Maguire | he stays!

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Another one to add to Arnold and Murtough's failures if they can't move him.
Think they are right not to give him what he wants, otherwise VDB, Bailly and all the other ones would like to be paid to leave.

It has to be one the ones that paid 90M for him and gave him nearly 10M per year.

Let him stay on the bench, playing a game here and there and miss the Euro this summer.

Then we may sell him in a Championship club.

He's furious with the club potentially and want to be paid, but he doesn't understand that he's the cause of this comedy.

I understand why a player doesn't want to take less money, but when you've already been offered a substantial payoff and the alternative is rotting on the bench (if that) then it's just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. He's come across as a total prick in virtually everything he's done over the last couple of years.

Suv666

I think there's about 90k a week's difference, but I don't have that many fingers to confirm.
I don't think he meant the amount but the lifestyle change that comes with it. Your spending habits are going to be similar if you're on 100k or 190k. After you hit a certain amount of wages its just money sitting in the bank anyway.

Aint gota Kalou

If he's really having to take a 90k per week cut I can't blame him too much. There has to be some middle ground here

justsomebloke

Well yeah it's a pretty massive difference, after tax you're looking at taking home just over £100k a week on £190k and just over £53k on £100k.

I wouldn't be walking away from that without being compensated if I was in his shoes.
Not even if that meant wasting probably the last couple of peak years of your career and likely dropping out of the England team for good, in order to sit on the bench for a club where you used to be captain and that has more supporters than any other club in the world, the great majority of whom just wish you weren't there? Then you must really love having more money than you'll ever need rather than having slightly less but still more than you'll ever need.

Kammy26

We will never stop signing shit players like Maguire on big wages until the managers are stopped having full authority over transfers. This has to stop, we need a DOF. This is one of my main issues with the glazers.

We did it last year with Antony and looks like we done it again this year with Mount.

I’m f sick of it.

AneRu

I don't get why players are so desperate to keep their wages if the next move offers less.

- Is there really that much difference between earning £190k a week and £100k a week?
- You got a move to one of the world's best, hence the wage, but you have failed there. Therefore you don't deserve those wages.
It's simple he failed at United but lacks the self respect and honor it takes to accept the consequences of that failure. So much for our heralded cultural reset - the cornerstone of that policy doesn't even one to move to play more, too content to sit on the bench on a fat contract. No pride whatsoever, at least Jones was nursing a career ending injury.

Suv666

What a disaster Maguire has been fecking shit show from top to bottom

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think he meant the amount but the lifestyle change that comes with it. Your spending habits are going to be similar if you're on 100k or 190k. After you hit a certain amount of wages its just money sitting in the bank anyway.
It depends a lot on who you are supporting. Athletes or artists are often taking care of more than their own lifestyle.

ErikElevenHag

Club is utterly worthless at doing anything that actually needs to be done in the market.

We don’t need a replacement ready to let a 5th choice centreback go. What fecking cretins
What does this have to do with the club? We have accepted the 30 million offered by West Ham, it's Maguire who is holding this up by not accepting personal terms.

The only mistake the club ever made was signing him in the first place. They've done everything right this summer surrounding Maguire. Stripped him of captaincy and accepted an offer. What more do you want from them?

Telsim

You need to make concessions when you are trying to get rid of dross, something some people on this board, and apparently the negotiation team, didn't understand. We are not selling hot young prospects or proven winners. We are shifting surplus dross. Should have taken the 60M for Maguire and McTominay, paid off the former, and still end up with a tidy sum. Not much, but something. Enough to buy a more useful player. We are going to get precisely zero for both of them now, and have them wander around.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
The only mistake the club ever made was signing him in the first place.
and the wages. the biggest mistake.
as someone who is living through origi right now, I know the feels (not to the same extent, but to some)

Idxomer

Think they are right not to give him what he wants, otherwise VDB, Bailly and all the other ones would like to be paid to leave.

It has to be one the ones that paid 90M for him and gave him nearly 10M per year.

Let him stay on the bench, playing a game here and there and miss the Euro this summer.

Then we may sell him in a Championship club.

He's furious with the club potentially and want to be paid, but he doesn't understand that he's the cause of this comedy.
It's on them not negotiating his payoff from the minute WHU showed real interest in him. It's on them not being able to secure a replacement when it was clear we wanted him to go.

AneRu

If he's really having to take a 90k per week cut I can't blame him too much. There has to be some middle ground here
We offered him 6m, so he isn't really taking a pay cut from 190k to 100k. He is just ensuring that he grabs as much money as he can so that the club doesnt have enough to purchase his replacement. Spoiler tactics from a 90m flop he has no shame at all.

al tuna

I don't see him staying. Far too much of a distraction now in the dressing room and EtH won't deal with it. Give it time, it'll happen.

Devil You Know

Give him his full £190k salary that he's asking for in the reserves so he doesn't have to work for it.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
We will never stop signing shit players like Maguire on big wages until the managers are stopped having full authority over transfers. This has to stop, we need a DOF. This is one of my main issues with the glazers.

We did it last year with Antony and looks like we done it again this year with Mount.

