Man United Preseason Tour Announced - USA 2011

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
feck no Toronto date.

I would love to drive down to Chicago or Bwoston.

I've never seen United live in person anywhere.

I just want to see Scholes and Giggs on the pitch before they retire. I don't care if it's those 2 legends and the reserves, it would be worth it.

How much are tickets for these things? Are they hard to get?
I went to Bayern Munich game in Chicago seven years ago and tickets were $35 each, and they were easy to get as they were empty seats at the game. It was a crap game that ended 0-0 and we lost on penalties but I was very excited to see Ferdinand and Butt walk just a few yards in front of me.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
excellent news! A Saturday game in the Wash DC area v Barca.

would love to catch the NJ game too vs the MLS All-Stars but that's midweek and in NJ so have to put that on hold right now.

Excal

I went to Bayern Munich game in Chicago seven years ago and tickets were $35 each, and they were easy to get as they were empty seats at the game.
That was seven years ago, though. Dunno that I'd count on the same. Last year's American games averaged 51K attendance, and Soldier Field only holds 61K.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
hey TTR, hope you can make it up here for it.
was that '03? feckin hell, time flies by.
that was a great time though: hanging out in Nevada Smiths in NYC and then seeing us beat up on Juve at Giants Stadium....Ryan Giggs!! :D

Chris H

Video Posting God
Again, no match in Florida. Given that the owners have their own stadium there...would have made sense to squeeze in a game.
Premiership players think they deserve hazard pay for matches where the temperature "soars" above 83° F. There's no way they're playing in Florida in July.

forevrared

Premiership players think they deserve hazard pay for matches where the temperature "soars" above 83° F. There's no way they're playing in Florida in July.
They played in Houston last year, where the average temperature in July is significantly hotter than it is in Tampa. If the game's played at night, it won't be anywhere near 90.

As far as NFL goes for whoever mentioned that, at this point there won't even be an NFL season due to the lock-out and it wouldn't start until September anyway so there would be no conflict.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Why would Youth World Cup attendance in Canada have any bearing in decision where United should play? People complaining about United not going to their cities are lazy people who don't bother to check some flight and accommodation and make themselves available to attend a game to support a team they love.

I believe Canada can be a beautiful country with lots of trees, mountains and fresh airs, but to be playing in no facilities and fewer supporters showing up at games will make no sense at all. What team will you put out to play United if they do go to Edmonton for example, and who those tickets will go to??
Oh feck off your high horse. The US is a vast continent and a club should make it possible to venture to different cities instead of the same ones over and over. But in your summation everyone has hundreds and thousands to spend, no job, free vacation time, etc.

forevrared

Although I suppose I can't really blame the club if I put myself in their shoes. Our own league doesn't even care enough to put a club in this region of the country, so why would they think to come here? It doesn't make great business sense I suppose. Anger now directed at MLS, feckers.

Canuckred64

I went to Bayern Munich game in Chicago seven years ago and tickets were $35 each, and they were easy to get as they were empty seats at the game. It was a crap game that ended 0-0 and we lost on penalties but I was very excited to see Ferdinand and Butt walk just a few yards in front of me.
Think they will still be around $35( plus a little for inflation)? Would be nice I have friends in Chicago, it's a great city and it's only about an 8 or 9 hour drive.

redevil2

Oh feck off your high horse. The US is a vast continent and a club should make it possible to venture to different cities instead of the same ones over and over. But in your summation everyone has hundreds and thousands to spend, no job, free vacation time, etc.
You Feck off! Are you stupid or what?!! Why would United have to accommodate every city in the US just because people have no income, no vacation and no money to spend to watch them them??!! If you do not have any of those, you stay home and watch them on TV. Would people in Asia, Africa be complaining more because United go to USA again this year and not to their cities?

Should people who can't even afford to go to a game because they don't have food on the table and poorer than you who might at least go to a game when United is in your city, be complaining?

It's all relative isn't it. I am sick of people complaining why United do not go to their cities. Organising these summer tour is not easy and having the best facilities for the teams and putting on some good shows are more important than just being fair to other cities in the country.

It might be a huge disappointment but if you are supportive enough, you fly to the city and watch them (cheaper than coming to England!), otherwise, stay home and watch on telly. Or come to the Cafe to look at result and follow discussion etc.

MarylandMUFan

You Feck off! Are you stupid or what?!! Why would United have to accommodate every city in the US just because people have no income, no vacation and no money to spend to watch them them??!! If you do not have any of those, you stay home and watch them on TV. Would people in Asia, Africa be complaining more because United go to USA again this year and not to their cities?

Should people who can't even afford to go to a game because they don't have food on the table and poorer than you who might at least go to a game when United is in your city, be complaining?

It's all relative isn't it. I am sick of people complaining why United do not go to their cities. Organising these summer tour is not easy and having the best facilities for the teams and putting on some good shows are more important than just being fair to other cities in the country.

