Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

Banned in the transfer thread, that's how reliable a source they are.
Well I don't make the rules for that thread, but I would give far more credence to something written by, say, Neil Custis, than many of the people/publications whose tweets make it in to the thread.

Pscholes18

Ffs insanity if true. Why not give it to Paddy while we’re at it? When will we learn to stop dicking around and hire the best people suited for the job instead of thr Old boys??
This....richest club in the world and they aren't even looking at some of the top DoFs?

POF

Yeah, I think the hostilities were never "personal" but a professional one where two almost equal rivals recognised they needed to be at the top of their game to be the better. Both SAF and Wenger were always respectful towards each others achievements, and they even became warm towards each other in the latter years. Good healthy rivalry is a good thing, Just when it gets bitter and personal like Mourinho used to with Wenger things leave a sour taste. Woody get on it lad! :lol:
Haha! Short memory!

It was the most hate filled personal rivalry in Premier League history. Wenger was the most despised man at Old Trafford and acted disgracefully during that era.

The last decade of Arsenal being an irrelevance and hostilities fading changes people's recollections.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
This should've been done by March. We need to sign 5-6 players and we still get stories about a short list of candidates for the role. The press are clueless, but I have no faith in Woodward getting this summer right.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'm not sure if I should post this, Mike McGrath isn't reliable (even by the Sun's standards)
"MANCHESTER UNITED have put Norwich sporting director Stuart Webber on a shortlist of candidates in this summer’s shake-up.
Webber has led both Huddersfield and Canaries to the Premier League
...They are looking at a committee of ex-players to help find and recruit targets — but Webber would be in the frame to oversee the operation.
Darren Fletcher and Rio Ferdinand have been discussed as being part of the team..."
Just reading about this guy and it seems he has been brilliant for Norwich. Obviously different things to do well at United or Norwich.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/stuart-webber-climb-of-the-canaries

Decent interview here.

beedoubleyou

I am outraged about all these rumours. Outraged. The club is pathetic, everything is embarrassing and I know what won't work before anyone else has even thought about it. When it goes wrong, I'll be right here to tell you I told you so.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Haha! Short memory!

It was the most hate filled personal rivalry in Premier League history. Wenger was the most despised man at Old Trafford and acted disgracefully during that era.

The last decade of Arsenal being an irrelevance and hostilities fading changes people's recollections.
That shows that it was a professional rivalry. If it wasn't even when they became sh1t they'd the hostilities would've continued. It was always about football! Mourinho and Wenger is a different matter, that is a real personal battle. As for Wenger being the most despised man by the fans, let's be honest. You lot are fickle, De Gea, and Rashford were the 2nd coming last year...now they are pieces of sh1t that need to go, and they are your own players. :lol::lol::lol:

beedoubleyou

That shows that it was a professional rivalry. If it wasn't even when they became sh1t they'd the hostilities would've continued. It was always about football! Mourinho and Wenger is a different matter, that is a real personal battle. As for Wenger being the most despised man by the fans, let's be honest. You lot are fickle, De Gea, and Rashford were the 2nd coming last year...now they are pieces of sh1t that need to go, and they are your own players. :lol::lol::lol:
It's getting to the point where I think the worst fans in football are Manchester United fans. fecking numpties.

POF

When I said "at Old Trafford", I meant the club and not the fans. Arsenal behaved disgracefully with all of the Van Nistelrooy stuff and pizza gate and it was all condoned (if not encouraged) by Wenger. Fergie could not stand him and rightfully so. It was definitely personal.

It was no different to Jose/Wenger or Jose/Rafa except Jose made more outlandish and crass statements and Fergie had more class.

Cloud7

The Norwich guy seems like an outside the box appointment, but a sensible one rather than just lobbing random ex players at the job. Every top class DOF started somewhere, and if he’s been doing good work there, then maybe he’s ready for the step up.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Webber would be a very smart choice but why bring him into a committee system, where lots of ex-players are selecting targets? Let Webber decide how it’s done. The ex-players are probably better off starting as assistant coaches, or as assistants to Webber (on his say so).

Gopher Brown

Webber would be a very smart choice but why bring him into a committee system, where lots of ex-players are selecting targets? Let Webber decide how it’s done. The ex-players are probably better off starting as assistant coaches, or as assistants to Webber (on his say so).
“Guy I’ve just heard about is answer to all our problems”

Keefy18

Ideally I'd of liked to have an appointment in place now but them's the breaks.

Folks are in meltdown cause Ole got the job too soon....the DoF appointment is arguably a lot more important as the idea is he stays beyond managers and keeps the same structure in place and we take our time on it........ meltdown.

Can only laugh really :)

R'hllor

I do wonder how far we have to fall before fans start voting with their feet, and money.. it seems a lot further yet.
Never gonna happen, look DeLight threads, people didnt learn a thing from one transfer window to another, cheek on people to even attack Ed while their way of thinking is similar.

It would just be like them to big it up and include the cost in our transfer 'war chest'.
Count every single penny.

