Manchester City reports revenue of £570M for 20/21. A season without fans.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
4 year investigation? Something will happen. My only fear is Liverpool will be gifted a couple prems.

C'est Moi Cantona

They'll get a punishment, appeal it, win, then carry on as normal.

It's boring now, everyone knows what they are, which is why no one give a toss when they win anything.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
4 year investigation? Something will happen. My only fear is Liverpool will be gifted a couple prems.
To be fair we'd get 2 ourselves, Liverpool have only finished 2nd once under Klopp.

sparx99

I don't disagree but i wouldn't call winning it 3 times in the last 7 seasons domination. I'd say SAF dominated the league. Of course pep could have equaled that, but i guess we'll never know as he's stepping down supposedly.
One thing often overlooked is that despite winning so many titles Utd rarely ran away with it. We won the league under Fergie with points totals in the 70's and 80's for the most part. Our best-ever season under Fergie we got like 92/93pts after easing off a bit and playing the kids if I remember rightly. We didn't top 95pts year in year out. We didn't win the League Cup 4 years in a row or domestic trebles. Fergie used to talk about being able to lose 6 games in a season. That puts you a distant third now.

Domination comes in more than one form and fixating on just who won the league does a disservice to the level of competition.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Fix the structure of European football, that is the solution here. Like US pro sports.

Clubs will always be able to inject money one way or another if they want to.

The sport is dying as a spectacle currently, money is killing it.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
One thing often overlooked is that despite winning so many titles Utd rarely ran away with it. We won the league under Fergie with points totals in the 70's and 80's for the most part. Our best-ever season under Fergie we got like 92/93pts after easing off a bit and playing the kids if I remember rightly. We didn't top 95pts year in year out. We didn't win the League Cup 4 years in a row or domestic trebles. Fergie used to talk about being able to lose 6 games in a season. That puts you a distant third now.

Domination comes in more than one form and fixating on just who won the league does a disservice to the level of competition.
Why should we have run our players into the ground year in year out? You do what is necessary to win the league. Oil money and generally today’s money gives you deep squads where even most squad players are good/very good. Whereas back then the gap in quality between the first team and the bench was mostly clearly visible, a lot of times mostly our bench was made of academy players.
Give Fergie the bench City has today and I am sure he would have easily managed at least 2-3 wins more per season.
At the end you “only” win one trophy for the league win, regardless if you win it on goal difference or with a 20 points gap, or with whatever points.

Irrational.

City have been financially doping and cheating since the day they were taken over by Abu Dhabi. Players and management staff hadn’t even heard of them so required underhanded dodgy payments to make up for their irrelevance.

But as other posters have alluded to, nothing will happen. City can make any problem go away by throwing cash at it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
To be fair we'd get 2 ourselves, Liverpool have only finished 2nd once under Klopp.
I dont care about the 2 where we finished second after Fergie but I do care a damn about the one that was missed under Fergie (Aguero moment.

Fridge chutney

They should treat financial doping like they treat drug doping. But they won't.

No one really cares about City because they are so plastic. Everything they have achieved has a huge asterisk.

Kind of sucks for Liverpool. They would have cleaned up the past few years.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

No one really cares about City because they are so plastic. Everything they have achieved has a huge asterisk.

I don't know. If City weren't around, might the landscape of English football look a little different? Like, where does Pep end up after Bayern? Where do all the supremely talented players like Aguero, Silva, Yaya etc end up? Who wins the titles in 2012 and 2014, how would those title wins alter the trajectory of said club? Who wins all the domestic cups City have won, and how might those wins alter the trajectory of those clubs? Does Wenger ever get hounded out Arsenal? Does Mourinho remain at United?

I don't think you take City out of the equation and expect the rest of the story to remain the same.

Last edited:

RoyH1

City will lawyer up massively and end up with a tiny slap on the wrist. UEFA and FIFA want oil money in the game so they can line their coffers. They don’t care where it’s coming from

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Fix the structure of European football, that is the solution here. Like US pro sports.

Clubs will always be able to inject money one way or another if they want to.

