Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

SER19

It doesn't trouble me, it seemed to me on what you're posting on a basis when city are playing that they're a club living in your head rent free
No, they're top of the league and very likely to win the quadruple. Standard talking point on a football forum

SER19

To be fair, Ake has been done with injuries. You cannot call him a flop if he has had like 3 starts this season which is his first in city. I don’t think Angelina cost them anything. Isn’t he one of their youth products? Danilo asked to leave and got replaced by Cancelo but was an okay back up to Walker before he left. Mendy was actually very good but got done by injury after injury. He has played an average of maybe like 10 games per season since he came to England largely because of injuries. Nolito asked to leave because he missed Spain so much and Sane brought the premier league in its knees largely. He wasn’t a flop even though Bayern did a smart one to poach him away.

The one I’ll give you is Bravo. He was truly a flop but calling the rest flops is stretching it a bit.
I think every one of them was poor and would have gone down as flops among United fans. Angelino was 10m or so

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Sane a bad signing :lol:

Danilo won back to back PL titles and the side got 197 points over those two seasons. Won 5 cups? Yeah a woeful signing indeed..

Mendy has been a bad purchase due to injuries. Ake only been there a few months.

Angelino made City millions.

Nolito and Bravo were definitely flops.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Man city's books have not been balanced.

Anyway i was pointing out that his recruitment can be poor and still have s better stocked squad than any in the world.

You don't have to agree, and can put me on mute if it troubles you. Its just my opinion
I wouldn’t bother mate. You will soon get the posters in who deny extra salaries to players, defend insane sponsorships and who think that CAS judgement somehow found them innocent of any wrongdoing.

It just goes round in circles. Anyone with eyes can see how bad it is for the league and it’s too late to do anything about it now.

gibers

:lol: why do you keep saying they wanted to leave as if that means they weren't crap signings that were bought for too much and delivered too little. Its like saying di Maria wasn't a shocking waste of money. Feck it, sanchez wanted to leave too, let's chalk him up as a decent punt :lol:
If Danilo was so poor why was he benching Walker? So did Walker suddenly become WC after Danilo left? Funny enough you blame Pep for the recruitment when he is not the one that does the recruiting :lol:

SER19

Because he wanted to leave. He won the PFA Young Player of the Year for Christ’s sake.
So did dele alli. Twice. One good season doesn't justify 50m.

Him wanting to go to Bayern probably had a lot to do with him being sold to Bayern.
And a breakdown with guardiola, attitude concerns, underperforming in his last season and a bad injury. 50m not that well spent. Similar to di Maria wanting to leave

marktan

They annoy me because they buy the best players and then spend 90 mins hogging possession, forcing the other side to sit back, and then they score a goal and win most games. It just bores the tits off of me.

But then I guess that's what a lot of teams felt like playing against United under SAF, though I think there was more of a challenge as we never got the points tallies they did. And the title races were generally quite close.

City are a team I actually think would be good in a European super League, they'd actually get a challenge rather than rolling over the likes of Burnley every week.

SER19

If Danilo was so poor why was he benching Walker? So did Walker suddenly become WC after Danilo left? Funny enough you blame Pep for the recruitment when he is not the one that does the recruiting :lol:
Danilo played what, about 10 games in his 'second title winning season'. He was an ordinary performer that cost 27m and was sold 2 years later. I think you're being very generous but that's your opinion. You're welcome to it.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
I’m still confused as to where you’re getting your information from. In the two seasons where we won it back to back he got 20 goals and 25 assists in 63 league appearances and then in his last season he was out injured with an ACL. Utterly bizarre that you don’t think he was a good signing.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City

And a breakdown with guardiola, attitude concerns, underperforming in his last season and a bad injury. 50m not that well spent. Similar to di Maria wanting to leave
Yeah, apart from playing well and winning stuff, that is.

SER19

I’m still confused as to where you’re getting your information from. In the two seasons where we won it back to back he got 20 goals and 25 assists in 63 league appearances and then in his last season he was out injured with an ACL. Utterly bizarre that you don’t think he was a good signing.
If United signed a 50m youth player who started well, fell out with manager, got injured then did everything he could to move years before his peak, id be disappointed to say the least. This replies to @SqualorVictoria also

I better check out of here for a while, seem to have triggered some real sensitivities for some, despite no real controversial opinion

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Guys please stop answering to this WUM user.. its pointless. Let him do his talk and njoy the bitterness :lol:
City are in very strong position to win everything now.Lets see how and if the international break will have an impact on the teams form.

