Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Let's be honest a quadruple beats a treble because math. Anything else and its just united fans wiping their tears.
You can only beat whats infront of you and to win all the trophies it means you beat absolutely everyone put in front of you. Its not their fault united has been in transition for ages.
But if thinking that would help you digest it, then go for it.
Also they wont be winning the quadruple, because i wont let that happen :nervous:. I am sticking pins into a city doll as we speak.
I get that you can only beat what’s in front of you etc, but it’s still a fair piece of criteria when comparing two teams in different eras. Real Madrid once won five European cups in a row, and although they count just as much as their others, most sensible football fans know that it wasn’t quite the same back then when it was pretty much just them and a handful of others taking part. Of course they still beat the teams in front of them, but nobody would argue that side was greater than the one that won three champions leagues in a row, would they? But if as you say, 5 is better than 3 “because maths”, that would make them the best side ever. Or Pele with his 1000 goals scored in his back garden. He was just playing the teams in front of him, after all.

Redlyn

I get that you can only beat what’s in front of you etc, but it’s still a fair piece of criteria when comparing two teams in different eras. Real Madrid once won five European cups in a row, and although they count just as much as their others, most sensible football fans know that it wasn’t quite the same back then when it was pretty much just them and a handful of others taking part. Of course they still beat the teams in front of them, but nobody would argue that side was greater than the one that won three champions leagues in a row, would they? But if as you say, 5 is better than 3 “because maths”, that would make them the best side ever. Or Pele with his 1000 goals scored in his back garden. He was just playing the teams in front of him, after all.
Not not the side, just the achievement. A quad is better than a treble.
RM has won 13 European cups fair and square, they have achieved more on that front. Some players have won more than other superior players, doesn't change their achievement.
Why is this complicated.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Brazil won 3 World Cups with only players playing for Brazil's teams. I'm sick of european arrogance.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They have won 27 / drew 1 / lost 2 out of their last 30 matches. That’s ridiculous form and they’ve done it whilst rotating fairly frequently and keeping a fresh squad. Today was a bad day for them yes but their squad depth is insane compared to most other teams. Their bench today bar 1/2 would be starting in most top teams.
But that's why they lost, they rested all their best players

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not not the side, just the achievement. A quad is better than a treble.
RM has won 13 European cups fair and square, they have achieved more on that front. Some players have won more than other superior players, doesn't change their achievement.
Why is this complicated.
So in 2016/17 when Mourinho won 3 trophies with us, was that better than the double we did in ‘94?

OmarUnited4ever

I mean they had 70% + possession and over 20 shots and Leeds had 2 and scored 2. It’s very easy to rotate with that squad because there’s literally 2 players plus per position.
indeed, but even though they have such a deep squad, they do lose sometimes when KdB & Gundogan don't start.

all i'm saying is its not easy to win when you rotate, even city with their deep squad drop points

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I get that you can only beat what’s in front of you etc, but it’s still a fair piece of criteria when comparing two teams in different eras. Real Madrid once won five European cups in a row, and although they count just as much as their others, most sensible football fans know that it wasn’t quite the same back then when it was pretty much just them and a handful of others taking part. Of course they still beat the teams in front of them, but nobody would argue that side was greater than the one that won three champions leagues in a row, would they?
I think a lot of people would to be honest. Arguably one of the most stacked teams to win it - you’d comfortably find room for Di Stefano, Puskas, Gento and Santamaria in the more recent team. There were a few strong teams in the competition then and that Barcelona side with Kubala, Kocsis, Czibor, Suarez etc is one of the best never to win the trophy.

OmarUnited4ever

Let's be honest a quadruple beats a treble because math. Anything else and its just united fans wiping their tears.
You can only beat whats infront of you and to win all the trophies it means you beat absolutely everyone put in front of you. Its not their fault united has been in transition for ages.
But if thinking that would help you digest it, then go for it.
Also they wont be winning the quadruple, because i wont let that happen :nervous:. I am sticking pins into a city doll as we speak.
im with you brother. go for it

OmarUnited4ever

No because it is not the same trophies. A proper quad contains all the trophies that a proper treble does plus one
For me a trophy is won either by amassing the most points in a league or winning more than 6/8 rounds in a cup competition such as FA & League cup, for Europe, it's CL & EL (Group round & Knockout rounds).

i don't recognize trophies such as community shield, European super cup, just winning one game does not make you a trophy winner, also Club WC, it's silly one, as teams from EU play only 2 games.

