Manager draft

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
You better hope junior behaves. When do you want to play the game?
Don't worry. Junior always like outperforming his dad.

Any time from Monday night. Got loads next week, but none of it is scheduled yet. So go ahead with your available time and let's finish this up quick.
I'll send my tactics to Annah today or tomorrow.

What's your line up/strategy btw?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
We've never tried to replicate that Hungarian nationalteam at all, why do you think we're going to do it now?
Well...

Your last 2 picks are Czibor and Koscis so I'm assuming they'll play.
No way you are dropping Puskas or Eusebio, so they'll play.
Bozsik and Goncalves do not have replacements, so they'll play too
Going with 4 defenders kind makes for a weak midfield. So I though you'll for a 3 man back line (Matosas, Ramos and Maldini)

Czibor.....................Koscis
......Puskas...Eusebio........
............. ??? ...................
........Goncalves..Bozsik......
..Matosas..Ramos...Maldini...

Who will be the only midfielder left who'll play? What variations are possible in that?
4-2-3-1 is possible, but I highly doubt it!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well...

Your last 2 picks are Czibor and Koscis so I'm assuming they'll play.
They don't have to play 'em both, though. Czibor and Koscis, I mean.

Plus, would you play Koscis as a winger? His natural role would be that of Eusebio in your set-up, I reckon. Someone else on the wing.

Anyway, they have several players who can play the Hidegkuti role - if that is what they're going for. Zizinho can play there - or Eusebio for that matter - as a faux centre forward of sorts.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I hadn't thought so but a quick search reveals that @Nani Nana had him in the '60s draft. Looking forward to giving him some overdue credit here.
That draft of mine was astonishing but I was thrown out in 1st round

As a result I left RedCafe for ever

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Edgar Allan Pillow

Are you around? Do you want to start the match now? I'm not entirely sure, what time zone you live in and at what time you prefer to start the game.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Just woke up 3 minutes ago and checking if the match is on.

Go on and start it. I'll pitch in in a couple of hours once I get to work.
Shall we wait a few hours, so that you're online in the last few hours of the match tomorrow? I don't care.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

“The Beautiful Antonio” Antonio Cabrini
Cabrini is considered as the greatest full-back of the world during 1980s. Because of his popularity as a fascinating and good-looking football player, On the field, his technical and physical qualities made of him the most popular defender of the history of Italian football. Cabrini was almost a completed side-back, showing his world-class defensive and offensive quality but his right-foot was the only disadvantage that it was not rather useful in some occasions. But still, His left-foot was good enough to create many goals for his team especially scored 9 goals for Italy is the all-time record for Italian defender. He was one of the main players of Juventus in their glory era which was the most successful team in Italy. He was voted from www.channel4.com as a starter in Juventus all-time XI. Cabrini was voted in 13th and 14th Ballon'Dor in 1978 and 1983, respectively.

"The Divine Ponytail" Roberto Baggio
(credit to antohan Joga)
The dribbling ability, technique and vision he possessed bordered on obscene and were outrageous to say the least. Baggio was an artist on the pitch and had the ruthless efficiency to go with it. He was equally at home racking up assists and slotting the ball in the net. In the 452 Serie A matches he played, he scored 205 goals and 118 assists which is exceptional for a Second Striker/Playmaker. Of the 205 goals 96 were decisive, meaning that they were either equalisers or match winners. He also scored the most goals for Italy in the World Cup as well and is the only Italian to score in 3 WCs.

Baggio dragged Italy to the 1994 final. He scored the last-minute equaliser against Nigeria in the last-16, the late quarter-final winner against Spain and then tore Bulgaria apart in the semi-finals. In terms of match-winning influence in latter-stage games, there have been very few players who have matched Baggio’s in that World Cup. It remains one of the competition’s great individual displays, pity about the peno.

Roberto Baggio is considered one of Italy's greatest and most beloved players of all time. Gianni Brera, a famous Italian sports writer who had seen both the Italian Legends Giuseppe Meazza and Gianni Rivera play, stated that Baggio was the best and most talented Italian player he had ever seen.

Lotthar Matthäus
Named European Footballer of the Year and World Soccer Player of the Year after captaining West Germany to victory in the 1990 FIFA World Cup. One year later, he was also named the first ever FIFA World Player of the Year, and remains the only German to do so.
He has played in five FIFA World Cups (1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998) more than any other outfield player, and holds the record for the most World Cup matches played by a single player (25 games). He also won UEFA Euro 1980 and is the most capped German player of all time, retiring with a total of 150 appearances (83 for West Germany) in 20 years, and 23 goals for the German national team. Diego Maradona said about Matthäus "he is the best rival I've ever had. I guess that's enough to define him" in his book Yo soy el Diego (I am Diego). A versatile and complete player, Matthäus was renowned for his perceptive passing, positional sense, and well-timed tackling, as well as his explosive shot. During his career, he usually played as a box-to-box midfielder, although later in his career he played as a sweeper.

Jurgen Kohler
One of the greatest defenders of all time and easily the stand-out man-marker of the modern era. During a decorated career where he shone at all levels, it was under Trapattoni at Juventus he had the second-highest average rating of any Serie A player in 1991/92.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@harms I'm actually touched that you took the segment that I wrote myself and left out the part I plagiarized from the football pantheon website for the Baggio write up.:D

And I don't even get the credit for it. Damn you :mad:

Oh and there was another hyperlink for his goals somewhere in that write up which yours seems to be missing.

Great pick btw. Fantastic and a rather unfortunate player.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@harms I'm actually touched that you took the segment that I wrote myself and left out the part I plagiarized from the football pantheon website for the Baggio write up.:D

And I don't even get the credit for it. Damn you :mad:

Oh and there was another hyperlink for his goals somewhere in that write up which yours seems to be missing.

Great pick btw. Fantastic and a rather unfortunate player.
I stole the Baggio's one from this post, it came up first in the search. I didn't notice that it was yours originally, sorry :lol: Didn't bother much with player profiles this time - probably for the best, my English is still too rusty to make those things good enough.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The second game starts today, right? Should be a lot closer, really looking forward to it.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I stole the Baggio's one from this post, it came up first in the search. I didn't notice that it was yours originally, sorry :lol: Didn't bother much with player profiles this time - probably for the best, my English is still too rusty to make those things good enough.
NP mate

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
for me your team looks much stronger with a four (Cabrini-Gentile-Scirea-Bergomi) at the back anyway, so it's a no-brainer really for me. That defense is virtually impossible to argue against
:lol:

That would be a really interesting semi actually, or another Juve-AC Milan borefest for the final :nervous:
Not sure what I prefer, actually. Bela and Pep up against their very own Italian brick wall will make for two great semis, I think. But if said brick walls both withstand the assault, it could make for a less feisty final.
Let the borefest begin.