Maguire | he stays!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Everton?

For 25m he’d be a very good CB purchase for a good few PL clubs.
But why would he? If you don't play a deep line and protect him, you're left with the issues that have ruined him here and shattered his confidence.

For that kind of outlay, especially on an older player, the expectation is experience, composure and absolutely assured play. Maguire unsettles a backline if he's left to lead it and make decisive plays and actions. It doesn't matter how it's sliced, these factors have blighted Maguire time and again - why is a club going to pay, say, £30m plus over £120k a week for a player who they are essentially taking a massive gamble on? You can take those risks for a half or third of the wage on a considerably younger player.

Outside of Moyes or Dyche, there's not a manager who is going to cater to Maguire's game and vulnerabilities whilst also making him the marquee signing and centrepiece of a transfer window.

'Several clubs' breaks down to two, objectively. Financially, it just doesn't make sense. Tactically, even less so - we're in an age of high or advancing lines and it'd be counterintuitive to put a deep-sitting CB into an aggressive, front-foot backline. You'd be letting the player you've just bought down and you'd be destabilising your own backline. Just bad business all-round, imo.

Moyes having money is hopefully the perfect storm for us - they're a harmonious match and a side Maguire has the chance to actually excel with. Having said that, I doubt West Ham fans will be eager to splurge the Rice money on Maguire, or even get him in at any rate we'd find agreeable.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he stays and sees out his contract we need to start callig him Mystic Mag. I wish he was that much of a immovable object on the pitch.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Ten hag changing his mind? i hope not
I imagine he’s told Harry that he is down his pecking order of CB’s, and that is clear from last season.

We’ve not been in for a CB since losing KMJ to Bayern, so I expect that this will go down to the last couple weeks of the transfer window. If we can get sell and buy a more suitable player for the system, we’ll go for it.

ETH doesn’t want to say we’re actively selling, or that Harry isn’t wanted, as it weakens our position to some degree.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How is it now people see him as a CB suitable for teams that park the buss? Pretty sure when we signed him we expected him to be a ball playing CB suitable for playing a higher line than we used to. Somehow its just forgotten.

E-mal

How is it now people see him as a CB suitable for teams that park the buss? Pretty sure when we signed him we expected him to be a ball playing CB suitable for playing a higher line than we used to. Somehow its just forgotten.
Since people realized that to play a high line you need defenders with pace and excellent one on one

A good percentage of the fans were against his signing from the get go

Trex

I don't think ETH is against him staying so far as he accepts his place within the squad and he loss of the armband. If his ego can handle that then he's not bad for the role he'll be taking.
To be fair it would be tough for anyone to swallow so its a decision for him to make, he seems to want to stay though.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I don't think ETH is against him staying so far as he accepts his place within the squad and he loss of the armband. If his ego can handle that then he's not bad for the role he'll be taking.
To be fair it would be tough for anyone to swallow so its a decision for him to make, he seems to want to stay though.
If we can't sell players like Maguire, Dvb etc, then it's a damning indictment of our setup. The worst part is, we desperately need funds to buy a top striker.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He does use Maguire when crosses come in, I do wonder if maguire thinks if he can improve in front of a proactive gk to de gea in onana.

Trex

If we can't sell players like Maguire, Dvb etc, then it's a damning indictment of our setup. The worst part is, we desperately need funds to buy a top striker.
We already know who we're buying in attack and I don't think we're counting on Maguire to fund the move. Like ETH said in the past its up to Maguire, he either accept the lesser role or depart. I've no problem either way.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
We already know who we're buying in attack and I don't think we're counting on Maguire to fund the move. Like ETH said in the past its up to Maguire, he either accept the lesser role or depart. I've no problem either way.
I think we are setting up Hojlund unfairly in that case. He is a good youngster but not shown anything yet to be the focal point of goals for a club like us. We could and should go for Osimhen by selling absolute deadwood like Maguire.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I started supporting Leicester in 1960 (8 years old) but I did enjoy watching Maguire when he played for us !! We were playing pretty basic football & it suited him to a tee. I watch him play for Man Utd under ETH and he looks ill at ease & uncomfortable. He was never worth 80 big ones but Manchester management had a massive hard-on for him and the club are now paying the price.
I was an ST at Hull and he was great for us, genuinely quality for a team that isn’t going to see the lions share of the ball. I knew he’d be a hit at Leicester and thought you pulled our pants down money wise (same summer we let Robertson go to Liverpool for 7M :wenger:).

