Television Making a Murderer (Netflix Documentary) - Spoilers from Page 2

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I'm guessing the cat incident and the stuff with his niece?

I'm gonna make a stand and say spoilers are not needed

The cat thing was mentioned in the doc, and obviously there are alarm bells there. What stuff with his niece?

But now what I was alluding to is what Kratz has since come out and said was completely left out of the documentary.

"She was creeped out [by him]," Kratz says by phone, later adding by email: "She [went to her employer and] said she would not go back because she was scared of him."

At 8:12 a.m. on Oct. 31, the day Halbach was killed, Kratz says Avery called AutoTrader magazine and asked them to send "that same girl who was here last time." He says that Avery knew Halbach was leery of him, so he allegedly gave his sister's name and number to "trick" Halbach into coming.

"Phone records show three calls from Avery to Teresa's cell phone on Oct. 31," says Kratz. "One at 2:24 [p.m.], and one at 2:35 – both calls Avery uses the *67 feature so Teresa doesn't know it him...both placed before she arrives.

"Then one last call at 4:35 p.m., without the *67 feature. Avery first believes he can simply say she never showed up…so tries to establish the alibi call after she's already been there, hence the 4:35 call. She will never answer of course, so he doesn't need the *67 feature for that last call."

Ivor Ballokov

Yeah I don't think spoilers are needed at this point surely?

A couple of things about the above. The car that Halbach was going to photograph was owned by Avery's sister which could explain him giving her name, Halbach would have known that they all lived on the same estate anyway.

I think Halbach was due at 2pm meaning Avery calling 2.24 and 2.35 would make sense if she hadn't arrived. Disguising his number may have been something he did a lot, hard to say it's out of the ordinary without more evidence, also if you know someone is likely to be trying to avoid your call, for instance because they're late, hiding your number is a decent tactic to use.

Did he ever deny she turned up? He must have been asked about the calls too. what were his reasons?

VanGaalEra

Finished it. Incredible and disturbing story. Best documentary I've seen.

Going purely on the documentary it really boggles the mind not only that he was found guilty, but especially that Brendan was found guilty. I can only assume these jurors were massively brainwashed by all the media attention at the time. However, I've read stuff on the net and apparently the documentary has left out pretty incriminating evidence, like supposedly Stephen did ring Teresa multiple times that day. Even still, what's the motive? And where the hell is the blood? She was stabbed and mutilated and all they could find was a slab on a bullet? Madness!

I agree with his defense attorney though, I really hope at this stage that he actually is guilty, otherwise it's too messed up to comprehend.
Kratz' press conference nailed Avery's coffin shut. The public had turned and every single person on the jury would have started the trial with that on their minds, some of them probably had it already made up.

What goes around comes around, glad that dick Kratz got his.

Skizzo

The cat thing was mentioned in the doc, and obviously there are alarm bells there. What stuff with his niece?

But now what I was alluding to is what Kratz has since come out and said was completely left out of the documentary.
The cat thing was downplayed in the doc. He apparently doused it in gasoline and tossed it in the fire to burn to death. He apparently had some some of inappropriate contact with his Niece in 2004 (I think) which they said he would have been charged with if he got off on this. Guess they didn't want to drag the niece through it of they didn't have to.

As for the info from Kratz, it doesn't make all that much sense. If she was leery of him to that degree, she wouldn't have gone at all surely? She would have known the address since she's gone there multiple times before, and would have recognized it once she started making her way there.

Plus, when he was first interviewed on the news, before being a suspect of her disappearance, he says she was there taking pictures of the vehicle. Doesn't make sense with what Kratz tries to imply with him "setting up an alibi" since he then admitted seeing her on television before being a suspect and on trial.

Skizzo

Kratz' press conference nailed Avery's coffin shut. The public had turned and every single person on the jury would have started the trial with that on their minds, some of them probably had it already made up.

What goes around comes around, glad that dick Kratz got his.
Bingo. That whole "if you're under 15...." Disclaimer, and some of the inflammatory remarks he made...there was no way he'd get impartial jurors who hadn't let that seep in.

Although the defense said that at the beginning of deliberations, 7 were thinking not guilty, 3 were thinking guilty, and the rest were undecided. Wish we could have seen how those discussions went to turn 9 other people into thinking guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The cat thing was downplayed in the doc. He apparently doused it in gasoline and tossed it in the fire to burn to death. He apparently had some some of inappropriate contact with his Niece in 2004 (I think) which they said he would have been charged with if he got off on this. Guess they didn't want to drag the niece through it of they didn't have to.

