Manager draft

sajeev

There's still one missing pick, those hints are a bit too obvious, even though I'm sure crappy thought about all of them.
and yet people have gone after the more obvious.

yes there are a lot of obvious ones missing.

I think it would have been much better with each manager being limited to only on draft-player

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think it would have been much better with each manager being limited to only on draft-player
Not sure about that. We'll see how it pans out. The playerpool available for those 3 Italians is completely insane in my opinion, so I understand that they were picked twice.

MJJ

I think we should have had a time limit, like all players born after a certain date. There wont be that much competition in the snake part of the draft.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
So basically if Cutch stays the only one with SAF, all he needs is to get Ronaldo as first pick than the rest of his picks are uncontested aren't they? He can smoothly pick all of Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Rio, Vidic, Irwin without anyone to contest tem
Very much so unless someone goes for an unlikely manager. Anyone up for a laugh being Cloughie or Harry?

The downnside, as with most great British managers, is he doesn't have much room for upgrading bar a couple of Scotland '86 players.

antohan

Not sure about that. We'll see how it pans out. The playerpool available for those 3 Italians is completely insane in my opinion, so I understand that they were picked twice.
Indeed, that's why I suggested it, else it was going to be over before it started.

Annahnomoss

I think we should have had a time limit, like all players born after a certain date. There wont be that much competition in the snake part of the draft.
Up to each manager to decide what they think is fun. I am sure someone like Balu was well aware that Guttman would quite likely be uncontested and Cutch knew it about SAF.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It was tricky to strike the balance between a manager whose pool is initially strong enough to get through the first round but who offers enough room for upgrades to still be in contention come the final. There are a few managers who can boast an exceptional array of talent but won't get chosen because they don't fit both of those criteria.

antohan

Pretty sure he just misunderstood your post, otherwise we could just post best of squads without doing a snake draft.
The ability of draft managers to randomly misinterpret rules never ceases to amaze me.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I am here folks. Need some time though, rushing to office so you lot will need to wait an hour.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hm. In some cases it would seem as though the only way to genuinely reinforce in later rounds is to purposely leave out players in the initial draft round - and nobody wants to do that, it's just silly.

Tricky business - hard to maintain the nerve/momentum for some managers, I'd imagine.

Then again, it's hard to see how this can be avoided - unless there are restrictions on what managers can be chosen to begin with.

It's a brilliant concept for drafting a starting XI - but the reinforcement aspect does seem to pose a genuine problem.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Hm. In some cases it would seem as though the only way to genuinely reinforce in later rounds is to purposely leave out players in the initial draft round - and nobody wants to do that, it's just silly.

Tricky business - hard to maintain the nerve/momentum for some managers, I'd imagine.

Then again, it's hard to see how this can be avoided - unless there are restrictions on what managers can be chosen to begin with.

It's a brilliant concept for drafting a starting XI - but the reinforcement aspect does seem to pose a genuine problem.
It could have been interesting to pick 'assistant managers' after the quarter finals to increase the available playerpool and to avoid too big of a playerpool, come up with some weird restriction. For example the assistant manager has to be someone born in the same decade who worked in the same country but never won a league title.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
"until the reinforcement rounds(after the first match is won) - by then all players from the National teams who the manager managed, will as well be available." Just read this part. So with me picking Ancelotti I'm guessing that won't be possible for me?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It could have been interesting to pick 'assistant managers' after the quarter finals to increase the available playerpool and to avoid too big of a playerpool, come up with some weird restriction. For example the assistant manager has to be someone born in the same decade who worked in the same country but never won a league title.
Yep - something like that could certainly work.

It will lead to super teams, though - that's inevitable, really. The only players who will realistically be upgrades on the XIs you gents are capable of assembling from the outset - will be GOATs or close to that level. So, the assistant manager would have to be someone who has managed, well, a GOAT-ish player or two who would be genuine upgrades on what's already there.