It’s a shame it’s gone so tits up for him at United as I don’t see him as this ridiculous egomaniac cartoon figure that most of our fan base do. I think he’ll end up going to a West Ham or an Everton and establish some decent form there

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This is the reality, which would inevitably include his England place (Southgate won’t play him if he’s clearly 4/5th choice at United)

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Ten Hag said he needs 4 centre backs mimimum (maybe even 1 more) and that he can fight for his place in the team.

I don't think it's a priority to get rid many think. We'd only need the funds to buy another.

AneRu

I think we are setting up Hojlund unfairly in that case. He is a good youngster but not shown anything yet to be the focal point of goals for a club like us. We could and should go for Osimhen by selling absolute deadwood like Maguire.
The decision has been made and I don't think Hoijlund would be our starting striker from the beginning - he will be eased in whilst Rashford takes the strikers' responsibilities initially. I think we are banking on possibility that as a player he is pretty close to getting it all together, understanding his game more and merging his physical and tactical attributes into becoming a very good player and if this happens whilst he is at Atalanta then he will be priced out of a move.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Ten Hag said he needs 4 centre backs mimimum (maybe even 1 more) and that he can fight for his place in the team.

I don't think it's a priority to get rid many think. We'd only need the funds to buy another.
Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, Shaw and Evans. I don’t see any net positive of Maguire being kept in the squad. None whatsoever.

Marwood

Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, Shaw and Evans. I don’t see any net positive of Maguire being kept in the squad. None whatsoever.
Because I think you need more than one CB with a bit of height/stature. Especially when that one CB is Varane.

Evans you can't factor in here. If he's not in America he's obviously not going to be considered for the first team.

Borussia Teeth

We're not gonna improve our position in terms of ffp by selling Maguire. We would need 27m just to break even by all accounts. The rest of the 'absolute deadwood' will not generate enough money either considering we have already spent 100m. Osimhen is unaffordable, although I would love to sign him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If I were Maguire I'd already have been worried at seeing Lindelof undoubtedly move ahead of him in the pecking order.
And even more worried at seeing how superb Shaw looks in the centre.

But signing a veteran Jonny Evans up? That has to be the final straw?!

Adamsk7

I don't know what he said to Harry in private and nobody knows that. But i know what he said in public. After this words, why would Harry even consider moving? We all learned from Harry's interviews that Harry has very high opinion about himself. He will stay and "fight" for his place after this.
Eh? You’ve said yourself you don’t know what is said in private. He may have literally said “you’re for sale” in private - I don’t think Maguire is then going to go “well the gaffer said I can fight for my place to the tabloids so it’s all good!!” They all know the media game and what is said publicly is not worth anything. Look at De Gea, Ronaldo etc

mctrials23

Maguire will be sold by the club if they can get a sum they are happy with. If not he will be 4th/5th choice CB. Its pretty simple. We clearly aren't going to find it easy to sell him for the amount we seem to want so at that point EtH has a CB who is generally fit and willing so why wouldn't he use him if needs be.

Devil81

I wonder if the club are trying to work him into any potential Kane deal.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It’s not forgotten; Maguire is a shadow of the player he came here as, so it doesn’t factor anymore. It’d be like asking why Martial isn’t that dynamic player taking on back lines for fun, like he used to be - that player is long gone too.

