Maguire | he stays!

OrcaFat

I didn't see the first half so I can't comment on what happened in that, but there was noting wrong with the second half performance, does it mean he's good enough to be at United, no it doesn't, but if you're gonna point out the shite then you should also do the dame with the good
He made the odd error but played pretty well especially at the end. To say he played like a captain wouldn’t be inaccurate imo. If he goes to the right club he will do very well, surely.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
We need to get an acceptable bid for him to let him go. No point selling him if it does not make sense according to ffp rules
An acceptable bid is presumably the amortized amount of what remains on the original transfer fee. So, something like 1/3 of £80m.

It looks a bit high given his age & because he was never actually worth £80m, but might be workable.

TsuWave

Hardly what happened. We said no to Mourinho’s transfer wishes because the relationship with the manager was turning sour and all the players he wanted at the club ended up performing badly, to the point where he wanted them replaced. Hell bent on signing Sanchez, who ended up playing (badly) on the left wing and having a negative impact on both Rashford and Martials form, a star signing underperforming so badly, and at extreme wages, it was hardly much of a surprise that the higher ups weren’t eager to jump on any of his other wishes. We had just spent large fees on both Bailly and Lindelof, neither of them performing well, and then his solution was to spend a record fee on a player that he could’ve signed instead of either Bailly or Lindelof, for much less money, as Maguire moved to for around £12mill the same year we spent £30mill on Lindelof, a year after we signed Bailly for over £30mill.

In terms of Maguire now, he’s in a hole he’s never digging himself out of, his performances are miles below what he’s capable of but he looks devoid of any confidence whatsoever.
I don't know what you're waffling on about - and I'm not going to read all that. Woodward said no to Maguire initially when Moyes wanted to pursue him - and then again when Mourinho wanted to. Woodward just wasn't feeling Maguire, it's OK

former Old Trafford boss David Moyes revealed United could have saved themselves a whopping £81m had they listened to him in 2013 after he singled out Maguire as one of his targets.

Sir Alex Ferguson told his Scottish compatriot that the England international would become a world-beater and he should snap him up.

The former Toffees boss then told his scouting team to keep tabs on him, but United ultimately decided against bringing him to Old Trafford.

zenith

An acceptable bid is presumably the amortized amount of what remains on the original transfer fee. So, something like 1/3 of £80m.

It looks a bit high given his age & because he was never actually worth £80m, but might be workable.
Yup, just about.

That ofcourse includes variable factors such as WHU matching his wages or him accepting a paycut. Not to mention him considering himself not to be above the level of the current europa champions.

Shimo

Footballers have a limited span for when they can make living off of playing, so can understand when players tend to look at making what they can in that time span and also being at one of the top clubs in the world same holds true also for players that they have a limited time on when they will be able play day in and day out. Easy enough to say but, at this point, with pretty much everything stacked against him as it is, manager on his pecking order amongst CBs, the fans overall and his continued mistakes on the pitch for the club, if I was him I'd be looking to compromise on the money enough to get out, go somewhere where a manager wants him as the starting CB.

Almost feel sorry for him, seems an honest enough person but, he has to recognize his time really is up here and do what he can to get to a team where he will play, especially with Euros next year, the last major tournament he might have a shot at being a starter with a manager who will give him every chance.

It's a win all round. We get shot of a player who will never be good enough here, West Ham get a player who is amongst the best there is at defending deep, and he gets a fresh start and a manager who thinks the sun shines out of his arse.

West Ham need to pull their fingers out and pay up.

Robbie Boy

What does Maguire "playing well" even mean anymore? Seems some think him doing the very basis is "playing well". The standards for him are on the floor. I really hope he leaves soon.

Valencia Shin Crosses

What does Maguire "playing well" even mean anymore? Seems some think him doing the very basis is "playing well". The standards for him are on the floor. I really hope he leaves soon.
Bizarre people are saying “he played well” for not fecking up in the second half like he did in the first to give away a goal. Literally the bare minimum for a defender is to not make unforced errors. And he couldn’t even do that.

