"Man Utd"

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I fail to see why people have such a problem with this term. Ecery week there's another load of moaning threads about it...sorry to add to this.

Wouldn't use it myself, just cos I was brought up saying 'Man United', and non-United fans tended to use it. But as "insulting" terms go, it could be a lot worse than 'Man Utd', Man Utd, Man Yoo or whatever. If that's as bad as it gets, who cares?

People say it's short for 'Manure', but then you could argue that at least people are saying it instead of manure...it's almost polite!

It seems more like a shibboleth or badge of identity: people prove their Unitedness by slagging others off for using it.

We should remember how lucky we are: after all, we could have the word 'Arse' in both our club name and manager's name. Now that would be embarrassing.

For some reason though, the way foreign fans, players and managers call us 'Manchester' pisses me off...even though it should make me happy by pissing off the City fans.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
It always used to be a term of affection - pre title winning days. Then the ABUs latched on to it, and since then we've pandered to their whims and handed it over to them. I've heard older United fans using it as well as younger "uninitiated" ones. We've always just used United, but I know plenty of genuine fans who have always said Man.U - and they said it first, before the ABUs.

Dubai_Devil

I dont really care about it either, except that it sounds a bit dumb. What annoys me more are the Red Issue type who say "Oh you said Man Utd you are not a true Red".

Jacqueline_S

Banned Jackie Chan lookalike
someone said the term 'Man United' is not acceptable... you gotta feel prond of where you're from, say MANCHESTER UNITED instead of Man United.... :)

Precaution

i think most people say it because they cant be arsed to type "Manchester United" :smirk: its the lazy text generation of today you see

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
Plechazunga said:
I
For some reason though, the way foreign fans, players and managers call us 'Manchester' pisses me off...even though it should make me happy by pissing off the City fans.

I've never heard the term Man Utd used in Manchester. It was always Man United or simply United. Altho' a mate of mine called us Man Utd once, and I can recall thinking it sounded strange. Just like Man Cee would sound weird to a Bitter, I suppose. Maannnnnnn Yoooooo. Very Laaaaaandon.

As for us being called 'Manchester'. Must admit that I love it. El Manchester. We are Manchester. I think it's the business.

Oh Manchester........

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Plechazunga said:
We should remember how lucky we are: after all, we could have the word 'Arse' in both our club name and manager's name.
Also as we all know, the Dippers have Poo in their team name, whereas Bristol City is an outstanding name in itself - but the unluckiest are the ones from Scunthorpe. ;)

Precaution

green demon said:
Also as we all know, the Dippers have Poo in their team name, whereas Bristol City is an outstanding name in itself - but the unluckiest are the ones from Scunthorpe. ;)
mighr be unlucky but it sure got me out alot of trouble when i was at school :cool:

BezsMaracas

i can't stand it to be honest and it does piss me off when i hear it from united fans. thats just the way i've been brought up. would city fans ever call themselves man c? newcastle new u? its fecking retarded. annoys me even more when supposed reputable newspapers and news channels use the term, but they are probably doing it because they know it pisses me off, bastards!!!

French Henry

I usually call you United - just because it's what I've always said.

I'll have to remember to start calling you Man Utd, Yoo, or Manure from now on though. :D

Davo

Plechazunga said:
I fail to see why people have such a problem with this term. Ecery week there's another load of moaning threads about it...sorry to add to this.
Genuinely never understood the problem with this....it became a term you cripples objected to overnight.....suddenly none of you had ever used it....ever

Davo

GroundSide said:
You wouldnt though would you?
No

Because I'm not a pretentious fairy who suddenly decided a term was "Sky Generation" for no apparant reason

You've all used the phrase......all of you

roxyfella

Real Fly Ox
Davo said:
No

Because I'm not a pretentious fairy who suddenly decided a term was "Sky Generation" for no apparant reason

Man, you should get you facts right, i have never used the Phrase.

Davo

Man Utd Mrs said:
You ARE a pretentious fairy...your boyfriend told me!
Come on darling

If you want to pretend to be a proper football fan, you're gonna have to do better than that

Put your knickers on and make me a cuppa

GroundSide

Manchester..It' s gotta be a loose fit... Don't ne
Davo said:
No

When your watching the match tommorow, I know it'll be on the telly ;) have a look in the top left corner of your screen...should be something like

L'pool 0-1 'Man Utd'...... A Sky thing?

Bollocks to your pretentious fairy shite. Pretentious is a word I'd use to a 'Liverpool fan' who spends his life on a United forum.

RedorDead6899

Acid tongued, and often called evil, but kind to s
I'll have one mum if you're making one. No sugars for me, sweet enough n'all that.

RedorDead6899

Acid tongued, and often called evil, but kind to s
I really can't stand 'Man Utd.' United for me mostly.

Noticed my brother saying it a bit before, but I reckon that was an age thing - soon corrected him.

Davo

GroundSide said:
When your watching the match tommorow, I know it'll be on the telly ;) have a look in the top left corner of your screen...should be something like

L'pool 0-1 'Man Utd'...... A Sky thing?

Bollocks to your pretentious fairy shite. Pretentious is a word I'd use to a 'Liverpool fan' who spends his life on a United forum.
Eh? Don't you know what the word means then?

Fuss about nothing.....just a spastic non-reason for certain fans to have a pop at others...you've been termed Man Utd for ages...your players use it, your fans use it