Maguire is no longer United captain

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Casemiro strikes me as the real leader on the pitch, or even Martinez to an extent.

But Bruno is the obvious choice. He's served for a fair amount of time, he has already captained us (even if somewhat unofficial) and he's clearly respected by his teammates.

I can't see ETH doing anything as outlandish as Ole when he appointed Maguire.

One thing for certain, as commendable as it is seeing a player state they want to improve and fight for their place, this is different gravy. Not many players get stripped of the strap and come back better. Xhaka did it, albeit for a single season about 2 years after being stripped, can't think of too many other examples.

Last edited:

Lost bear

I think it might be Bruno to replace Maguire as captain. Alertnatives, either Varane or Case. Knowing how highly ETH rates Bruno, though, I'd guess at him.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Ten Hag not fecking around.

Good statement from Harry though.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is obvious choice for Erik;
Bruno captain, Varane vice captain, Casemiro 2nd vice captain.

Parma Dewol

Ten Hag not fecking around.
Continues to impress. The amount of crap he has managed to rectify or eradicate in such a short space of time is remarkable. And in just about every instance he has handled the situation so well, which is not easy given the spotlight the Manchester United manager has to work under.

Dannn411

No self respecting player stays at the club after this so surely he will actively look to leave now. Kind of embarrassing on Maguire's part that it came to this for him to realise his position at the club. Some things don't need to be said for you to realise its over. Older managers would not have even called him in to say anything to him. They'd just give someone else the armband and move on. Just st unning lack of self awareness.

Dempsey19

I never really thought of him as captain anyway when he was on the pitch. The guy made everyone else around him nervous as feck.

OmarUnited4ever

Appreciate Maguire and the club coming out with a statement now, jurnos will surely hound EtH during preseason press conferences but it will die down before the season starts.

I am thinking Bruno is the obvious choice, but if we go by seniority in the team, is Shaw now the one with the longest tenure in the club after DDG and Jones' departure?

Anyway it's probably Bruno and Varane as captain and vice.

Mmm-Qatarian

If not the media, then some on here would also criticise him for a lack of statement/support etc. There’s sadly just no winning for Maguire at the moment. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.

And trust me, I’m someone who hopes to see the back of him now before the season starts! Glad the captaincy is sorted. EtH really has handled all these challenges immaculately.
Oh yeah. These same people would be up in arms about how delusional and entitled Maguire is the first time The Sun published their article about how "FURIOUS" he is about losing the captaincy.

JediSith

I like Bruno but he becomes too petulant especially when we’re down. For me Casemiro, Varane or Martinez

Revan

Assumptionman
Who would you have appointed at that time? I think there was general acceptance around the fan base that he was the best option at that point, it made sense tbf.
De Gea and Rashford were the obvious choices.

Maguire was one of the worst choices considering that a) he had just joined and b) he had no captain experience be it on his previous clubs or for the NT.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Correct call, you can’t have your club captain that is not getting substantial minutes in the first XI - Harry is well down the pecking order.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
you sad, pathetic sheeple. there’s no way maguire was unelected as captain, this is just mainstream media bullshit, as always. ten hag was never actually made manager of man united, he’s been played by an actor (jason statham.) ole got fed up with all the criticism so the cloob devised a plan that took him out of the spotlight, and allowed him to continue coaching and managing the team behind the scenes. the decision was vindicated with the league cup win last season.

maguire has been “sacrificed” as it allows the club to monitor which so called fans rejoice and back fernandes, the foreign sulker. they’re sure these same fans will no doubt be involved in paedophile rings and they’ve been supplying ip addresses of those posters to the military. he’s still my captain. rimanon. where we go one, we go ole.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Maguire was one of the worst choices considering that a) he had just joined and b) he had no captain experience be it on his previous clubs or for the NT.
I wouldn’t say that a 22-year old Rashford was an obvious choice. DDG has also struggled under pressure, so no need to add to that with the armband. Neither of them had that captain experience either. We were really lacking in leadership with the squad we had.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
you sad, pathetic sheeple. there’s no way maguire was unelected as captain, this is just mainstream media bullshit, as always. ten hag was never actually made manager of man united, he’s been played by an actor (jason statham.) ole got fed up with all the criticism so the cloob devised a plan that took him out of the spotlight, and allowed him to continue coaching and managing the team behind the scenes. the decision was vindicated with the league cup win last season.

maguire has been “sacrificed” as it allows the club to monitor which so called fans rejoice and back fernandes, the foreign sulker. they’re sure these same fans will no doubt be involved in paedophile rings and they’ve been supplying ip addresses of those posters to the military. he’s still my captain. rimanon. where we go one, we go ole.
There’s no military involved at all you lemon.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

I reckon that’s what Ole used to make him sign. ‘We’ll give you captain’

Longshanks

Rashford was 21 at the time and trying to establish himself, dosent scream captain material anyway and definetley not at 21.

