Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Well RVP is fit now. So panic over.

Steev

Being a prick and being right aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm not saying he is right, just that he's very qualified to give his opinion on the matter and he should be listened too.

No he isn't. He's not involved with the club and has no knowledge about what caused the injury. It was a fecking tweet, for fecks sake.

Iron Stove

I was at a coaching course he was the guest speaker at in Auckland last weekend. He referred to Moyes as an Idiot at the course.
It was the worst coaching course I have ever attended and i thought his methods were archaic and things we stopped doing a decade ago.
fecking hell, what a character.

KM

Everton's injury record as compared to us last season

Hannibal

This transfer window is a joke. Fergie should have waited till July 31st before officially retiring. That would have given us a better hand in the transfer market. Why is Moyes chasing after players that cannot come to us? Fabregas? Thiago? Ronaldo? Bale? This is like watching a kid play FM 2013.

Etienne Capoue is being offered at €10m as we speak, why is Moyes not busting his gut for such players that provide steel in the midfield instead of the ceremonial "has-beens" like Fabregas. I fail to see what Cesc would add to our midfield. His injury history does not please the eye and he is basically an older Kagawa that will cost an excess of £35m.

Of all the new managers taking new roles, Moyes is the least-ready..... every single decision he's made appears wrong. The sacking of the entire back-room staff(a successful and an experienced one for that matter) leaves a bitter taste. I don't know about others, but i fear for our chances in the upcoming season. The signs don't bode well for us.

Rant Over!!!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Etienne Capoue is being offered at €10m as we speak, why is Moyes not busting his gut for such players that provide steel in the midfield instead of the ceremonial "has-beens" like Fabregas. I fail to see what Cesc would add to our midfield. His injury history does not please the eye and he is basically an older Kagawa that will cost an excess of £35m.
:lol: Seriously?

Crackers

greasy ginfers
This transfer window is a joke. Fergie should have waited till July 31st before officially retiring. That would have given us a better hand in the transfer market. Why is Moyes chasing after players that cannot come to us? Fabregas? Thiago? Ronaldo? Bale? This is like watching a kid play FM 2013.

Of all the new managers taking new roles, Moyes is the least-ready..... every single decision he's made appears wrong. The sacking of the entire back-room staff(a successful and an experienced one for that matter) leaves a bitter taste. I don't know about others, but i fear for our chances in the upcoming season. The signs don't bode well for us.

Rant Over!!!
This is a parody, right?

Brightonian

Rant Over!!!
Either a decent parody, or one of the worst posts I've ever seen. I'm not sure there's a single sentence that isn't utterly wrong.

Shark

@NotShark

Rant Over!!!
:lol: Thanks for the laugh mate.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Either a decent parody, or one of the worst posts I've ever seen. I'm not sure there's a single sentence that isn't utterly wrong.
Looking at his posts, he seems like it was a joke. I think.
I am sure Moyes has something up his sleeve. There's no way he wouldn't add some steel to our midfield.
Even my dog knows our central midfield is softer than the centre of TREBOR.
Anderson must stay!
He's the only midfielder we have that can run with the ball and beat opponents with pace and dribbling. He formed a devastating partnership with Cleverley at the start of 2011/12 and that partnership should be tested once more(injury permitting).
It's a travesty we don't play him enough - Hernandez in a team like Arsenal or SPURS would be scoring 40 goals per season easily!

Nani is miles better than Valencia. Nani has more ammo to hurt the opposition than Valencia. I would even put Young ahead of Valencia. I can't think of any player in the history of our club that had a season as woeful as the one Valencia had in 12/13. It was cringe-worthy at times!

walsh

Rant Over!!!
Whether this is serious or not, please feck right off.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Being a prick and being right aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm not saying he is right, just that he's very qualified to give his opinion on the matter and he should be listened too.

No he shouldn't. Once he refers to a well respected manager and coach several times in a derogatory manner you then can stop listening. The guy is a fool who has no real idea what our training sessions are like so how is he in a position to say how pre-historic they are?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

Rant Over!!!
This dude makes sense on one point though. That the transfer window is a joke because it really is.

