Maguire needs to be replaced

pixel

We will keep talking about the need to 'replace' players until we realize the problem is not the players but the effing setup. We can put Van Dijk in the team and he would look about as clueless.

bonothom

I guess Roy Keane also needs to give his head a wobble according to your post because he thought the same.
Yep Roy Keane was spot on. The celebration was embarrassing. Its as if the criticism has not been justified. He has been bloody awful since coming back from injury, yet the fingers in the ears seems to suggest he doesn't deserve the criticism.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He is just really unlikable and for me symbolises all that is wrong with the club today.

Mediocre, lacks standards, overlay apologetic, lacks ambition and ultimately forgettable.
Yup agreed. The arsenal poster was spot on comparing him to Xhaka.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We will keep talking about the need to 'replace' players until we realize the problem is not the players but the effing setup. We can put Van Dijk in the team and he would look about as clueless.
Exactly.

One minute saying Ole is the crappest coach. Then talking about how players are in poor form or have even regressed since joining.

Then complaining about Ole using players through injury like Rashford and Varane - Maguire gets effected by it. No one seems to care and its his own fault.

UDontMessWith24

While Maguire was/is vastly overrated and overpriced, he’s not where the outrage should be directed. If Keano wants to speak candidly about the Glazers I’ll tune in, but nobody wants to do that. Not him, not Gary Neville who just seems to enjoy the sound of his own voice, or anyone else.

Hawks2008

Absolutely shameless. What a disgrace this fecking ogre is the captain of the club.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I hope that our next manager would sell him up and bring in a truly top CB instead.

devilish

Am I the only one who thinks our captain should be a "bad boy"?

My test question always is this: "Would Cantona ever do THAT?".

Of course, Maguire did not have the impact Cantona had, I am not comparing the two. But on the other hand, I wouldn't want our captain to be a boy scout that always says and does "the right thing" as the public relations office would want him to.

With that celebration, Maguire shows emotion, shows that he cares, shows that he wants to answer with his performance, shows that he wants to contribute not just get paid. I respect that. It is a good thing in my opinion.
Cantona had something called talent.

Lentwood

It’s almost like we’re a pretty awful United team whose standards should be higher. A lot of those players have failed under multiple managers too.
We came 2nd last year in the toughest league in the world.

You know what the problem is? We have a load of spoilt, nostalgic fans who think just banging on about "high-standards" is enough to win Premier League titles.

Finishing 2nd to a City side who have had £5BN artificially poured in and every advantage in football does not make the players failures or disgraces.

We might not be THE best side around at the moment, Maguire might not be THE best centre half....but we are a very good side and Maguire is a very good centre half.

Nobody has a God-given right to win anything. The way the game is going, there's a possibility we never win a major trophy again. For most clubs, that's already a reality. You can either spend every minute whining about it, or just enjoy it for what it is.

Personally, I am lucky. I have seen United win every major trophy there is to win, and attended 99% of the home games during our period of dominance between 2005-2010. We're certainly never again going to be able to exert that level of dominance, it's over. Football as we know it/knew it is over. The game now is about who has the biggest resources and spending power. Look at the CL semi-finals last year...three plastic, oil clubs who without their billionaire owners would be lucky to win a pre-season tournament. Wait until Newcastle get going. I made my peace with that a long time ago.

I would suggest there's a few hundred on here need to sit down and reflect - "Am I enjoying this?", "is it healthy to be furious all of the time?", "is it healthy to 'hate' our players?", "is it healthy to want the team to lose so a former player is sacked as manager?", "is it healthy to be triggered by our captain celebrating a goal?".

Just try and enjoy it, its meant to be fun.

Its the lack of self awareness for me, god help him if we ship a bunch of goals in the next few games and he's at fault.

Waynne

His celebration looks like the criticism of his poor performances by everyone is getting to him. A captain should be a mentally strong individual. Looks like Ole picked a snowflake

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

You know what the problem is? We have a load of spoilt, nostalgic fans who think just banging on about "high-standards" is enough to win Premier League titles.

Finishing 2nd to a City side who have had £5BN artificially poured in and every advantage in football does not make the players failures or disgraces.

We might not be THE best side around at the moment, Maguire might not be THE best centre half....but we are a very good side and Maguire is a very good centre half.

Nobody has a God-given right to win anything. The way the game is going, there's a possibility we never win a major trophy again. For most clubs, that's already a reality. You can either spend every minute whining about it, or just enjoy it for what it is.

