Maguire needs to be replaced

Conor

over those things and some of them react in their own way (like the way he celebrated).

That's the thing I don't get, you guys are assuming the exact true meaning of the celebration, like you are privy to Maguire mental's state. His football is average enough to be criticized, I don't need to psychoanalyze his goal celebrations.
There aren't really many ways to read into that celebration, other than the obvious. He could have joyously celebrated the goal all he wanted, I'd think it was naff given who he's playing, but it wouldn't have bothered me, considering he's had a shite few weeks. The whole hands on ears thing was just ridiculous though, I don't know how anyone thinks otherwise. The pundits even seemed to unanimously agree on that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There aren't really many ways to read into that celebration, other than the obvious. He could have joyously celebrated the goal all he wanted, I'd think it was naff given who he's playing, but it wouldn't have bothered me, considering he's had a shite few weeks. The whole hands on ears thing was just ridiculous though, I don't know how anyone thinks otherwise. The pundits even seemed to unanimously agree on that.
The pundits are by no means a proof of anything. We have seen many instances in which they speak completely nonsense.

I just find it weird how fans basically wanna dictate how a player should feel and celebrate his goals. That's fecking crazy to me. To each his own.

Ralph1386

I think a lot of players, Maguire included, need to start under a clean slate with a new manager. Some of our players, including Shaw and Bruno as well, look half the player they were last year because of the incompetent coaching.

Last edited:

Conor

The pundits are by no means a proof of anything. We have seen many instances in which they speak completely nonsense.

I just find it weird how fans basically wanna dictate how a player should feel and celebrate his goals. That's fecking crazy to me. To each his own.
By that logic, nobody should be able to comment on anything any other person on the earth does, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He feels a certain way and acted on it, people are commenting on how he acted, pretty standard situation really.

kouroux

By that logic, nobody should be able to comment on anything any other person on the earth does, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He feels a certain way and acted on it, people are commenting on how he acted, pretty standard situation really.
No. You can comment on what you want. You just don't need to comment on everything.
This particular situation is just asking to be upset over really something irrelevant. It makes little sense to me

Flexdegea

As opposed to him saying "entitled fans" are the issue here? How he must have wished that Fergie was not such a driving force amd we were relatively crap throughout, just so he could come out saying "well we did win under Sir Matt, just enjoy us being shite and directionless."

Some of the lot on here saying fans are the issue are living in a world where the likes of Madrid and Barca don't exist. Our fans are so tolerant. Anywhere else at a big and we would have had major issues with Ole dragging us out. But I guess he and you think we are no longer a big club and should just be happy to be also-rans.

That's just it, they can be angry all you want but being constant angry and depressed about the club all they want, that attitude doesn't win ya titles and trophies, exactly the point the fella said about lowering standards..........actually a daft saying regarding the club, doesn't actually mean anything unless it means crying on the Caf and at Old Trafford is what lowering standards really is regarding being a fan.

We all know why we aren't winning major trophies for nearly a decade and it's not fans screaming for Ole head

ICB

Supports
Arsenal
His celebration is a shitty thing to do because it suggests all his apologies after recent games have been bullshit and he actually thinks hes playing well and the critics are wrong.
It would also indicate that the manager and the trainers are either:

(a) not being straight up with him and holding him accountable for his performances; or

(b) they are and he is ignoring them and for some strange reason thinks otherwise.

both are worrying. I’ve experienced this far too many times in recent years as an arsenal fan with some of our players and managers and it is so unbelievably infuriating as a fan.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Agree with the lentwood post, great post and real, this is where we are in football terms, and it's not just UTD fans that need to realise this, it's the ex pros and has beens on Radio stations all over the country.
The silly money has damaged football in a way that's unretrievable. This is how it's going to be from now on. I was remembering the other day when was the best period in the new Premier league and I thought it was 1997 to 2000 . Those seasons were great. In no team ran away with anything. . That's gone gone gone.. you can pick the winners NOW for next season. .. and in 5 or so years you can add Newcastle..
What are you on about? Going into this season people were expecting it to be a four horse race for the league. In the years you described Arsenal won the league once and United won the league the other 3 times, except no one else was expected to challenge. Also United has spent so much money recently and has the 4 of the leagues 6 best paid players so not sure we can say an inability to compete financially is an excuse either.

Siezard

Anyone knows how did Maguire manage to slide for so long and far? Is it that the field is very smooth or is he tremendously skilful at sliding?

redrobed

We came 2nd last year in the toughest league in the world.

You know what the problem is? We have a load of spoilt, nostalgic fans who think just banging on about "high-standards" is enough to win Premier League titles.

Finishing 2nd to a City side who have had £5BN artificially poured in and every advantage in football does not make the players failures or disgraces.

We might not be THE best side around at the moment, Maguire might not be THE best centre half....but we are a very good side and Maguire is a very good centre half.

Nobody has a God-given right to win anything. The way the game is going, there's a possibility we never win a major trophy again. For most clubs, that's already a reality. You can either spend every minute whining about it, or just enjoy it for what it is.

Personally, I am lucky. I have seen United win every major trophy there is to win, and attended 99% of the home games during our period of dominance between 2005-2010. We're certainly never again going to be able to exert that level of dominance, it's over. Football as we know it/knew it is over. The game now is about who has the biggest resources and spending power. Look at the CL semi-finals last year...three plastic, oil clubs who without their billionaire owners would be lucky to win a pre-season tournament. Wait until Newcastle get going. I made my peace with that a long time ago.

I would suggest there's a few hundred on here need to sit down and reflect - "Am I enjoying this?", "is it healthy to be furious all of the time?", "is it healthy to 'hate' our players?", "is it healthy to want the team to lose so a former player is sacked as manager?", "is it healthy to be triggered by our captain celebrating a goal?".

Just try and enjoy it, its meant to be fun.
Weird post. If it’s about who has the most spending power and resources like you say - why aren’t we still dominating? As we’re using more money than anyone - the crying about how the money the owners make is made doesn’t really work - City aren’t better than us because despite spending almost as much money as us their’s is generated by selling oil. The problem is how we’re spending the money.

United Hobbit

I'm actually really starting to dislike him

I know its not all his fault and he's subject to the inadequate "coaching" and was probably also another player who was rushed back before he was ready after injury but there's just something about him that's really starting to grate on me.

The cringy "apologies" have probably forced me towards dislike there was one recently that really rubbed me up the wrong way, just fecking shut the feck up.

He's often a large factor of us conceding goals, also his heading for our corners, I expected far better, so that annoys me.

Personally, and this isn't just his rubbing me up the wrong way, I'd strip him of the captaincy. He's not leading, he's adding pressure to us on the pitch and he's just very meek out there, I'm also seeing a lack of winning mentality. Controversial choice but I'd make Ronaldo captain, he's a serial winner and is one of the few trying to be a leader and get us going out there.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Player celebrates after scoring a goal. Media and fanbase go into meltdown.
It's because how he celebrated, just man be humble and cheer with your teammates why this fancy celebration who the likes of Pogba will do?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think a lot of players, Maguire included, need to start under a clean slate with a new manager. Some of our players, including Shaw and Bruno as well, look half the player they were last year because of the incompetent coaching.
Who was coaching them last year? Asking for a friend.

Daengophile

I think it was certainly a reaction to weeks of being vilified across all media channels. Maybe a punch in the air would have been more appropriate but he reacted from his heart.

We should be getting behind our captain and not joining this bullshit media bandwagon. Maguire has better days ahead of him - as does United.

Fridge chutney

It's because how he celebrated, just man be humble and cheer with your teammates why this fancy celebration who the likes of Pogba will do?
While i generally agree that humility is a virtue, football is an emotional sport, and one can't always be rational or non-emotional while playing. Maguire has been in arguably the worst form of his life after suffering injuries for the first time in his United career. I have no problem with him getting overly excited, even if he could have celebrated better. Hopefully he brings that confidence back to United because Ole sure has heck ain't dropping him.

