Maguire | he stays!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes to two;

Pep:
"He's strong in the air, good with the ball, the build-up, he drives with the ball, he's fast, so fast. He has all the qualities. Congratulations to United for this signature." :lol: - Money Maguire
"He has a lot of defensive intensity, he can unlock a match and, from what I have been told, he is a very good boy." - Sanchez

German journalist Raphael Honigstein – who is currently working with Per Mertersacker on his new autobiography – has lifted the lid on just how much Sánchez’s eventual departure came as a relief to Arsène Wenger’s squad.
It’s been under-reported just how badly the whole Arsenal dressing room hated Alexis Sanchez,” Honigstein told the Totally Football Show podcast.

I think he did want Fred and Ronnie;
Pep wanted them all. Luckily for City we didn’t let Pep screw them over. It’s happened many times with Klopp too where the clubs targets have proven better than them managers.

Devil You Know

Because you love the club, but it's not really good for your career is it? It also depends on how you view your level. Maguire was bought to be a starter, now he's been stripped of the captaincy, and is becoming a global meme. His presence at the club brings a lot of humiliation for him.
Maybe he also loves the club. And at 30, he doesn't believe he has a career to protect.

Ander Herrera was in tears about leaving a club where he'd become a squad player. Sometimes players want to stay.

lex talionis

Harry may well have concluded that he’s already lost his place in the NT and if that’s the case all he’s got left is a vacuum cleaner that specializes in hoovering cash.

And it’s hard to see Harry having any kind of future career in management, punditry or consulting.

TempusFugit

Maguire is just desperate to stay here because no other club on our level will buy him. Real, Barca, City, Napoli, every single club that wants to challenge for the league and play CL football would want nothing to do with Maguire. He thinks he's a CL level player and that West Ham is beneath him.

This is what happens when you make a Leicester CB the most expensive defender of all time, pay him almost £200k per week and make him your captain. He starts believing his own hype and genuinely thinks he's a top CB. It's no wonder Ronaldo was so opposed to his captaincy, how do you even respect the guy when he costs the team goals almost every week? We're stuck with him as he'll refuse every move he believes to be lower than his level. No one wants him here, not the manager, not the fans. There will be a total meltdown next time he makes a mistake (it's inevitable really). Just a matter of time.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Simply give him the job of being Johnny Evan's assistant coach with the kids - no number, no position. The club fulfils its legal employer responsibilities while he assists someone we saw surplus to requirements eight years ago, but is still going to be one above him in the pecking order.
But then you get £0 transfer fees and lose £10m a year in wages. For a player who’s not going to play. It seems a lot of money just to get one up on a player you don’t like.

Devil You Know

Harry may well have concluded that he’s already lost his place in the NT and if that’s the case all he’s got left is a vacuum cleaner that specializes in hoovering cash.

And it’s hard to see Harry having any kind of future career in management, punditry or consulting.
If it's about money, what do you think the fee should be that Manchester United should accept?

Nogho

One thing I can't get my head around is this...If you have a turd at your work that constantly make things harder for you and your fellow work mates, would you not address this by talking to your boss? I mean, if you play for United and have high expectations of yourself and your team, Harry is that kind of turd. I know I would be furious. I remember when I was playing football when growing up, you always dreaded when THAT guy was substituted or picked to start. You knew that a mistake would happen and you all had to make up for it.

Strats

One thing I can't get my head around is this...If you have a turd at your work that constantly make things harder for you and your fellow work mates, would you not address this by talking to your boss? I mean, if you play for United and have high expectations of yourself and your team, Harry is that kind of turd. I know I would be furious. I remember when I was playing football when growing up, you always dreaded when THAT guy was substituted or picked to start. You knew that a mistake would happen and you all had to make up for it.
Do get flashbacks from my playing days reading this. We had issues with a guy like that who also had a arrogant demeanour thinking he was good enough to be a starter.

Maguire strikes me to have the same type of ways in his behaviour based on his comments about not having to prove. Never good for the group to have a guy with that attitude in the squad.

Do also remember from goal that Antony scored last season where he completely changed his facial impression to the worse when Maguire approached him after a goal. :lol: That said, Antony doesn’t have much of a reason to act arrogant either.

