Maguire | he stays!

NiceGuyEddie

I would blame Maguire absolutely.

My last job I had back in 2018. I was planning on leaving to start my own business and hated the place. I had a kid on the way and I had the opportunity to use the companies great paternity leave and get full pay for 6 months. Loads of employees were trying to convince me to take it rinse the company. I didn’t because I wanted to move forward with my life and see the back of the company. I turned money away to grow as a person. It’s not all about money. Self worth is more important.
In my book, that's known as shooting yourself in the foot. If the company were being tw@ts and you hated it, you had every right to rinse them. But I do understand the desire to wipe the slate clean and move on with a clear conscience.

Maguire's case is different, his performances have consistently fallen woefully short of the expected level at his pay grade, while others have shined. However they dress it up, an £80M mega signing has turned into a global laughing stock. If the reports of him wanting a bigger severance are true, he ought to hang his head in shame. Pure greed from somebody who is already a very, very wealthy individual, perhaps undeservingly so. Any other industry, he'd be laughed out of the CEO's office. Fortunately for him, the board need to claw back some of their losses.

Alemar

So what do people think, we're seeing him on the bench today or not?
We don’t have clarity on the status of Jonny Evans. If he is eligible for selection, then the answer would likely be “no”

Redlyn

In my book, that's known as shooting yourself in the foot. If the company were being tw@ts and you hated it, you had every right to rinse them. But I do understand the desire to wipe the slate clean and move on with a clear conscience.

Maguire's case is different, his performances have consistently fallen woefully short of the expected level at his pay grade, while others have shined. However they dress it up, an £80M mega signing has turned into a global laughing stock. If the reports of him wanting a bigger severance are true, he ought to hang his head in shame. Pure greed from somebody who is already a very, very wealthy individual, perhaps undeservingly so. Any other industry, he'd be laughed out of the CEO's office. Fortunately for him, the board need to claw back some of their losses.
He is not asking for more than he is due I didn't see what is greedy about it. United need to pay up and move on and stop offering silly contracts to average players.

NiceGuyEddie

He's not greedy for getting his dues. United need to pay up and move on and stop offering silly contracts to average players.
His dues were contingent on him not resembling a clown every time he stepped on the pitch. You wouldn't get away with it in the real world.

Pronewbie

Peep
It makes absolute sense for the club to want to pay less money upfront simply because of Time Value of Money. It's greedy for Maguire to want the full amount upfront.

Edit: Maguire's full contract of 190K/week (~30M over 3 years) in Present Value is worth ~25M assuming 10%p.a. inflation over the next 3 years. That's a 5M difference.

Last edited:

Redlyn

It makes absolute sense for the club to want to pay less money upfront simply because of Time Value of Money. It's greedy for Maguire to want the full amount upfront.

Edit: Maguire's full contract of 190K/week (~30M over 3 years) in Present Value is worth ~25M assuming 10%p.a. inflation over the next 3 years. That's a 5M difference.
His severance pay relates to the difference between the offer at westham vs what he is earning in his current contract. So it would be under half of that amount.
Let's call it 10m. I would imagine there is a gap between what united want to give him vs what he wants. I just hope they sort it out. Doesn't make sense for either party for him to stay over a few million.

Pronewbie

Peep
His severance pay relates to the difference between the offer at westham vs what he is earning in his current contract. So it would be under half of that amount.
Let's call it 10m. I would imagine there is a gap between what united want to give him vs what he wants. I just hope they sort it out. Doesn't make sense for either party for him to stay over a few million.
Oh yes of course and I agree that we shouldn't quibble over the 2M or so.

samlee86

Why is it shameless? This is standard practice in football
Is it though. Are Chelsea paying off Koulibaly and Haveratz.

Also, there is a Euros next summer. Does he not want to play for Engurland. Is he happy to play only 7 or 8 games next season.

Ultimately if he wants his contract to be honoured then he has to stay at the club for the next 2 years. And as long as he doesn’t play in the first team then most fans won’t care.

Maguire has no leverage in this situation. It’s either move to West Ham or early retirement.

Santos J

Also, there is a Euros next summer. Does he not want to play for Engurland. Is he happy to play only 7 or 8 games next season.

Ultimately if he wants his contract to be honoured then he has to stay at the club for the next 2 years. And as long as he doesn’t play in the first team then most fans won’t care.

