Malcolm Glazer dies aged 85

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I was actually OK with their Moyes Out banner, but these tweets are a new class of cnutiness from RI. Embarrassing and petulant.
Members of RI forums put up the banner, not fanzine. I believe they have nothing in common -- well, at least with those who are running them.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The PLC sold the club to the Glazers... The question is how would you judge the performance of the Glazers? Personally I'm frustrated that the Glazers put the debt back in the club. On the other hand, the Glazers have also been extremely succesful in generating revenue and have managed the debt sensibly. We're still a very financially healthy football club.
a fair post, and kind of my thoughts, i hate that the glazers for putting that amount of debt in the clubs name and will never for give them for risking our club like that, even if it currently seems that thier gamble may pay off in the long run. but i agree they have been very successful in expanding united as a business.

but anyway i guess you win the argument by default as keaneroy seems to have been banned

bishblaize

Is it true that Malcolm Glazer was popular with Tampa fans?

Read that today in one of the papers.

nemanja nemagic

With Glazer's death, some fans are disentangling their feelings for the club from their general life attitudes when it comes to business. So you have some praising Glazer for making so much money, citing his achievements as aspirational - and others who are obviously against the selfish nature of big business, taking and not giving back to the world in some way. I myself fall into the latter camp.

In terms of hating the game instead of the player; I don't understand that argument. It's like hating a cause over a symptom. There's nothing that really could've been done to stop the root of this (the club becoming a PLC); and yes people can call anti-Glazer sentiment naive as a take-over like this was inevitable. It doesn't mean that fans should lie down and accept it when it actually happens.

nemanja nemagic

Is it true that Malcolm Glazer was popular with Tampa fans?

Read that today in one of the papers.
Association Football in England is incomparable to the attitude of American Sports fans and their relationship with respective clubs, in every dimension you can conceive of. So it would not shock me

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Those RedIssue tweets are spectacularly retarded and show up the authors for the childish feckwits that they are.

Adebesi

Things were never as bad as I expected them to be under Uncle Malc.

Neither do I credit him with much that has gone right since the takeover, but its hard to know for sure without a team machine and a glimpse at alternative realities.

Last season and the one coming are the biggest challenges the Glazer family have faced since their arrival, so in a few years we may have a better idea of how committed they are to our success.

Player Red

Red Issue - clearly run by people with the brain of a 13 year old and the IQ of a brick.

SirAF

Ageist
What, I think, really will define the Glazer ownership is what happens when we are debt free. It is obvious that they are and have been running an extremely tight operation and that we are going to, at some point in the not too distant future, be debt free.

The question is what option they'll choose by then:

- Keep the club, re-invest most of the revenue (while taking out a reasonable dividend)

- Sell it for a massive profit

- Take up another mortage on it

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
a fair post, and kind of my thoughts, i hate that the glazers for putting that amount of debt in the clubs name and will never for give them for risking our club like that, even if it currently seems that thier gamble may pay off in the long run. but i agree they have been very successful in expanding united as a business.

but anyway i guess you win the argument by default as keaneroy seems to have been banned
For me it's not as much as winning an argument on the Caf that matters, it's about pointing out the facts from the fiction. What anybody thinks of the Glazers is their business, as long as I don't get tainted with remarks such as "deplorable for defending the Glazers". I'm not defending anybody, just pointing out the facts. Let the fans of our club make opinions based upon on facts and not based upon some emotional bullshit.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The pontification in this thread is something to behold. It surely can't come as a surprise to those 'outraged' that the Glazers are highly controversial figures. I've stood in masses of people - literally thousands - singing the "Glazer's gonna die" chant walking down Sir Matt Busby Way before games. Emotions run extremely high when it comes to this family.

This reaction was always on the cards and I'm curious why our moral guardians are so wound-up over it.
It's not a suprise and I'm not wound up either, but I've never sung the jelly and ice cream song and always found it a bit stupid because I don't understand what there is to celebrate anyway - his death changes nothing for the fans or the club

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Several Tampa-based journalists refuse to discuss the Glazers when tackled on them.

Make of that what you wish.
The Glazers did go in and re vamp the whole team;it was one of the worst in the NFL and the new outfit went and won the Superbowl but not after they controversially sacked HC Tony Dungy who was extremely popular.

The unpopularity always stems when teams aren't seemingly in contention to win things. In American sports franchises at that level just keeping your head above water and surviving isn't enough..it's about having the ambition to actually win the Superbowl, World Series, Stanley Cup etc

redfan

It's not the colour of your shirt that counts, it'
Can't say I'm that bothered and in a small way he helped me move away from the greed that football (at the highest level) has become, it is sad for his family but they will get over it and I will move on with FC United, out of respect for the dead I will not give any abuse but I'm not going to shed any tears.

Drummer

I try and base my opinions objectively on the facts without the influence of emotion.

They've invested large sums of money both in players and in the clubs infrastructure. This combined with unprecedented succes both on & off the pitch. Sure, one of the regrettable drawbacks of the Glazer's business model has been the costs to service the debt, however manageable it may or may not be. (Something that has not gone unnoticed by the Glazers judging by their efforts to decrease costs of servicing the debt. After all, the Glazers themselves have an interest in reducing these costs, ideally to zero.) But the doom scenario as predicted by many has so far failed to materialise.
The only reason armageddon failed to materialise is because we have had the greatest manager of all time at the helm... When will you glazer apologists get this into your head...

The success was in spite of their ownership not because of it....

Rams

What, I think, really will define the Glazer ownership is what happens when we are debt free. It is obvious that they are and have been running an extremely tight operation and that we are going to, at some point in the not too distant future, be debt free.

The question is what option they'll choose by then:

- Keep the club, re-invest most of the revenue (while taking out a reasonable dividend)

- Sell it for a massive profit

- Take up another mortage on it
If the Glazers are to be believed then they have stated they're here for the long term. So based upon that it'll be "Keep the club, re-invest most of the revenue (while taking out a 'reasonable' dividend)". On the other hand, nothing last for ever and there is the question of whether the Glazer family as a whole will retain their harmony. If not, what will happen then?

Rams

The only reason armageddon failed to materialise is because we have had the greatest manager of all time at the helm... When will you glazer apologists get this into your head...

The success was in spite of their ownership not because of it....
On what basis do you make this assumption? What role did Fergie play in obtaining record increases in revenue?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
On what basis do you make this assumption? What role did Fergie play in obtaining record increases in revenue?
He won 6 Pl and 1 Cl, which brought sponsors.

SirAF

Ageist
If the Glazers are to be believed then they have stated they're here for the long term. So based upon that it'll be "Keep the club, re-invest most of the revenue (while taking out a 'reasonable' dividend)". On the other hand, nothing last for ever and there is the question of whether the Glazer family as a whole will retain their harmony. If not, what will happen then?
Yes, it could really go both ways. If they want to keep us long term and re-invest, then we'll be in an amazing position financially. On the other hand, we could find ourselves in turmoil. We'll see!

Rams

He won 6 Pl and 1 Cl, which brought sponsors.
Undoubtedly the succes on the pitch would help attracting sponsorship. But is that the only reason? And what role did the Glazers play in allowing succes to happen on the pitch?

SammyUnited_83

With Glazer's death, some fans are disentangling their feelings for the club from their general life attitudes when it comes to business. So you have some praising Glazer for making so much money, citing his achievements as aspirational - and others who are obviously against the selfish nature of big business, taking and not giving back to the world in some way. I myself fall into the latter camp.

In terms of hating the game instead of the player; I don't understand that argument. It's like hating a cause over a symptom. There's nothing that really could've been done to stop the root of this (the club becoming a PLC); and yes people can call anti-Glazer sentiment naive as a take-over like this was inevitable. It doesn't mean that fans should lie down and accept it when it actually happens.
That's fine and you make a great point.

There is nothing wrong with being anti-anything (in this case the Glazers) and I don't think that fans should lie down.

But I think it's a little bit short sighted just blaming the Glazers and they get a lot of personal abuse for making what now appears to be a highly astute business decision. Again, they didn't kill anyone or break any laws in acquiring the club - and perhaps as a group of fans we should be more disgusted / angry towards the establishments that allowed the club to be sold in such a way.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Undoubtedly the succes on the pitch would help attracting sponsorship. But is that the only reason? And what role did the Glazers play in allowing succes to happen on the pitch?
No, it's not you still need someone to optimize your marketability.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

psychdelicblues

The 4 years before the Glazers were our worst in the Prem era. And as anyone who has looked at the accounts knows, things weren't looking too rosy for the PLC going forward. Added to that, if Malcolm hadn't bought out Magnier and McManus, SAF would probably have been out. So you could argue that the Glazers gave us the revenues to compete with the sugar daddy clubs and ensured that we had a manager who could do it. Or you could ignore all that and invent your own history.
1.What about the 9 years before they took over? Or does that not count?

2. Isn't that the minimum you expect from owners or are your expectations so low that fans should be just grateful for for the Glazers for using some of the clubs money built on the back of Fergies brillance to re-invest in the squad.

Since the Glazers took over not only have we endured our most successful period in the club's history on the pitch, we also have an annual turnover which is greater than both those clubs put together. Go figure.
United were just as successful trophy wise and was not in 100's of million pounds in debt, before they came along.

It appears fans should bend down take it and enjoy it.....apparently.

Plugsy

It all seems very Ukippy to me. I hate the Glazers/immigrants because Duncan/Nigel told me to. Delete as appropriate.

There are upsides and downsides to the Glazer ownership (and immigration for that matter) but I can't help but feeling the most vocal opponents are simply following someone else's talking points.

Debt bad
Increased revenue and investment good

The PLC's record was arguably opposite. In the 13 years of the PL era before Glazer came along only 4 seasons saw significant investment and even giving existing players new contracts was as difficult as pulling your own tooth without novocaine. Yet people gloss over that by somehow painting the reality that we signed a Veron or a Ferdinand every year.