Nicolarra90

So the bearded cnut saved them again. He really fixed this season for them. Will win the POTY.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
If United signed a 50m youth player who started well, fell out with manager, got injured then did everything he could to move years before his peak, id be disappointed to say the least. This replies to @SqualorVictoria also

I better check out of here for a while, seem to have triggered some real sensitivities for some, despite no real controversial opinion
The irony that it’s you, of all people, saying that. Just look at some of your posts on this thread mate. Your dedication to establishing your contradictory and often disingenuous views is quite impressive.

Bearded One

You don't need to have 7 or 8 players in the top 10 in the world to have a great squad. I'm not saying Guardiola is a shit manager or a fraud or anything like that, but I just 100% disagree with City " not having much quality".

They've got a squad of what ? 20 25 quality players?

Look at the Everton bench tonight compared to theirs.

Even we're having to play the likes of Dan James or a clearly knackered and injured Rashford.

Sterling's been in poor form so they can afford to just drop him. If one of our top players is playing shite like Martial he has to just keep playing because there's no other options.
Comparing Everton to City is like comparing Bayern to Union Berlin. Both teams’ depth would be night and day. There is no league in the world where 9 teams are very close. It is what it is. It has never been this way and probably never will. We are playing the likes of James because we did poorly in our purchases and we should be the ones challenging city.

We drool over KDB but I think Pogba had a bigger profile than that guy when both players arrived at their current clubs. If Pogba was in this City team now, we’d be calling him a cheat code player.

Redcafe somehow tries to downplay our talents because this city team is playing at a very high level. There is not one player in their team that is a top 10 player other than de Bruyne.

SER19

The irony that it’s you, of all people, saying that. Just look at some of your posts on this thread mate. Your dedication to establishing your contradictory and often disingenuous views is quite impressive.
Genuinely sorry if i upset you, they're just my opinions. Enjoy your team and their success

Stormrage101MUFC

We were also tipped to win the quadruple back in 2008-09, but didn't. If our team back then couldn't win the quadruple, then I like to think that this Man City team won't.

Having said that, they could very easily win the Champions League. The main thing going for them is they already have the League in the bag which will make winning the Champions League "easier", a luxury that we didn't have back then. Also, there's no world-beating Barcelona team around to stop them.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Well he spent 200m+ on this

Ake
Angelino
Danilo
Mendy
Bravo
Nolito
Sane

That's off top of my head. Being able to piss away 200m helps your recruitment options
I'm curious at how much
Lukaku
Mikitaryan
Van de Beek
Alexis
Telles
Matic
Bailly

Fingeredmouse

It doesn't trouble me, it seemed to me on what you're posting on a basis when city are playing that they're a club living in your head rent free
It's only rent free to city because the poster is receiving generous and entirely legitimate sponsorship from a business in no way associated with Manchester City Football Club or the linked Reputation Laundering Holdings Incorporated.

SER19

I'm curious at how much
Lukaku
Mikitaryan
Van de Beek
Alexis
Telles
Matic
Bailly
Huge amounts and mostly poor signings. Not sure what is has to do with the transfer record of a different manager at a different club though?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Huge amounts and mostly poor signings. Not sure what is has to do with the transfer record of a different manager at a different club though?
All bought in the timeline Pep has been coach at Citeh

Maluco

I'm curious at how much
Lukaku
Mikitaryan
Van de Beek
Alexis
Telles
Matic
Bailly
Matic has played 150 games for United and has been quality in a lot of them. Bailly still has potential and Telles and van de Beek have just arrived.

But certainly Matic shouldn’t be on a list like this. He has been a very good signing.

Bearded One

I think every one of them was poor and would have gone down as flops among United fans. Angelino was 10m or so
That a player left a club doesn’t mean he was a flop. Would you call C. Ronaldo a flop? If you call Sane a flop, you are clutching at straws.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Matic has played 150 games for United and has been quality in a lot of them. Bailly still has potential and Telles and van de Beek have just arrived.

But certainly Matic shouldn’t be on a list like this. He has been a very good signing.
Didnt Ake just arrive, Bailly and Mendy have injury problems
Ok, but i still don't see what it has to do with discussing pep guardiolas transfer record at Manchester City.
It's comparing it to Man utd transfers in the same time frame

RooneyLegend

You don't need to have 7 or 8 players in the top 10 in the world to have a great squad. I'm not saying Guardiola is a shit manager or a fraud or anything like that, but I just 100% disagree with City " not having much quality".

They've got a squad of what ? 20 25 quality players?

Look at the Everton bench tonight compared to theirs.

Even we're having to play the likes of Dan James or a clearly knackered and injured Rashford.

