Malcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Is it me or only left footed players are actually scrutinized when it comes to the foot they use? Most players will use the same foot 9 out of 10 times.

(I made up the stat to make a point)
Because left footers have this tendency to be weaker with their secondary foot than right footers, but equally tend to make things look sublime with their left, there's something majestic about a pure lefty, I don't know why.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hes not slow but has not Salah level of pace.
Is a player suited to heavy possession/attacking football, to be close to the adversary box all the time.
I dont think would be the best option for United considering our style and tactics.
He should play in Spain or Germany.

Another thing is, only selling clubs should be obsessed with buying U-21.
We want players to win titles, not to sell them in the future.
We should be looking for the Salahs of life, in the middle of their 20s, with experience and close to their peak.
Malcom never played a single game for the adult nt for example.

Most important: i dont know if those rumours are legit but, he has nothing to do with the way we play.
Only selling clubs? That's what we did under Fergies time, or have you forgotten? United have always bought promising young players who are ready to play and turned them into stars. I'd much rather that then wait another season for him to be worth 100m and lose him to barca/madrid/psg or city now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Because left footers have this tendency to be weaker with their secondary foot than right footers, but equally tend to make things look sublime with their left, there's something majestic about a pure lefty, I don't know why.
Agree, that Jeremy Corbyn does have something;)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's because they're such a rarity I think.

Anyway JP, seeing as the comparisons have come up. How does he compare with Memphis in Ligue 1?
From what I can tell and that's not much. Malcom creates chances while Memphis is at the end of them but I wouldn't consider that Malcom is a creator either, to me he is to some extent a polished version of Memphis.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Do we really want another Martial, someone who is so inconsistent and can only muster 1 good in every 5?

I would prefer Mahrez, a proven PL player who can make a consistent contribution in all aspect of our attacking play.

Inigo Montoya

From what I can tell and that's not much. Malcom creates chances while Memphis is at the end of them but I wouldn't consider that Malcom is a creator either, to me he is to some extent a polished version of Memphis.
Cheers. Always felt Memphis was a talent waiting to shine. Shame it didn't happen here

Inigo Montoya

Do we really want another Martial, someone who is so inconsistent and can only muster 1 good in every 5?

I would prefer Mahrez, a proven PL player who can make a consistent contribution in all aspect of our attacking play.
Yes:D

MadMike

Is it me or only left footed players are actually scrutinized when it comes to the foot they use? Most players will use the same foot 9 out of 10 times.

(I made up the stat to make a point)
I think it's you. It's got nothing to do with being predominantly left or right footed. Players that are very one-footed do that that weird thing where if the ball is on the wrong foot and they only have to complete a simple 5m pass, they will use the outside of their good foot instead of the inside of their bad foot.

Valencia for example has been called out many times down the years for being extremely right footed. I remember jokes "Q: Why does Valencia drive an automatic? A: Because he doesn't trust his left foot to step on the clutch pedal"

So no, I don't agree with there being a bias against left footed players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is the base of that affirmation, most right footers are absolutely rubbish with their left foot. The reality is that only players that you would consider good to very good technicians are good with both feet and even then, most aren't, they have a serviceable left foot that they try to use as little as possible.

izec

Malcom is much cheaper

luke511

I remember when we signed Martial and everyone was complaining about how he looked in the scout nation compilation.

Devil may care

What is the base of that affirmation, most right footers are absolutely rubbish with their left foot. The reality is that only players that you would consider good to very good technicians are good with both feet and even then, most aren't, they have a serviceable left foot that they try to use as little as possible.
Just the base of eyes from watching football for 30 years, left footers make things look stylish but tend to be useless with their right, where the right footers are not as one footed, I really don't know why, it's my perception from years of viewing.

Charles Miller

Yes, even to cross Malcom cuts back inside to use his strong foot, he doesn't seem to have much confidence on his right, you need to be Robben good to not get snuffed out when you are so one dimensional IMO. Pulisic isn't a pure RW but he can play there or off the LW or as a #10, his work ethic and skill combined with acceleration just make him a much more varied attacker and I don't think we should be looking for a pure winger personally.
Watching him since the U-17 and knowing his personality i really doubt he will go to some club to provide crosses..is not that kind of player.
I'm pretty sure he would rather to shot and try to score than cross.
And i dont think he will accept to sign to be a rotation player too
We should look elsewhere, hes not a Mourinho player.
He will not be in the defense all the time, hes an attacking minded player.

United Pro

Yes, even to cross Malcom cuts back inside to use his strong foot, he doesn't seem to have much confidence on his right, you need to be Robben good to not get snuffed out when you are so one dimensional IMO. Pulisic isn't a pure RW but he can play there or off the LW or as a #10, his work ethic and skill combined with acceleration just make him a much more varied attacker and I don't think we should be looking for a pure winger personally.
Yeah that's true. But saying that, being able to cross with his weaker foot is something he can train. Notice how in the last 2 seasons Valencia has used his left foot a lot more. Also, with a proper overlapping right back, his reliance on cutting in won't be as big a problem. I also really like Pulisic, but just not as an out and out right winger (which we really need).
Watching him since the U-17 and knowing his personality i really doubt he will go to some club to provide crosses..is not that kind of player.
I'm pretty sure he would rather to shot and try to score than cross.
And i dont think he will accept to sign to be a rotation player too
We should look elsewhere, hes not a Mourinho player.
He will not be in the defense all the time, hes an attacking minded player.
Martial was also a very offensive player, but he's performed very well this season, so I don't see the whole narrative that Mourinho only wants defensive minded wingers as a problem.

