Kick-off
Sun, 3 March 2024 @ 3:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RedIan

That kind of bench is usually what we will see for the league cup. Never expect that for a Derby against city after spending tons of money for past years.
    its called injuries. - Hojlund ,Martial, Martinez , Maguire, AWB Shaw, Malacia, Mount all crocked.

On the bench Anthony £90 mil Amad £37mil Erikson. Amrabat.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    I would classify myself as a pretty diehard fan. I spend a significant amount of my time posting on a Manchester United message board. I could walk past most our bench in the street and simply not recognise them
    After spending so much money on transfers, how have we ended up in this situation?
    The people responsible for transfers should be replaced quickly, as they are simply incompetent.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    I hope Rashford is not playing striker, but ETH has no creative mind so I expect him there. We'll play him there every match until he scores and then claim it works.
    There is no other option unless he actually wants to do McTominay up top.

Shouts for Bruno as a false 9 are laughable, Bruno has 0 hold up play and can't run with the ball, he is horribly suited to that role.

IncyWincySpider

I don’t even know who two of the players on the bench are. Look forward to seeing them play though.

Godfather

What are we doing in training to have this many injuries on a constant level. Ridiculous.

SAFMUTD

We're getting spanked, anything below 3-0 would be a good result

pocco

loco
    Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Lindelof vs Doku or Foden is a complete mismatch. Does not matter which side he's on. He's getting destroyed either way.
    Lindelof on the same side as Ake might be an option, as he offers less threat than Walker in attack, so our winger can help him out a bit more. Only problem is it would mean moving Dalot out of position too.

One option today is to go with a 442 type formation when not in possession, with McTominay, Bruno, Mainoo and Casemiro across midfield, something Simeone has done in the past. Then give Rashford and Garnacho a bit of freedom to move across the front line and look for balls in behind. They'd have to work hard to run the channels out wide though to give our defensive players an option down the line when City press us into wide areas, otherwise we'll be lumping the ball straight back to them.

Dudu

Don't concede early. Keep it 0-0 as long as possible.

Counter attack where possible.

Oh boy. Not looking forward to this..

Yanited__

I think that team is one of the best Ten Hag could've picked for the game.

Only qualm is Lindelof at LB. Then again, we don't have another LB fit. Could've picked Amrabat but he's not really been lighting it up.

He's packed the midfield with Casemiro/McTominay/Mainoo (good), Bruno is out of position but again will drop back into midfield to make us compact to play against (good). Rashford and Garnacho as outlets. Only missing the target man option (Hojlund) and I'd be even more confident.

We keep this tight and we'll get chances on the break. Got this feeling we're winning today. 3-2 like 2017/18.

lex talionis

Imagine if the following players had come through as expected, no collapse or extraneous issues:

Martial
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Antony
    Greenwood
    Bruno

We could actually have a conversation about possibly beating City today and competing for the PL trophy.

RG77

Supports
    Real Madrid
    We're getting spanked, anything below 3-0 would be a good result
    To be fair, you somehow managed a draw against Liverpool where most people expected something similar. Who knows.

EtH seemingly parking the bus with that setup and try to hit them on the counter.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    All the nine year old trolls weeded out. Sit back and enjoy the game … and the thread. Come on Manchester United

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    its called injuries. - Hojlund ,Martial, Martinez , Maguire, AWB Shaw, Malacia, Mount all crocked.
    And why are so many of our players getting injured?
    Is it that we are buying players who have an injury-prone body or is it something we are doing with our players?
    I don't know the answer but I would guess we are buying players who are not injury resistant.
    This is the reason why when buying players we need to assess their injury history.

On the bench Anthony £90 mil Amad £37mil Erikson. Amrabat.
    Anthony - useless
    Amad - he is still very young and most likely, won't make it at MUFC. He'll probably be sold to another club and we won't hear about him again.
    Erikson - He is only in his early 30s, but for some reason plays like he's in his late 30s. I guess some people age quicker than others. He can give us 30-60 mins, but he isn't great.
    Amrabat - useless.

LDUred

Thought he would have played Amrabat. It just looks too lightweight in midfield aside from Case for a tough away game. You need more players with ball winning skills and strength in 50 50s.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira

Shouts for Bruno as a false 9 are laughable, Bruno has 0 hold up play and can't run with the ball, he is horribly suited to that role.
    Why not try McT up top? It can't be any worse and with Rashford on the left you might get a lively performance. In addition, Garnacho has been better on the right than the left overall.

justsomebloke

This lineup seems so overwhelmingly unlikely to turn out good that you almost begin to feel it will.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
    Supports
    Football
    The look at the first 11 lineup is bad enough, but it’s the look at the bench that kills you…

United Hobbit

I'd try McT as striker, he goes MiA in midfield, and can at least score the odd goal, so play to his strengths, and play to those of Rashford and Garnacho, keeping them in their proper positions as wingers

Talking of Rashy, he'd better put in effort this game if I see him lose the ball and strolling about it's going to give me the rage.

I don't think we will win, but the absolute bare minimum I want to see is work rate

erikcred

To be fair, you somehow managed a draw against Liverpool where most people expected something similar. Who knows.

EtH seemingly parking the bus with that setup and try to hit them on the counter.
    They were ridiculously complacent. Expected to score every ten minutes and got frustrated when they didn't. Pep would've learnt from that.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Worried about this one, hopefully Ten Hag has something good planned for this.

mu4c_20le

I cant remember us ever doing well with three midfielders and no wingers. A back 5 would have made more sense imo, but im sure gaffer knows best

Ekeke

Why not try McT up top? It can't be any worse and with Rashford on the left you might get a lively performance. In addition, Garnacho has been better on the right than the left overall.
    I would say its worth trying because of our injuries but in general why it might not work is that for plenty of McTom's goals hes arriving late in the box or as an extra man that hasnt been picked up because he's not the striker. So if you then play him as the striker he's going to be the one being marked and someone else would have to arrive where he normally gets his chances. It remains to be seen if thats the case and in terms of general striker play like holding up the ball played up to him, he might do a better job than Rashford so yeah give it a go and see what happens. Rashford can still run in behind the defence from the left so you're not really missing that part where he's clearly a much better option than McTominay

Kammy26

Does anyone else feel like not even watching this match?

It’s happened to me a handful of times. Usually in the second season of every manager since SAF.

Man this club has sucked the soul out of me.. I’m a shell of the fan I used to be hahahaha.

RedIan

Nothing is expected of us today, we are very strong underdogs…
    can only hope we surprise everyone. Highly Unlikely but i cling to hope.
    once city are 2-0 up in 15 minutes the hope evaporates.

SAFMUTD

There's not one single player from our squad that would be in their starting XI, plus even their bench looks better than our starting line up.

It's depressing how far apart we are.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Amad in the hole was my preference, but I also wanted Amrabat playing alongside Casemiro and Mainoo. But we all knew none of that would happen.

AndySmith1990

How can a club spend so much and end up with such a rubbish squad? It's so bad you'd think it were sabotage from scousers who have infiltrated the club

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw