Maguire and Lindelof Partnership

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yep, if you want to be objective, you have to admit that was a quality display yesterday.
Much more like the best bits of last season.

No idea why he and Shaw have had such a poor season so far. The worst post international tournament hangover for a long while.
Both were straight into my FPL. I was certain they would continue their form. How wrong I was. Good players who looked unfit (and unmotivated!) for far too long this season

devils not cry

the weaknes of Maguire is his lack of speed. against the speedy ST he will suffer alot and will surely make a stupid mistake.. honestly Lindelof and Varane partnership in CB make me more relax then Maguire n Lindelof.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thank fecking christ this is no longer our starting CB pairing.

How the feck did we mangage for 2/3 years with this?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Timber or a RB in the January window because we know we like saving our gunpowder for the summer. Both would be better

Sick of seeing Maguire's useless attempts at being a defender captain. I'm happier with Lindelof because he's slightly younger and I think can play well alongside a better CB - something Maguire cannot imho.

Boondog

Maguire needs to work on his awareness. Coaching can't do that for him he has to see it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Its incredible to think this was our first choice centre back pairing for years. :eek:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Unpopular opinion but I think we would win the league in 20/21 if we have Casemiro, Martinez, and Varane managed by ten Hag. Or worst case is losing the league by 1 point. Man City weren't that good in that season.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Unpopular opinion but I think we would win the league in 20/21 if we have Casemiro, Martinez, and Varane managed by ten Hag. Or worst case is losing the league by 1 point. Man City weren't that good in that season.
To be fair we actually had a pretty decent defensive record that season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To be fair we actually had a pretty decent defensive record that season.
44 goals conceded, which more than Liverpool (42) who had poor season as well and also more than Chelsea (36). I wouldn't call it decent, it was poor. I still remember the Everton game where we blew 2 goals lead. That season, we had more defensive problem than offensive problem. Cavani 20/21 under ten Hag would be very good as well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

With Fred and Mctominay infront of them.

The issue is that they're still important to us and will continue to be until we get a Varane alternative / replacement

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Crazy to think two of the worst defenders in the club right now was a long time starter for us (Maguire and AWB). The people responsible for that transfer should be tried in front of a court. If this kind of stuff happened in a company they would call it money laundering. 130m for two clowns no wonder we were shit at defending

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
That first goal: once again Maguire marking exactly nowhere and standing in no man's land. anyone still blaming lindelof for being worse rally isn't looking properly. Every time with maguire. he never learns

Mmm-Qatarian

I don't know about their wider play in the game because I only watched the highlights. However, the goals Villa scored weren't primarily the fault of these two in my opinion.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Sitting deep, counter attack with 2 CDM's parked ahead all game.

Once we attempted to start playing more expansive football we got opened up with ease.

UpWithRivers

I don't know about their wider play in the game because I only watched the highlights. However, the goals Villa scored weren't primarily the fault of these two in my opinion.
The fault of both goals was Villa driving through our midfield like a knife through butter and on to our defense. This leaves the defenders backtracking trying to stay in position for the runner from midfield and also to track the runners from midfield. This was the exact situation from Sunday where Martinez played and had one of if not his worst games. Defending is not your back 4 and keeper. Its what's happening in front of them as well. Not saying they didnt make mistakes but putting it all on Maguire or Lindelof on Sunday is missing the big picture

Mmm-Qatarian

The fault of both goals was Villa driving through our midfield like a knife through butter and on to our defense. This leaves the defenders backtracking trying to stay in position for the runner from midfield and also to track the runners from midfield. This was the exact situation from Sunday where Martinez played and had one of if not his worst games. Defending is not your back 4 and keeper. Its what's happening in front of them as well. Not saying they didnt make mistakes but putting it all on Maguire or Lindelof on Sunday is missing the big picture
I completely agree. I'd say the McTominay and Fred partnership is a bigger problem defensively than the Maguire and Lindelof partnership.

Oranges038

Those two with Fed and McT in midfield in front of them is just terrible.

No idea how the 4 of them are still getting on the pitch.

AFC NimbleThumb

To think we were subjected to watching this duo play together week in week out for years being told by many they were ‘good enough’ really makes me than my lucky stars for Varane & Martinez.

Neither is/nor has ever been good
enough. 2023 should be their last years here.

Last edited:

Kag

Lindelof has defended quite well, to be fair, but they’re absolutely painful on the ball.

Stick in McTominay infront of them and you look like a sixth placed team again.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Lindelof has defended quite well, to be fair, but they’re absolutely painful on the ball.

Stick in McTominay infront of them and you look like a sixth placed team again.
Yeah you just imagine what Martinez would do on the ball when you see these guys just tap it out of play when they feel in danger.

Irwin99

They're decent defenders but they're both so unassertive compared to Martinez that it's just ridiculous. Both like to play the square ball, and Maguire likes the long diagonal pass (50-50 whether it comes off) . Martinez just moves it so much quicker through the lines.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
At least Lindelöf has the ability and courage to play a forward pass, or break the lines with a sprint every now and then. Genuinely hope this is the last start for Maguire in a United shirt. Even his sideways passes are so slow that the West Ham forwards always have time to put pressure on whoever receives the pass. Oh and it's becoming a regular thing for him to get a booking on the halfway line because of his lack of pace.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
At least Lindelöf has the ability and courage to play a forward pass, or break the lines with a sprint every now and then. Genuinely hope this is the last start for Maguire in a United shirt. Even his sideways passes are so slow that the West Ham forwards always have time to put pressure on whoever receives the pass. Oh and it's becoming a regular thing for him to get a booking on the halfway line because of his lack of pace.
Maguire is horrendous, his passing and touch is championship level.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Maguire is horrendous, his passing and touch is championship level.
Yeap unfortunately. He slows our game down so much. Would rather watch him hoof in forwards than this shit. The man can't put the right amount of weight on his pass, ever. The rare times he tries to give a hard pass, it's all bouncy and tough for the recipient. This is horrific to watch.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Yeap unfortunately. He slows our game down so much. Would rather watch him hoof in forwards than this shit. The man can't put the right amount of weight on his pass, ever. The rare times he tries to give a hard pass, it's all bouncy and tough for the recipient. This is horrific to watch.
Casemiro asks for the ball and Maguire shoos him away, he then steps into midfield like a listing oil tanker and plays a clipped ball to Garnacho that is far to high and takes us backwards.

I’m loving my life

Maguire is the football player equivalent of the Glazers

Instead of leeching our finances, he drains all quality from our team