Personally, I am lucky. I have seen United win every major trophy there is to win, and attended 99% of the home games during our period of dominance between 2005-2010. We're certainly never again going to be able to exert that level of dominance, it's over. Football as we know it/knew it is over. The game now is about who has the biggest resources and spending power. Look at the CL semi-finals last year...three plastic, oil clubs who without their billionaire owners would be lucky to win a pre-season tournament. Wait until Newcastle get going. I made my peace with that a long time ago.

I would suggest there's a few hundred on here need to sit down and reflect - "Am I enjoying this?", "is it healthy to be furious all of the time?", "is it healthy to 'hate' our players?", "is it healthy to want the team to lose so a former player is sacked as manager?", "is it healthy to be triggered by our captain celebrating a goal?".

Very good post.

spiriticon

If only Harry could play Albania every week. He'd be breaking out the Nani flip soon enough.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Bizarre celebration - looks like hes feeling the pressure.
Unlike some players he gives 100% though and you cant dislike a guy who does that - its on the manager to drop him till he regains his form.

Flexdegea

Top post.

Expect someone to tell yourself you have lowered standards and that is why the club is in the state it is on the pitch at the moment, because you aren't crying enough and depressed enough and wanting them to lose every match :lol:

ThinkTank@Cafe

Agree with every word.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

This post is a load of nonsense.

Bobade

Spot on, even if I am guilty of some of the behaviour you mention. Great post.

captaincantona

Agree with the mental health advice...thanks for that.

Don’t agree that we are a “very good side” which is what you said, or that the investment made by the oil clubs dwarfs all other clubs so as no one else could be expected to compete. Ajax compete, Liverpool compete, Bayern compete, Barcelona up until recently dominated, Chelsea have had a billionaire owner for years to varied effect.

Utd have invested enough in the team to be in that top tier of clubs and then it should be a dice role from season to season who comes out on top. At the moment, we are nowhere near keeping up with the developments in the modern game and look quite clueless on the pitch. We are a poor EL level side that makes CL cannon fodder look like CL contenders. Fans have a right to be upset by that.

Our football is awful to watch yet We have amazing players. Fans have a right to be upset by that.

That’s not being spoilt. I don’t give a fuk about trophies. Genuinely. If our quality of football improves then trophies and memories will follow. I have supported United for more that 30 years and have never witnessed such a mediocre attitude and performance level. So if I believe the coach is the source of that...surely I can talk about it on a fan forum?

As for Maguire- the guy has been more often then not solid for us littered with moments of madness. A definite improvement on Bailey, Lindelof and Smalling and Jones. He hasn’t been fit lately. Varane will improve him when they get a proper run. I’d lay off him.

Ole'sgunnarwin

I could be wrong but our players seem to be influenced by social media more than any other team. These apologies, celebrations, involvement in politics, the machine behind United etc. Just seems to lose focus on the actual game of football. As good as Ronaldo has been, it's added to this off the field stuff.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

2nd place means feck all to a Manchester United fan.

Yes the problem is our spoiled fans not our incompetent board or clueless manager.

City will be favorites but they are hardly unbeatable .

We are not a very good side and Maguire is not a very good center back.

People find enjoyment in their own way, they don't need top red advice on how to support their team.

Funny that's what people said when the Premier League started and sky's influence on football grew. We also spend a feck ton of money so I'm not sure what your point is in this paragraph. Yes there is more money and competition in the game and that is overall a good thing.

The reason people talk about standards and wanting Ole and Maguire replaced is because it would make them enjoy watching us more. Winning is important in sports.

Agree with your last sentence but it's kinda hard when you're getting stuffed by your biggest rivals at home. Tell us how you had fun while Liverpool were putting five past us?

Paxi

The mentality of United is fecking shit.

We were in awe at Zlatan when he came, and now we’re in awe of Ronaldo in regards to what a winner his is.

Was there not a time where being at United and holding yourself and everyone around you to the highest of standard was the prerequisite?

We now have Harry fecking Maguire giving it the big’un against Albania and I’m not even disrespecting Albania — I’m disrespecting England.

How did that man get into a starting lineup after being at fault for last 10 goals for his club? That’s just fecking mental. You play Italy or Spain and he’s not cupping his ears or whatever — he’s holding a his dick in his hand like a fecking balloon.

This is why United are shit — we let our standards gradually deteriorate after Sir Alex. I’m being captain obvious here but I’m fecking sick of it, and that man being our captain encapsulates everything that is wrong with this club.

We’re rotten to the core.

Lentwood

Our football is awful to watch yet We have amazing players. Fans have a right to be upset by that.
Of course fans have a right to be upset. Of course we want to see the club playing exciting football and winning trophies.