Maguire has lost his confidence in the proactive things he used to do and hesitates at the times he should be ruthless, efficient and decisive, his pace - or lack of - gets the blame, but it’s far down the pecking order of what’s wrong or gone - he doesn’t read the play, then he gets caught out, then he flaps and makes those comedic looking errors that are memed to death; Maguire was too expensive when bought, but he wasn’t the player who doubted himself or had that cumulative mental scarring he now does, which heavily influences how he now plays and what he is comfortable doing out there. His solace is heavy insulation in negative setups as we’ve seen for his country where he’s never as bad as he is for ourselves.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Astonished that ETH still thinks this guy ha a role to play. I guess will hang on to him and then let him go for nothing... talk about never learning from mistakes

Kaos

Astonished that ETH still thinks this guy ha a role to play. I guess will hang on to him and then let him go for nothing... talk about never learning from mistakes
He was asked the question - he's obviously not going to answer by saying he's surplus to requirements and he should leave. Firstly its unprofessional to say he's unwanted, and secondly it screws us over as a seller since it'll make us look desperate to get rid.

Kammy26

It’s not like we are turning down bids left, right and centre. No one wants him…. Yet

Secondly ETH has to say that stuff in public, otherwise he risks a dressing room fall out and reduces our negotiating position if any one does come in for him.

Partridge

ffs... eat 100k of the remaining 3 years of this donkey's contract as a part of any deal (NO club stupid enough to buy Harry, would ever consider paying him anything along the lines of what we do), and SELL immediately... ask for 30, accept 20.

How he is still a part of the club is ridiculous
We just need to get rid of him. Sell him for around £20 - £25. Price is £30 million, in preperation for being knocked down. His wages are mental and i cannot see another club offering that.

Irwin99

It doesn't mean a lot.

People were losing their minds about his DDG comments towards the end of last season when he was hardly likely to say 'well, I have a subpar goalkeeper and I can't wait until the season ends so i can replace him".

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It’s not like we are turning down bids left, right and centre. No one wants him…. Yet

Secondly ETH has to say that stuff in public, otherwise he risks a dressing room fall out and reduces our negotiating position if any one does come in for him.
Or.....he can say nothing. Like he does for Hendo, Fred, Elanga, Telles, Bailly and all other players.
Saying all this for Maguire means that he is not against Harry staying.

People keep talking about Ronaldo scenario and Eth's words about him. People forget that Eth didn't sell Ronaldo. He wanted him for backup. But Ronaldo was the one who caused exit with interview.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Or.....he can say nothing. Like he does for Hendo, Fred, Elanga, Telles, Bailly and all other players.

People keep talking about Ronaldo scenario and Eth's words about him. People forget that Eth didn't sell Ronaldo. He wanted him for backup. But Ronaldo was the one who caused exit with interview.
None of those players are important for journalists. They don’t play regularly for the England national team either. Only Maguire is high profile enough and that’s why they keep asking questions about him. Regardless if ETH would or would not mind keeping him he can’t say anything different.

Kaos

Wasn't he directly asked a question about Maguire? A bit odd if he responds with silence in an interview.

He'd have given the same response if they'd asked him about any of the other players you listed.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
None of those players are important for journalists. They don’t play regularly for the England national team either. Only Maguire is high profile enough and that’s why they keep asking questions about him. Regardless if ETH would or would not mind keeping him he can’t say anything different.
Yes, he can.
"I will not comment on potential outgoing and incoming transfers". "Maguire is part of the squad as any other player (without further explanation)". "Every player knows what i think about him" (again without further explanation).
Even when manager says in public something clearly (as Erik just did), fans still spin that how they want.

Ok, lets see what will happen. Based on these quotes i think that Erik doesn't mind having Harry as 4th option which means that we will not look to sell him or Harry to push for transfer. Especially to West Ham.
Only way to sell Harry is that Chelsea or Spurs come with good offer.

If we sell him to West Ham i will be very happy to say; " I am Jon Snow and i know absolutely nothing".:)