The sport is dying as a spectacle currently, money is killing it.
It's impossible, they say (it's not, I just have not seized power yet)

So if parity isn't possible, I say open the floodgates and let money flood the game until it's completely meaningless

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
We are talking about a sport that's willingly hosting a world cup in Qatar. In fact, they were more than happy to feck over in-season schedules and host it in the winter, breaking the summer world cup tradition. For Qatar. Broken sport.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

3 more leagues apiece for us and them if they strip them of their titles due to blatant cheating? We’ve won the league twice in the last 4 years. Well done everyone :lol:

Pearl.Jam

These threads, although admirable in their intentions are absolutely useless..

Feck all will happen ever to the Berties, even though every man and his loyal Staffie knows they’re a wee bit corrupt…what’s the fvcking point!!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
3 more leagues apiece for us and them if they strip them of their titles due to blatant cheating? We’ve won the league twice in the last 4 years. Well done everyone :lol:
Imagine Mourinho's football heritage then.

united_99

A lot of people including Liverpool fans keep saying this. That they are unlucky because they are facing Pep. Whereas in the real world since Pep came to England Liverpool have finished 2nd only once so far whereas United (despite not being in a title race) finished 2nd twice.

sparx99

Why should we have run our players into the ground year in year out? You do what is necessary to win the league. Oil money and generally today’s money gives you deep squads where even most squad players are good/very good. Whereas back then the gap in quality between the first team and the bench was mostly clearly visible, a lot of times mostly our bench was made of academy players.
Give Fergie the bench City has today and I am sure he would have easily managed at least 2-3 wins more per season.
At the end you “only” win one trophy for the league win, regardless if you win it on goal difference or with a 20 points gap, or with whatever points.
I’m not sure I was suggesting we ran players into the ground in pursuit of points but it does seem a shame that we don’t hold many of the record tallies. My broader point was even our best teams felt more beatable than City or Liverpool do currently. That’s despite the money across the league being more prevalent. We get sold an idea that the league is more competitive than ever yet I’m not sure there is any evidence of that at all. Maybe there is a bigger middle class of teams but that doesn’t mean the league title race is any closer.

I’m loving my life

How were they allowed to even get to this point? It’s an absolute joke. Mirrored by the Tories continual pisstaking of the electorate. Money talks, and everyone else can take a running jump.

It took a war to get Chelsea stripped of their corrupt owner, and they still ‘own’ the titles they bought whilst coincidentally destroying football.

City and any other sports washing project can officially get away with anything in plain sight as long as it brings money to the right people. There is no real competition anymore.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ole would have more Premier League wins than Stevie G as both player and manager :drool:

united_99

I’m not sure I was suggesting we ran players into the ground in pursuit of points but it does seem a shame that we don’t hold many of the record tallies. My broader point was even our best teams felt more beatable than City or Liverpool do currently. That’s despite the money across the league being more prevalent. We get sold an idea that the league is more competitive than ever yet I’m not sure there is any evidence of that at all. Maybe there is a bigger middle class of teams but that doesn’t mean the league title race is any closer.
Winning the league 3 times in a row or defending the title several times is a more important record to me than running away with the league.
And winning the league with more points doesn’t necessarily mean a better league or team, mostly actually the opposite.

Take our seasons in 1998/99 and 1999/2000 for example. We only lost 3 league games in both seasons, but had a lot of draws in 1998/99. In that season we only got 79 points, Arsenal finished only 1 point behind and Chelsea only 4 points behind. Even the bottom 5 teams gained a lot of points.
Whereas in 1999/2000 we mostly won the league in 2nd gear with 91 points and 18 points gap to 2nd place.
Now were we a better team in the 91 points season? Nope! The league was more competitive in 1998/99.

I also remember the weakened teams we put out against Chelsea for example in 2006/07 after winning the league or against West Ham when Warnock cried because West Ham won and stayed up. I am sure if we had the likes of Sterling/Laporte/Mahrez etc. on the bench we would have played them instead.

Same with league cups. League title is the much bigger trophy, if your squad is not deep in quality you can’t afford to play your better players in all cup games.

Barnslig

Everyone knows they're crooked, nothing ever gets done. It never will.
This, coupled with the likes of Qatari WC is the reason I am falling out of love with football (and other major sports as well, tbh). Who wouldve thought letting state regimes run football clubs would be a good idea, with Newcastle coming up shortly as well, it makes me want to stop giving any money to the PL for failing to take action for this many years.