Maguire | he stays!

DavelinaJolie

The club accepted an offer. The club also have stated they are happy for him to stay, so yes it is his choice
Did he put in a transfer request, publicly agitate for a move, or otherwise give indications he wanted to move? No. He hasn't. The process is led by the club seeking to move him on here. If they want him to exit his contract early to facilitate a move it's on them to agree terms with Maguire for that.

RuudTom83

The Glazers were never going to give him £7+ million to leave the club.

Deal was a none starter...just a waste of everyone's time.

Devil You Know

Prunier must be the original meme footballer.

I don't understand either side in this Maguire debacle to be honest. He's not wanted by the club and he must know that, so why you'd suffer the embarrassment of the situation is beyond me, I'd have been looking to do a deal on the £7m. The club should also be embarrassed, they don't want him and need reinforcements for the squad, they too should have been looking to do a deal. It'll probably turn out one side was looking to do a deal and the other side was behaving like a child.

And before anyone says anything, I have left a position for less money when I wasn't happy with the conditions. There are always other opportunities to maximise your earnings when you're doing well and in a better position. Different economies of scale, but ultimately the same effect on my bottom line earnings.
The only explanation is that EtH is saying different things in private.

The problem is that fans sat on the internet have created their own echo chamber. And then they've projected those heightened opinions/feelings onto the club hierarchy.

It's quite possible that Maguire is hearing something completely different. People here think he should be "punished". But perhaps the manager is saying he wants Maguire to stay and fight for his place if he's up for it. There are certainly noises coming out about that. But the echo-chamber has led people to think that's made up.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Maybe there's just no more money, even if we sell Maguire. So from ETH's perspective, it makes sense be wants Maguire to stay

windycityfan

No way out of this. No benefit in sinking that money (even at half of that) on a player’s exodus and in turn running out of money to replace him. A body is better than nobody. He’ll have to stay. Regrettably. Actions (such as bad contracts and bad signings) have consequences.

AmanNits04

Let this be a reminder to the club authorities what happens when you give or sign players on high wages. Maguire is well within his rights to refuse an offer which pays him less than his current salary. Utd signed a contract with him and they will have to honor it. Hopefully club learns from this.

buchansleftleg

So when David de Gea JOINED the club he was draped in a grey blanket to stop press intrusion. When Harry Maguire leaves the ground from now on he is going to have to wear a grey blanket over his head like criminal being bundled into Crown Court.

The day he signed for the club will be marked as "a day that will live in Infamy"

It's just a shame we haven't got someone like Ibrahimović playing up front, as any United player that wants to achieve legend status will just need to "leave one on" Maguire if we ever play against him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Let this be a reminder to the club authorities what happens when you give or sign players on high wages. Maguire is well within his rights to refuse an offer which pays him less than his current salary. Utd signed a contract with him and they will have to honor it. Hopefully club learns from this.
It is his right but it is also stupid. He risks his career as a player

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I know mate, but can't blame him for thinking about money as well
I can, especially under the current circumstances. Once more, his judgement is completely off, and the fans will react to that as well. Will make his life at United tricky imo

Lecland07

The Glazers were never going to give him £7+ million to leave the club.

Deal was a none starter...just a waste of everyone's time.
Supposedly, he actually wanted £15m in total. Almost made it pointless to sell him, to be honest.

The impact on cash flows could have been pretty big if he wanted it in a lump sum, also.

gajender

Supposedly, he actually wanted £15m in total. Almost made it pointless to sell him, to be honest.

The impact on cash flows could have been pretty big if he wanted it in a lump sum, also.
No body actually knows that , Custis who pushed this £15m nonsense was the one who few days earlier reported that United had paid £7 m to Maguire to leave So its quite obvious he was talking out of his Ass as Usual.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Did he put in a transfer request, publicly agitate for a move, or otherwise give indications he wanted to move? No. He hasn't. The process is led by the club seeking to move him on here. If they want him to exit his contract early to facilitate a move it's on them to agree terms with Maguire for that.
The process is led by West Ham who want to sign him. The club are happy for him to stay

Mainoldo

No body actually knows that , Custis who pushed this £15m nonsense was the one who few days earlier reported that United had paid £7 m to Maguire to leave So its quite obvious he was talking out of his Ass as Usual.
It doesn’t make any sense. He will be getting a new salary from West Ham. So if he’s getting less which he will. We only owe him the difference not his entire remaining contract. This is a moving of ownership not termination.