Also, i have no problem with the way Pogba celebrates.

NK86

That's just it, they can be angry all you want but being constant angry and depressed about the club all they want, that attitude doesn't win ya titles and trophies, exactly the point the fella said about lowering standards..........actually a daft saying regarding the club, doesn't actually mean anything unless it means crying on the Caf and at Old Trafford is what lowering standards really is regarding being a fan.

We all know why we aren't winning major trophies for nearly a decade and it's not fans screaming for Ole head
But then the guy claims he is fine with us not winning anything ever again since he has seen us win enough trophies. If that's all there is to it, why worry about anything including getting the best players. Why even come on the caf to discuss football if he is enjoying whatever is being served up? If he is so irate, might as well not login or go to those threads.

The guy wants to moan about the people who moan about where our club is currently and is headed. Don't you see the irony in that?

Last edited:

predator

Youth NITK
We came 2nd last year in the toughest league in the world.

You know what the problem is? We have a load of spoilt, nostalgic fans who think just banging on about "high-standards" is enough to win Premier League titles.

Finishing 2nd to a City side who have had £5BN artificially poured in and every advantage in football does not make the players failures or disgraces.

We might not be THE best side around at the moment, Maguire might not be THE best centre half....but we are a very good side and Maguire is a very good centre half.

Nobody has a God-given right to win anything. The way the game is going, there's a possibility we never win a major trophy again. For most clubs, that's already a reality. You can either spend every minute whining about it, or just enjoy it for what it is.

Personally, I am lucky. I have seen United win every major trophy there is to win, and attended 99% of the home games during our period of dominance between 2005-2010. We're certainly never again going to be able to exert that level of dominance, it's over. Football as we know it/knew it is over. The game now is about who has the biggest resources and spending power. Look at the CL semi-finals last year...three plastic, oil clubs who without their billionaire owners would be lucky to win a pre-season tournament. Wait until Newcastle get going. I made my peace with that a long time ago.

I would suggest there's a few hundred on here need to sit down and reflect - "Am I enjoying this?", "is it healthy to be furious all of the time?", "is it healthy to 'hate' our players?", "is it healthy to want the team to lose so a former player is sacked as manager?", "is it healthy to be triggered by our captain celebrating a goal?".

Just try and enjoy it, its meant to be fun.
I agree with quite a lot of your post but one thing I can never get my head around is united fans saying that we don't spend money like the plastic clubs when in reality we do.

We have spent a fortune as well. Were the first english team to break the world transfer record for Pogba and usually break salary records - Ronaldo is on 500k a week or approx 85p a second :lol:

Granted, city have spent a shitload and have recently paid 100m for Grealish but their second most expensive is approx 68m in KDB. When you look at our top 4 most expensive - Pogba 89m / Maguire 80m / Lukaku 75m / Sancho 73m it doesn't really look great for us.

Don't we actually have the highest wage bill in world football, even higher than big NBA, MLB, NFL teams?

It's not the money that is the problem at the club. It's the way it's been run from top to bottom post SAF, followed by disastrous managing and coaching.

Thiagoal

Probably the least likeable captain United have had in my 35 years supporting the club.

Bestietom

Maybe Rodgers can get him back to his best. Some players need a good kick up the backside and I don't think we have the right coaches to do it here now.

Ludens the Red

Spot on, hardly even any 'glory hunters' left in the fanbase after almost a decade of not coming close to challenging for the biggest prizes so it's insulting seeing other fans have a go at others for not being satisfied with having a club structure stuck in the 20th century while still masquerading as a big club in the 21st century as all of our contemporary big clubs have evolved and left us behind.

It's the apologists who make it so that the club never ever feel any real pressure to adapt and evolve because they're willing to lap up and applaud whatever forms of shit we get served up on the pitch, the only major fanbase in the world that does so unconditionally and our owners continuously feck the club over because of that false sense of moral superiority and being somehow better than other fanbases.