So this year, City has a chance to pull off a treble plus 1 so a quadruple

Redlyn

So in 2016/17 when Mourinho won 3 trophies with us, was that better than the double we did in ‘94?
Just ignore the sheild it's a filler and the other two was a Micky mouse double so obviously 94 was a better achievement that anyone in their right mind will choose over the former. But If you say that 94 was better than 99, then we'd need to talk.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yep.
Treble=Domestic league, main domestic cup and Champions league.

Quad=a Treble plus the shitty domestic cup.
True, but it is still better. Maybe not much in it, but better all the same.

Personally, I don't think City will do it. I see them either being beaten by Chelsea next weekend and/or getting KO'd in the CL semi. However, it is a nonsense to say a quad isn't better than a treble, if the quad includes all the trophies the other treble teams have done and then add the league cup.

If they were trying to say 'quad' with PL, CL, Super Cup and World Club Cup, then I would understand but the league cup, whilst not great, is still a semi-reasonable achievement.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
That Madrid team was an awesome team, and you could easily say that they were better than the modern 3 peat one because they managed to win a lot more la Liga titles in addition to their European Cups. They were dominant in Spain and Europe. And needless to say, Pele didn’t score a thousand goals ‘in his back garden’. Saying stuff like just suggests that you have no actual understanding of football history. These figures deserve more respect: they paved the way for the modern game that we enjoy today.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I think a lot of people would to be honest. Arguably one of the most stacked teams to win it - you’d comfortably find room for Di Stefano, Puskas, Gento and Santamaria in the more recent team. There were a few strong teams in the competition then and that Barcelona side with Kubala, Kocsis, Czibor, Suarez etc is one of the best never to win the trophy.
Puskas and DiStefano as a double are better than any two players you could select from the modern team (Ronaldo and Benz, Ronaldo and Bale, whoever). That’s 2 of the top 10 greatest players of all time in one team. Puskas, DiStefano and Gento are probably better than any trio you could select from the modern team.

You’re so right about that Barca team as well. Kubala was arguably Barca’s greatest ever player before Messi came along (and that’s really saying something when you consider some of the players Barca have had). Luis Suarez was undoubtedly Spain’s greatest ever player prior to the post 2000 legends, and was a big part of Spain’s only international success before 2008. He also remains the only Spanish player to win the Ballon D’Or.

RooneyLegend

Lord knows what Pep was trying to do with that line up. Happens too many times in the absolute biggest games.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If they drop points against Villa I might start to believe in the unbelievable. Especially with another match against Chelsea on the horizon.

Problem is I don’t fully believe we will beat Burnley tomorrow.

RooneyLegend

Rotate, with fixture congestion in mind?

One can argue it backfired but given that KDB went off limping his concerns seemed justified.
That would make sense if the prem wasn't wrapped up. That's a side you put out at sheffield not against Chelsea in a semi.

Redlyn

If they drop points against Villa I might start to believe in the unbelievable. Especially with another match against Chelsea on the horizon.

Problem is I don’t fully believe we will beat Burnley tomorrow.
Yeah the minimum is winning all our games. Especially as we don't get to play them again like last time this situation was reversed. That alone is a tough ask, nevermind them dropping enough points. But we can only take it one game at a time.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That would make sense if the prem wasn't wrapped up. That's a side you put out at sheffield not against Chelsea in a semi.
They just had a grueling tie in Dortmund on Wednesday. Was he supposed to play that exact side again? :confused:

I'm not old enough that I forget the sides Fergie put out in the domestic cups.

always_hoping

Lord knows what Pep was trying to do with that line up. Happens too many times in the absolute biggest games.
After that result and performance this evening its fair to say If its Chelsea v Man City CL Final that Foden, Gundogan, Stones, Ederson, Mahrez will be starting.

