Manchester City reports revenue of £570M for 20/21. A season without fans.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They're dirty as feck and a disgrace.

The Premier League will always allow this though to keep the money rolling in.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
There sponsors are UAE companies. Its basically thier owners shifting mone
Just ban ownership by state owned investment funds or publicly owned companies. You're either a privately owned club or owned by your fans/members, or a combination of both. Nation states have no business owning football clubs in foreign countries for self aggrandisement.

This is so true. The term is 'sports washing' where dodgy countries invest in popular sport to buy reputation in a strategic country. The UAE's sponsorship of Man City is part of their diplomatic strategy to establish ties with the West and get validation. Saudi Arabia are doing the same with Newcastle. Khashoggi who, ive just spend tens of millions in the Tyne area doing up the surrounding infrastructure about St James Park

The fit and proper persons test should ban all sovereign funds, because how can you be fit and proper if you are spending money on a football team? Using the public purse to cover a footballers wages. Its not like the local populace can complain as the UAE and Saudi Arabia are dictatorships. which in itself should be disqualifying.

There is also the problem of self dealing. City's owners using national industry to sponsor Man City to get around the FFP laws. UAE airlines, and other UAE owned industry always sponsor Man City well above market rate. I dont think they have an independent sponsor.

There are some City fans who simply believe they are a 'well run club'. These fans are in total denial about the level of handout they receive.

Tarrou

I think it's interesting that these stories come out of a foreign outlet

a reporter friend of mine once told me if a journalist wasn't sure if they should release a story in the UK from a legal stand-point, they would deliberately leak it to a foreign outlet, and then just report on that outlet reporting it

wouldn't surprise me if UK publications were scared to report this stuff, for fear of ending up in court with City's expensive lawyers

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Yawn. Nothing will ever be done against City. Watch Newcastle tear it up with cash in the next two years. Money is king. I would say in the next decade another 6 PL teams could be owned by Middle East.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I think it's interesting that these stories come out of a foreign outlet

a reporter friend of mine once told me if a journalist wasn't sure if they should release a story in the UK from a legal stand-point, they would deliberately leak it to a foreign outlet, and then just report on that outlet reporting it

wouldn't surprise me if UK publications were scared to report this stuff, for fear of ending up in court with City's expensive lawyers
Nah, sports journalism in the UK is a cesspit, can't remember City ever getting much bad press due the way City treated them, in fact I remember journos raving about the food City put out at press conferences when Uniteds were crap.

Sports journos know getting info from certain clubs themselves basically does their job for them, why risk being an actual journalist having to investigate and find a story when you can have stories handed to you on a plate.

Tarrou

Nah, sports journalism in the UK is a cesspit, can't remember City ever getting much bad press due the way City treated them, in fact I remember journos raving about the food City put out at press conferences when Uniteds were crap.

Sports journos know getting info from certain clubs themselves basically does their job for them, why risk being an actual journalist having to investigate and find a story when you can have stories handed to you on a plate.
I think we're talking about different things? I'm referring to the legal implications of breaking a story like this, not the overall state of sports journalism in the UK

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I think we're talking about different things? I'm referring to the legal implications of breaking a story like this, not the overall state of sports journalism in the UK
Ah yes, my mistake, I though your post mentioned a sports journalist friend.

Apologies.

RoyH1

You’re spot on. I remember reading about this before. Germany has much better conditions for breaking a story like this. You cannot bury a journalist legally in the same way you can do in the UK/US

sangria

There sponsors are UAE companies. Its basically thier owners shifting mone

This is so true. The term is 'sports washing' where dodgy countries invest in popular sport to buy reputation in a strategic country. The UAE's sponsorship of Man City is part of their diplomatic strategy to establish ties with the West and get validation. Saudi Arabia are doing the same with Newcastle. Khashoggi who, ive just spend tens of millions in the Tyne area doing up the surrounding infrastructure about St James Park

The fit and proper persons test should ban all sovereign funds, because how can you be fit and proper if you are spending money on a football team? Using the public purse to cover a footballers wages. Its not like the local populace can complain as the UAE and Saudi Arabia are dictatorships. which in itself should be disqualifying.

There is also the problem of self dealing. City's owners using national industry to sponsor Man City to get around the FFP laws. UAE airlines, and other UAE owned industry always sponsor Man City well above market rate. I dont think they have an independent sponsor.

There are some City fans who simply believe they are a 'well run club'. These fans are in total denial about the level of handout they receive.
And let's not forget about the double salaries. Mancini got paid more for 4 days per year of "consultancy work" in the UAE than he was officially paid as City manager. You can assume all the other employees, players and managers alike, are the same. Look at the figures they've declared, double it, and you're getting close to the real figures. Non-state-owned clubs can't afford it even with cooking the books, but it's nothing to City, as the UAE government will just shift money from elsewhere in their holdings.

For that, you get City fans making excuses for the UAE sentencing a woman to death for using drugs, and anything else the UAE does.

Dr. StrangeHate

Quite poor from Pep this
City bought Pep's brother a club to play with. No one in their right mind would let go of this much money for the sake of financial rules/laws. The humans right part is the only thing that would affect some people and forbid them to accept such money.
Considering Pep doesn't care about human rights abuses, expecting him to care about arbitrary financial rules which change often isn't reasonable.