g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaRed

Can we say that Gill and Sir Alex were our DOF, together? I feel Gill’s abilities are underrated on here.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I feel Gill’s abilities are underrated on here
I think he's overrated on here. Our transfer dealings for the last six years under him were woeful, both in terms of who we signed and who we didn't sign.

Grande

For anyone interested Paddy Power has betting on who will be our next director of football, odds are as follows:

Eric Cantona - Evens

Paul Mitchell - 3/1

Edwin Van der Sar 4/1

Fabio Paratici 11/2

Monchi - 11/2

Andrea Berta 11/1

Gary Neville - 14/1

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - 14/1

Michael Zorc - 20/1

Marcel Brands 25/1

Ralf Rangnick - 25/1

Giuseppe Marotta - 25/1

Luis Campos - 25/1

Les Reed - 50/1

Peter Schmeichel - 66/1

Nicola Cortese - 66/1

David Beckham - 80/1

Paul Scholes - 90/1

Rachel Riley - 225/1

Usain Bolt - 400/1

Andy Tait - 500/1

Mick Hucknall - 500/1
What, no Morrisey?

Red Devil Rising

Appointing a DoF would be one step forward. Appointing Cantona would be 3 steps backwards. Surely the club won't be that thick?

FujiVice

Eric made a great commissoner of football during the world cup. Imagine walking into his office to discuss new signings for next season and be greeted like this?

Chairman Steve

I'm surprised Mislintat didn't even make that list. At the moment his link to us is based on pure speculation, theory and convenient timing but I'm surprised Paddy Power didn't put two and two together, seeing how there's one big team looking for a DoF and one big team having a DoF-like figure leaving, from out of nowhere.

And yes, Cantona just doesn't fit that diplomatic suit and tie look and having to be tactful with people who won't make it plain sailing to sign their best players. He should just carry on doing his own thing which he probably wants to do anyway.

Red14Devil9

I think that this would be a good move as the club would get a lot better structure.

D4X73r

Imagine transfertalks between Raiola and Cantona.
While Raiola throws a chair, Cantona kicks him over the table

Dve

To be fair, it's a podcast type thing with Eamon Dunphy. I don't think Dunphy is a terribly reliable source though.
It wasn´t Dunphy, but the host (I suppose his name is Giles). I listened to the whole podcast, and it´s like a history lesson on Manchester United. I found it quite interesting, to be honest, and the host does not give the impression he is full of it. He´s quite firmly stating that Berta is coming in. There were some rumours about this in the newspapers also last fall. It guess it´s yet to see, though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It wasn´t Dunphy, but the host (I suppose his name is Giles). I listened to the whole podcast, and it´s like a history lesson on Manchester United. I found it quite interesting, to be honest, and the host does not give the impression he is full of it. He´s quite firmly stating that Berta is coming in. There were some rumours about this in the newspapers also last fall. It guess it´s yet to see, though.
Ah i thought the host was dunphy.

Yeah, shuffled some papers around before reading it, but was quite the assertion.

GioF

This decision will hold great significance over the next decade in my opinion.
I would love there to be a mesh between DOF and Manager and that’s why I’d personaly like someone associated with the club already to be our DOF.

svn

Ole at 14/1 is tempting if he doesn’t get the managers gig.
I certainly hope not. If Ole doesn't get the job of manager, he needs to get away from the club. If he were to remain in any other role, it would completely undermine the new manager, and people would be calling for Ole to take over as soon as we hit a bad patch of form.

Fracture90

At this point can't we just kidnap some DoF and hold him in the hidden basement bunker under Carrington, where we will feather-tickle him into giving us instructions what to do when it comes to signing and extending players as well as managers?

JoaquinJoaquin

It needs to happen, after today's announcement, the sooner the better.
I totally agree. But when you see things like today's announcement it makes you think that it may not happen, or it will be a long time in the future if it does.

Everything i've read about us appointing a DOF is just based on speculation. We have seen no actual evidence that the club are looking to do it. We are approaching mid February in what is going to be a pivotal Summer and we are no further on, when by all rumours we have read the club wanted to get the DOF in early to help with the new manager. I personally think Woody enjoys having the power too much to shift it on to someone else.

VanTastic_

Over 8K posts and literally no concrete news at all.
No one (from what I remember) had any concrete news about Ole's appointment until it happened. Maybe the club is doing away from the constant leaks and are doing their due diligence before naming anyone.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There's no point signing a DOF if we're going to take the key decisions beforehand. Under such circumstances then we'll be signing a potential fall guy for Woody's mistakes rather then try to improve the team.

Thisistheone

So today Minsilat officially leaves Arsenal? Might see some developments soon if we are bringing him here.

Also read that another name we were linked with before, Luis Campos, is doing a fine job at Lille currently. This is following on from his excellent work at Monaco. He could be the one to go for.

D4X73r

I hope we get one soon. I don't want to see any more 2+ year contract extensions for deadwood fc players

Lastwolf

There's no point signing a DOF if we're going to take the key decisions beforehand. Under such circumstances then we'll be signing a potential fall guy for Woody's mistakes rather then try to improve the team.
Well no, only letting players go would be a key decision, can't do anything about that after it's done.

Signing players on new contracts doesn't do much but put up their possible value.

Most people on here, want three/ four players in the summer, so if we let all these players gon we are going to need to replace them too, the idea that some DOF is gonna come in and sign 10 players is unrealistic.

Patrick08

Woodward sits their every game watching and he doesn't even see Jones is effing awful? I am super angry that this clown is still making decisions at this club.

What's the point of a Dof, when he is going to gift contract renewals?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The media have been briefed about a DoF for years. It's PR fluff. Our board are self admittedly reactive. I would not be surprised at all if we hire Arsenal's former head scout to replace Ribalta. This guy wasn't even available until recently, but he's got hype around him. Of course I would welcome someone like Sven at the club (he is a very good scout) but the way we hire is quite worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.