Maguire has no leverage in this situation. It’s either move to West Ham or early retirement.
No, because they're getting paid more than they would be at Chelsea. If West Ham we're offering him £250k p/w we wouldn't be having to pay him off.

samlee86

Harsh, he signed a contract with us where we guaranteed him £X for a set period. He’s not wrong to want to hold us to it, as annoying as it is.
Sure but part of the agreement is that he has to be a Manchester United player to receive those wages. And the manger is under no obligation to play him. So going by the contract, he can warm the reserve bench and pick up his salary for the next 2 years.

Which means he can write off his international career.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Harsh, he signed a contract with us where we guaranteed him £X for a set period. He’s not wrong to want to hold us to it, as annoying as it is.
Makes zero sense, the contract is predicated on him being a United player. If he leaves the contract is void

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Whether we like it or not, United agreed to pay him X amount of wages. He has a contract to that effect and is well within his rights to not accept loss of earnings, even if he leaves. We would all do the same.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Not pointing fingers at anyone but is it that different in essence with the speculated 17m€ in deferred wages that were due to de Jong by FC Barca ?
I feel people here last year were more sympathetic to the player in that hypothetical.
Of course they were, FDJ is wanted by a lot of fans and Maguire isn't

Cassidy

Not pointing fingers at anyone but is it that different in essence with the speculated 17m€ in deferred wages that were due to de Jong by FC Barca ?
I feel people here last year were more sympathetic to the player in that hypothetical.
You are talking about deferred wages vs future wages.
There isn't a comparison here.

Dannn411

De Jong's wages were already earned but not received. Maguire wants a payout roughly equivalent to what he is owed on the rest of his contract.

Also De Jong is sought after by fans and the club. As evidenced by this thread, most people want Maguire gone.

Giggsyking

No shit, but his agent simply has to negotiate the best severance package. Just saying “ok, I’ll take whatever cause I want to play” is fantasy land stuff.
He’ll go, but only after his agent has got him the best deal he thinks possible, and rightfully so.

Why are people such utter numpties regarding this?
Responding to people like your attitude is not worth it. Write your opinion respectfully or do not engage with others.

Darlington Padgett

Makes zero sense, the contract is predicated on him being a United player. If he leaves the contract is void
That's the problem, he can stay and collect the money but the club wants him out. That's the club's problem, not his. Everyone insulting him and calling him names for wanting his money are delusional.

Cassidy

That's the problem, he can stay and collect the money but the club wants him out. That's the club's problem, not his. Everyone insulting him and calling him names for wanting his money are delusional.
According to ETH, its Maguire who wants out, he just also wants his money too

Zed 101

I would blame Maguire absolutely.

My last job I had back in 2018. I was planning on leaving to start my own business and hated the place. I had a kid on the way and I had the opportunity to use the companies great paternity leave and get full pay for 6 months. Loads of employees were trying to convince me to take it rinse the company. I didn’t because I wanted to move forward with my life and see the back of the company. I turned money away to grow as a person. It’s not all about money. Self worth is more important.
Yeah you are a rare individual, if a competitor offered to double my wages no loyalty and if it was a choice of moving and losing money not a chance

justsomebloke

It obviously isn't reasonable for Maguire to expect to be paid his contract in full, and it would be absurd for United to do so. Also, I don't think he's got the leverage to get the full difference between his United salary and whatever West Ham will pay him for the next two years. It won't do his career earnings any good if he spends the next two years pushed out into the cold in United. The reasonable compromise point is a buyout that leaves him with less than he'd make at United, but more than West Ham will pay him.

padzilla

Hipster

If he's fulfilled his end of the contract, which he clearly has then it's up to the club to sufficiently compensate him, it's a sign of how badly we were run under Woodward that we're still dealing with the hangovers from paying premium wages to less than premium players over a sustained period of time.

Maguire will lose about 10 million quid in wages if he leaves us for West Ham, it's not hard to see why there might be a certain reluctance to lose that.

Alemar

That's the problem, he can stay and collect the money but the club wants him out. That's the club's problem, not his.
It’s his problem too, for as long as he doesn’t plan to retire in 2 years. Clearly United may afford to have him at Phil Jones status (ie outside registered squads). But he will find it hard to get new contract elsewhere in 2 years if it happens, especially good contract

Plastic Evra

You are talking about deferred wages vs future wages.
There isn't a comparison here.
I'd say this depends very much on the particulars of those "deferred wages". If de Jong agreed to have a back loaded contract (whether when he signed or if he agreed to restructuring his contract during) -which was the impression I got from last year's discussion, though I doubt the exact verbiage of the contract is public for us-, I could be as legalistically stubborn "well he signed a deal of his own free will... Does he want to play football or not ?"

