"Mame's been brilliant"

Eriku

Translated freely from all of its inferior Noggy glory: http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/12/11/sport/fotball/premier_league/manchester_united/mame_biram_diouf/9471410/

Just after the Senegalese attacker had finished his Molde career in a defeat against the county rivals Molde in the final, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told Dagbladet, "The boy has incredible potential. He will develop quite well once he gets together with the other lads in Manchester"

About a month later the 21 year old (he turns 22 on wednesday) has impressed more people than Solskjaer during his training at Manchester United, including those who have the final say in most of the club's issues, The club's mighty man and manager, Sir Alex Ferguson. Ferguson told TV2 Sport:

"He's been brilliant, it's looking very promising. We're going to apply for his work permit in January"

The transfer from Molde to United was a bombshell to football Norway, which was in its mid-summer vacation in July, and Diouf himself was finding it hard to believe what advisor Jim Solbakken was saying when he told him that the contract was done-and-dusted, and just waiting for his signature.

Still, not many thought that he would arrive from the Norwegian Tippeliga ready to compete for a first-team spot right from the off. But if one interpretes Ferguson's statements, it seems that a loan to a smaller club is less likely than what was first assumed, seeing as United are eager to sort out his work permit.

The Scot has also heavily implied that Diouf will be allowed to develop within the high fences of the Carrington facilities. Ferguson said:

"It's things like these we're good at here, letting young players develop within the club. And at an age of 21 he's looking very good.

Mainoldo

So is he just hinting that we are looking to develop him and sell him for a profit or what??

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Be interesting to see how it all works out with him, Kiko, and Welbeck competing for a place. A good problem to have.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Exciting times. He's got the physical attributes, that's for certain. He's strong, very fast and his spring is just salmon like. Oh, and he's got great nails as well.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
The old work permit, eh?

I fecking hope we make more than a tentative enquiry this time.

Seeing as he cost us feck all, I'm not too worried.
£5m wasn't it? That's almost an Evra. From the boutique of absolute steals.

Eriku

Glad to read these comments, though I'm not sure I'd expect him to be that effective from the start, seeing as I have seen games where he's been kept relatively quiet in Tippeligaen... Then again, my watching of Tippeligaen is erratic, so someone may have a go at me for that.

Not too worried about THAT side of our game right now, though, tbh... Obertan showing great promise, and an insane chunk of defensive injuries makes this report less important to me, sadly :\

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
The Times have Ferguson's quotes on their piece about Ferguson saying we've got money to spend but only if he see's value.

“Take, for example, this young lad Diouf, who has been training with us and been absolutely brilliant,” Ferguson said. “He’s looking very exciting."

“We’re going to apply for a work permit in January. That’s the kind of deal we’re looking at and it’s the kind of situation we are good at, signing young players who can develop at the club.”

Name Changed

weso26
Just checked, according to Wiki he has one international cap. It'll be hard to argue that he is a "special talent" because he has only started playing for his country and he came from the Norwegian league. Hopefully I am wrong, but it looks like it could be a tough one.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Glad to read these comments, though I'm not sure I'd expect him to be that effective from the start, seeing as I have seen games where he's been kept relatively quiet in Tippeligaen... Then again, my watching of Tippeligaen is erratic, so someone may have a go at me for that.
He played wide quite a lot last season and he's not really a winger, so it's hardly surprising that he was a bit inconsistent. But centrally he was great just about every time.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Times have Ferguson's quotes on their piece about Ferguson saying we've got money to spend but only if he see's value.
“We’re going to apply for a work permit in January. That’s the kind of deal we’re looking at and it’s the kind of situation we are good at, signing young players who can develop at the club.”
Feck. He said the exact same thing about Ljajic. Diouf is doomed :(

Eriku

He played wide quite a lot last season and he's not really a winger, so it's hardly surprising that he was a bit inconsistent. But centrally he was great just about every time.
That'll be the thing then. Every time I bothered tuning in, he was a wide player.

Bummer.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I keep telling everyone, he's the one.

M160RA

The Black Manucho...is he still scoring four goals a game?

Gambit

I refuse to acknowledge that.

He must incite comparisons with former greats even though he's nothing like them if he's as good as he is.

Its all in the book "The Guide to becoming a football star"

Diouf- The Black Pele part II
If thats the case then lets pick someone whos not as often quoted, The Black Eusebio?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
From Honey Honey

Mame, Mame, how you thrill us ah, hah, Mame, Mame
Mame, Mame, nearly kill us, ah, hah, Mame Mame
We heard about you before, we wanted to know some more
And now we know what they mean, you’re a goal machine
Oh you make us dizzy

Mame Mame, let us see it ah hah Mame Mame
Mame, Mame, 4 goals in 1 game and you mean it, ah hah Mame Mame
The way that you scored at Molde, you are the Noggie’s league god
You make us wanna sing, Mame, the goal’s king

Gambit

From Honey Honey

Mame, Mame, how you thrill us ah, hah, Mame, Mame
Mame, Mame, nearly kill us, ah, hah, Mame Mame
We heard about you before, we wanted to know some more
And now we know what they mean, you’re a goal machine
Oh you make us dizzy

Mame Mame, let us see it ah hah Mame Mame
Mame, Mame, 4 goals in 1 game and you mean it, ah hah Mame Mame
The way that you scored at Molde, you are the Noggie’s league god
You make us wanna sing, Mame, the goal’s king
:lol: Brilliant

buckooo1978

The old work permit, eh?

I fecking hope we make more than a tentative enquiry this time.

Seeing as he cost us feck all, I'm not too worried.
think thats bullshit anyway

if it was work permit problems and a player is that good surely we buy and loan him out to a feeder club/partizan

that ljajic one is still annoying - not like united to do a u-turn

anyway even with rooney/berbatov/owen/welbeck/macheda/king coming through the competition is good - and fergie is fair enough to give them a chance to make it

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
Just had a look on Youtube, looks like another gymnast- maybe SAF wants to win an olympic medal to round things up, if i'm not wrong PIG was trying a flip of his own recently after we scored- somethings going on.

Great Hat

The next Manucho
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It was Manucho's assist for Welbeck's fifth goal against Stoke which won us the title.

I'm excited about Diouf coming, myself, and reports like this are always good to hear. Not seen much of him besides Youtube clips, which are usually deceptive, but he looks good in the air, and it'll be good to have a strong ariel threat in our attack. Be interesting to see if he gets many games, with quite a few reserve and breakthrough players pushing for a spot in our domestic cup games.

Gambit

Kind of.

After the deal was struck he scored four goals.

In 12 games.
Already playing like a Manchester United striker, good to see.
Once we signed him Molde suddenly started playing him on the wing which he just wasn't suited for, even then he was the second highest scorer in the Noggie league. This guy was born to play at United.