Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Ffs insanity if true. Why not give it to Paddy while we’re at it? When will we learn to stop dicking around and hire the best people suited for the job instead of thr Old boys??
I agree. To just involve ex-players is not enough at this stage. There might be room for one or two, but the majority of the key positions need to be with the best possible people

Water Melon

Fortune is coming in as a coach according to that report.
Hope he is a really good coach then. We need top class staff from top to bottom as we are already far behind the best clubs and will have to do a lot of catch up work.

Moiraine

Luckhurst saying neither Fletcher, Ferdinand or Fortune will be the technical director. The role will be filled by someone else before the start of the season apparently.
Isn't it too late for this season for a DOF or Technical Director or whatever that would be. I don't see any practical input for this season whoever gets the job.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Isn't it too late for this season for a DOF or Technical Director or whatever that would be. I don't see any practical input for this season whoever gets the job.
Indeed. Just like last summer, seems the club are writing off the upcoming season before it's even started. Still expect fans to attend every game though dont they

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think the club planned to appoint one at the end of the season and go with the manager/recruitment stragegy for this current transfer window.

fergiesarmy1

He may put ex-players in for publicity but Woodward is a narcissistic and isn’t giving up control of anything. Until that guy goes we are in permanent trouble, he seems to think he is knowledgable on football coming which coming from a banking/financial background is absurd.

I hate Mourinho but as the story goes Woodward read a scout report on Fred and believed him to be the next Viera, Jose didn’t want him but Ed thought he knew better and spunked over £50 million on a bad version of djemba djemba. Also Ed was leaking stories on Jose pre sacking because he was pissed that Mourinho went public he wasn’t happy with how things were going.

Woodward is a disease on this club, he helped the yanks in to power and now won’t step aside, its like a bad version of Star Wars

Last edited:

UncleBob

He may put ex-players in for publicity but Woodward is a narcissistic and isn’t giving up control of anything. Until that guy goes we are in permanent trouble, he seems to think he is knowledgable on football coming which coming from a banking/financial background is absurd.

I hate Mourinho but as the story goes Woodward read a scout report on Fred and believed him to be the next Viera, Jose didn’t want him but Ed thought he knew better and spunked over £50 million on a bad version of djemba djemba. Also Ed was leaking stories on Jose pre sacking because he was pissed that Mourinho went public he wasn’t happy with how things were going.

Woodward is a disease on this club, he helped the yanks in to power and now won’t step aside, its like a bad version of Star Wars
:lol:

Sounds like you need to stop making things up

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley

Is there a source for this story or just the ramblings from a fertile imagination? :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Reads like a poorly written puff piece for Mourinho more than anything. The fact that he "never walked" is a "testament to his character" - really?

I suppose the fact that he hasn't commented on this - extreme, if true - meddling on Ed's part is another such testament. Jose Mourinho: man of character.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley

youngrell

Just sounds like an anti-Glazer rant to me. Another point, this "fit & proper persons" thing was nothing to do with the Glazers, more to do with folk like the ex city Shiniwanker dude and Abramovic types taking over.

So...

Just read this on the BBC https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48386784

Worth putting a tenner on Wenger getting the DOF job? :lol: I'd have him tbh.
I'd be all over Wenger for the job. Past hostilities aside, I can't imagine there's many better people for it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He rarely played him but fair enough if that’s what you believe
He played him quite frequently in the beginning, started the first 3 league games, think he played in 8 of the first 10. He was dropped due to not having adjusted to the pace. He usually didn't play new signings from new leagues so early. He did the same with Willian at Chelsea and also Mhiki when we first signed him from Dortmund.

Fred isn't really the profile of player Woodward would be looking to sign with his marketing and commercial hat on.

fergiesarmy1

He played him quite frequently in the beginning, started the first 3 league games, think he played in 8 of the first 10. He was dropped due to not having adjusted to the pace. He usually didn't play new signings from new leagues so early. He did the same with Willian at Chelsea and also Mhiki when we first signed him from Dortmund.

Fred isn't really the profile of player Woodward would be looking to sign with his marketing and commercial hat on.
Or the fact we got our arse handed to us in 2 of those 3 league games

Sereques

I don’t get it, fans complain of lack of football people at the club, the club wants a panel of ex players to help with transfers, people complain again because the club won’t hire a top DoF from Spain or whatever?

We’ve tried the top manager thing, it didn’t work, now they want to try running the club by people that have played here and know the DNA of the club, yet people still complain.

Tip, Beckham or Cantona or Keane or whichever poster you have in your room will/can never be the ceo of this club. Get over it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Or the fact we got our arse handed to us in 2 of those 3 league games
Yes so no point saying he didn't want him, since he played him from the get go, and only dropped him because he was shit.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Exactly. And neither is Bailly, who is mentioned in the same article.

Makes absolutely no sense unless one buys into the (conspiracy) theory that Woodward isn't just a bit shite on the football side, but a delusional maniac who thinks he knows more about football than the manager.

There's no evidence whatsoever that this is the case, as far as I'm aware of.

Shite on the football side? Clearly, the results are there for all to see.

Delusional in the extreme? Nothing suggests that.

Dong Fangzhuo

That "article"/blog post is the worst written Mourinho apologist nonsense I've seen in a long time and I'm certainly no Woody fan. Almost like it was written by Duncan Castles' slightly dumber younger brother.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That "article"/blog post is the worst written Mourinho apologist nonsense I've seen in a long time and I'm certainly no Woody fan. Almost like it was written by Duncan Castles' slightly dumber younger brother.
Yeah.

Ed Woodward, Chief executive of Manchester United is a fraud of a chief executive, simply an owner’s pet who wormed his way into controlling one of the biggest brands in human history.
* Castles-ish (but more amateurish, to be fair to The Egg).

* Dumb, sure. At least dumbish, for a supposedly serious "expose".

* Juvenile? No doubt. Hint: do not use the term "fraud" if you don't want to sound like an Internet snot stain.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
I'd be all over Wenger for the job. Past hostilities aside, I can't imagine there's many better people for it.
Yeah, I think the hostilities were never "personal" but a professional one where two almost equal rivals recognised they needed to be at the top of their game to be the better. Both SAF and Wenger were always respectful towards each others achievements, and they even became warm towards each other in the latter years. Good healthy rivalry is a good thing, Just when it gets bitter and personal like Mourinho used to with Wenger things leave a sour taste. Woody get on it lad! :lol:

fergiesarmy1

As long as Woodward is here he isn’t giving up power. The man needs to go, weren’t we supposed to be making a fast start on our signings this year. We can’t even close the deal on the boy from Swansea. How are going to fare when it comes to a major signing

United_We_Stand

I'm not sure if I should post this, Mike McGrath isn't reliable (even by the Sun's standards)
"MANCHESTER UNITED have put Norwich sporting director Stuart Webber on a shortlist of candidates in this summer’s shake-up.
Webber has led both Huddersfield and Canaries to the Premier League
...They are looking at a committee of ex-players to help find and recruit targets — but Webber would be in the frame to oversee the operation.
Darren Fletcher and Rio Ferdinand have been discussed as being part of the team..."

Celoti23-81

I'm not sure if I should post this, Mike McGrath isn't reliable (even by the Sun's standards)
"MANCHESTER UNITED have put Norwich sporting director Stuart Webber on a shortlist of candidates in this summer’s shake-up.
...They are looking at a committee of ex-players to help find and recruit targets — but Webber would be in the frame to oversee the operation.
Darren Fletcher and Rio Ferdinand have been discussed as being part of the team..."
I'm pretty sure a premier league club used a transfer committee a few years ago, and it completely failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.