RooneyLegend

They just had a grueling tie in Dortmund on Wednesday. Was he supposed to play that exact side again? :confused:

Most of it. They'll rest them for the next game. This isn't a Sir Alex side that can win games playing different styles. They need to outplay their opposition to win games and you won't outplay Chelsea with the side he put out there.

Ludens the Red

Out of interest, why are you down as an Arsenal supporter?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Maybe a 3rd CL quality stating eleven is necessary. Big summer ahead for the lads...

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Noticed a few new city accounts on here after they got through in the Champions league the other day, all the broadband must be down in Stockport tonight.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Most of it. They'll rest them for the next game. This isn't a Sir Alex side that can win games playing different styles. They need to outplay their opposition to win games and you won't outplay Chelsea with the side he put out there.
I think we are on the same page, some level of rotation was needed.

SER19

Genuinely don't think a team was ever better placed to replicate Uniteds treble. Huge squad during a packed season where most teams are really suffering, most European giants weak and an easy draw to semis. Only Chelsea in their way really. They've missed out on some very favourable circumstances

hobbers

Very happy with todays result.

Now I can support City in the cup final to spite Mourinho. :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Genuinely don't think a team was ever better placed to replicate Uniteds treble. Huge squad during a packed season where most teams are really suffering, most European giants weak and an easy draw to semis. Only Chelsea in their way really. They've missed out on some very favourable circumstances
And yet the fact they couldn’t do it despite favourable draws and circumstances just emphasises the level of difficulty involved in achieving it.

SER19

And yet the fact they couldn’t do it despite favourable draws and circumstances just emphasises the level of difficulty involved in achieving it.
Absolutely. Seemingly 832m isn't the price of a treble

padr81

Supports
Man City
Today has been coming, we've been off the boil for a couple of weeks now.

We were poor vs Everton in front of goal but ground it out.
Very, very good vs Leicester.
Poorish in the 1st leg with Dortmund.
Poor vs Leeds even though we should have won.
Ok first half vs Dortmund and very good 2nd half.
Shocking today (like the first half of the Dortmund game for 90 minutes).

Putting those games in perspective.. Our attack has reverted to its early season misfiring and I don't think Pep helped today with the Rodri/Fern combo.
Struggled to create vs Everton, Dortmund twice (and despite controlling the games needed 2 massive decisions to make up for our lack of killer instinct), had no killer instinct vs Leeds and today we played like geriatrics and didn't deserve anything , out worked, out fought and out thought by a Chelsea team who also played midweek. The only game in our last 6 we've looked genuinely like ourselves was Leicester.

We need to sort it out fast cause PSG will give us a whooping based on our last 4 or 5 performances. Pep now has to go full strength vs Villa to make sure we get the job done in the PL and possibly rotate for the League Cup as opposed to vice versa (which would have happened if the quad was still on). This is an example of why the quad is impossible even for us with our squad. There is too much quality in the English game to rotate like is required and still perform and as today showed, a couple of ropey performances and you'll get found out very quickly.

Also Sterlings confidence issues is destroying the team, looked a Sunday League player today. Rodri has slowly reverted to last seasons Rodri and Cancelo the same (the clanger in the derby seems to have hit him hard). We'll very likely still get the league done which will still be a great season but I'm not optimistic on the CL at all after the last month.

Cancelo, Rodri, Sterling, Jesus have all lost form at the worst possible moment, its a little too early to rely on Torres who doesn't get involved enough. For the squad we have we are literally relying on the same XI to get the job done. Ederson, Walker, Stones, Dias, Zinchenko, Rodri (if he finds form) Gundo, Bernardo, Mahrez, Foden and KDB. If KDB is out for any length of time we're not winning anything other than the premier league as we're tootless.

That said to get to this stage of the season still in the running for all 4 was an amazing accomplishment.