Maguire is no longer United captain

Cloud7

Finally. Never should have been given it in the first place.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Honestly feel a bit sorry for him now. He needs to move to ensure his career doesn’t go the way of Jones’. I still think he’d do a job for a side, just not ours
One of the daftest posts I’ve ever read on here considering his superb fitness and availability for teams he plays for.

Sylar

Best move for United, which is what I'm more interested in than anything else.

I thought Maguires best form was in Ole second season especially second half with Henderson in goal until he got injured (was a shame he missed the Europa final)

siw2007

On a personable level, I can empathise with Maguire. I understand his disappointment at losing the armband, I appreciate that it was a proud moment for him to be the captain. I would say that where the armband should serve as an inspiration to whoever where’s it and the team, it has proved to be a heavy burden to Maguire who has struggled with the pressure and let his form desert him. In time, he may feel some relief that the weight of the armband has been lifted and he can concentrate on getting back to his best, that will probably be away from United though.

Going forwards, this is a new team and it is a developing team. It is one where he is not the leader of, and thus it is the right decision by the management to hand over the armband to someone who is. I fully expect that to be Fernandes.

Revaulx

Correct.

To remind myself how normal the statement is, I’ve just looked at what happened with Tyrone Mings last summer. Unsurprisingly, he wrote a similarly respectful statement and wished John McGinn the best publicly.

In this day and age, not saying anything would be weird.

The cultish way in which people hate Maguire (on what seems to be a suspiciously personal level) is really, very strange.
I’ve never warmed to him, but the dignified way he’s handled himself in recent times has rather impressed me. And yes it’s weird that people find grounds to further criticise him for stuff like this :rolleyes:

stu_1992

Oh wow. I just kind of expected it would kept quiet and he'd be eventualy sold. Didn't expect Maguire to be breaking the news anyway.

Blackwidow

Maguire is not the smartest one, or? His statement somehow tells that the "big, bad manager" has stripped him of the captaincy what he cannot understand...

If he would be smart he would have told that it atleast was in agreement with Ten Hag...

Orange Tree

As expected as he doesn't play when everyone is fit. He was already behind Lindelöf towards the end of last season. Makes no sense to let him stay as captain.

I'm hoping Varane as next captain, but I expect it to be Bruno.

bringbackbebe

Maguire is not the smartest one, or? His statement somehow tells that the "big, bad manager" has stripped him of the captaincy what he cannot understand...

If he would be smart he would have told that it atleast was in agreement with Ten Hag...
Leave him be. It's a hard position to be in, so him wanting a little consolation is not asking for too much.

Tony247

There was no need for any statement actually. Just take it quietly and move on.

Irwin99

Nice response i feel. I know he says he'll continue to play for the shirt and all that but it must be getting close to the end for him here.

In hindsight, giving him the captaincy almost right off the bat was insanity. I know we didn't exactly have many leaders at the club at that time anyway but talk about putting pressure on a new 80 million signing

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Probably the first player I've came cross being striped of his captaincy for being shite.

Telsim

Years overdue. In fact, shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Amazing how people can come to polar opposite conclusions based on the same scenario.

It's definitely a nudge for him to leave. Above all, disregarding Maguire, it's a necessary change for United to have a captain playing regularly that also commands the respect of his squad.
I just figure there's no need for a statement, or public captaincy handover, if he's going anyway.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If he was leaving then I don't think this would have happened. To me, it's a sign he's probably staying.
We can't be 100% certain that he's leaving until another club have come in and agreed a deal with us (and him). It's not a good position to be in to officially have him as captain until that time, while everyone and their dog knows that he's barely going to play and the club will happily sell him if the option is there.

There was no need for him to post it on Twitter with an emotional message. He never deserved the armband.
Seriously? In hindsight of course he shouldn't have got it, although it should be noted that there wasn't a single player in the team at that time that would have been a good choice. But he did get it so making that statement when it's taken off him is absolutely the right thing to do, for himself, the fans and the club. People would be getting angry about him showing disrespect if he just stayed silent and hadn't said anything once we knew about the captaincy changing. The only thing that perhaps could have been done different is for him to say that he understood the decision instead of only saying he was disappointed in it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Years overdue. In fact, shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Says more about the state of our squad at the time. Not saying Maguire was suitable, but neither was anyone else.

leeroyTX

Right move to make regardless of if he is staying or not. Performance on the pitch has to play a part.

Bruno seems like the obvious answer but my choice is Casemiro.

Rake

A blow for him but this needed to happen. Not only that but he shouldn't be the second captain either. I really do not think he has a future at the club and should move on while he can get a decent contract elsewhere.

Says more about the state of our squad at the time. Not saying Maguire was suitable, but neither was anyone else.
I think EtH wanted to get a clear picture of personalities and demeanor. Like all good managers (even in business), you start by observing and gradually introducing changes. Once Maguire dropped in the pecking order, it was obvious that he won't be captain the next season.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Wtf no it doesn't. It comes across as entitled and bitter because you hate him; nothing in the actual statement comes across that way even in the slightest.
The fact that you think I hate him is only because you hate me. See how that works? I don’t hate him. I just found it strange that he felt the need to post it. Never seen an internal decision like stripping off captaincy being posted like that on twitter before atleast not from a United captain.

ForceKing90

He seems genuinely perplexed that he's lost the captaincy, and to think that he's only got to work hard to be a first team player again. I guess the kind of delusion you need to be a winner, but still... Can't imagine him leaving if he thinks that way.
He's so naive it's comedy at this point.

Tiber

Classy tweet. He should be a starter anyone, but Maguire is a good guy would like to see him move on and rebuild his reputation

seanboy

Am I the only one imitating Maguires voice while reading that statement?

To be honest it got annoying when he was taking the armband everytime he came on for his two minute cameos last year.

Revan

Assumptionman
Great decision. Actually mentioned today that he should get some incentives to leave the club, and stripping him from captaincy was an obvious first step.

I wouldn’t advocate throwing him in U23, cause it is not his fault we were stupid to give him than contract in the first place. But stripping him from captaincy and telling him he is 5th choice CB is just good management.

ETH has been ruthless and love it.