King_Eric

I was at a coaching course he was the guest speaker at in Auckland last weekend. He referred to Moyes as an Idiot at the course.
It was the worst coaching course I have ever attended and i thought his methods were archaic and things we stopped doing a decade ago.

I heard the same from some Dutch people I know. He was regarded as some sort of fitness guru in his own country a decade ago. He has a fitness-related university degree and he worked at some top positions. Also worked with Hiddink for quite a while. But they also say he didn't follow recent developments and is still advocating the same principles he studied in the 90s in Holland while these are considered to be outdated by most people in the business.

But anyway, the manner in which he communicates is reason enough to consider this man a clown. If he has something to say, he should try saying it in a civilized way. Maybe people will actually listen.

Two more tweets from today:

Raymond Verheijen@raymondverheije
1h
The best way to move football forward is to meet with the best football people all around the world and to share ideas and experiences.
Raymond Verheijen@raymondverheije
1h
Unfortunately, a lot of people in the football world live in their own little world and keep doing what they were doing. Conservatism.
Seems to be full of himself.

Hectic

Supports
30fps

Rant Over!!!
I think that's one of the worst posts I've ever seen. It felt like it would never end.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Watch your mouth or did you just come out of a correctional facility?

Thiago has just confirmed that United weren't in for him in the end and never spoke to him. Does that make you reassess your post considering the only one of the four names you mentioned that it actually is known we were in for is Fab and we are still in for him??

Comsmit

I honestly couldn't care less about Moyes' fitness training. United have a very fit squad of players and there were very few major injuries last season. Fitness training for me is very much secondary to tactical based drills that involve ball work. This is where I feel United need improving, their ability to respond and react to different situations in game. A prime example was against Chelsea in the cup games last season, and the initial 15 minutes following Nani's dismissal against Real Madrid. I was reading today about Mourinho and Faria's training drills. They are tactically based and innovative, involving just pure ball work and last for game time. They don't design fitness drills that are primarily boring, can actually increase the risk of injury through overtraining, and don't provide any real advantage over opposing teams.

Let's face it, all footballers should be fit and able to last game time (yes we all know who is the exception that proves the rule), so for me tactical drills offer more of an in-game advantage. Let's hope Moyes and his team have this in their armoury. The best teams in Europe as we speak, Bayern, Dortmund, Barcelona are all drilled extensively and operate to clear, structured gameplans. United need to find ways to become more tactically flexible.

KM

I honestly couldn't care less about Moyes' fitness training. United have a very fit squad of players and there were very few major injuries last season. Fitness training for me is very much secondary to tactical based drills that involve ball work. This is where I feel United need improving, their ability to respond and react to different situations in game. A prime example was against Chelsea in the cup games last season, and the initial 15 minutes following Nani's dismissal against Real Madrid. I was reading today about Mourinho and Faria's training drills. They are tactically based and innovative, involving just pure ball work and last for game time. They don't design fitness drills that are primarily boring, can actually increase the risk of injury through overtraining, and don't provide any real advantage over opposing teams.

Let's face it, all footballers should be fit and able to last game time (yes we all know who is the exception that proves the rule), so for me tactical drills offer more of an in-game advantage. Let's hope Moyes and his team have this in their armoury. The best teams in Europe as we speak, Bayern, Dortmund, Barcelona are all drilled extensively and operate to clear, structured gameplans. United need to find ways to become more tactically flexible.

I'm not sure I agree with that at all, for all the talk about Barcelona being drilled extensively and whatnot, the fact is that they struggled to defeat/overcome PSG at home until Messi rescued them inspite of being half-fit. The main reason why we suffer so much in the central midfield area is not because Cleverley/Anderson lack skill, they just lack the fitness level to reach 90 minutes.

I think tactically we were spot on in the big matches(including the Real Madrid match where Fergie seemingly outwitted "the best tactician in the game") but our fitness is not close to the levels of Munich, Dortmund etc. Everton's teams look extremely fit, let's hope Moyes improves that for us.

acnumber9

The best teams in Europe have extensively drilled, structured game plans and to match them United need to be more flexible? How does that work?

