Maguire | he stays!

criticalanalysis

Yeah, a sweeping keeper (and a more commanding one) will help matters on the defensive end. How much, i don't know... I've argued elsewhere that a centre-halve can make up for his lack of acceleration by reading the game well and being strong and assertive in his challenges. But Harry doesn't look comfortable doing that, either. The only time he seems to be in his natural environment is when he's clearing crosses in the box. I can see him coming on as a sub in the last 10–15 minutes of games when we have to protect a lead and the manager decides to concede a few yards to make the lines more compact. If he can build some confidence from that, it will benefit both him and the club.
He's actually decent and I could even say generally good at this in those small pockets of space i.e 5-15 yards where he can make interceptions etc. The issue is when there are larger gaps of space and the game becomes stretched. The first couple of seasons, he wasn't fantastic at it but he was serviceable; the last 2 years have absolutely destroyed him.

Him receiving passes from a sweeper keeper and then having more space to drive with the ball (because Onana will draw the opposition) may rekindle some of his better attributes back so it'll be interesting purely from a spectator's view. Regardless of what we think of him etc, as long as he's in the squad, it's only beneficial to support and hope he can play better.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea could buy him. Fofana injured for the whole season. They need homegrown and they could get him relatively cheap. They can afford the wages. Chelsea also a club I guess Maguire himself could se as a “worthy” alternative.
We were going to send Chalobah out on loan. We just need to keep him now. No need for Maguire. Major difference in wages and Trev can play at the same level as Maguire. Harry is not a bad player, just panics a little too easily and then he is out of position. Trev has a bit of panic in him too.

Gandalf

We were going to send Chalobah out on loan. We just need to keep him now. No need for Maguire. Major difference in wages and Trev can play at the same level as Maguire. Harry is not a bad player, just panics a little too easily and then he is out of position. Trev has a bit of panic in him too.
I miss 2022 Boehly, he might well have gone all in on Maguire but now he has some people who have a clue around him he is going to make sensible decisions. Spoilsports.

BaguetteBoy

I’m guessing these little panic moments might be avoided with more playing time. He gets pelted here for any little faults. He might be a good fit for Chelsea. Just depends if the board will feel more comfortable selling to West Ham than Chelsea. Hope for a little bidding war would be great for us

Reactions: Cheimoon

Valencia Shin Crosses

I’m guessing these little panic moments might be avoided with more playing time. He gets pelted here for any little faults. He might be a good fit for Chelsea. Just depends if the board will feel more comfortable selling to West Ham than Chelsea. Hope for a little bidding war would be great for us
I mean he was a nailed on starter for two seasons and begun last season as one as well. He is what he is at this point.

Bwuk

I hope Chelsea don’t retaliate at us for signing Mount by then signing our former captain Maguire...

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I hope Chelsea don’t retaliate at us for signing Mount by then signing our former captain Maguire...
Me too, I'd hate to lose our captain, indeed my captain, to a direct rival for the lowly sum of just £40-50m :angel:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully we can sell harry to chelsea
Even if Trev was not enough, there is a plan that includes nobody named Harry.

Other names will come into contention and one consideration for Chelsea will be whether they need a tall centre-back, especially as they lack height in central midfield. They are not interested in Manchester United’s Harry Maguire.

bdspeedy

DJ Khaled may be available for less and can point just as well as slabhead. Even though he's 20 years older, he may be a little quicker over 10 yards

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
West Ham are going to do a Spurs with that Rice money. Maguire + the yearly random 50M striker and it will all be gone before they've received the entire fee

hobbers

Ironically he would probably turn out to be a really good signing for West Ham.

Much better than McTominay anywhere.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
DJ Khaled may be available for less and can point just as well as slabhead. Even though he's 20 years older, he may be a little quicker over 10 yards
I disagree !!!
Nobody can point as well as Harry.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Ironically he would probably turn out to be a really good signing for West Ham.

Much better than McTominay anywhere.
Absolutely.

I know we take this piss out of him, but for West Ham he would be very good.

He'll still make the odd mistake - but in a more defensive, underdog team he will be a leader.

prateik

The pressure of playing for United gets to some players..
I remember Foster really struggled.. Maguire is and will be a very good player for most clubs..

It just hasnt worked for him here.. hit a rough patch and things just kept getting worse... He will instantly be the best defender at any club outside the top 5-6..

Red Royal

The pressure of playing for United gets to some players..
I remember Foster really struggled.. Maguire is and will be a very good player for most clubs..

It just hasnt worked for him here.. hit a rough patch and things just kept getting worse... He will instantly be the best defender at any club outside the top 5-6..
In Maguires case , I do not think it is pressure, he handle his 1st two seasons well and the memes didn't start. He just lost his form for whatever reason and was then found to be slow on the turn and not suited to a fast passing team. He will be fine at West Ham

Laurencio

Maguire would be excellent for West Ham. He very rarely makes serious mistakes while playing or England, so we know he can be good. There will be less pressure, and he will instantly be the top defender at the club. He was quite decent for us that first season to be fair, so this could be a good move by Moyes.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

In Maguires case , I do not think it is pressure, he handle his 1st two seasons well and the memes didn't start. He just lost his form for whatever reason and was then found to be slow on the turn and not suited to a fast passing team. He will be fine at West Ham
Getting arrested in Greece, tiredness after Euros, Ole trying the higher line. Or maybe he was just overhyped