Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemansky

There is a difference between power and decision making. No-one is suggesting that the new position would usurp Woodward (although ideally it would). The concern is that in addition to having the power to sign off on decisions made by a DoF, Woodward may also continue to have a hands on role making decisions that should be left to the DoF, manager, coaching and scouts. Hopefully that concern proves to be unfounded.
As I said in the earlier post. I agree with all these sentiments. We should have other personnel doing the decision making on football matters. But that won’t happen as long as the Glazers own the club and it’s not a single football person on the board. A DOF will at best be at an advisory position. And that is good as the club has been making mistake after mistake in the transfer market.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
And i was replying to your post in which another poster was asking why a manager would have a say in who the DoF is. You had said the manager has to have a say so that they have a similar vision and to that i said no, the manager shouldn't have a say for fear of not getting along because the DoF wouldnt be at the club to do as they wish but perform as directed by the board same as the manager therefore negating the need for Ole/manager to have a say.
I never said the manager has to have a say. I was saying that they have to work together so they need a similar vision. In this incident it makes sense as we have our manager in place.

Ideally it would be the DoF who would help in the search of a manager.

deadrevelz

As I said in the earlier post. I agree with all these sentiments. We should have other personnel doing the decision making on football matters. But that won’t happen as long as the Glazers own the club and it’s not a single football person on the board. A DOF will at best be at an advisory position. And that is good as the club has been making mistake after mistake in the transfer market.
I'm not sure what you mean there. If I was a billionaire who owned a profitable company I had no real interest in like Glazers / United, I would want to hire people who could run it better than I could on my behalf and I would want the most competent people to do that job. I don't see how it benefits anyone to have corporate types trying to run the footballing side of a club.

ValenciaRocks

I'm not sure I understand this myth that Woodward/board are interfering with the football side of things.

I'm almost certain that Woodward isn't choosing our signings/play style/tactics/formation/youth academy etc....

The biggest mistake our board have made is the wage structure and handling of player contracts.

But, could someone explain to me what they mean when they say the board/Woodward are controlling the football side of things? Legitimate question.

I do agree that we need a DOF, mainly to oversee the youth academies and identifying talents for the future. And to perhaps ensure the same play style is taught through the various tiers of the club; from the under 18s to the senior team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
:lol:If they had no say, will they have any later on?
The point being if someone is head of player development for youth recruits, they wouldn't have had much of a say on first team hires. Same the chief scout would only be able to make recommendations.

If they are given more power it could help.

But still I am skeptical

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The root and branch review for an academy director took a similar amount of time also. I generally am bemused at how people think an archaic and monolithic corporate organization such as this could have a quick fix implemented that isn't just a corporate cockshaft appointment from board level that would change nothing. If you truly want this thing fixed it will take years, maybe even half a decade.
But seriously, this is indefensible. An entire year to move from we're probably going to appoint a DoF to we expect to appoint a DoF is ridiculous.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm not sure what you mean there. If I was a billionaire who owned a profitable company I had no real interest in like Glazers / United, I would want to hire people who could run it better than I could on my behalf and I would want the most competent people to do that job. I don't see how it benefits anyone to have corporate types trying to run the footballing side of a club.
That's why you are posting on the caf. Money does strange things to a person, billionaires live in a different world to common people. Same goes for exceedingly rich people like Woodward. That's how Woodward comes out with such statements as 'playing performance doesn't really have a meaningful impact on the commercial side of business'.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But seriously, this is indefensible. An entire year to move from we're probably going to appoint a DoF to we expect to appoint a DoF is ridiculous.
I don't know if it's that indefensible or at least that's not peculiar. Sammer was replaced a year after his departure, same with Leonardo at PSG and PSG didn't even manage to get what they wanted, Lyon worked on it for more than a year and failed. If I'm not mistaken Paratici replaced Marotta but he hasn't been replaced yet.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
If nothing changes on this front before next season than Ole is simply being set up to fail. He has no experience recruiting at this level and will have a hard enough job proving his worth on the training pitch. It's getting to the stage where anything is better than nothing because nothing seems like madness, we need recruiting expertise like yesterday.

Ashley R1+O

I am still bemused at how many can't see that Woodward will want to relinquish the control he has in this area. This is just corporate speak for placating the peasants who support the club, have you ever thought deep on how the actual physical machinations of the club's corporate infrastructure? If you want this fixed properly this will take serious changes and planning. Not just "yeah old mate will fix it why didn't we get him in earlier" unless you want an Ed glove puppet for the continuation of his bizarre star search fetish and none of the actual structure around the football side changed.

Eric's Seagull

Think Director of Football should have been put in place by now. It's supposedly been going to happen for too long now.

I think this is going to be one of the most important appointments in our history and I am hoping that Woody wasn't just playing us all along. As it is so important I think that it will take a while to find the right person but I hope Woody doesn't just decide to bring in a puppet.

I think one is seriously needed to compliment the amazing work that Ole has done so far and to help take us to the next level and be challenging for the big trophies. Don't think it will be fair on Ole if one is not brought in. I think Ole needs to be given all the assistance he can to help him succeed, as I wouldn't want Ole to fail through Woody's incompetence and then Ole used as a convenient scapegoat by Woody.