As for the info from Kratz, it doesn't make all that much sense. If she was leery of him to that degree, she wouldn't have gone at all surely? She would have known the address since she's gone there multiple times before, and would have recognized it once she started making her way there.

Plus, when he was first interviewed on the news, before being a suspect of her disappearance, he says she was there taking pictures of the vehicle. Doesn't make sense with what Kratz tries to imply with him "setting up an alibi" since he then admitted seeing her on television before being a suspect and on trial.
I've been reading loads about this since I finished watching it. But I can't find anything on his niece. Can you send me the link?

I did see that Brendan mentioned there was some touching. But although wrong and creepy sounded more like when they were play wrestling in their yard.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

They explained the appointment in her sister's name bit by the fact that it was her car that was supposedly going to be photographed.
Regardless, he was a creepy guy by all means, his subsequent interactions with his girlfriends sort of indicate that as well. But there is a huge leap from being a creep to a murderer.

mufcwarm92

Binge watched over 2 days. Absolutely superb. None the wiser about whether or not he did it, but the fact either was found guilty beyond reasonable doubt is an absolute travesty.

Brendan's trial and retrials are beyond bizarre, not a single bit of evidence and a very obvious false statement.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I really want to watch it but there's supposedly some things they left out the documentary which holds me back from watching it. Why watch a documentary when they haven't covered everything? What's the agenda?

Scrumpet

There are no words
I really want to watch it but there's supposedly some things they left out the documentary which holds me back from watching it. Why watch a documentary when they haven't covered everything? What's the agenda?
I don't think I've ever seen a bias-free documentary. I don't see it as a problem so long as you're aware of it.

Skizzo

I've been reading loads about this since I finished watching it. But I can't find anything on his niece. Can you send me the link?

I did see that Brendan mentioned there was some touching. But although wrong and creepy sounded more like when they were play wrestling in their yard.
Wasn't a niece...not sure where I got that from. Anyway, here's a link.

https://m.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurde...ve_averys_2004_alleged_sexual_assault_threat/

Not sure how much of that is concrete, mind.

"Our question going in was never about guilt or innocence or about trying to solve this crime. It was really an exploration into the system"

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Does anyone know if the people who made the documentary are the same people that actually filmed the entire proceedings? Or is it a separate company who bought the recordings etc?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ok so I've just finished the show after starting last night and binging all 10 episodes.

I have one main question really; why the feck wouldn't you just take your own photos of the van for autotrader?

But seriously, there's so much wrong with how these cases were dealt with and the amount of ass-covering going on still now is disgusting.

Her brothers attitude was strange as well, he seemed more concerned with someone going down than it being the right someone. Difficult to really put yourself in the families shoes though.

I reckon the ex-boyfriend killed her.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
@Cina

Oh and I was glad to see Kratz career go up in smoke, hated that slimey prick from the beginning.

Cina

Ok so I've just finished the show after starting last night and binging all 10 episodes.

I have one main question really; why the feck wouldn't you just take your own photos of the van for autotrader?

But seriously, there's so much wrong with how these cases were dealt with and the amount of ass-covering going on still now is disgusting.

Her brothers attitude was strange as well, he seemed more concerned with someone going down than it being the right someone. Difficult to really put yourself in the families shoes though.

At this stage after looking around the net at evidence omitted as well as Avery's past, I do think he killed her, I just don't think he did it on his own property. That's where the big police framing comes into it.

But still, there's no way he should've been convicted off of that evidence.

I think the real sin here is Brendan going to prison.

Cina

Does anyone know if the people who made the documentary are the same people that actually filmed the entire proceedings? Or is it a separate company who bought the recordings etc?
Pretty much everything is recorded in cases/prisons in America, especially high profile ones. That's footage available to anyone who wants it I think. The interviews with the family, lawyers etc. was filmed by the same people over ten years.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
At this stage after looking around the net at evidence omitted as well as Avery's past, I do think he killed her, I just don't think he did it on his own property. That's where the big police framing comes into it.

But still, there's no way he should've been convicted off of that evidence.

I think the real sin here is Brendan going to prison.
I don't really know what to make of Avery at this point to be honest, need to read a bit more around it as I'm sure there was stuff left out and there was definitely a bias to the production.

I agree 100% on Brendan though, he's been failed in a big way by the justice system. Repeatedly.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea

2005, probably didn't have a camera or at least a good one.

Skizzo

I don't really know what to make of Avery at this point to be honest, need to read a bit more around it as I'm sure there was stuff left out and there was definitely a bias to the production.

