Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
No one (from what I remember) had any concrete news about Ole's appointment until it happened. Maybe the club is doing away from the constant leaks and are doing their due diligence before naming anyone.
Yes, but that happened very quickly, within a few days. This has been going on for 10 months and nothing whatsoever has happened.

Fracture90

Woodward sits their every game watching and he doesn't even see Jones is effing awful? I am super angry that this clown is still making decisions at this club.

What's the point of a Dof, when he is going to gift contract renewals?
Well that's providing he actually knows something about football, which is highly unlikely.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well no, only letting players go would be a key decision, can't do anything about that after it's done.

Signing players on new contracts doesn't do much but put up their possible value.

Most people on here, want three/ four players in the summer, so if we let all these players gon we are going to need to replace them too, the idea that some DOF is gonna come in and sign 10 players is unrealistic.
If we're giving long term contracts to rubbish talent like Jones then that is a key decision. We won't be getting rid off him anytime soon. What is Woodward waiting to sign a DOF? Is he seeking someone to take over the football side of things or just a fall guy to blame for his mistakes?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
That's what I was saying above. We have no actual evidence the club is even looking to appoint a DOF. It's all based on speculation.
What "actual evidence" should the club provide for you to be happy? They will announce when there is any news.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I asked this a little earlier in the thread. There has been no official mention of it at all. It is suggested it has been leaked by the board to the newspapers.

Fosu-Mens

Mislintat, VDS or Luis Campos.

Could argue that we should hire more than one of these persons that together would make the decisions on who we sign/long term planning etc.
VDS/Ocampos in the DoF role, responible for the long term strategy etc. And Mislintat as the head of recruitement/scouting.
Heck. Sign all three. VDS as the CEO of football, being a well respected and balanced person he should be able to handle the media, Woodward/board well. Similar to a GM in american sports. Ocampos as DoF: Contract negotiation and responsible for making our scouting better, similar to how he did for Monaco and for Lille. And Mislintat as the head of recruitement and as the replacement for Ocampos after 2-3 years when Ocampos has created an efficent scouting/recruitement structure.

Shark

@NotShark
This is getting quite desperate. Woodward thinks he’s struck gold with Ole, when really he just got lucky and pulled it out of his arse. Another shield to hide behind for his decisions that are destroying the club. He’s not hiring a DOF any time soon.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is getting quite desperate. Woodward thinks he’s struck gold with Ole, when really he just got lucky and pulled it out of his arse. Another shield to hide behind for his decisions that are destroying the club. He’s not hiring a DOF any time soon.
Spot on

Fracture90

Of course he has knowledge about football. Ridiculous to think otherwise.
It's a game played on a bigass grass pitch, where 22 people run around trying to get the football into the opposite team's net... Doubt it goes beyond that in his mind.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
It wasn´t Dunphy, but the host (I suppose his name is Giles). I listened to the whole podcast, and it´s like a history lesson on Manchester United. I found it quite interesting, to be honest, and the host does not give the impression he is full of it. He´s quite firmly stating that Berta is coming in. There were some rumours about this in the newspapers also last fall. It guess it´s yet to see, though.
The host Giles and the guest Dunphy are ex United players of differing success. Giles left Busbys United for Leeds and Dunphy never made the grade.

Adebesi

It's a game played on a bigass grass pitch, where 22 people run around trying to get the football into the opposite team's net... Doubt it goes beyond that in his mind.
Its a game where it is possible to get 75,000 people to pay between £30 and £50 for a seat, with many of those also willing to fork out additional money for branded clothing, linen and toiletries. I imagine these details come to mind quicker than the number of players on the field.

crossy1686

career ending
What on Earth is that based on? You realise we're only in February and the new season doesn't start until August? Why is it desperate? You can't hire a DOF if the new incoming manager doesn't get on with him. Chill out being a sensationalist.

Chairman Steve

I hope we just get someone in who can help with transfers and recruitment. The LVG tenure was REALLY bad in this respect and part of the reason how we have accumulated so much deadwood. We bought the wrong players like Schneiderlin, indulged into Galacticoism with Schweinsteiger, ADM, Falcao and Sanchez, entrusted peaked players like Rooney and promoted kids who weren't good enough for the most part like Blackett and McNair.

