Maguire | he stays!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I can think of 190,000 reasons a week it might make some sense, obviously a sale is better but taking 10m pounds off the wage bill isn't nothing.
It is when you have to spend more than 10m to get a replacement + wages.

Wolverine

No significant incentive for him to move when big money and also regular starting XI for England national team despite paucity of appearances for club. But who knows what he's thinking at the moment with regards to move/pressing for one

Robbie Boy

I can think of 190,000 reasons a week it might make some sense, obviously a sale is better but taking 10m pounds off the wage bill isn't nothing.
I doubt they would pay all his wages, but even if they did, we would still have to fork out on a replacement. I'm not a fan of his, but he's worth 30m +, and we need to be getting a fee for him. A loan makes zero sense.

Djemba-Djemba

2 - if Varane and Lindelof get injured he starts and the former will get injured
If Varane and Lindelof got injured it would be Martinez and Shaw at centre back wouldn't it?

He's essentially 5th choice.

A loan move makes no sense and would go the same way all our loan moves seem to, he'd go there and be crap and then a year later we're stuck with him again. Just like Martial and Bailly.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

No significant incentive for him to move when big money and also regular starting XI for England national team despite paucity of appearances for club. But who knows what he's thinking at the moment with regards to move/pressing for one
No doubt that he's the one holding all the cards. I was reminded yesterday that he still has three more years on his current contract! If he has assurances from Southgate that his place in the England squad is secure, he can wait until the summer and try to raise his stock in the Euros. Maybe a top-six club will think about it, you never know. My guess is that we are OK with that as an option. In the worst case scenario, he can run down his current contract, play the odd cup game and even add a winner's medal as a member of the squad, and, after that, get his agent to find him a club in the Middle East and retire as a very wealthy man.

ShinjiNinja26

Southgate’s to blame for this as well. Any other player would be seriously concerned about lack of game time costing them a spot in the national team so would be looking for a move quickly but there’s absolutely nothing to worry about for Harry as he knows even if he doesn’t kick a ball all season he’ll still walk straight into Southgate’s first eleven.

Wolverine

No doubt that he's the one holding all the cards. I was reminded yesterday that he still has three more years on his current contract! If he has assurances from Southgate that his place in the England squad is secure, he can wait until the summer and try to raise his stock in the Euros. Maybe a top-six club will think about it, you never know. My guess is that we are OK with that as an option. In the worst case scenario, he can run down his current contract, play the odd cup game and even add a winner's medal as a member of the squad, and, after that, get his agent to find him a club in the Middle East and retire as a very wealthy man.
Part of me also wants to see how he does with a new keeper. And we do not deep squad to compete on different fronts. Its just a lot of money for somebody who's potentially behind Luke Shaw in the pecking order as a centre-back

Judas

Open to offers
Southgate’s to blame for this as well. Any other player would be seriously concerned about lack of game time costing them a spot in the national team so would be looking for a move quickly but there’s absolutely nothing to worry about for Harry as he knows even if he doesn’t kick a ball all season he’ll still walk straight into Southgate’s first eleven.
Yep. What sort of standard is that setting, seriously, it's tragic.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Agree on the Southgate comments and I also think if he had anything about himself he would be looking to leave. Fair play how he handled being stripped of the captaincy but coupled with being at least 4th choice (probably 5th), it's a message in huge lettering from the manager. I would think he would be looking too leave now but...we'll see I suppose.

Revaulx

Harry, bless him, doesn’t come across as particularly self-aware.

I have no doubt that he assumes that his England place is secure whether he plays for his club or not. But if Southgate feels that his rustiness will affect England’s chances of continuing to be dull but solid, he won’t hesitate to drop him. He isn’t Jose.

Borussia Teeth

Looks like he'll be staying. Hopefully Southgate grows a spine and doesn't start him (you know he makes the squad) in the competitive internationals leading up to Xmas. Hopefully this will urge him to seek an exit in January for his Euros place.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Part of me also wants to see how he does with a new keeper. And we do not deep squad to compete on different fronts. Its just a lot of money for somebody who's potentially behind Luke Shaw in the pecking order as a centre-back
Yeah, a sweeping keeper (and a more commanding one) will help matters on the defensive end. How much, i don't know... I've argued elsewhere that a centre-halve can make up for his lack of acceleration by reading the game well and being strong and assertive in his challenges. But Harry doesn't look comfortable doing that, either. The only time he seems to be in his natural environment is when he's clearing crosses in the box. I can see him coming on as a sub in the last 10–15 minutes of games when we have to protect a lead and the manager decides to concede a few yards to make the lines more compact. If he can build some confidence from that, it will benefit both him and the club.