Robbie Boy

Bizarre people are saying “he played well” for not fecking up in the second half like he did in the first to give away a goal. Literally the bare minimum for a defender is to not make unforced errors. And he couldn’t even do that.
That's it. Imagine saying the world's most expensive CB played well because he didn't feck up. It's like molly coddling at this point.

AndySmith1990

It's like a trouble maker at school getting praised for going a day without getting into trouble. He gets praised for doing well just for going 45 minutes without being a calamity

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
I didn't see the first half so I can't comment on what happened in that, but there was noting wrong with the second half performance, does it mean he's good enough to be at United, no it doesn't, but if you're gonna point out the shite then you should also do the same with the good
I don't think he was any good in the 2nd tbh, that's where we must differ.
Is it a case of not causing a goal, like for their goal, means a good half now? Is that how low our expectations are for him?

Again, nice job on the asisst, it's great he was so far out of position to win the header because thankfully he's not THAT terrible to score an own goal from all the way outside of the oppositions box (I'll never count him out though)
but saying that, we'd also have won if not for him.

He's finished and deservedly so. He thinks he's brilliant and has nothing to prove, his career is over.

Its all gone Shane Long

He's finished and deservedly so. He thinks he's brilliant and has nothing to prove, his career is over.
I wouldn’t say his career is over, more like it’s over with us, he’s West Ham/Everton standard.. he’d actually do well at Newcastle, could see him there and scoring against us.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
I don't know what you're waffling on about - and I'm not going to read all that. Woodward said no to Maguire initially when Moyes wanted to pursue him - and then again when Mourinho wanted to. Woodward just wasn't feeling Maguire, it's OK
That’s perfectly fine, reading isn’t for everyone.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/david-moyes-explains-put-signing-18923089

Moyes said: "We didn’t try to sign him [when at Man United] but we flagged him up at that time.

"I was very aware of the players in the lower leagues and had a made good career out of bringing them to Everton - whether that be Tim Cahill or all the ones we did through the years.

"Harry Maguire was another one I recognised. He played against Preston North End at home in a league game and I watched him and thought he played really well but at that time he was really big – he had a big a***.

To be fair he looks in terrific shape and he hasn’t changed at all really. When I went to United, we had Vidic, Rio, Jonny Evans, Michael Keane, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling

"So for us to go and buy another young centre-half wasn’t the biggest thing we needed at the time.

"And Harry Maguire has had to go on his journey. Sometimes the players need the journey to get to where they have to go. He might have struggled then."
Not sure why some are pretending that Woodward meddled, one of the root causes for the lack of value from the money we’ve spent over the years on transfers, and wages, is that we’ve gone to extreme lengths to sign whoever the, quite different, managers wanted at the time, rather than having a clear plan for the type of football we want to play and bringing in suitable players identified by our scouts. If Moyes had actually wanted Maguire at the time, we’d have signed him.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's honestly hilarious. Funny that his biggest defender on here also claims he missed the first half, and thought he was totally fine in the second half, so couldn't understand the criticism.
I'm not his biggest defender, he apparently fecked up in the first half but I'm not going to comment and be critical on something I didn't see, he didn't feck up in the second half which I did see, does that mean he's good enough, no it doesn't, should be sold, yes he should, does he deserve all the crap he gets, not IMO

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm not his biggest defender, he apparently fecked up in the first half but I'm not going to comment and be critical on something I didn't see, he didn't feck up in the second half which I did see, does that mean he's good enough, no it doesn't, should be sold, yes he should, does he deserve all the crap he gets, not IMO
We did play half of the second half a man up.
A performance like this if it was a competitive game and considering the final score as well I’d give as a solid 5 out of 10.

Stadjer

Agree. It is a bit sad and a bit funny at the same time that Maguire can have a good game when he didnt give a goal away in one half of football. If the goalkeeper had saved the goal his game would even be called a good game despite giving away a huge chance. Compare that to the standard some other players have to live up to...

Robbie Boy

Not sure what this rant is about tbh, as it wasn't directed at you.

