Man Utd board warming to Inter Milan boss Mourinho

Who should replace SAF after he retires ?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 270 58.1%
  • Laurent Blanc

Votes: 61 13.1%
  • Steve Bruce

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Roy Keane

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Votes: 25 5.4%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Arsene Wenger

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mark Hughes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • Gus Hiddink

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Ottmar Hitzfeld

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Eric Cantona

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Alec McCleish

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Frank Rijkaard

• Louis Van Gaal

• Mike Phelan

• Carlos Quieroz

• Dick Advocaat

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Harry Redknapp

• Marcello Lippi

• Martin O'Neill

Votes: 19 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 5225

Jose Mourinho would appear to be on special offer. Available at the right price and ready for delivery to England this summer.

Right now, he would almost certainly say it ain’t so.

He reacted furiously to the publication of a recent interview that suggested a return to the Barclays Premier League could not come soon enough, insisting that he intended to honour a contract with Inter Milan that, because of an extension he signed in May, runs to June 30, 2012.
He's a celebrity...get him out of there: Mourinho insists he is happy at Inter - but sources claim he wants a return to England
But those closest to the former Chelsea manager insist he is far from content in Italy.
That, given half a chance, he would be back here in a flash. While nothing is ever straight-forward with the self-anointed Special One, his most likely suitors at Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool might just want to consider how they would respond should he suddenly become available.

Would they sit back and allow him to manage a major rival?

Or would drastic changes be made to accommodate him?

Mourinho has said he longs for stability; that he wants to stick around long enough in his next job to make a lasting impression and build something more significant. He says Sir Alex Ferguson is a one-off but he wouldn’t mind being to a club what Arsene Wenger has been to Arsenal.
The boss: Mourinho was a popular figure at Stamford Bridge
Which means it could be some time before the brightest young manager in European football is back on the market. That if they want a guy who has won five league titles in seven seasons in three countries, not to mention a European Cup and countless domestic cups, it could be now or never.

At this moment, Liverpool and City continue to stand by Rafa Benitez and Mark Hughes and nobody at Old Trafford is about to ask Ferguson to step aside.

But nobody admires Mourinho more than Ferguson and it would be fascinating to see if the 67-year-old would choose to synchronise his retirement at United with the Portuguese’s departure from the San Siro.

Ferguson being Ferguson, he would probably prefer that date to be June 30, 2012.

But he sees Mourinho as one of the few men with the ability, and personality, to succeed him and so, it seems, do key members of the Old Trafford hierarchy.

There was a time when Mourinho seemed unmanageable. When his outbursts damaged not just his own image but that of Chelsea.
Chin up: Mourinho took to the English game like duck to water
He was branded an ‘enemy of football’ by one senior UEFA official for his scathing criticism of referee Anders Frisk, and Roman Abramovich did not appreciate how his manager’s outbursts were hindering Chelsea’s progress in being welcomed to European football’s top table.

At United, however, they see changes in Mourinho. They see a more mature manager with more humility after his experiences at Chelsea and Inter, and they see someone who was utterly charming when he came to Old Trafford last season for the first knock-out stage of the Champions League.

They also see him, Sportsmail understands, as someone chief executive David Gill could work with.

Yet he has had his problems in Italy. He seemed to settle there well enough, with Inter renting him a private villa at the stunning Villa d’Este on the banks of Lake Como.

Teacher and student: Sir Alex Ferguson holds Mourinho in high esteem
Guests recalled how they saw him enjoying the hotel putting green with his wife and children and their now infamous Yorkshire Terrier, Leya.

But it was not long before he clashed with his rivals and with the media.

He accused the Italian press of ‘intellectual prostitution’ for the way they supported the all-Italian trio of Carlo Ancelotti, now at Chelsea but then at Milan, Luciano Spalletti and Claudio Ranieri.

And he incensed the same managers last season by declaring they would win ‘zero titles’.

There were also high-profile disputes with two other favourite sons of Italy — Marcello Lippi and Fabio Cannavaro.

As well as the Italian Super Cup, Mourinho won the Scudetto in his first season at Inter by 10 points and, thanks to a 1-0 defeat of Fiorentina at the weekend, sits seven points clear in the current campaign.

But he was criticised for his failure to improve on the European performances of his predecessor, Roberto Mancini, and this time around they need to beat Russian league leaders FC Rubin Kazan at the San Siro in their final group game to progress to the last 16.

For all the controversy he generated, Mourinho loved his time in England in a way that he does not seem to be enjoying Italy.

He embraced the country when he first arrived, giving his opening press conference as Inter manager in Italian after declaring that he had learned the language ‘in three weeks’.

But his allies say he is not that passionate about the culture or the ultra-defensive, catenaccio style of football.
The English, he felt, understood him and they understood his rather mischievous sense of humour.

In his view, they could see when lines were delivered with a wry smile and, after leaving Stamford Bridge, he referred to his encounters with the press as ‘the salt and pepper of my day’.

‘England is the country, and my football is English football,’ he said in that aforementioned interview.

It might have been followed by a statement insisting he had been misrepresented, but he was not kidding anyone.