De Gea ticked all the boxes other than for the fact he has no leadership qualities and was in very poor form at the time.

KjaAnd

Kudos to EtH for being ruthless once again (Ronaldo, De Gea). Very refreshing. Would be great if we manage to somehow offload him to West Ham but i doubt it.

Chief123

It was just a formality. All the players and fans stopped seeing him as captain many months ago.

mu4c_20le

He captained the side 12 times that season, along with others like Rashford, DDG. It wasn't handed to him as soon as he signed, he arguably earned it that year, albeit out of a very small pool.

Giggsy13

A long time coming. He fully lost his grip on being captain after the Greece incident. The final nail in the coffin were those pathetically weak comments he made before the game at anfield during their quadruple bid.

dalriada

Rashford was 21 at the time and trying to establish himself, dosent scream captain material anyway and definetley not at 21.

De Gea ticked all the boxes other than for the fact he has no leadership qualities and was in very poor form at the time.
Maguire was considered the obvious choice for the captaincy at the time he was appointed. Rashford certainly wasn't at that time, as you say, on account of his age. De Gea tended to be used as an unofficial vice-captain when the captain at the time was not playing and there was no obvious vice-captain, presumably on account of his seniority. Let's not forget that Mourinho seemed almost to want to operate without a captain and appointed Valencia, who spoke virtually no English. When Ole arrived, there was no real leader figure because Jose didn't want one and Maguire arrived with high expectations. I don't think Ole was doing anything more than reflecting the likely consensus in the dressing room.
I'd be amazed if Bruno isn't the replacement. Other than that, it'll be interesting to see if ETH has "official" vice-captains or just goes with the tendency to appoint them on a "per game" basis.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
You honestly think we are going to just going to have Martial as our only recognised striker ? :lol:
If we dont have any disposable income I can see it happening, or they might bring Greenwood back into the team, depends how sales go over the next few weeks or so.

tomaldinho1

Give it Licha or Case. Let Bruno be as he is, he’s already walking the tightrope of mouthing of to refs and causing mayhem, captaincy will push him over the edge.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Correct decision. We have a few leaders in the team now. Personally I think Casemiro should be captain. He’s that calibre of player that inspires awe.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only time you can have a club captain barely playing is when it's an older legend, a 35/36 year old Robbo for example, but you'd still appoint a game to game captain in addition to it.

You simply can't have a guy who has slipped to arguably 5th choice centre back being captain for the 8 league games a year he starts, it's just farcical.

A ridiculous decision hyping the pressure on him with the captaincy anyway in fairness. It's a huge enough challenge just stepping up to a United.

Can only be Bruno now.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
There is a function in Microsoft Word where you can replace a word with another

In this case I would replace captain by player in the title of this thread

samlee86

I don’t understand why he’s not pushing for a move to any EPL club. He is still first choice for England yet 5th choice for United. At this rate he won’t be on the pane to Germany for the Euros. If West Ham want him then that makes perfect sense. That definitely is his level.

Another season in the reserves and he might struggle to get an EPL club.

George The Best

I don’t understand why he’s not pushing for a move to any EPL club. He is still first choice for England yet 5th choice for United. At this rate he won’t be on the pane to Germany for the Euros. If West Ham want him then that makes perfect sense. That definitely is his level.

Unlikely to move anywhere unless we subsidise his wages.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I'm sure he'll get a window seat

Enigma_87

You know who
So I wanted to say a massive thank you to the Manchester United fans for all their brilliant support whilst I’ve been wearing the armband.
What support, he’s a walking meme?

still, unfortunately that won’t be enough to see the back of him.

our very own and much more expensive Winston Bogarde.