BootsyCollins

He only holds cards if ETH wants him. If the alleged £15m pay off is true then that’s insane. Makes no sense to sell him then and he knows it. However if ETH is annoyed by this then he can simply refuse to play him bench and that’s it. No5 choice CH at best. Kills his England career as well. 15m is not the difference in wages it’s just stupid. Why do people keep bringing in Chelsea as if their model is correct it’s a joke.
But thats my point. Even as 5th choice CB he will get enough time on the pitch to probably keep his England spot. Varane cant play all the time and Victor and Martinez will be out for injuries or fatigue from time to time.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Not sure why people are up in arms about Maguire staying, a very good squad option who seems willing to fight for his place, that usually what fans and managers want to see.

But of course it's Harry Maguire, and most of the fan base seems to have been taken in by the pathetic online memes.

Enigma_87

You know who
Only that your anger stems from a misdirected sense of justice. He's not rinsing the club. It's hypocritical to criticize players for fulfilling their contracts when you don't want them around any longer but at the same time expect players who want to leave to respect theirs. So you're entitled to your opinion but if that's your opinion, you're wrong, plain and simple.
So it's right to get the full payment in advance for a contract you haven't served and you go on and play for another employer who also pays you on top of the lump sum you just got?

He continuously underperforms and frankly currently sucks at the position he was hired for, naturally there will be anger coming from the "clients" of United as they are also paying for their support. Pretty natural isn't it?

Based on reports he is willing to go to another club if he's paid, which is the irritating part. If he just want to be at United and collect that paycheck then come out and flat out reject the approach from WH.

This is also coming from someone who couple of months ago was our captain.

As I've said - if he wants to sit on a bench and not play much for two years to collect his pay check - it's ok as United was the idiots to sign him for that contract - I'm ok with that.

But I'm not ok to pay him two years in advance to go and play straight away for another club who will also pay him, that's the greedy part.

Enigma_87

You know who
But then you get £0 transfer fees and lose £10m a year in wages. For a player who’s not going to play. It seems a lot of money just to get one up on a player you don’t like.
I'm pretty sure we paid more than that to sack Moyes and probably Ole.

Plastic Evra

Maguire can qualify for homegrown status, right ? I know McTominay is for United, but I wonder if that is a consideration for possibly letting them go and replacing them ?

r0663664

Worships Man City
Maguire thinks he still have an opportunity at United. We will have more than 50 games this season and he will probably start in some odd games and substitute. He is sitting on a high wage and probably has bonus tied to performance. He reckon it is still better for him to stay at United than going to West Ham. He probably earns similar or more having play less games. He will stick around till the end of his contract and join a promoted club in a couple of years time. He is looking out of his own interest which is nothing wrong. Let's hope he perform with the limited chances that he will get.

hobbers

Not sure why people are up in arms about Maguire staying, a very good squad option who seems willing to fight for his place, that usually what fans and managers want to see.

But of course it's Harry Maguire, and most of the fan base seems to have been taken in by the pathetic online memes.
Not good enough to be a squad player, can’t play in the system we want to play, and earning 190k a week.

How in the feck can you call him a good squad option when ETH has already shown he prefers playing back fours of AWB Lindelof Shaw Malacia/Dalot than letting Maguire out on the pitch. He literally prefers Dalot at left back than letting slabhead get game time.

bstb3

Is he though? A good squad option I mean. He's what, fourth choice? 190k a week, hardly playing and his attributes don't seem to suit how we want to play going forwards. Sure he can get his head on a ball and isn't as bad as made out, but if we were looking for squad options in the open market I can't imagine we would be looking at anything like that profile. He's in the squad because he hasn't left and so we will make use of him. It's a stretch to call it a good option though, more a make do option.

I know it's easy to paint everyone wanting him gone as Maguire haters, but it's not entirely true. There is for some of us a realisation that what he costs us in no way matches what he brings. That's not his fault, but it doesn't stop people from wanting the situation resolved to everyone's benefit if possible. If it's not in everyone's benefit then at least Manchester United's, because that's who we support at the end of the day.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He didn't force United at gun point to offer him contract. He's well within his rights to stay or leave on his conditons.
Exactly.

