Maguire | he stays!

Devil You Know

Remove him from the list of players for the league and he will get a reality check in the reserves. Just what is needed to let him go.
What will that achieve?

If we give him his payoff, it'll recoup United £23m (the £30m fee minus the £7m payoff).

Wehereas if we put him in the reserves, we'll get £0m, lower the potential asking price for future bidders, encumber ourselves with his wages under FFP for no benefit on the pitch/bench, make ourselves look petty to all future signings.

And as far as punishments go, paying him £190k to do nothing isn't exactly a bad one.

The Dane

Is there some sort of competition going on here for who can write the dumbest post or something? :houllier:
Let me have a go:
Put him on the bench and send him out to warm up every 15 minute without letting him play a single minute. Repeat for next game and continue. Maybe in January he is willing to reconsider his options.

Sid234

He isn't the one pushing for a move, it's the club that is trying to convince him to move.
I dont think its true that we're pushing for a move.. all the reporting has been that Maguire was available at the right price. Ten Hag has said that he's happy to have him stay and fight for a spot in the team. He's 1-2 injuries away from starting as well.

I don't think we're desperate to sell him and are content to have him as CB#4 so it comes down to Maguire if he wants to stay or go

Devil You Know

Of course. Just like he has every right to stink up the club while standing in the way and simultaneously bleeding it dry. He’ll be hated for it by millions, but he certainly has the right. Come to think of it, Maguire is in line to become part of the Glazer family if this continues!
And Martial has the right to get paid while he's injured. He's cost United way more than £7m over the course of his time on the treatment table.

Contracts exist to protect the players. Otherwise they'd never sign.

And, of course, those same contracts protect the club from losing their players for nothing. Otherwise they'd never buy.

It's rough with the smooth. We simply have to accept the rough right now.

Superunknown

Knew this was all too good to be true. We've gone from getting around £60million for Maguire and McTominay to both of them probably staying.

This club. :lol: :lol:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Money over his career.

This is bad for everyone involved. Maguire won't play, his career stalls and he won't be playing for England again.

If he ever does play for us, the fans will hate him even more than they already do.
I really don't get what he's thinking, even if the plan is to rot on the bench and wait it out til next year surely that's not worth the extra few million he will get compared to playing regularly and fighting for a spot in the squad for the Euro's.

Is he broke?

Last edited:

joedirt87

There goes the Pavard deal. Maybe they can still get him for next Summer in the January window.

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
I now know the reason for his Nickname - Slabhead. If he really thinks that the Booing was bad before what until the next home game. A player holding the club to ramson even though he is entitled to the money via his contract, most fans wont see it that way and No player is bigger than the club. Harry you really are a Slabhead.

-Supreme-

This is a very short sighted move by Maguire if true, his chances of being offered close to 100k p/w contract will only decrease from this point if he delays this for another year or two by playing a bit part role and potentially out of the England’s team as well.

Boycott

Whoever advises him is doing a terrible job and will backfire. He could have quietly left and rebuilded his career and reputation at a similar stature club to Leicester where he did do very well. I think the level of mockery he gets was far too much and especially since other players are given leeway for extended periods of poor performances. From that perspective Maguire always seemed the odd one out for being singularly targeted and maybe because he's far from glamorous. But this kind of attitude will mean people will continue to focus on every little thing he does because while he can't control a transfer fee he can control his wage demands and this looks like a player more focused on money than football.

Alemar

I don't think we're desperate to sell him and are content to have him as CB#4
But ETH simply cannot share this opinion, it cannot be. Any half decent attack minded manager understands that Maguire doesn’t fit even in his peak career form - and ETH is better than “half decent”.

KD6-3.7

Quality control
What a joke of a situation. Hope nothing but the worst for the rest of his playing career, absolutely coward of a player. If you want money go join the rest to Saudi Arabia but I doubt they would even want him.

bstb3

What do you mean by discount future cash flows?
Discounting future cashflows basically means taking into account that money promised in the future is worth less than the same amount of money promised now. The discount refers to the amount of value difference it would take for you to accept the future payment rather than payment now.

For example, if I offer you £100 now or £100 in a year, you would always choose to take it now. Why? Because inflation, money in the bank, things can change etc. So how much would I need to offer for you to think the payment in a year is better? £110, £120? £200?. That concept is the time value of money, and discounting future cashflows is a financial mechanism for taking it into account.

In this case, a contract promising £190k a week that has 24 months left might pay out £18m, but if you were offering to pay someone out of it you would pay it less with a full payment now. How much the discount is varies due to the circumstances. In this case a very cash rich person like a top level pro footballer is probably less in need of the cash now than say you or I might be, so will be more comfortable with receiving the amounts in the future. Therefore there time preference for money will lead to a lower discount being needed.

