Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You aren't really making the case for theism any stronger here.
:lol:

Well, I believe in God. I also believe he is a United fan.

I don't know how anyone could object to the idea of King Eric returning to the club in an official capacity. His success in the role of DoF is absolutely guaranteed given the fact that he doesn't do failure.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Jones isn't rubbish, he does have a resale value and is a useful option, its a sounder decision to re-sign him now than let him go for free, if the new DoF can't mug some Chinese team or Everton for 30m then I suggest then he is one that is shit.

Probably a bit of both on the fall guy front, Woodward isn't dumb, he might not be the greatest on the footballing end but he's good at what he does. I imagine he realises that the perception of him (in the fan base) isn't the greatest and if the public opinion of him gets worse that may leave him vulnerable to the boardroom, but I know, from dealing with similar types of people he'll feel he's done amazing.
He really is. There again I concede he does have a resale value. What pisses me off is not that we actually gave him a contract but the fact we gave him a long term contract. That means that if he digs his heels (which he got every incentive to do) then we're stuck with him for 4 long years. Surely we could give him a 2+1 only to get rid of him next summer.

And yes Woody is dumb in all matters that concerns football. The fact we've got such a huge salary bill despite little talent to justify that is a great example why he shouldn't handle football matters anymore. He should focus on the stuff he's great at like sponsors and sucking up to the Glazers.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Jordi Cruyff as DOF and Ole as manager, just make it happen.
Honestly just reading about his achievements at Macabbi Tel Aviv and that Cyprus club as a sporting director and he has done exceedingly well at both.

Judas

Open to offers
:lol:

Well, I believe in God. I also believe he is a United fan.

I don't know how anyone could object to the idea of King Eric returning to the club in an official capacity. His success in the role of DoF is absolutely guaranteed given the fact that he doesn't do failure.
I'd happily see him back at the club in some official capacity, club ambassador or something like that, perfect. I personally think it's bonkers anyone thinks giving such a massively important job to someone who who has no real modern day football experience, he's a great fan, great to hear what he's thinking, but that's where I draw the line, and it'll be absolutely tragic if he got the job.

Al-T

Maybe the new DoF IS Phil Jones.

Let's face it, he's rarely fit enough to play so plenty of time to go on scouting trips and not injure other players in training. Also, his negotiating skills must be outstanding to blag another four year deal off the club.

It's the only logical explanation! :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'd happily see him back at the club in some official capacity, club ambassador or something like that, perfect. I personally think it's bonkers anyone thinks giving such a massively important job to someone who who has no real modern day football experience, he's a great fan, great to hear what he's thinking, but that's where I draw the line, and it'll be absolutely tragic if he got the job.
I was only half serious about him taking over as DoF ;)

Not that I would object, though, his status within the game is legendary and his influence could prove hugely beneficial when it comes to securing targets (who in their right mind could turn down King Eric?) not to mention his mere presence in the board room alone would be enough to convince Woody to stump up large amounts of cash when necessary.

What does he mean by this? He doesn't have his coaching badges so he can't be returning as coach and if he intended to return in an ambassadorial role, he would have said so in the tweet. Eric doesn't strike me as the type to make such a bold statement without good reason so I can't help but think his return to the club will be in a significant capacity.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
Does he really have that big a standing with non Utd fans? Genuine question. I don't know if he does, he's a massive legend in England I'd say, but worldwide? Not sure.

Andersons Dietician

Does he really have that big a standing with non Utd fans? Genuine question. I don't know if he does, he's a massive legend in England I'd say, but worldwide? Not sure.
I was thinking the same thing the other week, outside the prem do people even really know about him and especially the young generation and is he even that highly regarded in France. I mean he is Icon status for United fans and I suppose the karate kick made him imfamous but I just wonder if people like Martial, Mbappe, Dembele and the likes grew up knowing anything about the King.

Scholsey2004

What about Karel poborsky or Diego forlan? Two players who i, personally, can't tell apart. They could job share and I wouldn't have a clue.

cyril C

Sven Mislintat would probably not be a director of football, but rather "head of recruitment" or similar. Unless they think that he for some reason would be perfect for a different role than what he have done previously. It would be nice to have both; a "director of football" and a "head of recruitment". Similar to Dortmund.