Enigma_87

You know who
Agree. It is a bit sad and a bit funny at the same time that Maguire can have a good game when he didnt give a goal away in one half of football. If the goalkeeper had saved the goal his game would even be called a good game despite giving away a huge chance. Compare that to the standard some other players have to live up to...
Not a chance in hell if someone actually watched the first half.

10 mins in he made a crap clearance in our box resulting almost a free header for Bilbao forward which resulted a shot on goal.
Couple of mins before his feckup he did another crappy first touch which almost resulted in another one on one for Bilbao player - it led to Heaton keeping the ball in.
Nearly at the stroke of half time he cleared the ball clumsily into a corner kick when it was easier to pass it to a team mate or at least kick it into the stands for a throw in.
and these are just the ones I could remember from the top of my head..

I mean, in a competitive game he should've been hauled off at HT. In fact the best of him came when he was far from our goal and joined the attack, which speaks volumes.

TsuWave

Not sure why some are pretending that Woodward meddled, one of the root causes for the lack of value from the money we’ve spent over the years on transfers, and wages, is that we’ve gone to extreme lengths to sign whoever the, quite different, managers wanted at the time, rather than having a clear plan for the type of football we want to play and bringing in suitable players identified by our scouts. If Moyes had actually wanted Maguire at the time, we’d have signed him.
Yet I provided you a report that says Moyes wanted him and United decided against it - and similarly there are reports that Mourinho wanted Maguire - and again, United decided against it - which caused you to start writing fan-fiction I’m not interested in reading.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
West Ham look like they are signing Alvarez. I feel this maybe significant because he tends to play so deep he often becomes a 3rd CB in terms of positioning.

It probably reduces the need yet further for a CB. I think Moyes still wants another in but I think it reduces the need for whomever that is going to be somewhat.

As Maguire is homegrown that still helps West Ham so I'd still keep an eye on it, and I still got a sneaky feeling it will end up as a loan with obligation at the end of it as I don't think West Ham will go much past 20m they have already bid, especially with Alvarez basically here now.

Plastic Evra

Homegrown is apparently a big concern for them that is constraining their squad size currently, I read, they'd definitely need to add a couple of those... Buying British is maybe not just Moyes being an old conservative fool though to be fair I did read a passionate plea from a fan that buying expensive PL veterans with no resale value is a problem, economics-wise.

Some think that McTominay would be a good complement to Alvarez in that midfield playing the B2B piston. He counts as homegrown (right ?), is not too old yet and probably is at the right level of wages for them even with a raise. I think West Ham will continue showing interest this window and can probably go so far as 35m£ for him which I think is fair (if below United asking price).

Robbie Boy

Strange because you mentioned something I said
Strange, because I didn't read what you had said and directed it at 'Maguire's biggest fan on here'. If you don't know who that is; a wee look back through any previous performance threads will give you a whopping clue.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Homegrown is apparently a big concern for them that is constraining their squad size currently, I read, they'd definitely need to add a couple of those... Buying British is maybe not just Moyes being an old conservative fool though to be fair I did read a passionate plea from a fan that buying expensive PL veterans with no resale value is a problem, economics-wise.

Some think that McTominay would be a good complement to Alvarez in that midfield playing the B2B piston. He counts as homegrown (right ?), is not too old yet and probably is at the right level of wages for them even with a raise. I think West Ham will continue showing interest this window and can probably go so far as 35m£ for him which I think is fair (if below United asking price).
McTominay b2b is actually excellent for them, to be fair, so it makes sense. He also doesn't come with confidence issues - quite sure he'd go there and thrive.

Bogga

As people usually say... I'd drive them down to London if we got 60 million for them both

Telsim

This kind of money would be absolutely outstanding business. A lot more than I thought we would be getting. I'd immediately ship them, before West Ham change their mind.

SATA

This kind of money would be absolutely outstanding business. A lot more than I thought we would be getting. I'd immediately ship them, before West Ham change their mind.
It would have to depend on the two players involved as well. We can’t just ship players out if they don’t want to go

wolvored

Ask for £35 mill for Maguire and offer £5 mill to Maguire to sweeten the loss of wages. This might give him the nudge and we still get the money to buy Amrabat.