I’m f sick of it.
If we only had appointed Ragnick for our sporting director .. ffs . That guy wanted us and recommended to our board to buy Enzo,Alvarez, Nkunku and Gvardiol when they were 10 m pounds each .. and we did nothing as usual.

We are the biggest circus in the world and and I don't see how this is going to get better anytime soon.

Roboc7

I remember when criticising the fee we were paying for him at the time as being ridiculous people what does it matter not our money etc.

This is the consequence you have to sell him for a certain amount of money for it to be beneficial for FFP and because you make him world’s most expensive defender you have to pay him accordingly.

The reality is him asking for a payoff is standard practice in this scenario. I said yesterday I thought West Ham would get fed up and move on soon, maybe this will force a resolution but we might be stuck with him.

Skills

Snitch
Can't blame him tbf.

But just remember a few years ago, half of you here were pronouncing him to be exactly the sort of character this club needed? My captain and all that jazz.

tomaldinho1

Whatever, let him stay and be 4th choice - the story is old news now. It's clear we need a CM more than anything, it's the club's fault not Maguire's.

Dannn411

We did this to ourselves. Giving idiotic contracts to players who don't deserve it and we keep doing it too. Well. He will run down his contract and leave. Fitting way for the worst transfer in club history to end.

Nogbadthebad

Who in his camp thinks that these kind of headlines will help him in any way shape or form.

He won't be able to show his face at any united event where the public are without abuse, every potential new club supporters will look at him as a money grasping dick, and in a saga where one club is owned by the glazers and the other sullivan, somehow, maguire has made himself the villain of the story.

Withnail

Don’t know who to believe with that, considering it was reported we agreed a settlement fee.

Either way, his position will now be even more untenable because he’s going to be hounded for the perception of collapsing the deal over greed.
Agreed. It's not going to be pretty if he doesn't get a move.

Skills

Snitch
I remember when criticising the fee we were paying for him at the time as being ridiculous people what does it matter not our money etc.

This is the consequence you have to sell him for a certain amount of money for it to be beneficial for FFP and because you make him world’s most expensive defender you have to pay him accordingly.

The reality is him asking for a payoff is standard practice in this scenario. I said yesterday I thought West Ham woulid get fed up and move on soon, maybe this will force a resolution but we might be stuck with him.
Exactly.

But we this place was on the the Solskjaer bandwagon then - so it was all about backing the manager. Half of the mess the clubs ends up in, is due to our fanbase constantly egging the club into moronic things.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I know, I was being silly. That being said, it is 4.5m over a year, so I can see why you'd fight for it. I'm not sure why he feels like he deserves it, which is more to the poster's second point.

Djemba-Djemba

fecking hell.

This is a disaster whichever way you look at it. He surely won't be starting for England next summer because unless there's an injury crisis he won't be getting much game time. He's essentially 5th choice.

cj_sparky

What is it with fake Harrys.

Stick Jacob in the 21s if he doesn't agree to a move and freeze him out.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I argued earlier that Maguire's hand is much better than ours and that he will hesitate to make the move to WHU.

There are strong indications that Southgate will keep picking him in England's starting xi because, apparently, he considers him one of his go-to players.

He can sit on his contract and wait at least until the Euros next summer to see, with the hope that England will reach the latter stages of the tournament, if he can get a better club to sign for. Why risk getting yourself into a potential relegation battle and having your weaknesses exposed week in and week out (and force a decision on Southgate) when you can hide on the bench and let your PR do your job for you. If i were him, watching the freak show last night and anticipating the pressure ETH is going to find himself under, i would also cancel any potential deal first thing this morning.

JB7

Not even if that meant wasting probably the last couple of peak years of your career and likely dropping out of the England team for good, in order to sit on the bench for a club where you used to be captain and that has more supporters than any other club in the world, the great majority of whom just wish you weren't there? Then you must really love having more money than you'll ever need rather than having slightly less but still more than you'll ever need.
At the end of the day it's money he is entitled to as he signed a contract, this is on the football club and it's ridiculous negotiations at the time. It doesn't appear to be the case that he's demanding the complete difference between one salary and the other paid up, which he would also be entitled to do. I don't really get why people think footballers should be happy to take a real-terms near 50% wage cut just on a whim; it's a lot of money to just give up.

izec

We had to pay him off and get the meme out of here. He is useless and will get paid 190k a week to sit on the bench.

One shit decision after the other.

Oranges038

If we only had appointed Rangnick for our sporting director .. ffs . That guy wanted us and recommended to our board to buy Enzo,Alvarez, Nkunku and Gvardiol when they were 10 m pounds each .. and we did nothing as usual.

We are the biggest circus in the world and and I don't see how this is going to get better anytime soon.
Not a great coach but when he suggested the amount of players that needed to go and be replaced he was quickly shown the door. Because he was showing them up for being clueless bellends.

Why spend upwards of a billion on players and put them on huge contracts only to replace them with guys who will be just as good, if not better and only cost a fraction of that.

mu4c_20le

The reality is him asking for a payoff is standard practice in this scenario. I said yesterday I thought West Ham would get fed up and move on soon, maybe this will force a resolution but we might be stuck with him.
We're going to be saying this alot... Antony, Hojlund, etc