Maguire is no longer United captain

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Should never been a United player, let alone captain.

Let's hope both of these injustices get corrected this summer.

Robbie Boy

Hopefully that spells the end of his future here. He's the one player that I desperately want to see the back of.

Roboc7

Who would you have appointed at that time? I think there was general acceptance around the fan base that he was the best option at that point, it made sense tbf.
There wasn’t a general acceptance, he clearly wasn’t a leader or suited to being Captain. It was a rushed decision made halfway through the season and I’m sure even Ole regretted it. Should have waited until the end of that season and let longest serving/most experienced players fill in for remainder.

M Bison

Supports
York City
There wasn’t a general acceptance, he clearly wasn’t a leader or suited to being Captain. It was a rushed decision made halfway through the season and I’m sure even Ole regretted it. Should have waited until the end of that season and let longest serving/most experienced players fill in for remainder.
Maybe we remember it differently but i think this forum was largely on board with it, there wasnt much of an alternative at the time.

stw2022

"I've discussed it with the manager and we've agreed it's best if I run along side the team coach when travelling to away matches" will be next

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Everyone at Manchester United thanks Harry for his contribution as captain over the past three-and-a-half years.

The manager will announce the new captain in due course, after he has informed the players.

Indian Red

A player who I am sure is one of the most viciously trolled footballer in the social media, gets an embarrassing decision (a right decision, mind you) against him again. So the club decides that let him make it public with a graceful message to fans, rather than the club putting out a generic statement.
I can't believe that there are people who can't get this scenario. I think most people have an unhealthy level of hatred towards him.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Just a reminder, in the week where Dele Alli has talked about personal problems causing his downfall, don't be too harsh on Harry who is experiencing quite a fall from grace.
These little introspective sessions are all well and good but you watch the next time Sancho (another player rumoured to be dealing with some heavy off field stuff) misplaces a pass this Wednesday, all will be forgotten and all bets off again.
That was from my post in the "Does it matter how we criticise footballers on this forum?" thread, mine was about Sancho but still equally relevant for Maguire's situation. People refuse to learn or see how their actions feed a toxic culture.

M Bison

Supports
York City
That was from my post in the "Does it matter how we criticise footballers on this forum?" thread, mine was about Sancho but still equally relevant for Maguire's situation. People refuse to learn or see how their actions feed a toxic culture.
Agreed, absolutely.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It really isn't ruthless, it's just being a strong leader and making sensible decisions for the greater good. Positive move!
I wanted to say the same. Has nothing to do with being ruthless but setting standards for everyone

IrishRedDevil

Statement Sunday.

Manchester United and Harry Maguire would like to go on record and say tomorrow is Monday. Stay tuned for more exciting updates.

TheGame

You just need to take a read of this thread to show there is an element who really don’t give a toss despite that interview and are really as toxic as you can get.

Doracle

I don’t dislike Maguire but this is obviously the right move. He’s not in our first 11 nor is he a legend at the end of his career (a la Robson) who it makes sense remains club captain.

red.knight

Maguire has had to deal with a lot of disappointment over the last 12 to 18 months and he always deals with the situations with class and dignity. Says a lot about the man, not just the footballer. I hope he can find a new club this summer and one more demonstrate the qualities that took him to old Trafford in the first place. Despite been the butt of a large number of fans jokes he is a fine player having a tough time.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think if he is now left to muse on his position in the squad and having no captaincy to cling on to (and let’s face it, being captain of a club like United is a very hard thing for anyone to let go of), I think he will end up leaving.

He is always fit and has shown he can play well at the very highest level in international tournaments. West Ham and Moyes is a perfect move for him.

West Ham were poor defensively last season and could do with a more physical presence in the box and more aggression in midfield. The Conference win disguised that to a degree and also bought Moyes more time.

Maguire and McTominey immediately make them a better Moyes team and could serve them very well over the next few years.

West Ham and England worked out very well for the greatest English center back of all time Harry! It’s the right move :D

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Club and Maguire have no self awareness what so ever.

Can’t wait for these sorts of things to be nipped in the bud.