Sterling's been in poor form so they can afford to just drop him. If one of our top players is playing shite like Martial he has to just keep playing because there's no other options.
It's an everton that has pissed money away in recent years. We, have done likewise. What I hate is that you guys go on like this is the best squad ever that makes it impossible for is to compete. I don't quite see it that way.

Not only do they have the most money but they also are one of the best clubs at using money. Pool has competed with them on a much smaller budget.

We are useless in the market hence we have to play the James' of this world. We have Amad and Greenwood who should be the squad options and steadily improving at this point. We should have a quality starting attacker on the right. Can we stop pretending we can't afford what we dont have and accept that it's the clubs doing.

How's our squad ever going to be satisfactory when we spend 170 million on Maguire, AWB and VDB?

SER19

That a player left a club doesn’t mean he was a flop. Would you call C. Ronaldo a flop? If you call Sane a flop, you are clutching at straws.
I didn't say a player leaving meant a flop. As i said re sane, very good start followed by attitude concerns, drop in form, serious injury and dying to leave the club, before his peak, isn't a good 50m in my opinion. Im sorry you disagree.

SER19

Didnt Ake just arrive, Bailly and Mendy have injury problems

It's comparing it to Man utd transfers in the same time frame
I think we're on completely different pages and youre trying to have a conversation that I'm not, unless you think a United fan can't discuss anything to do with city without needing to compare. I find it a bit weird, sorry

Bearded One

I didn't say a player leaving meant a flop. As i said re sane, very good start followed by attitude concerns, drop in form, serious injury and dying to leave the club, before his peak, isn't a good 50m in my opinion. Im sorry you disagree.
There is no need to be sorry, difference in opinions is a good thing.

He actually got a bad long injury at the start of a new season. They paid 50m perhaps and recouped the sum and the guy gave them a league title whilst with them. That is not a bad deal at all and moreso, the above doesn’t make him a flop.

SER19

There is no need to be sorry, difference in opinions is a good thing.

He actually got a bad long injury at the start of a new season. They paid 50m perhaps and recouped the sum and the guy gave them a league title whilst with them. That is not a bad deal at all and moreso, the above doesn’t make him a flop.
Id have been disappointed with that scenario at United.

In any case, as i said above im going to step out of thread a while. Been on here 13 years in some pretty controversial threads re moyes, LVG, mourinho, Ronaldo and never got such an inundation to an opinion that isn't that out there. Seems to really have rattled some posters. Id need a secretary to get to it all

Bearded One

Id have been disappointed with that scenario at United.

In any case, as i said above im going to step out of thread a while. Been on here 13 years in some pretty controversial threads re moyes, LVG, mourinho, Ronaldo and never got such an inundation to an opinion that isn't that out there. Seems to really have rattled some posters. Id need a secretary to get to it all
I was pleasantly surprised that they let him leave because the guy on his day can be a menace and tore the premier league a new one. I’m sure city fans were dissapointed he left and they got a downgrade in Ferran Torres from Valencia but it was never bad business or a case of wrong recruitment.

Ladron de redcafe

Sané was not a good signing? Jesus wept :lol:
Sane a bad signing :lol:

Danilo won back to back PL titles and the side got 197 points over those two seasons.
Because he wanted to leave. He won the PFA Young Player of the Year for Christ’s sake.
Him wanting to go to Bayern probably had a lot to do with him being sold to Bayern.
Because he wanted to leave and he'd have gone to Bayern for nothing at the end of this season
Yeah, apart from playing well and winning stuff, that is.
Guys please stop answering to this WUM user.. its pointless. Let him do his talk and njoy the bitterness :lol:
I'm pretty sure all the City fans are laughing at us after reading some of the bitter tripe from that poster.

When he is labeled a wum by neutral or United fans based on how bitter and deluded he sounds, that's an indication you shouldn't waste your time taking much of what he says seriously.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City

If you're allowed to include Aké then we're definitely allowed to include VDB and Telles...

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
It's a staggeringly bad take, sorry. Martial was the same price as Sané (assuming none of Martial's add-ons get triggered)- not "£50m" as you say. Martial has 81 G+A in 167 league games, while Sané managed 53 in just 90. And I'm only using Martial as an example, Sané did more in three than most forwards could manage in ten. There's a reason you're the only person who thinks he was a bad signing.

Maluco

If you're allowed to include Aké then we're definitely allowed to include VDB and Telles...
Yeah, I wouldn’t argue that point on Ake or even on recent spending. I just think it is disingenuous to believe that rules weren’t bent to build as fast as City have, especially early on.