Maguire | he stays!

cheekybackheel

My brothers a Spurs season ticket holder and I messaged him last night to say Maguire might be on his way. This was his reply:

"No fekin way!..I'd rather have Chas 'n' Dave at the back than that lamppost..."

Pughnichi

Telegraph today running a story that Spurs hoping the signing of Maguire will encourage Kane to stay…. Ahahahahaa…it’ll push him out the door

UpWithRivers

My brothers a Spurs season ticket holder and I messaged him last night to say Maguire might be on his way. This was his reply:

"No fekin way!..I'd rather have Chas 'n' Dave at the back than that lamppost..."
Well he's an idiot. Maguire would be a good signing for Spurs. Fkn 8th place Spurs who are losing Harry Kane are not exactly attracting the elite. Who are they going to get better than Maguire?

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Forget the memes, he's actually a very good defender when it comes to a 3 man defense with enough pace to cover him. Would suit Spurs perfectly I feel. Good deal for both parties.
This bold part irks me, to many people make this excuses for him, we've had games under Ole were we played Three at the back against Leipzig away and we got hammered, his individual errors cost us that game and last 16 qualification.

daba

Sounds promising but could do with seeing Fred and/or McTominay up for sale, as well as Martial departing, although I think whether Martial leaves depends on who we sign up too.

Kane, he stays as we’d have used our striker budget entirely on one player. Hojlund, we sell Martial and buy another striker.

Robbie Boy

Well he's an idiot. Maguire would be a good signing for Spurs. Fkn 8th place Spurs who are losing Harry Kane are not exactly attracting the elite. Who are they going to get better than Maguire?
That's very kind of you to tell fans of other clubs who they should want to sign. There were Leicester fans on here - yes the relegated team - who as recently as a month ago said they wouldn't want him. He's a meme to the wider football world.

Eric_the_Red99

That's very kind of you to tell fans of other clubs who they should want to sign. There were Leicester fans on here - yes the relegated team - who as recently as a month ago said they wouldn't want him. He's a meme to the wider football world.
‘Wider football world’ ie internet football fans who just repeatedly copy and paste the same unfunny jokes they’ve seen to win internet points, who have a frankly weird obsession with Maguire.

Robbie Boy

‘Wider football world’ ie internet football fans who just repeatedly copy and paste the same unfunny jokes they’ve seen to win internet points, who have a frankly weird obsession with Maguire.
He's still a meme, so it's not really surprising fans of other clubs don't want him. It is what it is.

Robbie Boy

Not really. The internet isn’t the real world
I'm talking in general; I don't know anyone in the real world who has ever said to me that they would love Maguire at their club.

You're taking this very personally. His form has been terrible for a long while now, he's 30, doesn't come across as the most likeable of blokes and will demand a massive contract. I can't really see why any oppo fans would be drooling at the prospect of signing him.

Last edited:

El Jefe

I've struggled to understand the Maguire hate this season especially in the second half. He was relegated to 5th choice and didn't play so much but there was still so much vitriol towards him. If you don't like a player and he barely plays then everyone should be happy but his performance thread was still very active.

The excessive Maguire hate is low hanging fruit for the meme community. He's an average to good PL CB it's not like he's the Weghorst of CB's as people try to make him seem.

In any case I hope he does well wherever he goes next.

UpWithRivers

I never told them who they should want to sign. I said they are idiots and disagree with their point of view. If Leicester fans are rejecting Maguire in the fkn Championship they are even bigger idiots.

Robbie Boy

I never told them who they should want to sign. I said they are idiots and disagree with their point of view. If Leicester fans are rejecting Maguire in the fkn Championship they are even bigger idiots.
I think the point is that he's not going to be a hot commodity for any opposition fans'. He's a very limited player who only fits a very specific system, has been out of form for a long while and has turned 30.

Crimson King

Think he would work well in a back 3 with good WBs. Seems the way to go when they already have people like Porro in the team.

Maguire didn't just suddenly become a bad defender, he's just mostly had to play in teams that exposed his weaknesses. Badly. Then the negative spotlight was on him and he couldn't shake it. That came because he played for United, the media and Twitter trolls wouldn't go in anywhere near as hard if he was playing for someone else. That's why he needs to leave and start again.

Not sure he will end up at Spurs, but if it's choice between him and another young CB punt, it wouldn't be that ridiculous. Rodon and Sanchez have hardly set the world alight.

cheekybackheel

You could easily use the same point for fans who have a weird obsession about Maguire being a top player. The guys mediocre at best and that's coming from a lot of United and Leicester fans.