Judas

Open to offers
Looks like he'll be staying. Hopefully Southgate grows a spine and doesn't start him (you know he makes the squad) in the competitive internationals leading up to Xmas. Hopefully this will urge him to seek an exit in January for his Euros place.
Does it? It's July 18th. The lack of patience is staggering :lol: I doubt he's still here when the window closes, but I do have a sneaky feeling it'll only be a loan which would be dumb dumb.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Watching WHU v. Spurs friendly. Spurs conceded two goals from set pieces. You know what you should do Spurs. Spurs players completely outnumbered West Ham in the box and still conceded.

m1tch

Come on 'plenty of options' make a bid at least, even if it's derisory. It feels a bit bad focusing on Maguire when there's about 6 players that equally need to go, but the difference is that you don't hear anything from Telles, Bailley, etc, acting like they're great players being held back by the club. Even Henderson has gone quiet for now.

m1tch

Watching WHU v. Spurs friendly. Spurs conceded two goals from set pieces. You know what you should do Spurs. Spurs players completely outnumbered West Ham in the box and still conceded.
Haven't we been one of the worst sides in recent years for defending set pieces though? :lol:
To be fair, De Gea played a big role in that.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I haven't watched SSN for some time, and now I remember why. Anyone on here could've given more insight, utter shite!
Every now and a again they get a guest from one of those youtube fan channels like Flex from United View and he gives more insight then the whole skysports crew.
I think Skysports news have always been the same. The difference is we as fans now have more options to accessing United news like dedicated fan channels, twitter and this forum.
Sky has become obsolete. Also, because they are an actual news channel and have to fact check everything, with their reputation on the line, by the time they're reporting stories, it's already old news. Hence the term Slow Sports News.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
If Varane and Lindelof got injured it would be Martinez and Shaw at centre back wouldn't it?

He's essentially 5th choice.

A loan move makes no sense and would go the same way all our loan moves seem to, he'd go there and be crap and then a year later we're stuck with him again. Just like Martial and Bailly.
No it wouldn't be Martinez and Shaw, ETH has made it quite clear that LCB's will be left footed and RCB's right footed unless there's no other choice

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No it wouldn't be Martinez and Shaw, ETH has made it quite clear that LCB's will be left footed and RCB's right footed unless there's no other choice
Didn't he play Varane / Lindelof CB partnership?
I agree he would probably play Martinez Maguire over Martinez Shaw, but I don't think its would because of left footedness and more to do with height and ariel coverage.

Last edited:
As far as I know Maguire has two years left on his contract. We could offer him to West Ham as a loan to buy deal. West ham take him next season and pay his wages, that's essentially a £10 million loan fee. If he completes 25 games for them they are obliged to buy at say £20 mill and they can offer him a three year contact at say £120,000 a week. That takes him up to 34 at an established premier league club who have been in Europe for the last two seasons winning a trophy. That's a reasonable deal all round, doesn't upset West hams wage structure, and possibly keeps him in the England team until the next world cup

Djemba-Djemba

I think if we had a big game next season and he had the choice it would be Shaw and Martinez together over Maguire playing with either.

Kag

He needs a clean break. If we can get between £30 and £40 million to put towards a more suitable replacement then I think all parties come out of this happy.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
He needs a clean break. If we can get between £30 and £40 million to put towards a more suitable replacement then I think all parties come out of this happy.
Except the mugs who'd pay £30-40M for this guy.

Kag

Except the mugs who'd pay £30-40M for this guy.
Nah, that’s rubbish. Maguire is a good defender and will show that again if and when he gets a move. The narrative that he’s some horrendous buffoon is childish.

That said, it’s time for him to leave United.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Nah, that’s rubbish. Maguire is a good defender and will show that again if and when he gets a move. The narrative that he’s some horrendous buffoon is childish.

That said, it’s time for him to leave United.
1. Stick him in a side that plays a high line and needs their CBs to be good with the ball then a horrendous buffoon is exactly what he is.

2. Stick him in a team that defends a bit deeper and doesn't often build out from the back with the ball and then he can be a good defender.

The thing is though, the clubs who could afford to pay £30-40M for him and also take on his sizeable wages will generally speaking belong to the first group. And on the other hand chances are most clubs where he'd be a good fit they either can't afford him and it's also possible the player himself wouldn't want to take such a big step down. So it's a bit of a conundrum.

Kag

1. Stick him in a side that plays a high line and needs their CBs to be good with the ball then a horrendous buffoon is exactly what he is.

2. Stick him in a team that defends a bit deeper and doesn't often build out from the back with the ball and then he can be a good defender.

The thing is though, the clubs who could afford to pay £30-40M for him and also take on his sizeable wages will generally speaking belong to the first group. And on the other hand chances are most clubs where he'd be a good fit they either can't afford him and it's also possible the player himself wouldn't want to take such a big step down. So it's a bit of a conundrum.
I don’t think a high line is as much of an issue as people say; it certainly hasn’t been his issue at United. He’s also fine on the ball. No Martinez, but no mug either.

Maguire doesn’t have the stones to cut it at United, ultimately. Most players don't, truth be told. He’s been sapped of all confidence over the past two years, and bore the brunt of the criticism when the squad collapsed under Ole and then Rangnick.

If he does leave then I think we’ll see the player that got the move to United in the first place. That Maguire is a good player, and certainly good enough to excel at West Ham, for example.

arthurka

We sure know how to sell our players.
Guys England starting CB and made the team of the tournament last WC. Brilliant player teams will be lucky to have him.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why are Sheffield United not in for him? No capeesh - it's so perfect.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Harry Maguire 'not short of options' if he decides to leave Manchester United this summer; England defender left angry by treatment and feels he has been effectively put up for sale;

He doesn't does he?

MetoTTT

This. And the lack of ambition. He is on massive wages and has "nothing to prove". Dear, he was our captain for years.

bosskeano

so he wants United to pay out his final two years 20m quid just so he can quit and leave??? fuk off you giant headed monster

Nogho

Chelsea could buy him. Fofana injured for the whole season. They need homegrown and they could get him relatively cheap. They can afford the wages. Chelsea also a club I guess Maguire himself could se as a “worthy” alternative.