If you're rational, you don't. You involve him in training, give him smaller games, because there's every chance he may be needed if your first choice defenders go down. Or you just take the loss on the chin and sell him.

But when have fans ever been rational? Hence the "let him rot" chants. Thankfully, EtH is much smarter.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm not sure how this translates. You think Bruno and co will be complaining to the manager about Maguire's presence in the squad?

I promise you they don't give a feck. If anything, they're thankful Maguire is the current lightning rod attracting any criticism their feckups would otherwise generate.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Not good enough to be a squad player, can’t play in the system we want to play, and earning 190k a week.

How in the feck can you call him a good squad option when ETH has already shown he prefers playing back fours of AWB Lindelof Shaw Malacia/Dalot than letting Maguire out on the pitch. He literally prefers Dalot at left back than letting slabhead get game time.
I'd say his 31 appearances last season suggests otherwise.

I wager he gets similar numbers this season, which is fine for a squad player, someone who wants to be at the club and is willing to fight for his place back.

As for playing in the system, you're right, he doesn't suit the system that Ten Hag wants to play but we won't play that same system every game, nor does every team have players that 'suit' their system.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We paid Sanchez a lot more to feck off and we got nothing in return. Utd obviously looking at the value of the situation and not budging. He’s ok here as a squad player unless we break this financial threshold. I’m fine with it. He’ll probably go next summer for less money but we get a decent backup in the meantime. Hopefully when he does leave we've used the extra time to find and recruit the best young centre back prospect in the world, whoever that may be.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Well, we know that Eric Bailly had words with Solskjaer about this, and was told that Maguire had to play because of his price tag....(Allegedly).. :rolleyes:

Redlyn

Only that your anger stems from a misdirected sense of justice. He's not rinsing the club. It's hypocritical to criticize players for fulfilling their contracts when you don't want them around any longer but at the same time expect players who want to leave to respect theirs. So you're entitled to your opinion but if that's your opinion, you're wrong, plain and simple.
Good to know that only YOUR opinion is valid. I don't even disagree with most of this post of yours. But that is not the point.
All the difference lies in the numbers and frankly none of us have it so we can only deal in hypotheticals.
I am defending his right to have a good compensation. But in the hypothetical situation where he gets his full future salary in advance before leaving is the exact definition of rinsing the club. Sorry you can't understand this.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
You can have the all nuanced debate in the world on this, but the simple fact is: the guy’s a prick.
why because he wants the money the club offered to him in a contract?

I want him gone from a football point of view but calling him a prick because he wont walk away from million of pounds is ludicrous. He should forget about millions because the current manager doesn't want to play him? Have a day off.

Zero of any of us would leave a job if we were entitled to stay and get a massive payout.

FerociousCorgis

considering how maguire acted last season where even though he was hardly getting gametime he had to get the captains armband, and how he acted during the trophy lifting in a cup competition he hardly played in just reinforced my opinion this guy is either incredibly naive or completely full of himself.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So it's right to get the full payment in advance for a contract you haven't served and you go on and play for another employer who also pays you on top of the lump sum you just got?

He continuously underperforms and frankly currently sucks at the position he was hired for, naturally there will be anger coming from the "clients" of United as they are also paying for their support. Pretty natural isn't it?

Based on reports he is willing to go to another club if he's paid, which is the irritating part. If he just want to be at United and collect that paycheck then come out and flat out reject the approach from WH.

This is also coming from someone who couple of months ago was our captain.

As I've said - if he wants to sit on a bench and not play much for two years to collect his pay check - it's ok as United was the idiots to sign him for that contract - I'm ok with that.

But I'm not ok to pay him two years in advance to go and play straight away for another club who will also pay him, that's the greedy part.

He has a contract with you, you want to terminate said contract which is only possible with his blessing, he tells you his conditions. If the parties agree, they part ways, if not, the contract remains as it is. Nothing of what he does is wrong. He's not doing anything wrong as long as he fulfills his part of the deal - playing for Manchester United. You're just angry because of the situation and looking for a scapegoat.

Good to know that only YOUR opinion is valid. I don't even disagree with most of this post of yours. But that is not the point.
All the difference lies in the numbers and frankly none of us have it so we can only deal in hypotheticals.
I am defending his right to have a good compensation. But in the hypothetical situation where he gets his full future salary in advance before leaving is the exact definition of rinsing the club. Sorry you can't understand this.
How could he rinse the club when the only leverage he has is seeing out the contract both parties signed? And where is the difference to a club that refuses to sell a player/asks for an unreasonably high sum when the contract isn't expiring anytime soon?

Marcus

We as fans should just move on. The club on the other hand should do all they can to persuade Maguire to go behind the scenes. He was never accepted as a genuine captain and soon will not be accepted as a player. This is very tragic but true. He has been an outsider and remains so.

Enigma_87

You know who
He has a contract with you, you want to terminate said contract which is only possible with his blessing, he tells you his conditions. If the parties agree, they part ways, if not, the contract remains as it is. Nothing of what he does is wrong. He's not doing anything wrong as long as he fulfills his part of the deal - playing for Manchester United. You're just angry because of the situation and looking for a scapegoat.
We don't want to terminate the contract. If we did, we wouldn't be having this conversation - a bit like sacking managers goes. We had an offer from another company interested in hiring him. We accepted the offer. We were looking for a new body to hire in the aforementioned player's place. The player received an offer for his personal terms and he didn't like it.

Then he wanted to receive the full amount of the remainder of his contract (he hasn't served that yet) in order to accept the other offer.

Let's see it from the company point of view:
1. You hire a promising employee to a X year contract.
2. He begins to underperform in his duties
3. You obviously want to bring in replacement
4. The employee is interested in parting ways depending on the financial offer (he hasn't flat out denied WH)
5. He wants you to pay him 1-2 years of his future earnings to start a job at a new employer who also will pay him during that time
6. If he continues to assume his position it costs you revenue and targets (Sevilla game for example)

What would you do if you are the employer?

Devil You Know

15 million English pounds? He'd be wanting a controlling stake in the club next.
£8m is the wage he'll get from West Ham. £7m is the difference between what he's currently getting and the shortfall Man Utd would need to make up.

United received an offer of £30m. If you subtract the £7m payoff, that means we'd get £23m if we accepted. If EtH wanted Maguire gone, he'd be gone.

Clearly, EtH feels Maguire is worth more than £23m to the club or else the move would have been sanctioned by now.

So maybe we should send Ten Hag to manage the reserves as punishment until he agrees to sell Maguire for the offer on the table. Or Something.

Devil You Know

We as fans should just move on. The club on the other hand should do all they can to persuade Maguire to go behind the scenes. He was never accepted as a genuine captain and soon will not be accepted as a player. This is very tragic but true. He has been an outsider and remains so.
If it was that important to the club, we would have already accepted the £30m (minus £7m payoff) offer on the table from West Ham.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
ETH has to tell him to feck off basically. Don't leave any fecking door open. Tell him it's either reserves football or he fecks off.
We need to be decisive with shit players

Devil You Know

ETH has to tell him to feck off basically. Don't leave any fecking door open. Tell him it's either reserves football or he fecks off.
We need to be decisive with shit players
There's an offer from West Ham that we could have accepted.

We haven't told Maguire to f-off because we'd rather keep him than take the money.

Roboc7

He might need another season for his ego to accept that he isn’t winning his place back and that he’s not getting a move to one of top teams in the league.

The payoff is standard practice, Fred just have been given as no way his new club will be matching what he was on here.

jeff_goldblum

Maguire is case in point of how a lot of fans are incapable of preventing their frustration at our poor squad management over the years from boiling over into borderline-obsessive personal hatred of players who are at the club as a result.

Obviously Maguire is the prime example because he was signed for massive money and given the captaincy despite not being up to standard at the time and having dropped off hugely since, but you can find examples in almost every player thread on the forum.

People will say it's about him being arrogant or whatever rather than him being shit, but we all know you wouldn't care how much of a dick he was if he was delivering on the pitch. Most of this forum loved Ronaldo for years after he left despite him being a much bigger dickhead than Maguire could ever hope to be. Hell, we know from recent events that a decent chunk of the forum will forgive or ignore almost any transgression if the player is talented enough.