Maguire | he stays!

RuudTom83

I don't get why players are so desperate to keep their wages if the next move offers less.

- Is there really that much difference between earning £190k a week and £100k a week?
- You got a move to one of the world's best, hence the wage, but you have failed there. Therefore you don't deserve those wages.
Yeah you would think the lure of playing regular football was a big enough incentive for Harry.

But I would say his management team would be the ones pushing for this payoff. Modern day footballers rarely think for themselves.

Wezzaldo

Another one to add to Arnold and Murtough's failures if they can't move him.
I’m sorry but, even though I’ve been critical of Murtough and co in the past, you cannot put this on them. They can’t make clubs buy him, and also if he’s making unreasonable demands in terms of payoff, you can’t expect them to bow down to him. Plus they would have to get that payoff signed off by the Glazers.

Alemar

Literally the first paragraph of the article:
"Harry Maguire’s £30m move to West Ham has collapsed after the club grew tired of waiting for the defender to agree his exit from Manchester United. Although there is a chance the deal could be revived, it is not going ahead at the moment."
But there are also related articles which say (quite unsurprisingly) that WHU are now working on other targets (even naming a couple of CBs). It is obvious that if WHU buys someone else, deal will never be revived :)

Herman Toothrot

I’m sorry but, even though I’ve been critical of Murtough and co in the past, you cannot put this on them. They can’t make clubs buy him, and also if he’s making unreasonable demands in terms of payoff, you can’t expect them to bow down to him. Plus they would have to get that payoff signed off by the Glazers.
Also, they didn't sanction his wages.

saivet

There is a possibility that Maguire has another club lined up or interested that he prefers to West Ham. Similar to the news of Elanga rejected Everton before finding out he was going to Forest....I hope.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Wonder if Southgate would have the balls to drop him should this stance continue.

I appreciate he feels entitled to receive the difference in his current contract and the contract offered by West Ham, but it is ultimately a career decision for him.

If he values the bag over playing time and potentially his international football career then he should absolutely stay and ride it out, that's on Manchester United's executives in 2019.

If he wants to re-establish himself and play football, then the 'severance' package shouldn't be a sticking point.

Good luck to him either way, but I don't think he has any hope in starting more than 10 games for United if he stays, and that's completely on merit.

buchansleftleg

I wouldn't even let this guy play with the youth team now - he should be left to assist with Voldemort's individual training sessions now. We can let the press in to watch hours of the nameless one sending him sprawling on the floor and then setup a webcam to cover it every day, telling Harry it carries on and on until he agrees to a move on OUR terms

Dan_F

He’s entitled to the money if he wants to stay as 4th choice and risk missing international tournaments.

He hasn’t really fulfilled his side of the contract in putting in performances worth that £190k a week, hence the only option for him to move is to a team that can’t afford that wage.

It’s the same issue with Henderson. You haven’t progressed enough to fulfill that wage, so you either lower your wage expectations and join a club that matches your talent, or you accept that you’re not going to play and make up the numbers at a big club to get your bigger salary.

JB7

Fair point, but it has been made clear to him he's 4th choice, so he has to hope for an injury crisis or up his levels significantly to even become 3rd choice at this point. If he's fine with that, great, but prepare for another season with a whopping 8 starts and see how that helps you.
Oh I'd say it's probably clear he's 5th choice when everyone is fit, let alone 4th. But that doesn't alter the fact that if him and his family are settled in the area, and if he does have a misguided belief that he could turn it round at United then he is entitled to the money, particularly given he's remained professional throughout and not given any indication he wants to leave. I wouldn't want to live in, around or frankly anywhere near London, so I can understand why he'd be reluctant to move without being fully compensated.

mu4c_20le

What do you think DoFs do exactly? Answer emails?

Red Stone

Apparently no room for a brain in that giant head of his. Rotting on the bench is going to do wonders for his career, if he even makes it onto the bench to begin with.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
United fans sounding like Barca fans last year here..."no, he should take a paycut for the club". Bollocks to that. As if ye'd take a voluntary pay cut to go do your job in a shittier place.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
United fans sounding like Barca fans last year here..."no, he should take a paycut for the club". Bollocks to that. As if ye'd take a voluntary pay cut to go do your job in a shittier place.
Exactly. 7m is a lot of money. United gave him the big contact, he doesn't want to go, its up to united to find a solution, otherwise its another winston bogarde.

JB7

But there are also related articles which say (quite unsurprisingly) that WHU are now working on other targets (even naming a couple of CBs). It is obvious that if WHU buys someone else, deal will never be revived :)
Didn't we leak out very similar articles about looking at other targets two or three days before we announced the signing of Mount? It's no coincidence that this first got out via a journalist with known connections to the West Ham hierarchy and then immediately to Sky, who they've also been known to leak to in the past.

Revan

Assumptionman
Really terrible news. Hopefully we can still find a solution.

Maguire should get some incentive in both stick and carrot. He should get some money for leaving, at the same time, we should absolutely make clear to him that he has played his last match for us.

davidmichael

The only way Maguire leaves is if ETH stops picking even as a bench option which we shouldn’t have done last night at all, we had Lindelof on the bench and could have used Evans as well if really needed as well.

Right now England have got Stones as first choice then Colwill, Tomori, Guehi, Dunk, White, Gomez, Tarkowski, Mings and Chalobah whilst Walker and Shaw can also both play there so that’s 12 players not including Maguire so if Maguire isn’t playing then Southgate won’t pick him regardless of his love for him.