OverratedOpinion

Ultimately it's his choice. It should be said that he chose money of career.

Hopefully Southgate takes the same view and it helps us see Colwell and Stones going forward.

Let's just hope Varane stays fit.

Devil You Know

It is his right but it is also stupid. He risks his career as a player
He'll be 32 when his contract ends. Considering his lack of pace now, there won't be much left for him after that, other than maybe the lower leagues. And maybe the lower leagues are not something he's interested in long term.

So staying would be think about his career, because the current contract is going to cover the entirety of his remaining time as a player. I can understand wanting to do that from the bench of trophy challenging Manchester United rather than the first team of relegation threatened West Ham.

If nobody wanted to be a squad player, we'd only have 11 players. You can't diss everyone who is happy to sit on our bench or else we'd have hardly anyone left.

gajender

It doesn’t make any sense. He will be getting a new salary from West Ham. So if he’s getting less which he will. We only owe him the difference not his entire remaining contract. This is a moving of ownership not termination.
Exactly this £15m pay off thing belies logic completely , I think Maguire might genuinely want to Give it another shot at United for a year and United aren't exactly fussed about it to push him out at least that's how it seems to me there is more to it then just disagreement about the money .

Jeffthered

What a joke.

OGS has a huge amount to answer for. He was an absolute, unmitigated disaster for the club, both on the pitch and off it. His actions, daft contracts to Sancho, Martial, Maguire etc have resulted in our current position. Loads of players we can't move on.

I feel for the owners and ETH in this respect. Maguire will have to fight to get in the team, or be happy with rotation. £15m is no little sum...

redIndianDevil

I completely back Maguire in this. There has to be repercussions for making silly decisions and this is one of it. The people who run the club are safely hiding behind the manager for every transfer decision. Just because you fire a manager doesn't mean everything is fixed. The club has to handle the blowback for a few years. The fact that we are happy to repeat the same mistakes over and over again makes me so livid. And our fanbase falls hook, line and sinker for the same charade everytime.

We are all happy to laugh at the likes of Boehly but Chelsea always seem to return to a much better position after a crap one.

redIndianDevil

What a joke.

OGS has a huge amount to answer for. He was an absolute, unmitigated disaster for the club, both on the pitch and off it. His actions, daft contracts to Sancho, Martial, Maguire etc have resulted in our current position. Loads of players we can't move on.

I feel for the owners and ETH in this respect. Maguire will have to fight to get in the team, or be happy with rotation. £15m is no little sum...
Why? You can't blindly trust a manager any more. Especially in an age when managers get fired left right and centre. If you give so much financial power to such a volatile position then you are asking for trouble. And it's not its the first time this has happened. We had to live with Fellaini who Moyes signed, then all the crap that LvG signed, then Mourinho, then Ole.

swissgenius

If he doesn't want to leave, he doesn't leave and he remains at United and gets paid the remainder of his contract.
Its clear as day, the club as you keep ignoring have said they are happy for him to stay.
So he ONLY leaves if HE wants to
Yeah that's how a contracts work. Both parties need to agree if you want to terminate said contract.

The deciding factor is which party is interested to opt out, because that side has to pay. If both are happy to stay put so let it be.

It remains pretty obvious to everyone (but you) that the club would be happy to move him, I think you know that they would not say that in a press conference.
His answer is: Yes you can cancel that contract but I had intentions to fullfill it so you have to pay me out of it.
Pretty simple tbh....

Grande

The only explanation is that EtH is saying different things in private.

The problem is that fans sat on the internet have created their own echo chamber. And then they've projected those heightened opinions/feelings onto the club hierarchy.