It might be a huge disappointment but if you are supportive enough, you fly to the city and watch them (cheaper than coming to England!), otherwise, stay home and watch on telly. Or come to the Cafe to look at result and follow discussion etc.
Bravo.

Hell, I live in Maryland and would prefer United stay at home and train. Forgo the big cash payout that the Summer tour offers and get nice and healthy for the long season ahead. If they created a Winter break maybe do a Summer Tour but the season is just too rough on the players.

MrMarcello

If someone is sacrificing their well being to attend a sporting event, they have other issues and need a serious reality check. The club could care less - they'll squeeze every nickle from the paying fan, rich or poor.

As a fan that has traveled to see United play live, has paid to watch them on tv, continues to pay for merchandise and live satellite feeds, I can question why they don't go to other larger cities on this continent, considering I am a citizen here as well.

redevil2

Bravo.

Hell, I live in Maryland and would prefer United stay at home and train. Forgo the big cash payout that the Summer tour offers and get nice and healthy for the long season ahead. If they created a Winter break maybe do a Summer Tour but the season is just too rough on the players.
Well said!!!

Some people don't understand they are so lucky to be supporting a club like United! They have forgotten many fans have never seen us play live and people in the third world do not even watch football on telly often but they still support United.

Summer tours are necessary in terms of marketing, and entertaining because it is part and parcel of the modern game and the economy though. Players do gain in reaching out to foreign fans but you are right those tours are a bit harsh on them.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Personally I'd rather spend my money going to see United at OT than tooling half 2way across the states to see them in a friendly but everyone doesn't have the benefit of a homebase like I do going back to England. For some Reds these are the only chances they ever get to see United.

redevil2

If someone is sacrificing their well being to attend a sporting event, they have other issues and need a serious reality check. The club could care less - they'll squeeze every nickle from the paying fan, rich or poor.

As a fan that has traveled to see United play live, has paid to watch them on tv, continues to pay for merchandise and live satellite feeds, I can question why they don't go to other larger cities on this continent, considering I am a citizen here as well.
Again that's some BS. If you have the right to complain like you said, how about those folks in Australia, New Zealand, Scotland or Kenya? Are they lesser fans than you in terms of paying to watch on tv, and buying merchandise etc?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
it is nice to watch them on tour even though I'd rather they be resting up too but at least for most players they'll have most of the summer off. not so in 2012, and in 2014.

forevrared

Bravo.

Its easy to say that when you live within an hour or two of places that they play frequently when they come to the US.

I just wish they'd give different parts of the US a chance to see the team. As it sits, to travel to NYC and stay there and see what is essentially the reserves playing an exhibition match would only cost about $1000 less than seeing the first team at Old Trafford. I can't justify that much expense for what it is. If United were to come to Atlanta on the other hand, I could get there, see the game and stay as long as I want for a grand total of about $150 and I'd do it happily.

As far as facilities for whoever made that excuse, the GA Dome has sold out 71,000+ seats for AC Milan, Manchester City, Club America, Mexico, Bosnia, etc and was one of the proposed host cities for the US in our recent World Cup bid.

It's not as if I'm unwilling to travel - Atlanta is exactly the same distance (to the mile) from me as Manchester is from London. For me to get to New York is roughly the same as traveling from London to Milan. More than anything, it's just frustrating that they come to my country, but time and time again they're still so far away.

redevil2

Personally I'd rather spend my money going to see United at OT than tooling half 2way across the states to see them in a friendly but everyone doesn't have the benefit of a homebase like I do going back to England. For some Reds these are the only chances they ever get to see United.
You are right! It must be a huge disappointment for them when United is in the States but not in their city. But to go on and on complaining about United making wrong choice or that they don't care about fans is just daft. The club has many considerations to take into account, like facilities, marketing, time taken to travel from one venue to the other, whether players have enough time to rest etc. These factors are far more important than having to satisfy someone who does not want to spend the kind of money/or can't afford to fly to meet them.

mboRa ndomHer0723

Think they will still be around $35( plus a little for inflation)? Would be nice I have friends in Chicago, it's a great city and it's only about an 8 or 9 hour drive.
I remember I paid $100 for pretty good seats at that game. This time tickets might be a little harder to get with the large Mexican population wanting to see Chicharito. .

forevrared

You are right! It must be a huge disappointment for them when United is in the States but not in their city. But to go on and on complaining about United making wrong choice or that they don't care about fans is just daft. The club has many considerations to take into account, like facilities, marketing, time taken to travel from one venue to the other, whether players have enough time to rest etc. These factors are far more important than having to satisfy someone who does not want to spend the kind of money/or can't afford to fly to meet them.
As I've said, loads of the cities we want them to come to were to be host cities if Qatar hadn't bought the 2022 World Cup and if you really think any major city in the US doesn't have sporting facilities that will put anything in England outside of perhaps Old Trafford, Wembley, and the Emirates to shame; you're sadly mistaken. And that's not even to say that the three in England I mentioned are even better - just that they're the only ones who can stand up to some of our stadiums. Marketing - do you think United would have trouble marketing themselves in a city that sold 71,000 seats to see City play a Mexican side? Time to get to the venue? About half what it takes to get to the West coast.