I agree 100% on Brendan though, he's been failed in a big way by the justice system. Repeatedly.
Reddit has a good source of info for the case, although a majority there seem to be firmly in the "not guilty" camp, so some threads are presented as such.

Part of me at the point feels that it was the right outcome, but not based on the trial that was given. Everyone came out looking like a piece of shit (bar Brendan and the defense attorneys) which is probably what is most infuriating about the documentary. The fact that so many of them were held unaccountable for the shambles...and some even given awards for it.

VanGaalEra

Also, what the Feck was that whole "it would have been easier to kill him as opposed to framing him" statement about.

How unprofessional.

mufcwarm92

I'd echo a few of the things said above - I think there's still a good possibility Avery killed her, but I'm almost certain Lenk planted that key.

Loads of unanswered questions which will hopefully get some coverage over the next few months.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Just finished this and really enjoyed it.

I really didn't like Kratz from the start, and I wasn't a fan of how Teresa's brother went on, but I suppose the family deserves some slack for how they may have acted during that time. And that O'Kelly guy, when he started crying about the ribbon, seemed like a cnut. In fact, the majority of people in this didn't come across too well.

The two defense lawyers were great though, really enjoyed the scenes they were in. Not sure if that was a bias in the documentary or not, but they seemed very good. They made Kratz look like an amateur.

Last edited:

Maxii

Paad
Not going to read the comments, but damn I'm hooked! Need to go to bed but i can't stop watching. Great TV

Cina

Apparently the theme from this is from the same guy who did the OST for The Last Of Us

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Episode 4 is fecked. Poor Brendan. Seems blatantly obvious that they made the kid say everything, which isn't too hard considering he seems like he's almost a special needs child. You can tell he isn't understanding the consequences of everything, telling the cops he has a project due in a few hours, thinking about wrestlemania. It's like he eventually just decided to agree with what they say so he'd get out of there.
And don't even get me started about the kids cnut of a lawyer who tried his hardest to make him guilty.

Also the sheriff saying: "They're free to say what they want. The fact is they have to prove it. And I don't think they could."
What the feck?

Last edited:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I've got two episodes left and I've just read this page of the thread bar the stuff in actual spoilers. Is it worth watching the last two episodes or not?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I've got two episodes left and I've just read this page of the thread bar the stuff in actual spoilers. Is it worth watching the last two episodes or not?
Well I mean you've seen almost the whole season so why wouldn't you finish?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Well I mean you've seen almost the whole season so why wouldn't you finish?
I've just watched the episode where Avery gets convicted and I can guess Brendan will be too so just wondering if anything else really happens in the last two episodes? Two hours is a lot of time.

shabz

I'd echo a few of the things said above - I think there's still a good possibility Avery killed her, but I'm almost certain Lenk planted that key.

Loads of unanswered questions which will hopefully get some coverage over the next few months.
If Avery did kill her, then I assume he would have to move the car as well so how would the police have got the key to the car?

Would Avery have left the key in the car for it to be used against him?

My problem with the case was the length the prosecution and police had to go to in order to put Avery as the killer. The lack of the victims DNA in many of the key pieces of evidence, the amount of time they took over the property for, the periods of time when new evidence was being discovered... If it was Avery then why did they have to basically go out of their way and against proper protocol in order to put him away. The tactics in involving Brendan to make Avery seem even more like a monster, the press conferences, the contaminated bullet, the continued interest of the police department even after they were ordered to stay away it just makes me think that it was all a set up.

$36 million would have ruined the whole judicial system and a lot of careers had Steven won. There was too much on the line.

The big mystery is indeed who killed Teresa Halbach? The inexplicable lack of investigation into immediate family members and close friends and acquaintances is something that will be a big talking point forever in this case. Who was making those phone calls to Teresa? And the deleted messages on the phone? These are the key to solving the case correctly.

If it wasn't the police, then for me the police had to have found the body before hand and the search party was a wild goose chase while they plotted their plan to take down Avery.

Came across this very disturbing blog post as well, worth a read and would love to hear peoples views on this please. Make sure you have seen the documentary though.
http://www.convolutedbrian.com/an-alternative.html

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If Avery did kill her, then I assume he would have to move the car as well so how would the police have got the key to the car?

Would Avery have left the key in the car for it to be used against him?

My problem with the case was the length the prosecution and police had to go to in order to put Avery as the killer. The lack of the victims DNA in many of the key pieces of evidence, the amount of time they took over the property for, the periods of time when new evidence was being discovered... If it was Avery then why did they have to basically go out of their way and against proper protocol in order to put him away. The tactics in involving Brendan to make Avery seem even more like a monster, the press conferences, the contaminated bullet, the continued interest of the police department even after they were ordered to stay away it just makes me think that it was all a set up.