Shark

@NotShark
What on Earth is that based on? You realise we're only in February and the new season doesn't start until August? Why is it desperate? You can't hire a DOF if the new incoming manager doesn't get on with him. Chill out being a sensationalist.
I’m basing it off his actions under our past three managers. Also I’m not saying we should hire a DOF right now but based off actual evidence that Woodward is fine to leave things on the long finger, he’ll be content with hiding behind another manager while he makes decisions like signing a crock on a 4 year contract. There’s already posters blaming that on Ole in his thread when he probably had absolutely zero say in it.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Jordi Cruyff as DOF and Ole as manager, just make it happen.
Jordi Cruyff? We’ll need to get Karel Poborsky and Ronny Johnsen involved in some way too.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Jordi Cruyff? We’ll need to get Karel Poborsky and Ronny Johnsen involved in some way too.
Very funny.

Cruyff has done excellent wherever he has been in both executive and coaching roles and comes across as having the perfect understanding of the role and what a club like us would need.

Adebesi

Getting Johnsen in that role would have a nice feeling of symmetry to it. Him and Ole signed together in 1996, I remember reading about the signings, a very small story, probably 100-200 words or something, hidden at the bottom of a page near the back of the sports section. Nobody knew who these guys were, and few could have expected the impact they would make on the pitch in the coming years. I love the idea that these two could end up 22 years later virtually controlling the football side of the club.

Fosu-Mens

How is it desperate? Stop being a drama queen
If we are going to hire a DoF, assuming that this is the plan from the club, and not a story briefed to certain journos to appease the fans.... Then we should have already hired one. A lot of the transfers during a summer is already planned/being planned from many clubs during the winter/early spring. Most teams knows which positions/players to buy, and will therefore already have started the process of strengthening/acquireing those positions/players. Getting a DoF at the end of the season would mean that many potential desireable transfertargets might have signed for someone else, or given the lack of interest for them signed a new contract. Barcelona have already bought two players that should have been on our list since January (De Jong and Todibo), and other teams are surely making their moves as well. We on the other hand, are either trying to find a DoF and then start making transfers, or we are not going to hire a DoF and let people with little understanding of football continue to have too much influence over which players we acquire. I would be concerned if i were you.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Very funny.

Cruyff has done excellent wherever he has been in both executive and coaching roles and comes across as having the perfect understanding of the role and what a club like us would need.
Sorry, I’ve had a google now. I’d no idea what Jordi has been up to.

SammyUnited_83

If we're giving long term contracts to rubbish talent like Jones then that is a key decision. We won't be getting rid off him anytime soon. What is Woodward waiting to sign a DOF? Is he seeking someone to take over the football side of things or just a fall guy to blame for his mistakes?
I agree.

Surely the DOF was being brought in to oversee the squad, who we need, who needs to go etc.

If they all have new contracts then surely it makes it harder to shift these guys. I understand it protects the value, but still the bigger picture should be putting together a better squad.

Seems to me the next manager will still have to deal with all the usual suspects, who haven't been good enough for years.

Fracture90

Its a game where it is possible to get 75,000 people to pay between £30 and £50 for a seat, with many of those also willing to fork out additional money for branded clothing, linen and toiletries. I imagine these details come to mind quicker than the number of players on the field.
I like your version better my friend.

Coops73

This has been rollling on for so long now. It’s a load of old bollocks isn’t it?

Lastwolf

Jones isn't rubbish, he does have a resale value and is a useful option, its a sounder decision to re-sign him now than let him go for free, if the new DoF can't mug some Chinese team or Everton for 30m then I suggest then he is one that is shit.

Probably a bit of both on the fall guy front, Woodward isn't dumb, he might not be the greatest on the footballing end but he's good at what he does. I imagine he realises that the perception of him (in the fan base) isn't the greatest and if the public opinion of him gets worse that may leave him vulnerable to the boardroom, but I know, from dealing with similar types of people he'll feel he's done amazing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
King Eric as Director of Football, Ole as full-time manager and chicken licker Paddy Evra as the clubs honorary mascot is the stuff dreams are made of.

I'd give blood to see this happen.

AndyJ1985

King Eric as Director of Football, Ole as full-time manager and chicken licker Paddy Evra as the clubs honorary mascot is the stuff dreams are made of.

Cracking idea. Hire a man with no experience to lead the revamp of all our football operations

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Cracking idea. Hire a man with no experience to lead the revamp of all our football operations
I'm glad you agree.

King Eric does not deal in trivialities such as experience or qualifications, he just wins by default. You should know this being a United fan (or so you say).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I'd happily see your blood spilt if you genuinely think Cantona should be anywhere near a prime position in the club

Status
Not open for further replies.