If Colwill keeps progressing you’d fancy him to be Stones centre back partner by the start of next year especially with him being a natural left footer and being very good on the ball whilst Tomori is playing CL football and learning a different style from playing in Italy which is a famously defensive league so they’d be your first three in my opinion so Maguire is only hurting himself from his stubbornness.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Oh I'd say it's probably clear he's 5th choice when everyone is fit, let alone 4th. But that doesn't alter the fact that if him and his family are settled in the area, and if he does have a misguided belief that he could turn it round at United then he is entitled to the money, particularly given he's remained professional throughout and not given any indication he wants to leave. I wouldn't want to live in, around or frankly anywhere near London, so I can understand why he'd be reluctant to move without being fully compensated.
I think the misguided belief is the thing that irks people in this situation, but another good point on the family and he is a northern boy. He'd probably be living in Essex too, so would need to be handsomely compensated.

Smores

No one is saying he should take a pay cut and stay. If he wants to go and only lesser clubs wants him then he has to accept that's his level now and he'll get paid accordingly.

He has every right to stay and just take the money but not to leave and get compensated. The club should call his bluff and see how much he does want to play.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Why are you lot being so harsh on the reserves and u21 teams? It would be really unfair on them if they're told to carry Maguire with even worse players than the first team.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There's an odd imbalance in the money and the power.

Maguire demands that he is little or no worse off if he leaves, but he isn't it all responsible for his form decreasing his value so much
No he is not wholly responsible. We have not treated him like he's valuable (whether he is or not is irrelevant).

Depends what he values more, money or career. Obviously money.

A move is his last opportunity to show he is still a somewhat level of player. His career is rock bottom now and for £7M he want to sit on the bench or worse for two years. He won't have a career left by the end of it and will be costing himself more in the long run. He'd be looking at the championship at best.
:lol: no he won't. He can play no games for the next 2 years and would instantly get signed by a PL club in need of an experienced defender.

We signed Jonny Evans for fecks sake. I'm sure he'd find a place at West Ham or Everton or Wolves.

Kostov

Yes, exactly.

We'll have some transfers that are amazing value, some that are terrible value, and plenty in between.

If Maguire's transfer ends up costing us money on his book value, we simply have to take the hit. The real problem was caused by Woodward's inability to negotiate down from Leicester's initial asking price. That forced our hand on the player contract, and now we are where we are.
It's not just Woodward though. He didn't negotiate the Antony deal of last year, nor Mount this season. All those transfer can very easily go the Maguire route and hurt us in the present and future team building.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think a lot are missing the point. It's not the current leadership that paid huge money or wages for him, and the current manager doesn't want him. This hanging around for more money, sure he's entitled to do so but this isn't any of the current leadership or managers fault. He's absolutely not going to get any sympathy from anyone for this and I can see ETH holding a grudge if he doesn't move. Unbelievable, genuinely thought he'd care more about his career to move but apparently not.

RedStarUnited

Surely not the same, I can get sacked at my job for bad performance. That doesnt happen in football.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
No he is not wholly responsible. We have not treated him like he's valuable (whether he is or not is irrelevant).

:lol: no he won't. He can play no games for the next 2 years and would instantly get signed by a PL club in need of an experienced defender.

We signed Jonny Evans for fecks sake. I'm sure he'd find a place at West Ham or Everton or Wolves.
We've signed Evans on a 1 month deal, and to be honest, only because he has an extensive history with the club. The equivalent would be Sheffield United signing him in a few years on a short term deal.

Withnail

And people here were saying we shouldn’t sell Maguire and Mctominay for anything less than 70m :lol:. Enjoy them now. You all deserve it.
Well this makes no sense at all because we did agree a fee with West Ham for Maguire. That's not the sticking point here. What a clueless post.

Infra-red

It seems to be a one in, one out policy at the monent so guess it means Pavard won't be coming in. I'm hoping Fred going means Amrabat is bought.
I fear that one might have been McTominay-dependent. If he stays and the Maguire deal collapses, I'd guess that is it for incoming players this summer.

Devil You Know

I think a lot are missing the point. It's not the current leadership that paid huge money or wages for him, and the current manager doesn't want him. This hanging around for more money, sure he's entitled to do so but this isn't any of the current leadership or managers fault. He's absolutely not going to get any sympathy from anyone for this and I can see ETH holding a grudge if he doesn't move. Unbelievable, genuinely thought he'd care more about his career to move but apparently not.
He'll still move. This way, he'll just get an extra £7m out of it.

philippexyz

I already said this multiple times, i'll say it again.

Maguire only cares about the money. And maybe the prestige, bragging rights of being associated with a prestige brand like United.

He doesn't care about playing time. He doesn't care about playing for his country. Southgate picks him anyway, no matter the circumstances because it's a nepotism choice, not a meritocratic one.

I'm slightly surprised there isn't some Saudi buzz around him, but maybe even they don't want him. He would be good for their league as a meme, circus performer/entertainer. He certainly brings attention/views.

Castia

We’re too soft

Don’t pick him in the squad. Don’t let him train with the first team. Tell him if he’s not found a club by September 1st then he’s not getting registered

Plastic Evra

Surely not the same, I can get sacked at my job for bad performance. That doesnt happen in football.
It happens (contract buy out) but not as often.
Then again if your current employer had to pay a 6 or 7 figures to your former one to get you onboard, he'd probably think twice about firing you.

Chief123

We will never stop signing shit players like Maguire on big wages until the managers are stopped having full authority over transfers. This has to stop, we need a DOF. This is one of my main issues with the glazers.

We did it last year with Antony and looks like we done it again this year with Mount.

I’m f sick of it.
Having a DOF doesn’t stop you from signing shit players on big wages.

Devil You Know

I fear that one might have been McTominay-dependent. If he stays and the Maguire deal collapses, I'd guess that is it for incoming players this summer.
McTominay is still in the manager's thinking.

If it's "anybody" dependent, it'll be VdB.