Maguire hasn’t been captain for a year now but he needs the manager to directly tell him to his face for him to realise it.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Got to be Varane surely? Would say Casemiro but only his second season and don’t think he speaks English. Shaw or Rashford for vice.

Mmm-Qatarian

This has been handled in quite literally the most inoffensive way I could imagine from all parties, so of course you've got some idiots who are choosing to take offense at it.

There really is no winning with some people.

DavelinaJolie

Hopefully, for his sake, he gets a move to a team that suits his style of play and he can rebuild his confidence.

I don't understand the illwill towards him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Correct decision, though I was hoping it'd take place by default once he's sold this summer. A bit harsh telling him now. Most likely he made it clear that he wants to stay.

Bruno will be the next captain but for me it's the wrong decision. I'd rather Varane or Cas, who have the mental strength and the right attitude on the pitch, Bruno has neither.
Varane is injured too much. I would probably prefer Martinez.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Club and Maguire have no self awareness what so ever.

Can’t wait for these sorts of things to be nipped in the bud.

Maguire hasn’t been captain for a year now but he needs the manager to directly tell him to his face for him to realise it.
Every team has a “club captain” though? Not sure I follow the uproar over the statement on here, would have been more odd had nothing been said and Maguire played next season and not as captain.

Andersons Dietician

It’s never nice someone losing their job and if he leaves best of luck to him.

He was forced on to some sort of pedestal by media and fans that he never belonged on and over his time at United he showed that he was a good defender but not the most expensive defender in the world good.

He was certainly never captain material but again he was probably the only viable option at the time. So again probably forced in to a position. Although seems like he does think quite highly of himself or he was just pulling A Gatsby.

Surely has to be Cas as captain. Bruno has a tendency to quit and sulk when games get hard. Although wouldn’t be upset if he got it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good decision, hopefully it will be Bruno or Casemiro.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I think if he is now left to muse on his position in the squad and having no captaincy to cling on to (and let’s face it, being captain of a club like United is a very hard thing for anyone to let go of), I think he will end up leaving.

He is always fit and has shown he can play well at the very highest level in international tournaments. West Ham and Moyes is a perfect move for him.

West Ham were poor defensively last season and could do with a more physical presence in the box and more aggression in midfield. The Conference win disguised that to a degree and also bought Moyes more time.

Maguire and McTominey immediately make them a better Moyes team and could serve them very well over the next few years.

West Ham and England worked out very well for the greatest English center back of all time Harry! It’s the right move :D
Give us 50 mil for each of then Moyes. It'll pay back the damage you did to the club.

Longshanks

Not Maguires fault, but surely Bruno was a much better option?
I don't think Bruno had actually joined when Maguire was made captain, or if he had, barely had his foot in the door. Maguire had at least been here 6 months at the time.

Kag

Thanks Harry. You became captain, then almost immediately went on holiday during a global pandemic and got arrested.

I won't mention the on the pitch performance.
:lol: this is the best yet.

Harry Maguire. Covid-spreader and Granny-murderer, passing on the sniffles all the way from Greece.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's extremely strange. I'm not sure how anybody could read that Tweet and think "Wow, that comes across as bitter and entitled". It's the most generic, milquetoast footballer Tweet you could hope to get and like we've both said, had he not put it out there you can bet your bottom dollar at least one of the tabloids would be running an article about how "LIVID" he is with Ten Hag's decision.
If not the media, then some on here would also criticise him for a lack of statement/support etc. There’s sadly just no winning for Maguire at the moment. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.

And trust me, I’m someone who hopes to see the back of him now before the season starts! Glad the captaincy is sorted. EtH really has handled all these challenges immaculately.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Seen a lot of suggestions for Rashford and Shaw. Don’t think they show enough leadership on the pitch to be captain. My 3 choices would be Bruno, Casemiro, Varane.

Red00012

Hes confirmed hes not going anywhere, unless its a ploy to get a better offer for the club but seeming reluctant to leave but I think hes here for the new season ahead. Cant see us signing an attacker now if we cant shift anyone on and Maguire was going to be a good chunk of that.
You honestly think we are going to just going to have Martial as our only recognised striker ? :lol: