Maguire Injury - Calf, September, 2021

A-man

I'm curious if this has something to do with his ankle injury last season. Is it the same leg?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The calf is a notoriously difficult injury to get over. It's probably just about the worst muscle pull you can do in terms of recovery. Now obviously we don't quite know the extent and it appeared fairly minor at first viewing but I wouldn't be surprised if this drags on 3/4 weeks.

Nickelodeon

For some strange reason, I'm excited about the Varane-Lindelof partnership.

OleBoiii

When is he expected to be back?

Is it a minor or major injury? If it's the latter, then update the title from "Calf" to "Cow", please.

MayfieldsFinest

Our best defender is Varane.
Bullshit. FFS what does serial Champions league winning, La Liga winning, world cup winning, European championship winning Varane have over the big fella from Sheffuld?

Giggsy13

Considering his poor start to the season, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Varane and Lindelof partnership

GueRed

This ain't good man. For all his faults he's still our best defender. Be interesting to see how Varane does with a new partner.
One of them (Lindelof/Varane) is going have to speak up and be dominant.
They are both relatively quiet. And with passive De Gea behind them it will be interesting to see how they shape up...

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The bit what worries me is when Ole said "doesn't look good". Hopefully it's weeks and not months!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well, I suppose the plus of signing Varane wasn't just improving the first team but also improving depth. At least now when Maguire gets injured it's Lindelof coming into the team rather than someone like Bailly.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Well, I suppose the plus of signing Varane wasn't just improving the first team but also improving depth. At least now when Maguire gets injured it's Lindelof coming into the team rather than someone like Bailly.
true, I also thought Lindelof was better than Maguire in the first few games of the season.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
For the slowest man in the world to pick up any kind of injury fills me with dread.

Robbie Boy

Not the end of the world. Maguire has been a-bit all over the place this season. I'm not sure Lindelof will be any kind of downgrade.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'm excited about Ole being forced to give a set two a run of games in which to develop a partnership. Maguire did well last season and in the Euros, but not too concerned about this injury.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Shaw is clearly our best defender (barring his last appearance).

I think Varane has been better than Maguire this season but the latter is an important player. Not comfortable with Varane-Lindelof given how new Varane is.

HailtotheKing

Me too. I think they could work well together. Except for the heading, Lindelof could be a real asset. I'm also a little upset at Ole for leaving Maguire on so long when it was clear he was in trouble. We were lucky Villa didn't capitalize on it because they definitely focused on him and he couldn't move freely. I get that Ole didn't want to make a second sub if he didn't have to but he consistently seems to risk players further injury (i.e. Rashford).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Does Varane ever play at LCB? It's the one thing I'm not sure about Varane Lindelof- it's who should be at LCB; I think I want Varane there.

BlueHaze

It's just typical, we finally sign a world class CB to keep Lindelof out of the team and then the other one gets injured and he's right back in.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Me too. I think they could work well together. Except for the heading, Lindelof could be a real asset. I'm also a little upset at Ole for leaving Maguire on so long when it was clear he was in trouble. We were lucky Villa didn't capitalize on it because they definitely focused on him and he couldn't move freely. I get that Ole didn't want to make a second sub if he didn't have to but he consistently seems to risk players further injury (i.e. Rashford).
We still lost the game so what luck did we have ?

tomaldinho1

Blessing in disguise.

Watch us go clean sheeted for 10 games in a row with Lindelof Varane partnership.
I'm actually intrigued. Maguire's early season form was awful, hope he recovers swiftly but will be interesting to see how Lindelof/Varane get on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
At least he can use another dreaded International break to absorb 2 weeks of the spell out.
And at least we have Varane now, as we utterly fell apart when Maguire missed the last few weeks last season.

HailtotheKing

We still lost the game so what luck did we have ?
Yeah, I'm not talking about our overall luck, I'm talking about a particular moment and saying we were lucky something didn't come of it due to that decision. i.e. I don't think it was a great decision to leave him on. And it's probably also worsened his injury.

RedDevil@84

I am curious to see how it goes. Unlike many posters in here, I believe Lindelof is a good defender with some obvious flaws. We ll see how he build that partnership with Varane.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I know he's had a poor start to the season, but this is pretty shite for us. An injury to either Varane or Lindelof and we've got Bailly.

Should have moved Bailly on when he was going public with his discontentment. Shame Tuanzebe is out on loan, him and Varane would have allowed us to actually deploy a high line without panic.