Least of all two or three clubs in north-west England.

Read more: Special offers for the Special One! Jose Mourinho could choose from Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool for his England return | Mail Online
Special offers for the Special One! Jose Mourinho could choose from Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool for his England return | Mail Online

are you warming to him more now than before?

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
No not really, i wouldn't want him here. We were always known for good football and not the tactical/cautious approach. For that sole reason alone, i wouldn't warm towards him - however good record he may have.

Hellboy

Can see him going to City next summer if they keep on investing heavily to break the so called Big 4. Either that, or he'll be seeing out his contract at Milan until Sir Alex calls it a day. I don't want him anywhere near Old Trafford though.

unitedgogi

Him or Blanc. The only alternatives. Can't decide. He is more proven but I like Blanc more as a person.

Member 5225

Surely the only man for the job - who else has everyone else got in mind then?

OneUnited24

I wouldnt want to see him at United but if we are looking for someone to add a little spice from the touchline/handle the press/be successful then he has a good track record.

In a ideal world, Ole will become Manager when SAF calls it quits and he'll have Giggs as a assistant

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Laurent Blanc would/will be an absolute shocker, a disaster, I doubt we'd reach the top 4 with him at the helm

we'll live and see, so far Mourinho is the obvious choice

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Laurent Blanc would/will be an absolute shocker, a disaster, I doubt we'd reach the top 4 with him at the helm

Think thats a tad harsh on blanc but i agree in the sense i wouldnt be overly pleased if he were given the job based on one good managerial stint in France...has to do a lot more than that for me to prove hes up to such a massive job...plus i think Mourinhios the only one out there with the mentality and the 'arrogance/self confidence' to walk into Old trafford and not be fazed by the job and the man hes replacing....people forget its not just about being a good manager...

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
What makes you say that?
I'll elaborate on that the day he signs for us, there are plenty of reasons really, lack of experience, lack of skills with the media, average communication with his players, inability to handle transfer requests, being some of the foremost grounds

Member 5225

I kinda agree - Blanc hasn't been a manager long - and that too not in a hugely pressurised environment - I have my doubts

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
No not really, i wouldn't want him here. We were always known for good football and not the tactical/cautious approach. For that sole reason alone, i wouldn't warm towards him - however good record he may have.
His Chelsea team were excellent in 04/05, he gets criticised because they won a lot of games 1-0 in his second season. We did that last season and people on here said, "It's what Champions do."

Mourinho is the only logical choice to take over when SAF leaves, IMO.

Member 5225

His Chelsea team were excellent in 04/05, he gets criticised because they won a lot of games 1-0 in his second season. We did that last season and people on here said, "It's what Champions do."

spot on

Allforone

Its a bit of a myth his teams dont play good football...in his early years when chelsea had Duff and Robben on the flanks they played some great stuff...i remember a game against Barcelona at stamford bridge where chelsea ripped them open time after time going 3-0 up inside 15 minutes as a result...was a great game to watch...

djemba's arse

There's only two people I can think of who could survive the initial media onslaught that will inevitably come from the first few poor results, and that is Mourinho and Wenger. edit: Keane and Cantona too, but not sure how good of a choice they would be.

I love Bruce, and I believe he would be a top choice as far as the football matters goes, but the pressure from media and fans is going to be incredible for whoever takes over.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Its a bit of a myth his teams dont play good football...in his early years when chelsea had Duff and Robben on the flanks they played some great stuff...i remember a game against Barcelona at stamford bridge where chelsea ripped them open time after time going 3-0 up inside 15 minutes as a result...was a great game to watch...
Yes, but they won some games 1-0, he is the most boring manager ever. United never played that way. Oh, wait....

As you said, Duff and Robben on the wings were brilliant to watch. 04/05 they really were a superb team, and a brilliant team to watch. Gudjohnsen was underrated in that team, too. He made them click and Chelsea usually always played better when he was in the side.

I've not followed his time at Inter Milan, so I don't know how they play, but Chelsea were far from boring. They were efficient, and that's why we as United fans looked to diminish their accomplishments, by any which way we can.

He's a great manager, and with him at the helm I have no doubt our success would continue.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
He landed with that attacking formation at Chelsea more through accident than design. He has the persona to pull off this job and that, for the first post fergie manager migt be the most important thing. A few years of stability under Jose might not be the worst thing, but I'd still rather not see him here.

Allforone

Yes, but they won some games 1-0, he is the most boring manager ever. United never played that way. Oh, wait....

As you said, Duff and Robben on the wings were brilliant to watch. 04/05 they really were a superb team, and a brilliant team to watch. Gudjohnsen was underrated in that team, too. He made them click and Chelsea usually always played better when he was in the side.

I've not followed his time at Inter Milan, so I don't know how they play, but Chelsea were far from boring. They were efficient, and that's why we as United fans looked to diminish their accomplishments, by any which way we can.

He's a great manager, and with him at the helm I have no doubt our success would continue.

Totally agree with all of that.

Addis

Beckham, in toward Schmeichel, it's come for Dwigh
If he understands the magnitude of the task that he'll be given. The size and history of the club and the fundamental philosophies then I would be happy for him to manage us.