My point is, there are some people on here (same people, over and over again) who come on here and complain constantly about everything. I'm saying to these people if its really that bad, you need to take stock for a second.

When I was 18, Utd losing would ruin my week. I am still a barrel of nerves whilst games are on, but give me 30mins I'll be over it, no matter how bad a result is. It should just be part of growing up, and I repeat my earlier point, football is supposed to be fun.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Varane still looks great player.

Snuffkin

He's too slow, that's the long and short of it. Everything else is ok, great appearance record, bit of a goal threat, good presence. Was never a world class player but we needed some solidity in the back and he delivers that. But he's only going to get slower.

Paxi

Of course fans have a right to be upset. Of course we want to see the club playing exciting football and winning trophies.

My point is, there are some people on here (same people, over and over again) who come on here and complain constantly about everything. I'm saying to these people if its really that bad, you need to take stock for a second.

When I was 18, Utd losing would ruin my week. I am still a barrel of nerves whilst games are on, but give me 30mins I'll be over it, no matter how bad a result is. It should just be part of growing up, and I repeat my earlier point, football is supposed to be fun.
Mate, that’s the way this place or any place have always been. I’ve been frequenting this forum for 15 years now and it’s always something. It’s just now that people actually have a real reason to fecking lose their shit.

humdinger

I'm with Roy on this. Does he think the criticism is unjustified or something? He's been bloody awful, possibly our worst player in our worst period of games in memory, and is the captain. He's deluded.

Castia

Embarrassing that celebration, it almost feels like an attack on the fans

You've been fecking shite Harry, I don't give a shit what you do for England.

Should be dropped from the United team

devilish

Liverpool spend less money then we do and are far more competitive then we are. The problem is indeed standards. We overspend and we're badly managed from top to bottom. We're in such a mess that Klopp had said that he had gone light on us in second half, Pep has cancelled tactical training against us and rival fans are singing Ole at the wheel. Nostalgia is about hiring a manager, first team coaches and a technical director purely on what they did on the pitch. Its not about expecting standards out of a club who spent 415m in three years.
If we have to be lumped with a legend as a manager because of real NOSTALGIA then let's give it to a top legend like Scholes, Keane or Cantona not a former 4th striker whose known for a goal 20 years ago.

Last edited:

devilish

Embarrassing that celebration, it almost feels like an attack on the fans

You've been fecking shite Harry, I don't give a shit what you do for England.

Should be dropped from the United team
Also its against fecking Albania. Italian players watching the game were probably wondering if he wasn't in that team they schooled a few months back in Wembley.

TrueRed79

Maguire is a Grade 1 plonker. Of that there is no doubt. Between his complete lack of personality, to his dumb antics on and off the pitch, i'm really starting to dislike him. You only have to refer to that bizarre incident in Crete to understand his complete lack of common sense. Celebrate scoring against Albania, good for you, but don't stick your fingers in your ears thinking you have silenced your critics. Utter bellend.

lilcurt

Liverpool spend less money then we do and are far more competitive then we are. The problem is indeed standards. We overspend and we're badly managed from top to bottom. We're in such a mess that Klopp had said that he had gone light on us in second half, Pep has cancelled tactical training against us and rival fans are singing Ole at the wheel. Nostalgia is about hiring a manager, first team coaches and a technical director purely on what they did on the pitch. Its not about expecting standards out of a club who spent 415m in three years.
If we have to be lumped with a legend as a manager because of real NOSTALGIA then let's give it to a top legend like Scholes, Keane or Cantona not a former 4th striker whose known for a goal 20 years ago.
The problem is the club started peddling process and needing a rebuild to justify to the fans not chasing instant success. Somewhere down the line the club themselves from playing staff to board also bought into their own message that winning is no longer an expectation, just nice to have.

Making Maguire a club captain, on the back of winning nought and not really being a proven leader of men was stupid.

That and the constant acceptance of 'bad patches' and no need to challenge has really knocked the club back. Maquire is just a player representation of the difference in standards, piss poor. Our Xhaka.

Laurencio

Maguire is a Grade 1 plonker. Of that there is no doubt. Between his complete lack of personality, to his dumb antics on and off the pitch, i'm really starting to dislike him. You only have to refer to that bizarre incident in Crete to understand his complete lack of common sense. Celebrate scoring against Albania, good for you, but don't stick your fingers in your ears thinking you have silenced your critics. Utter bellend.
A united captain thinking a basic performance against the all powerful footballing nation of Albania is something noteworthy is bizarre.
He does not have the required mentality, that has become abundantly clear.