Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
See Minsilat went to Stuttgart in the end. I could see Mitchell being in a technical director role, as that doesn't seem to be much of a step up from Head of Recruiting. That being said, I still think we'll see it being internal.

deadrevelz

......a director of football acts as an intermediary between Ole and the board to relieve the pressure on him by handling aspects away from day-to-day coaching, allowing him to focus on on-pitch performance? If Ed appoints the DoF, isn't he acting in his interest anyway? It's like putting an additional layer to fix something that is fundamentally wrong anyway.
That is a problem yes. It comes down to whether Ed is willing and able to hire a competent candidate who will put the football before the finance. Of course Ed will get final say on what budget is available but if there is no power in the DoF position and Ed gets to choose how and where the money is spent, I don't see things getting much better.

We need someone who is knowledgeable and forward thinking. They should know how all the success clubs operate and be able to copy and implement them at United as well as creating their own solutions. They should respect United's traditions but not be afraid to improve them.

Coops73

I don’t know too much about Paul Mitchell but seeing some of the players he was behind recruiting at Southampton and Tottenham it would seem he has a good eye, i also read somewhere that if he sees youth coming through the clubs system he’ll hold back on signing a player in their position so as to allow them a route into the first team.

He sounds ideal for us, can’t wait for Ed to sell him the “Disneyland” dream.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

Adnan

Talent Spotter

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's crazy how all the examples that he uses are bad. Upamecano chose Salzburg because Houiller was the DOF, the coach was a french speaker and he was guaranteed to play with the first team at Liefering and quickly Salzburg.
And yet Upamecano still had already agreed to join us. He is pretty much the perfect example. The move was all agreed upon until we fecked around and messed it up like several other academy signings at the time. As well as Dayot's agent coming out and saying that they changed their mind because we promised him a flat and then changed it to living with a host family and we wouldn't pay for his parents to visit. So he's in fact the perfect example of the board completely fecking shit up.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And yet Upamecano still had already agreed to join us. He is pretty much the perfect example. The move was all agreed upon until we fecked around and messed it up like several other academy signings at the time. As well as Dayot's agent coming out and saying that they changed their mind because we promised him a flat and then changed it to living with a host family and we wouldn't pay for his parents to visit. So he's in fact the perfect example of the board completely fecking shit up.
That's not what he said, he and his mom picked Salzburg for football and because of the environment, he mentions the numerous french speakers. He does say that he didn't want to live in a host family and preferred to be in a dorm.
https://www.sofoot.com/dayot-upamecano-j-ai-toujours-eu-un-corps-d-adulte-465944.html

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
We have a catch 22. We need a Dof but to appoint a decent one we have the man who has a history of making the worst football decisions on planet earth!

Can someone else please look at appointing a dof other than Woodward !

croadyman

Don't just stand still United and let Arsenal/Chelsea recruit a guy born and bred in Manchester, he obviously really wants the job and looked at some of the players he has unearthed in recent years for Southampton & Spurs, surely that has got to stand for something

Ed needs to realise that he can't control the football side of things and he badly needs someone who has proper understanding of scouting and has a real eye for talent

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Andy Mitten, Mark Ogden, James Ducker and Robson have reported in the last month that Mitchell won't be someone we bring in. They could be wrong and Sky could be right of course.

Wazza4Gaffa

A DoF makes too much sense and as a fan of Manchester United, and knowing our recent history, we will either not end up recruiting one or recruiting one who is nothing more than a puppet to Ed

Muhammad Fauzi

A DoF makes too much sense and as a fan of Manchester United, and knowing our recent history, we will either not end up recruiting one or recruiting one who is nothing more than a puppet to Ed
We won’t appoint one or it will be someone from internal as always the board want to kept their money in pocket.

Muhammad Fauzi

Just want to keep quiet and watch what will happen to this club in the long term. Will it be crumble or rise again

croadyman

Andy Mitten, Mark Ogden, James Ducker and Robson have reported in the last month that Mitchell won't be someone we bring in. They could be wrong and Sky could be right of course.
Yeah that is worrying because they're all reliable sources when it comes to Utd particularly Mitten. I know it's sounds negative but fear the worst with a potential internal appointment

They are just going to be a yes man in Ed Woodwards back pocket and will do what the board tells them

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
It needs to happen soon otherwise the summer will be chaos once again.

Bestietom

Why should Woodward be given the job of bringing a DOF into our club. Surely it should be down to the board or senior members. Woodward will only bring in a YES man.

What we need is someone to take over the reins from Woodward and sort out the whole wage structure and be able to negotiate contracts in the right way.

JEredDevil

Wasn't there talk about King Eric returning as DOF few months back? Is it impossible now?

Roboc7

It’s going to be someone internal I imagine so same people will effectively remain in charge of transfers, the only difference will be Ole instead of Jose.

If they wanted someone external it would have been resolved much earlier to allow that person to have some kind of impact this summer, it’s too late now.

Infra-red

It’s going to be someone internal I imagine so same people will effectively remain in charge of transfers, the only difference will be Ole instead of Jose.

If they wanted someone external it would have been resolved much earlier to allow that person to have some kind of impact this summer, it’s too late now.
This is most likely correct.

JEredDevil

Sir Alex maybe? :drool:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
time we bloody well got on with it...
First we heard that with Moaninho out we can get a DoF

Then we heard that the new permanent manager and DoF will work together

Now Ole's at the wheel and we are going to promote from within

Woodward and co. don't see past the balance sheets, they care more about our next quarter results than our performance on the pitch. They are delighted that Ole has taken the spotlight off them, and it wasn't even their own man it was someone else's recommendation (probably SAF).

Waynne

As long as Woodward is in charge I dont see an end to the mess this club is in.
Unfortunately this club will continue on this path for years to come unless someone in the higher ups removes Woodwaed 100 percent from all football related matters and a Director of Football is appointed by a group of executives who know the club and its philosophy on the pitch.
It's too late now doe anyone coming in to have any meaningful impact on our transfers and to build for the following season.
This inability or lacklustre effort to plan ahead is the Achilles heel of the this club and the one part that infuriates me to no end as a fan.
I dont care if we get hammered 3-0 by West Ham or Wolves, I know we are not there yet. Just show me some sort of fecking plan for the future apart from changing managers left and right.
I will take a loss knowing we building some sort of championship winning side.

Status
Not open for further replies.