Comsmit

I'm not sure I agree with that at all, for all the talk about Barcelona being drilled extensively and whatnot, the fact is that they struggled to defeat/overcome PSG at home until Messi rescued them inspite of being half-fit. The main reason why we suffer so much in the central midfield area is not because Cleverley/Anderson lack skill, they just lack the fitness level to reach 90 minutes.

I think tactically we were spot on in the big matches(including the Real Madrid match where Fergie seemingly outwitted "the best tactician in the game") but our fitness is not close to the levels of Munich, Dortmund etc. Everton's teams look extremely fit, let's hope Moyes improves that for us.
Cleverley and Anderson should both be able to last 90 minutes. Christ sake Lampard did it for about 160 consecutive games. If they can't last that long I would say its primarily because they are tactically naïve, they don't conserve their energy, Anderson in particular although he is just a big waste of effing space. Cleverley can last 90 minutes he did it on numerous occassions in the last 2 years. I disagree that our fitness levels are not the same as the other big teams, its just that they work a darn sight harder and adhere to their tactical setup.

I don't believe Ferguson outwitted Jose at all, we lost the tie at the end of the day. I don't think either side played to their full potential but De Gea kep us in the first game. Their wasn't any flexibility to United's setup, as evidenced by the loss of direction post Nani dismissal. Jose on the other hand went straight for the jugular and exploited the situation. He knew exactly what the situation required in an instant, and it paid off. In the Chelsea cup games we looked shambolic and clueless. At Old Trafford there was no tactical discipline after going in front, and at Stamford Bridge I literally have no idea what the plan was.

Its more the flexibility to adapt to changes in a game I think needs improving.

KM

Cleverley and Anderson should both be able to last 90 minutes. Christ sake Lampard did it for about 160 consecutive games. If they can't last that long I would say its primarily because they are tactically naïve, they don't conserve their energy, Anderson in particular although he is just a big waste of effing space. Cleverley can last 90 minutes he did it on numerous occassions in the last 2 years. I disagree that our fitness levels are not the same as the other big teams, its just that they work a darn sight harder and adhere to their tactical setup.

I don't believe Ferguson outwitted Jose at all, we lost the tie at the end of the day. I don't think either side played to their full potential but De Gea kep us in the first game. Their wasn't any flexibility to United's setup, as evidenced by the loss of direction post Nani dismissal. Jose on the other hand went straight for the jugular and exploited the situation. He knew exactly what the situation required in an instant, and it paid off. In the Chelsea cup games we looked shambolic and clueless. At Old Trafford there was no tactical discipline after going in front, and at Stamford Bridge I literally have no idea what the plan was.

Jesus that's an extremely harsh assessment of our matches against Madrid.

Siorac

Jesus that's an extremely harsh assessment of our matches against Madrid.
Not really. De Gea performed brilliantly in the first game when we were carved open a number of times though we undoubtedly had great chances as well. At Old Trafford we simply parked the bus and looked to snatch some chances on the break. Nothing wrong with that - we performed that plan well and that was the only realistic way to beat them, given the difference in quality between the two sides - but it's no great tactical masterstroke. And he's right in saying that we failed to react to Nani's red card in any way.

8thWonder

Disagree. We could have done things different in some games last season and every season for that matter obviously. I know the point you're making but I think we're one of the most tactically versatile sides in Europe. Predicting who plays where and how for us is notoriously difficult. And tactically it makes a huge difference playing welbeck or rooney, nani or kagawa, rooney or rvp up top, jones or cleverley etc. As an example we knew pretty much down to a man Madrid's side before we played them bar Higuain or Benzema and how they would set up, there is no way they could have guessed ours. Some would say that's a negative but a disagree, it means we're very difficult to plan against and Mourinho said the same thing in the build up himself.

I think claims of outwitting are wide of the mark considering how tight the game was but I do think we stifled them very well and considering that that's not our normal game I think its a great example of how tactically fluid we are imo.