It'd be one thing to have that 'its just football, we have no right to win anything' sentiment if the product on the pitch was half decent but the football has been consistently terrible so even the romantics of the sport can't simply enjoy just watching the team like that anymore. Especially while our biggest rivals are playing some of the best and most exciting brands of football in the continent at the same time
Exactly, what irks me so much is it goes against everything this club stands for, everything Sir Alex, Sir Matt lived by. Accepting and doing nothing to alter mediocrity is the total opposite of the United Way.
Mugs on here talking about wanting the club to fail so it loses ‘glory supporters’. How is that anything other than egotistical nonsensical drivel?

Flying high

I rarely comment on these type of issues. But surely you can see that the nature of this celebration shows, quite clearly, that he feels he's been subject to unfair criticism recently. Yet his form has been really really poor. Probably our worst player this season, and that's saying something. So while I try to not read too much into such things, it's difficult not to be left with the feeling that his attitude is wrong. 'All your criticism is wrong because I scored against Albania'.

He's been mostly very good since joining us. But if his form doesn't improve very soon, then he has to be dropped.

captaincantona

I think the issue is this “I watched a TED talk on leadership, social media integrated, public facing I take responsibility bullshit” that is pouring from our squad...with captain Harry at the helm.
Can anyone on here honestly say they felt in any way better about Utd putting in unacceptable performances after Marcus or Bruno graced them with their instagram togetherness tripe. I think Utd are in a league of their own when it comes to this rubbish and it’s nauseating.

Whoever the new manager is should ensure a social media blackout...let the players and the captain do their talking on the pitch and tbh it’s fuking Ole that needs to answer tough questions on why he has a huge fuking squad he doesn’t trust which results in the same 11 being guaranteed a starting spot regardless of the shite they dished up the week before.

Talk is cheap...it’s like that phrase was written for Ole and this bunch bar a handful of lads who just fuking get on with it.

kouroux

I rarely comment on these type of issues. But surely you can see that the nature of this celebration shows, quite clearly, that he feels he's been subject to unfair criticism recently. Yet his form has been really really poor. Probably our worst player this season, and that's saying something. So while I try to not read too much into such things, it's difficult not to be left with the feeling that his attitude is wrong. 'All your criticism is wrong because I scored against Albania'.

He's been mostly very good since joining us. But if his form doesn't improve very soon, then he has to be dropped.
I agree with the idea that he has been shite and needs to be better for people to change their minds about him. Goals vs Albania aren't gonna do shit in this purpose for sure.
I just think players are allowed to have their moments when their score, no matter how ridiculous it turns out to be. It lasts a few seconds anyway. It's been blown out of proportion by a very angry fanbase.
Of all things that are worthy of negative feelings, this just ain't it for me. It's too dumb to take seriously

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Players can celebrate however they want, I really don't care either way. But now he'll have even more people scrutinizing him the next time a mistake from him leads to a goal conceded... And knowing him/United, it'll probably happen in the very next game.

justsomebloke

When a team is down in the dumps such as we are right now, and are gravely underperforming collectively, I don't think it makes sense to evaluate players on what they are currently delivering, if the question is if they should remain with the club or not, and if so in what role.

If a new regime comes in, you have to assume a change for the better. And the key question for each player is then not "how's he doing lately?", but "what is his top level"? Because that represents what the player can potentially provide the new guy with. Then issues like will he be a good fit for the way the new guy wants to play come into the picture.

Just look at Rüdiger in Chelsea. He looked like he was finished in the PL under Lampard, but almost instantly became a major force under Tuchel. So while he maybe ought to sit right now on the strength of recent performances, he is in my opinion an obvious major asset for any new manager.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Is there a fan base more toxic than ours? I doubt it. So much talk over "we need to strip Maguire of the captaincy" as if we are on the pitch. Are the players complaining about him? Not one bit. And that's what matters. Too many people put way too much thought into who is wearing the armband and make judgments based on absolute shite. You know nothing about how good or how bad certain players are as captains. There are a ton of leaders on the field and they all do their part. Has Maguire been in bad form lately? Yes he has. But he is still our best defender (Varrane will likely be our best if he can get a run of fitness). What will it actually accomplish stripping Maguire of the captaincy? Will it be good for him? Give your heads a massive shake and get behind the team. So many agendas in our fan base...