Reactions: JPRouve

Superunknown

There goes the Pavard deal. Maybe they can still get him for next Summer in the January window.
We don't make those kinds of moves, unfortunately. He'll end up staying at Bayern or going to somewhere like...PSG or Juventus or somewhere. Probably Chelsea, since everyone goes there.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I mean, I don’t really blame Maguire for holding out to be paid what’s left on his (ridiculous) contract. But at the same time, it makes me dislike him even more.

prateik

What does this stupid tweet mean?
"particularly when he's due to leave for a fee" .. what
So there should be a payoff when he is leaving for free or when his contract runs out? Leaving for a fee is the case where giving the player a payoff for the loss of wages makes most sense.

L1nk

Genuinely never hated a United player more, and he's barely done anything wrong, weird isn't it.

RuudTom83

Maybe Harry just loves the hate and online abuse...some people like living in misery so fair play to him!

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Genuinely never hated a United player more, and he's barely done anything wrong, weird isn't it.
Yeah, it’s between him and Fellaini for me. And as you say, their main crimes are being shit and fecking annoying to look at.

prateik

Maguire is 100% in the right here.. wouldve been nice if he moved on. but anyone blaming him for not taking a financial hit is being stupid.
This is the kind of nonsense Barca were doing last summer and everyone was laughing at them.

We gave him a contract.. we have to honour it..
If he is fine to stay on the bench, great. We should be fine too. Any other response from our fan base would be a disgrace.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I dont think its true that we're pushing for a move.. all the reporting has been that Maguire was available at the right price. Ten Hag has said that he's happy to have him stay and fight for a spot in the team. He's 1-2 injuries away from starting as well.

I don't think we're desperate to sell him and are content to have him as CB#4 so it comes down to Maguire if he wants to stay or go
You don't have to be desperate to convince someone. United accepted a bid for a player and also negotiated a severance package for said player, the severance package is quite obviously meant to convince the player to accept to end his contract. Otherwise would not accept bid for West Ham, not offer to pay a player to leave or both.

crossy1686

career ending
Hilarious take at this stage of the season (less than 24 hours after our first game).

Out of interest though, what makes you say that?
I get that it’s slightly premature but a combination of underwhelming signings outside of the keeper upgrade, not moving on enough of the dead wood and replacing them with better players (like what Chelsea and Liverpool have done), the Glazers dragging their feet making it difficult for us to compete for top players, our poor preseason form and lack of cohesion that looks to have followed us into the actual season.

I really hope things change, and fast.

glasgow 21

Knew this was all too good to be true. We've gone from getting around £60million for Maguire and McTominay to both of them probably staying.

This club. :lol: :lol:
The transfer boys at United have in one stroke found themselves back in the doghouse. Pathetic show again. What part of another season warming the bench possible loss of England spot, will mean Maquire being worth even half of that 30m next year.

Grande

And Martial has the right to get paid while he's injured. He's cost United way more than £7m over the course of his time on the treatment table.

Contracts exist to protect the players. Otherwise they'd never sign.

And, of course, those same contracts protect the club from losing their players for nothing. Otherwise they'd never buy.

It's rough with the smooth. We simply have to accept the rough right now.
And that goes for Maguire as well. He can point to his contract and stay, he will get payed 190k weekly for it, and he’ll get booed every few times he gets on a football field the next year. He’ll just have to take the rough with the smooth, and maybe he likes it a bit rough even?

saivet

It's bad optics for Maguire, but he has every right to expect United to cover part of his wages. The club gave him the contract and it's the club that wants him to leave more than Maguire himself, so ultimately we have to accept and be happy that he may stay if we don't compensate him accordingly.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Hard not to be annoyed at this, but I’m still hopeful he will leave before the window closes.

Spark

Maybe Harry just loves the hate and online abuse...some people like living in misery so fair play to him!
He hasn't covered himself in glory, but it's once again a consequence of our habit of heavily rewarding mediocrity without the ability to roll that back when said player offers zero value for multiple seasons. We saw it with Lingard and a host of others that we weren't able to flog.

To be honest, I'd just pay him the £7m to feck off and start from scratch rather than have him on the bench or not in the squad at all sucking a wage out of the club. We're effectively giving him the £7m by not selling him anyway.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Yep. I've said this all along.

EireRed_GS

What does this stupid tweet mean?
"particularly when he's due to leave for a fee" .. what
So there should be a payoff when he is leaving for free or when his contract runs out? Leaving for a fee is the case where giving the player a payoff for the loss of wages makes most sense.
In fairness what he's saying is true. We should never have to pay off / subsidise a player just because he cant get the same stupidly high wage elsewhere. Thats on the player.. if he was good enough then other clubs would be happy to pay him what he wants.

jeepers

Just pay him up and be rid of him, rather than carry on paying him 190k every week for two years and leave on a free after. Club made the first mistake of paying 80m for him, then giving him 190k a week, now we have to pay for our mistakes.