De Gea made some great saves but so did theirs and there were actually only one or two saves that a normal top flight keeper maybe wouldn't be expected to make so you've over stated that point imo. Your comment about having no in game flexibility as shown by the Madrid game is wide of the mark as well imo, we did the exact same thing to chelsea in the league. They had a man sent off and within minutes we had brought Hernandez on to go and win the game, which he did. In hindsight we could have managed the Nani sending off better but remember after our reshuffle with bringing Welbeck out to the left it still took a hell of goal to equalise. People often forget the fact that Modric changed the game with an immense goal, we didnt just capitulate.

Manchester United are no mugs when it comes to tactical ingenuity or flexibility in games, we've won our fair share of them to surely accept that fact?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I'll say it again, the Mourinho fanboys can feck right off to a Chelsea forum.

Thisistheone

8thwonder's post is spot on. Fergie played it brilliantly and out thought Mourinho. We were looking quite comfortable until the ridiculous red card. And even then it took a stunning goal from Modric.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Disagree. We could have done things different in some games last season and every season for that matter obviously. I know the point you're making but I think we're one of the most tactically versatile sides in Europe. Predicting who plays where and how for us is notoriously difficult. And tactically it makes a huge difference playing welbeck or rooney, nani or kagawa, rooney or rvp up top, jones or cleverley etc. As an example we knew pretty much down to a man Madrid's side before we played them bar Higuain or Benzema and how they would set up, there is no way they could have guessed ours. Some would say that's a negative but a disagree, it means we're very difficult to plan against and Mourinho said the same thing in the build up himself.

I think claims of outwitting are wide of the mark considering how tight the game was but I do think we stifled them very well and considering that that's not our normal game I think its a great example of how tactically fluid we are imo.

De Gea made some great saves but so did theirs and there were actually only one or two saves that a normal top flight keeper maybe wouldn't be expected to make so you've over stated that point imo. Your comment about having no in game flexibility as shown by the Madrid game is wide of the mark as well imo, we did the exact same thing to chelsea in the league. They had a man sent off and within minutes we had brought Hernandez on to go and win the game, which he did. In hindsight we could have managed the Nani sending off better but remember after our reshuffle with bringing Welbeck out to the left it still took a hell of goal to equalise. People often forget the fact that Modric changed the game with an immense goal, we didnt just capitulate.

Manchester United are no mugs when it comes to tactical ingenuity or flexibility in games, we've won our fair share of them to surely accept that fact?
Excellent post. Sir Alex got his tactics spot on in both those games. He out thought Mou, who had a better team.

RonaldoVII

Excellent post. Sir Alex got his tactics spot on in both those games. He out thought Mou, who had a better team.
Until Nani got sent off, then Mourinho's tactics won them the tie before we even reacted. It took until going 2-1 down on the night before we changed things and gave it a right good going but it was too late as the damage was done by Mourinho and his team.

KM

Not really. De Gea performed brilliantly in the first game when we were carved open a number of times though we undoubtedly had great chances as well. At Old Trafford we simply parked the bus and looked to snatch some chances on the break. Nothing wrong with that - we performed that plan well and that was the only realistic way to beat them, given the difference in quality between the two sides - but it's no great tactical masterstroke. And he's right in saying that we failed to react to Nani's red card in any way.

Yeah you're talking absolute bullshit.

We didn't parked the bus at Old Trafford, Real didn't actually had a sniff at the goal till the Nani dismissal. We were quite clearly the better team. We were absolutely the better team. People here somehow ridiculously alter the matches in order to undermine the team.

Siorac

Yeah you're talking absolute bullshit.

We didn't parked the bus at Old Trafford, Real didn't actually had a sniff at the goal till the Nani dismissal. We were quite clearly the better team. We were absolutely the better team. People here somehow ridiculously alter the matches in order to undermine the team.
We parked the bus very effectively. We defended very well, no doubt. We had some chances and scored a goal, they didn't. So yes, overall, we were the better team. They couldn't find a way through our back four and Carrick (though they did have a disallowed goal).

It doesn't change the fact that we were very defensive at our own ground from the kick-off. Nowt wrong with that, as I said in the post you quoted: that was the realistic approach against a side as strong as Madrid. It worked pretty well until the red card; I maintain that it was a mistake that we did not react to Nani's dismissal and to the Arbeloa-Modric substitution.