Maguire | NOT McGuire or MacGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Reaper

He would, the same way Maguire was incredibly cheaper last season.
you mean when Maguire was relatively unknown and had not come off the back of a good prem season and a great world cup. He also wasn't playing for a premier league club that had no real need to sell financially, especially after selling one of their stars already this season. He also didn't have a financial powerhouse like United trying to sign him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
you mean when Maguire was relatively unknown and had not come off the back of a good prem season and a great world cup. He also wasn't playing for a premier league club that had no real need to sell financially, especially after selling one of their stars already this season. He also didn't have a financial powerhouse like United trying to sign him.
I don't see the relevance to my post or Cahill's situation when he was bought. What are you arguing about?

Minimalist

Not a big surprise that you don't care about the club having English players...
United should always do their best to get the best British and Irish talents in as they probably won't want to bugger off to Spain later on (amongst many reasons). But beyond quotas we need to maintain, I have no idea why it matters if they're from Manchester, Cork or Glasgow.

Classical Mechanic

United should always do their best to get the best British and Irish talents in as they probably won't want to bugger off to Spain later on (amongst many reasons). But beyond quotas we need to maintain, I have no idea why it matters if they're from Manchester, Cork or Glasgow.
It’s important to have local academy players because they are part of the local community and culture. Manchester United and Manchester City are a massive part of Mancunian life and culture. Lingard and Rashford were brilliant after the bomb visiting victims etc.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ts-on-the-manchester-arena-attack-one-year-on

All football clubs should prioritise an indigenous core. It proves time and time again to contribute to success on the pitch as well.

Minimalist

It’s important to have local academy players because they are part of the local community and culture. Manchester United and Manchester City are a massive part of Mancunian life and culture. Lingard and Rashford were brilliant after the bomb visiting victims etc.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ts-on-the-manchester-arena-attack-one-year-on

All football clubs should prioritise an indigenous core. It proves time and time again to contribute to success on the pitch as well.
I get that. But that's under the category of ideal. Having a British and Irish core is good enough. No point having 4 or 5 lads from Manchester if they're not good enough.

Chairman Woodie

Why is the bid for Maguire only being made days before the transfer window closes?

Leicester will hold United to ransom.

FujiVice

Someone is winding this twat up. He was Leicester City's golden boy last year. Bollocks were they going to let him go for that.

Fridge chutney

Someone is winding this twat up. He was Leicester City's golden boy last year. Bollocks were they going to let him go for that.
That guy is so desperate to be in the know. But he's such a huge plonker it's just sad.

Ekeke

I'm gonna call it here. He'll score from a header on a set piece when we play Leicester having not signed him and lots of posters will be mad. Thats my feeling based on our weakness defending set pieces

Yidarmy

Supports
Tottenham
Why is the bid for Maguire only being made days before the transfer window closes?

Leicester will hold United to ransom.
Or your chairman trying to play games with Levy over Toby. It will not work though, Levy has asked that Martial is included in any deal or no deal and that where it will end if not. Doubt Leicester will sell this late in the window so your options are getting less and less.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Leicester fan here, we're still in the market for a centre back to replace the two we've had leave (Huth and Dragovic). When we sign someone in the next couple of days don't freak out thinking that a deal for Maguire must be happening, because we've needed another CB all summer. We're targeting a young up and coming player to compliment the older ones we have. Just a warning!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Or your chairman trying to play games with Levy over Toby. It will not work though, Levy has asked that Martial is included in any deal or no deal and that where it will end if not. Doubt Leicester will sell this late in the window so your options are getting less and less.
Why would Martial want to join Spurs? He’d be in almost exactly the same position with you as he is with us, playing second fiddle to a better centre forward.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Looks as though we're on the verge of signing two young centre backs. Again, we needed a centre back adding without question, the second one I feel is a security policy just in case we're offered something silly. But we could easily accommodate both in to the squad. We have Maguire, Evans, Morgan and Benalouane currently. Morgan is finished now, his legs are going and Benalouane is a total bomb scare. (Funnily enough both with probably start on Friday). Both of them are also out of contract in the summer and it's unlikely either will be kept, so we're planning ahead.

Both coming in certainly doesn't mean Maguire goes if you know our squad, it just makes a silly bid easier to accept.

Thiagoal

The fact that Leicester are allegedly lining up three CD's makes me believe he will be a United player before the deadline! The thought leaves me very underwhelmed for the prices quoted! Very overrated in my view; would love to be proved wrong though!

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
See my post a few above yours, that isn't necessarily the case at all. We desperately need new CB's. What it does is make a silly offer easier to accept.

Maguire is a very good player, with a more solid structure around him he'll be excellent. Here he was hampered by having Morgan and Chilwell next to him, who are frankly all over the place defensively. We were also very open last season, the midfield (N'didi aside) gave almost no cover.

For England he was hung out to dry a little on the left of the back three position as he's far less mobile than the other two. To get the best form him, he'd have needed to be the central player.

On the ball he's great, as you saw with England, at times he was just about our only attacking threat. He was a bit loose in the early games with his passing, but to his own admission he was nervous and grew into the team.

NoLogo

The fact that Leicester are allegedly lining up three CD's makes me believe he will be a United player before the deadline! The thought leaves me very underwhelmed for the prices quoted! Very overrated in my view; would love to be proved wrong though!
Unfortunately I feel the same. No where near worth 80M+ but today's market is unfortunately insane.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
as if their player of the season, that made the world cup squad, would be allowed to leave for £35m. One for the birds.

Tiber

you would struggle to get a premier league ball boy for that price

NinjaFletch

It's so true. Never ever trust anything SlySports says about transfers. They make millions on transfer betting.

Such a conflict of interest it's sickening.
They don't.

It's a nice theory, and might once have been true, but SkyBet is no longer owned by Sky. Stars Group (Pokerstars etc...) bought SkyBet and simply licence the name from Sky.

Wayne's World

Find it very strange that Leicester are signing two centre-backs just days before the window closes....

I wonder have we made a breakthrough without announcing any details yet

Wayne's World

Isn't Evans injured?
I know but surely one would suffice? They still have Benalouane, Morgan and Fuchs can play there too. Don't think there's a need for 5 centre-backs for a club won't aren't in Europe this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.