We have very binary discussions, as fans, about this whole business when in fact there's plenty of money not accounted for in reported transfer fees : wages, signing bonus, agent's commission, plenty of money to grease the cogs. I'd imagine those sort of deals are pretty common place while rarely reported in details. Wages get subsidized on many loans. A player being bought out of his contract to release him is not uncommon.

By far the best financial solution for United is to transfer him off for some compensation. This can only be done with his approval. Allegedly he'll only agree if he's made whole for the earnings (fully or partially) he'll get over the two next years if he stayed put. I can't really blame him for leveraging his position. I don't know if I agree on the rationale of expected earnings either, but I don't think the train of thought is completely alien or unreasonable either.

Cassidy

I'd say this depends very much on the particulars of those "deferred wages". If de Jong agreed to have a back loaded contract (whether when he signed or if he agreed to restructuring his contract during) -which was the impression I got from last year's discussion, though I doubt the exact verbiage of the contract is public for us-, I could be as legalistically stubborn "well he signed a deal of his own free will... Does he want to play football or not ?"

We have very binary discussions, as fans, about this whole business when in fact there's plenty of money not accounted for in reported transfer fees : wages, signing bonus, agent's commission, plenty of money to grease the cogs. I'd imagine those sort of deals are pretty common place while rarely reported in details. Wages get subsidized on many loans. A player being bought out of his contract to release him is not uncommon.

By far the best financial solution for United is to transfer him off for some compensation. This can only be done with his approval. Allegedly he'll only agree if he's made whole for the earnings (fully or partially) he'll get over the two next years if he stay put. I can't really blame him for leveraging his position. I don't know if I agree on the rationale of expected earnings either, but I don't think the train of thought is completely alien or unreasonable either.
Its more certainly unreasonable to want to leave your current employment, but also want them to pay you for unearned wages.
The only president for that type of payout is a contract termination.

Plastic Evra

Its more certainly unreasonable to want to leave your current employment, but also want them to pay you for unearned wages.
I might be wrong because I'm not in his head but I feel the club is more interested in him leaving than he was.

Cassidy

I might be wrong because I'm not in his head but I feel the club is more interested in him leaving than he was.
I'm going off what ETH is saying. I'm pretty sure that the timing of what he said is also not a coincidence.
The only reason he would want to stay at United is for the wages.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I understand its his right. But he he has to sacrifice a little bit to play football again, he can not have it both ways. He will be getting 6m severance instead of the rest of his 10m difference in wages but with the chance to preserve his place in the NT and play another season in Europe.
He doesn't have to sacrifice anything.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

He signed a contract and United signed that contract. He did not ask to leave. United asked him to leave. United therefore are responsible for ensuring that he gets compensated for loss of earnings. He will also be entitled to any end of contract bonuses since he did not request to leave.

all standard practice.

Borussia Teeth

Self-sabotage part of me nearly wishes he stayed, sat on the bench all season (or even better ETH doesn't select him for the bench and goes for Lindelof / Pavard? instead), then Maguire misses the Euro squad. Yes I am petty.
I too, am petty. I wouldn't mind this situation. I don't think the club should bend over backwards to pay him off.

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
He signed a contract and United signed that contract. He did not ask to leave. United asked him to leave. United therefore are responsible for ensuring that he gets compensated for loss of earnings. He will also be entitled to any end of contract bonuses since he did not request to leave.

all standard practice.
It’s a negotiation. If United wants him to move on they should pay. If Harry wants to move on so he can play more than he should just accept lower wage.

AneRu

I too, am petty. I wouldn't mind this situation. I don't think the club should bend over backwards to pay him off.
We made the mistake of buying him and giving him that package so it's only fair we pay heavily for such a mistake. What's important for the club is just to move on from this debacle, what we will be losing on fees is just pennies (I know there are millions involved) because the benefit of having a proper back up/competition to Varane on half the wage will be immense in the long run. Paying him off 10m is worth it if we walk away from the deal with 20m and habing let go of a useless player on outrageous wages.

gajender

all standard practice.
Too much sense , but I think you are wrong in a sense that United are forcing Maguire out its more like Mutual decision to move on So though Maguire would definitely get a pay off but it would be more like some part of lost wages and similar in terms of Bonuses and there is nothing wrong in that some in Our fan base have lost all sense of perspective it seems if they think that's something to hold against Maguire .