It's quite possible that Maguire is hearing something completely different. People here think he should be "punished". But perhaps the manager is saying he wants Maguire to stay and fight for his place if he's up for it. There are certainly noises coming out about that. But the echo-chamber has led people to think that's made up.
I agree, the connective network of twitter/chatter fans and twitter/tabloid speculants does work like a sort of ****, often a doomsday ****. I get sucked in by it too. All we know really is that he seems to be treated as fourth choice CB, Ten Hag don’t thinks the role he intends fir him is compatible with the captain’s role, and the club very likely is willing to let him go for something in the vicinity of €30-40m, depending on stuff we don’t know. Ten Hag has spoken highly about his qualities as a CB and as a human, while also mentioning his confidence. We don’t know why.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This mentality is embarassing.

The club gave him a contract, he is entitled to it. As Chelsea did to Lukaku. Chelsea don't want to sell him at a loss or a reasonable fee for others but refuse to let him train with the mains, it's disgusting treatment.

How would you like it if your work said feck your contract we want you out even if you didn't want to leave? You have to relocate across the country or to a different country on a lower salary? You'd tell them to feck off and you'd stay.
That is how (unfortunately) business works. On daily basis.

Borussia Teeth

Ultimately it's his choice. It should be said that he chose money of career.

Hopefully Southgate takes the same view and it helps us see Colwell and Stones going forward.

Let's just hope Varane stays fit.
Also Guehi, Tomori and even Shaw as a cb. Hopefully Maguire is taught a lesson: keep the money, lose your England place

BootsyCollins

He holds all the cards as we cant drop him for the reserves, since we cant buy another CB before he leaves.
The only chance he gets zero playing time is if Varane, Martinez and Victor stays fit for the whole season and Malacia becomes amazing so we can rest Shaw for games and play him at CB.

I feel his odds for getting 20+ games this year is very good and thats more than enough for Southgate to keep him in his starting 11.

Gordon Godot

Also Guehi, Tomori and even Shaw as a cb. Hopefully Maguire is taught a lesson: keep the money, lose your England place
Not sure if it was ETH or those above but Maguire should have been told he needed to leave. Should be nowhere near the bench and told to train with reserves. We are far too soft

Borussia Teeth

What a joke.

I never knew Ole was our chief negotiator. I thought that was Woody's mate Matt Judge. What do I know?

Pronewbie

Peep
He holds all the cards as we cant drop him for the reserves, since we cant buy another CB before he leaves.
The only chance he gets zero playing time is if Varane, Martinez and Victor stays fit for the whole season and Malacia becomes amazing so we can rest Shaw for games and play him at CB.

I feel his odds for getting 20+ games this year is very good and thats more than enough for Southgate to keep him in his starting 11.
Not if we bring in Pavard/Todibo.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Gotta feel sorry for ETH for all the mess he’s inherited.
Every new manager faces legacy issues including ours. Moyes to LVG to Jose to Ole to ETH.

That's why we were supposed to have a DOF to limit these legacy issues. And that's on Woodward.

Redlyn

These guys just signed mount for HUGE money, put him on HUGE salary and managed to make the team worse in the process. Nah no lessons learnt here.

OverratedOpinion

Not sure if it was ETH or those above but Maguire should have been told he needed to leave. Should be nowhere near the bench and told to train with reserves. We are far too soft
We might need him at times this season. Sadly we have put ourselves in a position where are numbers are just incredibly low in that position.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

I disagree. It was a game who blinks first and we did. Instead being clear that he will not be part of Erik's plans, we said that he can fight for his place.
I doubt that he would reject West Ham if his future was in United's reserves.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’d have done what Maguire did if I had a family too.

I kind of respect him for it to be honest.

PieCrust

£15m, wow. He's tanking his own career in real time. He'd make more money long term, taking the £6m that was offered and going to WH and extending his career. Not like he was going to be on poverty wages.

What a tool shed.

tomaldinho1

These guys just signed mount for HUGE money, put him on HUGE salary and managed to make the team worse in the process. Nah no lessons learnt here.
If you look at the market, £60m is hardly huge money for a player in his position and he is young so you preserve some sell on value at least. Maguire remains (I think Gvardiol pushed this close) the most expensive defender of all time.