Hughie77

What are you on about? Going into this season people were expecting it to be a four horse race for the league. In the years you described Arsenal won the league once and United won the league the other 3 times, except no one else was expected to challenge. Also United has spent so much money recently and has the 4 of the leagues 6 best paid players so not sure we can say an inability to compete financially is an excuse either.
What are you on about, its City and 1 other team has broken that in the last few years in all comps that's league Cup Fa Cup. And Europe is now starting to go the same way. Its absolutey going that way and it's the fans of the clubs that have the sugar daddy money, never see it at all because they don't want to.
The Premier league is becoming a prosession in who's going to win it. Its either City or Now you can put Chelsea back in it after there usual manager merrygoround which works for that club.
And where would these clubs be if it wasn't for there benefactors. In the same place they were in the 1990s up and down the leagues.
It's well done to the owners who have made them succesfull and it's all about there money . And that's how it's going to be , and other fans from other clubs have to accept that this is how its going to be.
And that is why the ESL will raise its head again in the near future because its a predictable product now the Premier league , Same as the French , the only competing league now is la liga because Real And Barca are skint, Same could be said for the Italian. As well, after World cup I'd say the ESL will be back on the table. And I those years The points difference was what from 1st to second??? Now the league is over with 4 to 5 games left . That's competitive isn't it.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
What are you on about, its City and 1 other team has broken that in the last few years in all comps that's league Cup Fa Cup. And Europe is now starting to go the same way. Its absolutey going that way and it's the fans of the clubs that have the sugar daddy money, never see it at all because they don't want to.
The Premier league is becoming a prosession in who's going to win it. Its either City or Now you can put Chelsea back in it after there usual manager merrygoround which works for that club.
And where would these clubs be if it wasn't for there benefactors. In the same place they were in the 1990s up and down the leagues.
It's well done to the owners who have made them succesfull and it's all about there money . And that's how it's going to be , and other fans from other clubs have to accept that this is how its going to be.
And that is why the ESL will raise its head again in the near future because its a predictable product now the Premier league , Same as the French , the only competing league now is la liga because Real And Barca are skint, Same could be said for the Italian. As well, after World cup I'd say the ESL will be back on the table. And I those years The points difference was what from 1st to second??? Now the league is over with 4 to 5 games left . That's competitive isn't it.
You still haven’t addressed my point. United has the highest wage bill and the financial means to compete regardless of the so called “oil clubs” so there’s no excuse for the front office to not be operating on a optimal level that is commensurate with the financial investment made in the squad. Saying “the other clubs are richer and spend more” removes culpability from the club. Teams like Tottenham or Arsenal can perhaps use money as an excuse but United cannot.

Hughie77

You still haven’t addressed my point. United has the highest wage bill and the financial means to compete regardless of the so called “oil clubs” so there’s no excuse for the front office to not be operating on a optimal level that is commensurate with the financial investment made in the squad. Saying “the other clubs are richer and spend more” removes culpability from the club. Teams like Tottenham or Arsenal can perhaps use money as an excuse but United cannot.
Pointless just don't understand, even if utd are operating on the same level . UTDs money has always been there from there club no matter how the operation is. Take the Owners out of City !!! What do you Get? Take the owner out of Chelski, what do you get ?? PSG , now Newcastle and I really don't give a monkeys what they do with there money. Some teams can afford to pay 3 Managers at a time thats how they operate its the way they operate, even clubs like UTD who have always generated there OWN money, cant afford to pay 3 Managers wages at a time, maybe there operation guy has to do that, as that model works, for some clubs. Some clubs can also gamble on players who are no good! Some clubs just used to buy players to loan out to stop other clubs getting them i can go on and on and on. That's how the operate and will continue to, that's why the ESl will appear. Its the fans of these benefactor clubs who just don't want to see it. Wait for Newcastle to open there purse .. then they will see what coans first ,city or Chelski !!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
"Their"