It's no surprise at all that a lot of Spurs fans, who know they have defensive issues, don't see him as an upgrade. Apart from me, my dad and cousin (Utd supporters) the rest of my family are all Spurs supporters, going back 70 odd years and not single one of them wants Maguire. They just don't rate him. None of them believe he's going to be the rock that gets them top 4 or competing for titles.

Remind me again what United and England won with him in the team? Oh yeah....feck all.

dubplate warrior

This bold part irks me, to many people make this excuses for him, we've had games under Ole were we played Three at the back against Leipzig away and we got hammered, his individual errors cost us that game and last 16 qualification.
Harry Maguire is the only player I've seen play shit for so long, yet still have people telling you he's actually a good player.

It's not just the high line issue, it's the poor positioning, weak mentality, dawdling on the ball slowing every attack down, and constant mistakes. Every time he comes on for united there is a collective sense of fear he'll feck things up and cost us a game.

Eric_the_Red99

You could easily use the same point for fans who have a weird obsession about Maguire being a top player. The guys mediocre at best and that's coming from a lot of United and Leicester fans.

It's no surprise at all that a lot of Spurs fans, who know they have defensive issues, don't see him as an upgrade. Apart from me, my dad and cousin (Utd supporters) the rest of my family are all Spurs supporters, going back 70 odd years and not single one of them wants Maguire. They just don't rate him. None of them believe he's going to be the rock that gets them top 4 or competing for titles.

Remind me again what United and England won with him in the team? Oh yeah....feck all.
Remind me again what Spurs have won with their current defence? Oh yeah…feck all.

foolsgold

As opposed to all the trophies England have won in the last 50 years when he wasn't in the team? He captained England to their first major international final in 50 years, they lost on pens, hardly something you'd hang on the centre half. He captained United to the Europa league final in 2021, again a defeat on penalties.

He's not what we need now, but he has his uses and can make a meaningful contribution at the top level

gajender

As opposed to all the trophies England have won in the last 50 years when he wasn't in the team? He captained England to their first major international final in 50 years, they lost on pens, hardly something you'd hang on the centre half. He captained United to the Europa league final in 2021, again a defeat on penalties.

He's not what we need now, but he has his uses and can make a meaningful contribution at the top level
When did this happen Harry Maguire isn't England Captain it's Harry Kane .

Maguire has never even captained England in a Competitive game if I am not mistaken.

Hammondo

I don't think he's good enough for spurs, he suits a team like West Ham who sit back a lot.

mikeyt

As long as that 'meaningful contribution' is made at another club, crack on!

foolsgold

When did this happen Harry Maguire isn't England Captain it's Harry Kane .

Maguire has never even captained England in a Competitive game if I am not mistaken.
You're right of course, I stand corrected.

Doesn't alter my fundamental point though.

cheekybackheel

Remind me again what Spurs have won with their current defence? Oh yeah…feck all.
I dont give a shite what Spurs have won with their current defence. I was asking what United had won with him in the team and the answer to that is still 'feck all'.
You're suggesting Maguire will be enough of an upgrade to make Spurs competitive and win things because he's a quality player. A lot of people, plenty of Spurs fans included, disagree.

If he's such a good player then why did ETH stick him on the bench most of the year? Why is he happy to offload him now after just one season?

Fans that think Maguire is a quality, world class defender, are the same fans who have settled for mediocrity these past 10 years.

HJ12

Think he improves spurs a lot, look at who they have at the back for them atm.
Agree, he's better than both Dier and Sanchez. This is not as far fetched as people are making it out to be.

Stadjer

Harry Maguire is the only player I've seen play shit for so long, yet still have people telling you he's actually a good player.

It's not just the high line issue, it's the poor positioning, weak mentality, dawdling on the ball slowing every attack down, and constant mistakes. Every time he comes on for united there is a collective sense of fear he'll feck things up and cost us a game.
Fully agree with this. Sure, play him in his own box and he will head some balls away. Put him in his own box and his lack total lack of any form of agility wont show that much.

There are still the other issues you mention. First off all a defender needs to be dependable and Maguire isnt that. There is always a big or small mistake waiting around the corner. It even looks like he makes other player around him nervous and play worse.

Spurs would be insane to sign him if they want to reach top 4. If he wasnt English the narrative of 'he is a good player but playing in the wrong system' wouldnt be a thing. He would just be called a shit player like how he is called a shit player on social media.

Hammondo

Think he improves spurs a lot, look at who they have at the back for them atm.
He's not mobile enough or good enough on the ball for any team who aims to win possession or play attacking football.

BorisManUtd

We have Varane, Lindelof and/or another new player for RCB position. Maguire should go otherwise he'll lose his place in national team and I'm sure he wants to play at Euros and next World Cup.