As for most of us 'going on and on', a couple of us have made a post or two in this thread, then more as you played the role of the crass WUM. It's not like we're in every thread complaining.

MrMarcello

Again that's some BS. If you have the right to complain like you said, how about those folks in Australia, New Zealand, Scotland or Kenya? Are they lesser fans than you in terms of paying to watch on tv, and buying merchandise etc?
Posters from other countries are always wanting United to come there and United should, as they have in the past with tours all over the world. I don't think they should be touring the same country in consecutive summers but the mighty dollar wins out.

I'm complaining because they are coming to my country and they are playing in the same cities again. It's really not as complicated as it seems.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
At the end of the day putting on these tours are logistically complicated. United will likely sell out everywhere they play regardless so it makes sense to go where they're familiar with. Yes it's a bummer if they're not coming to your city but you can't please everyone.

redevil2

As I've said, loads of the cities we want them to come to were to be host cities if Qatar hadn't bought the 2022 World Cup and if you really think any major city in the US doesn't have sporting facilities that will put anything in England outside of perhaps Old Trafford, Wembley, and the Emirates to shame; you're sadly mistaken. And that's not even to say that the three in England I mentioned are even better - just that they're the only ones who can stand up to some of our stadiums. Marketing - do you think United would have trouble marketing themselves in a city that sold 71,000 seats to see City play a Mexican side? Time to get to the venue? About half what it takes to get to the West coast.

As for most of us 'going on and on', a couple of us have made a post or two in this thread, then more as you played the role of the crass WUM. It's not like we're in every thread complaining.
If you think you are a better Summer tour organiser than those holding the job in United, then fair enough. I don't know much to argue with you about because I do not know the real reasons United are playing in the same city as before, but like someone mentioned going to familiar cities take off alot of work in an otherwise very complicated task having to consider many factors other than just money.

But if they tell me now it's all about money either it's about having more certainty in generating more revenue or just to save some cost, going back to familiar cities, I will take it as acceptable.

I am trying to be more understanding from the point of view of the club, and in turn knowing the club has a job to do for the health of the club, rather than having a go at those who felt disappointed, and am trying to explain the possible reasons for the decision.

You may know more about the situation than I, but for now I am happy they are going back to familiar cities and the lining up of games appears very exciting.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Is this confirmed? Can fans go watch the training session?

They're coming to the P. Depends on if you know someone at Nike. The last time they were here they was some club youth championship tourny going on at the same time. I got a wristband to get in from a mate who works out at Nike. Kell's usually does private do for them upstairs.

redevil2

May have to take the trip to Chicago and bring the missus along. Turn it into a few days vacation; try to meet with some companies and use it as a business expense.
This... is the right attitude and spirit!

I am not one who put up with lousy and stupid decision. But going back to the States sounds a very good choice. Looking at the destination of the summer tour pleases me, as at the very least you know for sure they will be taken care of in terms of good facilities, and it's not very likely players will come back with some virus or diseases. :-))

Canuckred64

I remember I paid $100 for pretty good seats at that game. This time tickets might be a little harder to get with the large Mexican population wanting to see Chicharito. .
Tickets have not gone on sale yet have they? The only thing I can find is if you buy a season ticket for Chicago Fire you get this game as well.

The games will be at Soldier Field and they have 60,000 + capacity so hopefully tickets won't be that hard to come by.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Tickets have not gone on sale yet have they? The only thing I can find is if you buy a season ticket for Chicago Fire you get this game as well.
That'll be the same for all the MLS season ticket holders. Plus I'm not sure if ST holders get a chance to buy more tickets before they go on sale to the general public. Seattle has 30k+ ST holders which take up pretty much the who lower section of Qwest Field, if they get to buy extras then that could fill up the rest of the stadium and not leave a whole lot left for everyone else.

mu77

That'll be the same for all the MLS season ticket holders. Plus I'm not sure if ST holders get a chance to buy more tickets before they go on sale to the general public. Seattle has 30k+ ST holders which take up pretty much the who lower section of Qwest Field, if they get to buy extras then that could fill up the rest of the stadium and not leave a whole lot left for everyone else.
i think the same will happen in foxboro - lower tier , open for revs games , never been but i see the barrier up on tv. caught both NYC matches , this ones much closer. booked rooms already , only folks outside of NE area are two mancs coming in - usual suspects i guess.

every match is an away , this ones as close as they're gonna get to NH.