We're not Chelsea, and I think with some words from SAF about the youth policy, he would do well.

Hellboy

Remember : Mourinho are you listening ? You'd better keep your trophy glistening ! Coz we'll be back in May to take it away , walking in a Fergie WONDERLAND :D

Memories of that fantastic season ...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yes, in his early years. Is it a coincidence that

1. Duff and Robben were already at Chelsea by the time he arrived (Raineri had already made the purchases)

2. After these 2 players, all other wingers he has bought or utilized have been shit at best (except Joe Cole, who he didn't utilize well IMO)

3. Chelsea evolved from playing well to a grinding machine under Mourinho. Under Ferguson, we have played shit, tactical games, but it has always been the exception. We are the best team at attacking in the league apart from Arsenal

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

1. Duff and Robben were already at Chelsea by the time he arrived (Raineri had already made the purchases)

2. After these 2 players, all other wingers he has bought or utilized have been shit at best (except Joe Cole, who he didn't utilize well IMO)

3. Chelsea evolved from playing well to a grinding machine under Mourinho. Under Ferguson, we have played shit, tactical games, but it has always been the exception. We are the best team at attacking in the league apart from Arsenal
Terry and Lampard were already at Chelsea when Mourinho arrived, but he made them into the players they are today.

Ferraira was also brilliant in his first season. Carvalho is still going strong now.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Mourinho's so-called furious denial of a return to England consisted of a commitment to see out his contract, and not a word more. Think about it.

Ultra-defensive Catenaccio Italy eh?, good to see the writer's up-to-date.

United must be Mourinho's dream club, no Madrid or Abramovitch-type interference, United would appoint him and give him control.

And the Glazer's (spit) have a reputation for investing in the best manager, if I remember what they did with their gridiron franchise.

Might not be a done deal, but it's looking very likely.

And I'm not complaining.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

My sentiments exactly.

Hellboy

Joe Cole tore us apart a couple of times when Mourinho was in charge, I don't understand your point.

There are two defining signings that changed their style of play : bringing in Ballack and Sheva and being almost forced to accomodate them cost them an awful lot in terms of their attacking play, their flair, and their overall results.

datura

I'll elaborate on that the day he signs for us, there are plenty of reasons really, lack of experience, lack of skills with the media, average communication with his players, inability to handle transfer requests, being some of the foremost grounds
Yet he's finished 2nd and 1st in the French Ligue, currently top and qualified through the group stage of the Champions League, topping a group with Bayern and Juventus, so he must have some very good assets too.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Capello as yet.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I don't even know why Blanc is being mentioned. Hiddink is available now, I reckon he could do a good job, but then I think it's important to get a manager who is going to stay for the forseeable future, rather than just a couple of seasons. Hiddink is getting on a bit.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Yet he's finished 2nd and 1st in the French Ligue, currently top and qualified through the group stage of the Champions League, topping a group with Bayern and Juventus, so he must have some very good assets too.
Did you know Paul le Guen won 3 French titles in glowing fashion with Lyon before sinking Glasgow Rangers ?

Are you going to teach me about the ligue 1 ?

Will you ever stop quoting me ?

SecondFig

Whether you like him or not I think the timing is wrong, City (and potentially Liverpool) will likely make a move for him in the summer, and while I think he'd prefer to come to Old Trafford, I don't think he'll wait and I don't think SAF is ready to leave this summer.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Whether you like him or not I think the timing is wrong, City (and potentially Liverpool) will likely make a move for him in the summer, and while I think he'd prefer to come to Old Trafford, I don't think he'll wait and I don't think SAF is ready to leave this summer.
I think City's ambition and wealth may well appeal to him, but whether he'll think it'd be like Chelsea all over again (The pressure would be even greater), I don't know. United is obviously the club he wants to manage, and I honestly believe if we win League#19 this season Fergie will leave.

Cheltenham Red

Never argue with an idiot,they will bring you down
I don't even know why Blanc is being mentioned. Hiddink is available now, I reckon he could do a good job, but then I think it's important to get a manager who is going to stay for the forseeable future, rather than just a couple of seasons. Hiddink is getting on a bit.
Hiddink will go to city and Mourinho will join us at the end of next season imho.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its really shocking how some prefer former players to manage United despite their not having any experience or credentials to do so. Mourinho is the only one who could do it well.

kps88

The only problem with Mourinho is I can't see him staying too long either. He's openly stated he has ambitions to return to Spain and manage the Portuguese team.

His record suggests he likes to win things and then move on to the next challenge.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The only problem with Mourinho is I can't see him staying too long either. He's openly stated he has ambitions to return to Spain and manage the Portuguese team.

His record suggests he likes to win things and then move on to the next challenge.
No, it doesn't. He'd taken Porto as far as he possibly could, he was forced out of Chelsea, and I don't think the Italian media particularly like him that much.

I literally think that if he could find a club (like us), where he'd be given the freedom to do what he wants with transfers/players etc. without interference from the Chairman he would stay for 6/7/8 years, if not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.