Chairman Steve

If the DoF is indeed an internal appointment then we shouldn’t really be worrying about this, as they’re already there and probably helping prepare for next season and beyond.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If the DoF is indeed an internal appointment then we shouldn’t really be worrying about this, as they’re already there and probably helping prepare for next season and beyond.
We'd like that to be the case but if it is, why not announce it?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Would love if we got Edwin. He's smart so whatever he can't do he will hire the right people to assist him. Much better prospect than anyone else I can think of right now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Litch

......a director of football acts as an intermediary between Ole and the board to relieve the pressure on him by handling aspects away from day-to-day coaching, allowing him to focus on on-pitch performance? If Ed appoints the DoF, isn't he acting in his interest anyway? It's like putting an additional layer to fix something that is fundamentally wrong anyway.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I would like a DoF as it will lessen the burden on the manager, and will give us a greater chance of continuity if there is a management change. I don’t think in and of itself, a DoF is that imperative in football, and if a club could guarantee a long-term manager, then it doesn’t need one at all. However, with the role of a manager being one of constant change, it makes sense.

That said, it is worth pointing out that directors don’t seem to be staying at clubs longer than managers either. Monchi always seems to be on the move. Others who have operated in similar roles like Milinslat and Ribalta often seem to be moving around too.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would like a DoF as it will lessen the burden on the manager, and will give us a greater chance of continuity if there is a management change. I don’t think in and of itself, a DoF is that imperative in football, and if a club could guarantee a long-term manager, then it doesn’t need one at all. However, with the role of a manager being one of constant change, it makes sense.

That said, it is worth pointing out that directors don’t seem to be staying at clubs longer than managers either. Monchi always seems to be on the move. Others who have operated in similar roles like Milinslat and Ribalta often seem to be moving around too.
We need our very own Michael Zorc who has done a sterling job at Dortmund over the years. He was a Dortmund man too, so wasn't tempted to leave when other clubs showed interest in him. Monchi and Berta etc I don't feel will stick around long, so we need to take a leaf out of Dortmund's book and hire someone from within.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Or the most logical conclusion is you are just pessimist who loves to moan about everything.
We haven't won the league title for several years.
Either LFC are about to win their first title in decades or MCFC are going to be the first team to successfully defend their title.
We are in 6th place, where the manager who got 2nd place, went to great lengths to explain that the structure of our club is f****ed.

Are you aware of all this?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Can't We bring David Gill back?
Our success was not really down to Gill. It was SAF.
If Gill was working with D.Moyes, for example, we wouldn't have won all those trophies.
I think that we need to accept that we are a top 4 club and that whoever the manager is, they'll need to milk whatever they can out of sub standard players. Jose managed to get 2nd, so incoming managers will be expected to do the same with the squad of players we currently have.

Personally, I don't think we'll finish in the top 2 until the club is sold to new owners.
There is no need to spend big in the transfer market while the club is making record profits. Financially, it makes no sense.
Top 4 and an FA Cup, here and there (a la Arsenal), is basically where we are heading.

Cliche Guevara

We need our very own Michael Zorc who has done a sterling job at Dortmund over the years. He was a Dortmund man too, so wasn't tempted to leave when other clubs showed interest in him. Monchi and Berta etc I don't feel will stick around long, so we need to take a leaf out of Dortmund's book and hire someone from within.
The Dortmund example always makes me laugh.

Despite people falling over themselves to worship that club it’s a dreadful example. Sums up a lot of the opinions on the desperation for a DoF in my view.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Dortmund example always makes me laugh.

Despite people falling over themselves to worship that club it’s a dreadful example. Sums up a lot of the opinions on the desperation for a DoF in my view.
Dortmund don't have anywhere close to our financial muscle. But one thing they've got right is the appointed of Zorc many moons ago. Not sure what model you're referring to.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
We haven't won the league title for several years.
Either LFC are about to win their first title in decades or MCFC are going to be the first team to successfully defend their title.
We are in 6th place, where the manager who got 2nd place, went to great lengths to explain that the structure of our club is f****ed.

Are you aware of all this?
I'm also aware of the fact that Jose never took responsibility for any of his mistakes and the best decision we made in 6 years was sacking.

Apart from all that, your post has nothing to do with my reply or the post I was responding to.

Cliche Guevara

I don't think he knows BVB nearly went bankrupt - he's put the club in the right direction since then.
I don’t think you know Zorc was there when they nearly went bankrupt.

3 titles in 20 years under him. In Germany. None in the last seven years. Only one cup in that time. No European trophies.

12 managers.

A £2million loan from Bayern to prevent bankruptcy.

Lewandowski running down his contract and joining Bayern for free.

In the last two years they’ve signed 18 players and sold 16.

After the Dembele sale their biggest signing was Yarmolenko who they sold for a loss the following year.

None of this fits the narrative.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Anyone else think we're not gunna get anyone? We've (the club) been talking about this for ages, seems odd we haven't got it sorted yet. This should have been sorted around Christmas time really. Now if we do get someone you can bet it won't be until around July, meaning we'll either stand still in the market or again risk this random approach to bringing in new players.

Skills

Snitch
Anyone else think we're not gunna get anyone? We've (the club) been talking about this for ages, seems odd we haven't got it sorted yet. This should have been sorted around Christmas time really. Now if we do get someone you can bet it won't be until around July, meaning we'll either stand still in the market or again risk this random approach to bringing in new players.
I don't think we'll get one since we hired Ole permanently. Usually a big part of the Sporting Directors role involves selecting a head coach, and we've already done that.

Adisa

The club briefed past week that we should expect one before the end of the season.

Adisa

I don't think we'll get one since we hired Ole permanently. Usually a big part of the Sporting Directors role involves selecting a head coach, and we've already done that.
Ole said we are getting one.

Infra-red

Most reports have suggested an internal candidate. It is not yet clear when/if that will happen, who it will be and whether they will be given any meaningful role in player recruitment, or simply be window dressing.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The club briefed past week that we should expect one before the end of the season.
Haven't they also previously briefed that we should expect one before a permanent manager is announced? Granted circumstances changed given how well Olé started, but it's still different to what was previously expected.

I can just see it happening. There's a few things making me uneasy, particularly the way Phelan, a United man, is not yet committing to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.