The Glazer ownership has never been ideal but it's been better equipped to meet the challenges of the sugar daddy era than the PLC would have been (see Arsenal), it's preferable than being owned by Rupert Murdoch and it's better than having an egotistical owner who wants to shape the whole club in his own image.

I see people benign to the takeover acknowledge the problem with the debt but never see anyone aggressively against it ever show they're listening to counter arguments. Instead it just essentially boils down to "so you think debt is good?" and it's just someone else's talking points, which is a bit UKIP/Fox News supporter. It's like some people are afraid of being emasculated if they see the other sides point of view so what is a rather boring issue of club finance gets turned into some kind of tribal rivalry

nemanja nemagic

That's fine and you make a great point.

There is nothing wrong with being anti-anything (in this case the Glazers) and I don't think that fans should lie down.

But I think it's a little bit short sighted just blaming the Glazers and they get a lot of personal abuse for making what now appears to be a highly astute business decision. Again, they didn't kill anyone or break any laws in acquiring the club - and perhaps as a group of fans we should be more disgusted / angry towards the establishments that allowed the club to be sold in such a way.
That's the crux of it. Business and Football. At the highest level of the sport the two are synonymous and have been for a long time. Of course the Glazers are going to be figureheads, the tip of the iceberg and scapegoat for this entire culture that has emerged. I agree completely with you that the level of personal insults from some fans is despicable and obviously the mechanics were in place before they came along. But they should never be absolved of all blame just because they are a smaller part of the big picture. They should still be reviled by fans of Manchester United.

You might call me retrogressive and idealistic, as football is completely different to what it was before the advent of sky and the flood of money. Doesn't mean that the change shouldn't rankle

A1X

I think the Red Issue Twitter feed, and several of the posts in here, are nothing short of despicable. Whatever you may think of the way he and his family have run what is nothing more than a business, he was still a fellow human being and his family are mourning just as yours or mine would be. Real people with real emotions.

Some people need to get a sense of perspective.

Bojan11

I think the Red Issue Twitter feed, and several of the posts in here, are nothing short of despicable. Whatever you may think of the way he and his family have run what is nothing more than a business, he was still a fellow human being and his family are mourning just as yours or mine would be. Real people with real emotions.

Exactly. You got nothing nice to say it then don't say it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Yeah reading the thread here made me look on the RI twitter and it all just seems very disrespectful and full of hate. Not saying people have to love or respect the man, or even be overly sad he's not around anymore but some of the jokes were fairly horrible.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It all seems very Ukippy to me. I hate the Glazers/immigrants because Duncan/Nigel told me to. Delete as appropriate.

There are upsides and downsides to the Glazer ownership (and immigration for that matter) but I can't help but feeling the most vocal opponents are simply following someone else's talking points.

Debt bad
Increased revenue and investment good

The PLC's record was arguably opposite. In the 13 years of the PL era before Glazer came along only 4 seasons saw significant investment and even giving existing players new contracts was as difficult as pulling your own tooth without novocaine. Yet people gloss over that by somehow painting the reality that we signed a Veron or a Ferdinand every year.

The Glazer ownership has never been ideal but it's been better equipped to meet the challenges of the sugar daddy era than the PLC would have been (see Arsenal), it's preferable than being owned by Rupert Murdoch and it's better than having an egotistical owner who wants to shape the whole club in his own image.
That's really lazy logic. You're comparing two distinct eras. The expansion of OT and the massive increase in income through various new media channels means that the Glazers were lucky enough to be in charge at a time when the opportunities to generate income were at an all time high. As people keep pointing out, we've absolutely no way of knowing what happens in a parallel universe where a PLC is the beneficiary of this windfall and the only outgoings are dividends which are a fraction of the money spent on paying off debt post-Glazer. There's a very good chance we would have seen more on-field success and/or less money screwed out of match-going fans.

Empire

Yes you are reading way too much into it and, last time I checked, he can say as he pleases in public too. And I'd say that in situations like this honest opinions, if asked for and respectfully given in response, are the way to go.
The vice chairman who is speaking on behalf of an organisation cannot say what he pleases, he represents that organisation. In response to a man's death no comment would suffice.

SammyUnited_83

That's the crux of it. Business and Football. At the highest level of the sport the two are synonymous and have been for a long time. Of course the Glazers are going to be figureheads, the tip of the iceberg and scapegoat for this entire culture that has emerged. I agree completely with you that the level of personal insults from some fans is despicable and obviously the mechanics were in place before they came along. But they should never be absolved of all blame just because they are a smaller part of the big picture. They should still be reviled by fans of Manchester United.

You might call me retrogressive and idealistic, as football is completely different to what it was before the advent of sky and the flood of money. Doesn't mean that the change shouldn't rankle
Exactly, I completely agree. However, they always do seem to be the ones that take all the blame. The system that was in place that allowed them to buy the club was completely and utterly flawed and that's my main gripe - whether it was the Glazers, a Sheikh or Sir Alex himself, it should never have happened.