Jordi Cruyff is a cool shout for director of football due to background and name. No idea about his "ability". Was Solskjaers best friend at the club when he arrived. Winter have an intervju with him today (apparently in Manchester!), but I can't access it.
We already have so many head and chief in scouting, why do we need another Head of Recruitment?

Chief scout Jim Lawlor
Head of global scouting Marcel Bout[191]
Head of youth recruitment David Harrison

lsd

The Oracle
Cantona is not going to be director. It shouldn't even be a discussion here .

Woodward would need to be insane to make that appointment

Chairman Steve

Moyes getting rid of Phelan and Rene looks pretty silly now, considering Phelan is now part of the Utd team that have 10 wins out of 11.

Jezpeza

Moyes getting rid of Phelan and Rene looks pretty silly now, considering Phelan is now part of the Utd team that have 10 wins out of 11.
Yeah, it was documented at the time that SAF recommended he keep them to support him but Moyes was as arrogant as he was stupid and got rid of the back room team to bring in a team of coaching staff experienced in being the underdogs and losing to big teams and scraping results against mid table ones. And that’s exactly what we got on the pitch.

cyril C

Head of recruitment would work above those 3 positions.
Excellent, so you will have a Head of scouts reporting to Head of recruitment who does about the same thing, who then report to Director of Football who does the negotiation, who then reports to the Deputy Chairman who makes the final decision. This is not the British Government, we can't afford so many layers, unless I get the job.

crossy1686

career ending
I was only half serious about him taking over as DoF ;)

Not that I would object, though, his status within the game is legendary and his influence could prove hugely beneficial when it comes to securing targets (who in their right mind could turn down King Eric?) not to mention his mere presence in the board room alone would be enough to convince Woody to stump up large amounts of cash when necessary.

What does he mean by this? He doesn't have his coaching badges so he can't be returning as coach and if he intended to return in an ambassadorial role, he would have said so in the tweet. Eric doesn't strike me as the type to make such a bold statement without good reason so I can't help but think his return to the club will be in a significant capacity.
I doubt it directly involves him in any way, only Zlatan would tell people they're going to love something and then it be him signing a new contract. I suspect he knows about Solskjaer getting the job on a perm or Martial signing a new contract?

Devil may care

Schmeichel wants to be a contender for D.O.F and comes out with this nonsense

Comes out with nonsense like this and played for City, but the biggest reason he shouldn't even be considered is he has zero qualifications for the job. Like Neville said before Christmas, we need a proven, successful operator in the DOF role.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I doubt it directly involves him in any way, only Zlatan would tell people they're going to love something and then it be him signing a new contract. I suspect he knows about Solskjaer getting the job on a perm or Martial signing a new contract?
I don't know what he means to imply with that statement but I think it will prove significant and involve him directly.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't know what he means to imply with that statement but I think it will prove significant and involve him directly.
You think he'd refer to something that involves him coming back to United as something we will love? I mean, we would love it but I don't think he would hold himself in such high regard as to say that. I think it's more likely to involve Martial's new contract than anything.

Lj82

Yeah, it was documented at the time that SAF recommended he keep them to support him but Moyes was as arrogant as he was stupid and got rid of the back room team to bring in a team of coaching staff experienced in being the underdogs and losing to big teams and scraping results against mid table ones. And that’s exactly what we got on the pitch.
I'm not sure if it was arrogance, or insecurity. He was filling the big shoes of a legend and he probably felt insecure and wanted his own men around him.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Comes out with nonsense like this and played for City, but the biggest reason he shouldn't even be considered is he has zero qualifications for the job. Like Neville said before Christmas, we need a proven, successful operator in the DOF role.
From my somewhat limited understanding of the role itself, the main priorities of a DoF is to act as an intermediary between the board and the manager, identify transfer targets and then assist the CEO in securing them.

I don't see why Eric Cantona should not be considered for the job given his extensive experience within the game, his knowledge of modern-day footballers worldwide and his almost-Godlike presence. He could be a huge hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.