Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. How anyone would have guessed that LVG and Mourinho would not be great selections is beyond me.
To be fair, a lot of people were dubious about Mourinho based on his style and his mental breakdowns at Madrid and Chelsea. I was not one of them but people knew Jose came with a LOT of baggage.

As for LVG, the football was dire and he really didn't suit us.

Lynty

Wenger until end of season

Whilst we prepare a full raid on Ajax

DoF: Van Der Sar
Manager: Erik Ten Hag

And seduce De Jong and De ligt

AndyJ1985

Great. It's about time our club got with the times and modernised its football operations. Hope we get the next two senior staff appointments right

Wayne's World

Glad the club are taking time out to make sure to get this right

About time we start acting like a football club and not a business

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. How anyone would have guessed that LVG and Mourinho would not be great selections is beyond me. From what was available, those two were probably the best.

I don't blame Woody at all in his choices.
They were obvious red flags with both of them.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
If Woodward cedes control of footballing matters to the DOF then I don't mind him sticking around. This needs to be a calm and thought out appointment, no half measures.

Lynty

Van der Sar is Marketing CEO of Ajax. Too close to Woodward's profile for comfort.
Woodword has done a great job in marketing and business management.

A woodword with football knowledge would be great. Hence VDS who already has history in the club

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
Imagine a CEO for any big business performing the way Woodward has, they'd be locked up in a mental asylum.
Woodward is very good on the commercial side, but it’s clear he’s out of his depth on the football side. A DoF would complement, rather than replace, Woodward.

Vadim

Woodword has done a great job in marketing and business management.

A woodword with football knowledge would be great. Hence VDS who already has history in the club
Who the feck is Woodword?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Who was available when we signed Mourinho? I just think people are using hindsight way too much here. I know for was a few who weren't a fan of the appointment back when it happened, but if you looked at the other available options - Mourinho was the least riskiest option. He was always going to be a short term manager. Get him to steady the ship, which he did in his first season by winning two trophies; came second in the league last season - it's just a shame we let him carry on into the dreaded third season which he is notorious to going rogue in.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
VDS has no experience being a sporting director. His role at Ajax is more commercial.b

Shark

@NotShark
Sorry if I’m talking shite as I’ve little knowledge of the full requirements of a DOF, but it seems that whenever we talk about it it’s as if posters we pulling past players out of a hat. I love VDS bit is there not more experience needed for this role?

tony barber

Someone might know something here - Laurent Blanc just gone odds on in the betting to be next manager. Was as big as 10/1 an hour ago.

youngrell

If it's true that Jose was against the DoF appointment in the summer, could it be the reason the board refused to back his signings?

Silly to play games with the club, but it could have been a 'this is how it's going to go unless you agree to a Dof' situation.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Woodward is very good on the commercial side, but it’s clear he’s out of his depth on the football side. A DoF would complement, rather than replace, Woodward.
He's the de facto DoF, it's one thing bringing money but if you can't manage the other side of the job then what's the point.

But glad it sounds like we may get someone in.

There are obvious red flags with every single manager, Pep aside (perhaps).. I'll give it a go

Poch - never won anything
Klopp - his team's are knackered in the last third of a season, always loses finals.
Fergie - never managed in England, wasn't a top international footballer.

There isn't a perfect manager. There is so much luck involved, the odds of being a success at any club (however they measure success) have to be less than 50/50.

Look at the managers Liverpool and City have had over the past decade. You just keep trying until you find a good one that works.

MuFc_1992

Who was available when we signed Mourinho? I just think people are using hindsight way too much here. I know for was a few who weren't a fan of the appointment back when it happened, but if you looked at the other available options - Mourinho was the least riskiest option. He was always going to be a short term manager. Get him to steady the ship, which he did in his first season by winning two trophies; came second in the league last season - it's just a shame we let him carry on into the dreaded third season which he is notorious to going rogue in.
What were we supposed to do? Sack him after he finished second because of his record at other clubs.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Woodward says so many pretty things. I'll believe it when i see it.

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
What were we supposed to do? Sack him after he finished second because of his record at other clubs.
Yes, the signs were already there towards the end of last season. A significant amount of people saw how this season was heading and it was clear from day 1 of pre-season what was happening.

Edit - I agree with the below post by Cyril.

cyril C

No, just never renew his contract in mid. The Board arranged a 2+1 contract for a special reason unfortunately it was wise to do so. Should have let the old contract run but offer a special bonus for the 3rd year if he can deliver and break his 3rd year syndrome. Most fans don't necessarily expect us to win the league in 3rd year, but at least we should be right in the mix , seeing some improvement from last season.

Lynty

VDS has no experience being a sporting director. His role at Ajax is more commercial.b
I worked for a major tech company one level below the directors.

You can be a quality Director of AI with zero experience in programming or computer science.

Likewise a Director Clincal Operations doesn’t have to have a Clincal background.

We need someone who understands the legacy that the club is built on, who has developed the correct links in football and has an intimate knowledge of how a successful club is run, from the ground up.

I just think he has the experience and qualifications to meet the role. But like you said, lacking a title.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's the de facto DoF, it's one thing bringing money but if you can't manage the other side of the job then what's the point.

But glad it sounds like we may get someone in.
He isn't the de facto DOF, that's the manager which is why he isn't called a head coach like it would on the continent.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Now that we know that a DOF will be appointed before a permanent manager, what avenue do you want the club to go down?

I suspect it will be between:

- Former player/staff who knows the club inside-out. Would try and re-instill the ethos which the club had under SAF. I suspect gearing towards youth, and getting rid of showpony players here for a paycheck. Hiring long-term managers.

- A current DOF at a continental club, responsible for reshaping an existing giant, or clearly having fantastic scouting/recruitment skills which we have really lacked for years now. Hiring short-term managers like most other big clubs.

What would you prefer? Any specific names - or avenues not considered above?

Mick321

Just not Monchi. His wheeling and dealing would be terrible for a giant and loads of his transfers at Roma have been dog shit.

Tarrou

Someone with a proven track record as a DOF or manager.

Would not be happy with a former player as I don’t see any who are qualified

Status
Not open for further replies.