Devil may care

Yeah that's true. But saying that, being able to cross with his weaker foot is something he can train. Notice how in the last 2 seasons Valencia has used his left foot a lot more. Also, with a proper overlapping right back, his reliance on cutting in won't be as big a problem. I also really like Pulisic, but just not as an out and out right winger (which we really need).
Well Malcom isn't an out and out right winger either and I personally don't want to see us sign an old fashioned type of winger, that role is for the fullbacks now, get on the overlap for the crossing and use the wide right and left players as inside forwards, which Pulisic and Malcom both are.

United Pro

Well Malcom isn't an out and out right winger either and I personally don't want to see us sign an old fashioned type of winger, that role is for the fullbacks now, get on the overlap for the crossing and use the wide right and left players as inside forwards, which Pulisic and Malcom both are.
I know Pulisic does occasionally play on the right as Philipp and Reus (when fit) are preferred on the left, but I feel like he's more limited playing there. In that sense, Malcom is more of an out and out right winger and at the very least is more of a goal threat cutting in and shooting. If we bought Pulisic to play on the right, we'd have similar problems to when Miki plays there, as we'd be reliant on the right back to get forward to cause a threat on that side. That's not necessarily the case with Malcom. Also, there's no guarantee we'll even sign a new offensive minded right back.

deafepl

Malcom could be great player for us when we struggle against a team that park the bus, he has the ability to unlock the defence and can score a goal from the outbox. Arsenal, City and Liverpool do that, they committed many shots from long range and we don't have kind of player like that except Pogba and perhaps Young. Just need more attacking dimension in games

Devil may care

I know Pulisic does occasionally play on the right as Philipp and Reus (when fit) are preferred on the left, but I feel like he's more limited playing there. In that sense, Malcom is more of an out and out right winger and at the very least is more of a goal threat cutting in and shooting. If we bought Pulisic to play on the right, we'd have similar problems to when Miki plays there, as we'd be reliant on the right back to get forward to cause a threat on that side. That's not necessarily the case with Malcom. Also, there's no guarantee we'll even sign a new offensive minded right back.
I have been impressed with Pulisic on either side of the attack, he's very two footed so unlike Malcom he can cut in from either side and link, or go on the oustide and cross if required, Malcom isn't going to offer us anything Pulisic can't and will be as relaint on an attacking RB to help him with width, even more so as he can barely use his right foot. I think Jose is planning to use attacking fullbacks as he's used Young and Valencia as first choice as opposed to more defensive options like Blind and Darmian.

United Pro

I have been impressed with Pulisic on either side of the attack, he's very two footed so unlike Malcom he can cut in from either side and link, or go on the oustide and cross if required, Malcom isn't going to offer us anything Pulisic can't and will be as relaint on an attacking RB to help him with width, even more so as he can barely use his right foot. I think Jose is planning to use attacking fullbacks as he's used Young and Valencia as first choice as opposed to more defensive options like Blind and Darmian.
I agree with you and I prefer Pulisic over Malcom overall as a player as well. But I'm thinking very specifically as a right winger and I think Malcom is more direct and more of a goal threat compared to Pulisic. If we bought Pulisic to play on the right, I reckon we'd have similar problems as to when Miki plays there.

RedStarUnited

What a scandolous post. Martial has the same output as Mahrez this season and you call one a consistent contributer and the other not.

Jacci

I think he’s Mourinho player if I ever saw one. Very direct and seems to have a cross in him. Obv Pulisic is the better talent but imo I think Mourinho would prefer Malcom over him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tbh, unless we learn to play quicker as a unit - it won’t make a difference whether we bring in Malcom, Sterling or Sane. We play way too slowly to get our wingers isolated against full-backs. Our central midfield is generally all done at walking pace, and transition is sluggish.

Devil may care

Tbh, unless we learn to play quicker as a unit - it won’t make a difference whether we bring in Malcom, Sterling or Sane. We play way too slowly to get our wingers isolated against full-backs. Our central midfield is generally all done at walking pace, and transition is sluggish.
Yeah, we need another progressive passer centrally as if Pogba isn't on the ball everyone else tends to go sideways, Matic stepped up yesterday and I'd like to see him taking on more playmaking as he has the passing for it.

Ephrem

Very good point. Thats why we are not seeing the best of Martial

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What a scandolous post. Martial has the same output as Mahrez this season and you call one a consistent contributer and the other not.
Martial has 9 goals and 5 assists in 1066 minutes according to who scored, mahrez has 6 goals 4 assists in 1440 minutes. Pretty clear who is anti martial, since nobody can say anything about his productivity this season, as it's been excellent this season.

The Mad Manc

Excited about the prospect of having a player suited to RW as we desperately need one, but not sure another guy that has to cut back onto his stronger foot to deliver a cross is what we need. It always slows the play down and allows the oppo defence more time to get set. Lukaku has shown he is very good at heading the ball. If we can get someone that can get to the byline and consistently deliver quality crosses Lukaku will bury them. Getting crosses in early is key to increasing that output.

Status
Not open for further replies.