$36 million would have ruined the whole judicial system and a lot of careers had Steven won. There was too much on the line.

The big mystery is indeed who killed Teresa Halbach? The inexplicable lack of investigation into immediate family members and close friends and acquaintances is something that will be a big talking point forever in this case. Who was making those phone calls to Teresa? And the deleted messages on the phone? These are the key to solving the case correctly.

If it wasn't the police, then for me the police had to have found the body before hand and the search party was a wild goose chase while they plotted their plan to take down Avery.

Came across this very disturbing blog post as well, worth a read and would love to hear peoples views on this please. Make sure you have seen the documentary though.
http://www.convolutedbrian.com/an-alternative.html
If you believe the police planted evidence, which I do, then the murder of Theresa Halbach by anybody else other than the police is too convenient for it to be true.

A man they are desperate to take down for many reasons just happened to be the last person that Theresa Halbach was known to have seen before she was randomly murdered? Not having that.

For my money, watching the show and looking into what I could find on the internet, Lenk and and Colburn organised it but didn't get their fingers dirty in the process ie actually murdered her themselves. The brother in law and Brendand brother seemed very dodgy with a very matter of fact alibi that was factually wrong and IMO had a roundabout motive. Get rid of the man who is bringing a lot of negative press to their family in return for a nice backhander.

All this is obviously my own opinion. Not saying its true etc etc

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Half way through ep 7 and holy feck how is it not obvious that Lt. James Lenk & Sgt Andy Colburn are scummy little weasels who framed Steve Avery? I'm fecking fuming here watching it. Hope bout of them die a slow and painful death.

stu_1992

I started this on Friday and I've 3 episodes now. Just started watching it because there was a bit of buzz about it, but wasn't sure what to expect. By the end of the first episode I was sold though. I's pretty gripping to watch, especially the way they end the episodes is perfect for Netflix and not something I would have expected in a documentary. Avoided the spoiler stuff on this page, and can't wait to get through it now.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
I finished watching this in the early hours of the morning and just haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. First off, I've never been so gripped and entertained by any documentary like this in the past. I feel a little guilty making a statement like that, when the thrill essentially comes from seeking the answers to a grisly murder, but I just couldn't stop watching.

If Avery is innocent, I can't imagine how much the sense of injustice must be tearing him apart. I don't think I'd be able to keep functioning in a world, where people that are meant to uphold the law were responsible for dismantling my life on two occasions. The lack of subtlety at the respective involvements of Lenk and Colbert was also startling. The manner in which the key was discovered was almost comical. Like something out of a child's detective novel. Not to mention Colbert only filing a report on the insight he picked up from another detective, regarding Avery's wrongful first conviction, the day after he was released. I can't fathom how the information the defense presented, which poked holes in so many of the prosecutions arguments, and showed how the police could easily have been fuelled by their own agenda, cannot be considered as 'reasonable doubt' by the jurors. The stakes were so high for the state, that he just seemed doomed from the offset.

I know the legitimacy of the jury system has been spoken about at great length in the past, but in a high-profile case like this, there's just no way they could have gone in with an open mind. Particularly after the manner in which the prosecution presented Brendan's 'revelations'. Also, what I've always found fascinating, is that if you put a group of people in a room and ask them to discuss something, it doesn't take long for the more dominant, or naturally charismatic individuals to seize control. You see this play out in friendship groups, job assessment centre's and countless other scenarios. All it takes, is such an individual to impose his opinion on those that are more partial to being told what to think and suddenly you have at least one individual who relinquishes his or her capacity to examine the facts of the case by themselves.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I'm finding this genuinely hard to watch. Is it quite as despairing for the whole ten episodes? Episode Four, where they're focusing on how Brendan's testimony was completely forced into him and fabricated his heart-breaking, I might just prefer to read the articles if I have to watch six more hours of this.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
yeah it's fantastic, I'm three episodes in.

It's better than The Jinx I think. An even crazier story and with far more footage and coverage to go along with it.
Cina we usually have similar tastes, does this hold up over the ten episodes? (don't want to read the thread too much in case I see spoilers) I'm halfway through episode 1 and enjoying it a lot, but I'm wondering how they could make it last over 10 episodes (yeah I know "your wife lol")

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Cina we usually have similar tastes, does this hold up over the ten episodes? (don't want to read the thread too much in case I see spoilers) I'm halfway through episode 1 and enjoying it a lot, but I'm wondering how they could make it last over 10 episodes (yeah I know "your wife lol")
Yes - watch it all.