C'est Moi Cantona

Season tickets have sold, so think people are willing to give Ole time and a couple of transfer windows.
I know, just not sure what they are expecting happen, at least appoint your 'transfer committee', DOF, or whatever, in good time to give him a chance.

And if this goes wrong, do we just rinse and repeat, and brush it all under the carpet again, probably.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I know, just not sure what they are expecting happen, at least appoint your 'transfer committee', DOF, or whatever, in good time to give him a chance.

And if this goes wrong, do we just rinse and repeat, and brush it all under the carpet again, probably.
The DOF/Technical Director stuff is staggering. This should have been sorted ages ago. Which to me shows that if we had got CL nothing would have happened. We didn't so now they are in panic mode and haven't a clue what to do.

Keefy18

The DOF/Technical Director stuff is staggering. This should have been sorted ages ago. Which to me shows that if we had got CL nothing would have happened. We didn't so now they are in panic mode and haven't a clue what to do.
Ideally it should have been, but come on...we've a fan base in meltdown cause they "rushed to appoint Ole".... now we take our time over appointing a DoF/ TD it seems and folks aren't happy with that either.

Our fan base hasn't a feckin clue what it wants or knows what's best for the club at all. Sang Jose's name and flew Jose half and half scarves with LVG in charge and sang Ole's at the wheel when he rocked up, then he gets it and they are turning on him as well now cause he's a "yes man" and isn't experienced enough for the role now.

The DoF role is arguably a lot more important than the manager these days as they will out stay any manager and keep the structure in place regardless of who's arse keeps the manager seat warm and we take our time hiring someone and folks are in meltdown too.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ideally it should have been, but come on...we've a fan base in meltdown cause they "rushed to appoint Ole".... now we take our time over appointing a DoF/ TD it seems and folks aren't happy with that either.

Our fan base hasn't a feckin clue what it wants or knows what's best for the club at all. Sang Jose's name and flew Jose half and half scarves with LVG in charge and sang Ole's at the wheel when he rocked up, then he gets it and they are turning on him as well now cause he's a "yes man" and isn't experienced enough for the role now.

The DoF role is arguably a lot more important than the manager these days as they will out stay any manager and keep the structure in place regardless of who's arse keeps the manager seat warm and we take our time hiring someone and folks are in meltdown too.
The DOF role is very important, so there should have been one in place before the transfer window opened and contacts being used. We have just been floating along and now the board have realised that the club might just have a problem, that they have serious competition for players and that our name is no longer enough.

Keefy18

The DOF role is very important, so there should have been one in place before the transfer window opened and contacts being used. We have just been floating along and now the board have realised that the club might just have a problem, that they have serious competition for players and that our name is no longer enough.
If he was in place prior to the transfer window, wouldn't that too of been a rushed appointment? You know like the Ole one that folks are now slating Woodward for?

We're not going to be fixed over the summer, its a long term thing that will take a few years so weather they are appointed now or after the summer makes no real odds.

Pav1878

Absolute nonsense. The fans were right to be concerned with the rushed appointment of Ole. The board should have taken their time over both appointments, the point is they should have started looking for a technical director ages ago, not the start of the window

Keefy18

Absolute nonsense. The fans were right to be concerned with the rushed appointment of Ole. The board should have taken their time over both appointments, the point is they should have started looking for a technical director ages ago, not the start of the window
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You do realize it was Jose who was against a DoF appointment right? He blocked it.

So in reality they've only really been looking since Dec / Jan, a whopping 6 months maximum.

It was discussed with Jose there and he refused it cause he wanted squad autonomy. It's exactly the same reasons why he fell out with the Chelsea & Real boards, transfer dealings and when he fails he points the finger of blames to his superiors...always! Engineers himself into a lovely little pay day then.

The point I'm making is, we've supporters saying Ole was a rushed appointment then complain that we haven't rushed to appoint a DoF.

Basically what I'm saying is we've an army of idiots in our midst.

Infra-red

You do realize it was Jose who was against a DoF appointment right? He blocked it.

So in reality they've only really been looking since Dec / Jan, a whopping 6 months maximum.

It was discussed with Jose there and he refused it cause he wanted squad autonomy. It's exactly the same reasons why he fell out with the Chelsea & Real boards, transfer dealings and when he fails he points the finger of blames to his superiors...always! Engineers himself into a lovely little pay day then.

The point I'm making is, we've supporters saying Ole was a rushed appointment then complain that we haven't rushed to appoint a DoF.

Jose reportedly suggested Luis Campos for the role. The club rejected the idea.

Patrick08

He was in the news way before that, how he wanted to be only a first team coach than a manager. It's clear who doesn't want a DOF. It's not the manager but the board.

dove

I think the biggest idiots are in our board. After Jose was sacked, we clearly briefed the media how we will have a throughout process of finding a DoF and the manager and that it will take until the end of the season. What have we got instead? Complete opposite. We decided it was a brilliant idea to give someone a permanent job based on 2 months and increasing his wage 10x as if he was going somewhere else. It's the most idiotic decision I have seen in a long long time.

Mark Pawelek

I'm more concerned about the careful and deliberate appointment of Mourinho than Ole's appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.