EDIT Not GOATs - if by that we understand a small handful of the Maradona variety. But top, top players - world beaters, nothing less.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
"until the reinforcement rounds(after the first match is won) - by then all players from the National teams who the manager managed, will as well be available." Just read this part. So with me picking Ancelotti I'm guessing that won't be possible for me?
Unless assistant manager counts, I guess not. He was part of the coaching staff for Italy in '94 though, @Annahnomoss 's call.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Unless assistant manager counts, I guess not. He was part of the coaching staff for Italy in '94 though, @Annahnomoss 's call.
They could also make the lineups more adapatable per game, I don't think anyone will overhaul their XI with an AM, but I'd imagine that it would give people more depth and flexibility to change their approach

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
They could also make the lineups more adapatable per game, I don't think anyone will overhaul their XI with an AM, but I'd imagine that it would give people more depth and flexibility to change their approach
Yeah, that's true. I have about 5 ideas for an impact sub who gives me options and would welcome to have the possibility of a different tactical set-up in the second game, even though I probably won't be able to bring in an individual upgrade for any of the positions.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The Italian mob is equally split among 6 managers.
Raees will get the Tkik taka Galacticos!
Pep is the spanish/german hybrid, which leads to 2 on Lattek,

Paolo and Cutch would get mostly trouble free pick choices with LvG and SAF.
Trapattoni is an Italian/German mix

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Finally. Would be a shame if the greatest manager of all time went unpicked.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I know, so being the immensely talented manager that I am...I have made sure that immensely talented pool of Agbonlahor, Shaun Wright Phillips, Ledley King, Matthew Upson etc to choose from. Life's all roses!

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
01. Harms - Trapattoni
02. Stobzilla - Cappello
03. Jayvin - Ancelotti
04. Paolo - LVG
05. Skizzo - Udo Lattek
06. MJJ - Lippi
07. Joga Bonito - Udo Lattek
08. Balu - Béla Guttmann
09. Raees - Del Bosque
10. Cutch - Alex Ferguson
11. Gio - Trapattoni
12. EAP - Capello
13. TRV - Guardiola
14. DanNistelrooy - Ancelotti
15. Annah - Luxemburgo
16. Crappy - Rinus Michels

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Stobz replaced with Angelo.

01. Harms - Trapattoni
02. Angelo - Cappello
03. Jayvin - Ancelotti
04. Paolo - LVG
05. Skizzo - Udo Lattek
06. MJJ - Lippi
07. Joga Bonito - Udo Lattek
08. Balu - Béla Guttmann
09. Raees - Del Bosque
10. Cutch - Alex Ferguson
11. Gio - Trapattoni
12. EAP - Capello
13. TRV - Guardiola
14. DanNistelrooy - Ancelotti
15. Annah - Luxemburgo
16. Crappy - Rinus Michels

harms

Staff
Busby, Hitzfeld, Herrera, Sacchi (who is a plain cheat here), Muñoz, Heynkes, Cruyff are unpicked. I don't get it, really

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
My hipster pick would have been Manuel Fleitas. You would have got Di Stefano, Puskas, Zico, Didi, Gerson etc but, It would have been a hard time selling those greta Brazilians who only played a couple of games under him overall.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Busby, Hitzfeld, Herrera, Sacchi (who is a plain cheat here), Muñoz, Heynkes, Cruyff are unpicked. I don't get it, really
Picking Sacchi would be mental, when Capello had nearly the same yet far wider pool. Sacchi was my first choice before I decided Capello was better. Then moved over to Cryuff and Heynkes. Thought I was going for Cryuff, then seeing the one before me go for a share, wimped out and went for Capello.

harms

Staff
Picking Sacchi would be mental, when Capello had nearly the same yet far wider pool. Sacchi was my first choice before I decided Capello was better. Then moved over to Cryuff and Heynkes. Thought I was going for Cryuff, then seeing the one before me go for a share, wimped out and went for Capello.
Oh, maybe, I just dislike Capello so didn't research him properly - yes, they are overlapping.

Can't believe than nobody went for Munoz though.

Skizzo

Had a couple of those shortlisted. If I had a later pick, probably works have gone that way. .. didn't think we would be doubling up on so many managers.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I was fecking scared that crappy would go for Munoz and steal Puskas from me :lol: . That would have ruined my team.