Manchester United 0:1 Atletico Madrid (Sat 30th July, 12:45 UK time)

Walters_19_MuFc

Elanga? Ffs
Who else did you expect? ten Hag has been playing his wingers high and wide. Other than Elanga, Rashford and Sancho, who is unavailable for this game, we have no one else. I guess Pellistri fits the profile of player, but Elanga is obviously higher in the pecking order than he is. This is why its imperative we add at least two attacking players to our squad.

Dazzmondo

Whats going on with Pellistri? Is it because he's likely to be loaned out? Because I'd take him easily over Elanga
ETH sees them in training. Pellistri and Amad obviously aren't performing as well as Elanga. The reality is none of them are good enough to even be squad players for us right now. We have nobody who should be playing any mins outside of our starting front 3.

Probably the lineup we will see against Brighton so, except probably Sancho to start. I must say that at the end of last season, I thought this would be the last time we would see Lindelof + Maguire and McFred starting.

Dazzmondo

You know the transfer window has been great when you still start with McFred in the midfield and Maguire and Lindeløf in defence.
No complaining you negative nancy! Only excessive positivity on this forum!

Acole9

Outstanding
Christ. Cancel culture in full flow eh? Questioning a players ability = scapegoating and toxicity
Who said anything about cancel culture. He's a young player who had a decent season last year and still finding his way in the game. Why not support him rather than coming out with the usual old guff.

Acquire Me

Christ. Cancel culture in full flow eh? Questioning a players ability = scapegoating and toxicity
I agree. It must be allowed to be unsure if a player is ready to play right now. His a young lad and tbh I think he would do good with a loan where he can play regularly. That said, I like him and rate him, just find him a bit light weight from time to time.

AndyMUFC

Eriksen and Martinez to come on for 20 minutes today and play an hour tomorrow I reckon
I think we are going to get Lindelof/Maguire and McFred starting against Brighton though if they're not ready, which shows our struggles in the transfer market.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I actually don't mind seeing these games with the likes of Lindelof, Maguire, Fred, McTominay and Elanga playing.

The better we look with a team populated with often disparaged players, the more hope I have for how much we'll improve with additional quality added on top.

In other words these games are showing us what early improvements we're getting from just being better coached. It's interesting.

El Jefe

Moaning about Elanga when he was one of the brighter ones last season. The mind boggles
Elanga wouldn't be in the matchday squad for any of our rivals. There's nothing to boggle the mind if you take your United bias away. He's not good enough.

jameyzane

Give your head a wobble if you think Elanga was good enough last season. Average at best and should have been sent on loan.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I actually don't mind seeing these games with the likes of Lindelof, Maguire, Fred, McTominay and Elanga playing.

The better we look with a team populated with often disparaged players, the more hope I have for how much we'll improve with additional quality added on top.

In other words these games are showing us what early improvements we're getting from just being better coached. It's interesting.
I agree with this. Although we haven’t really been tested properly in pre-season, so if we see a performance like the second half against Villa then it will really bring home what a terrible job we’ve done of beefing up our squad for the new manager. Which will be depressing as hell.

Red00012

Eriksen and Martinez to come on for 20 minutes today and play an hour tomorrow I reckon
I think we are going to get Lindelof/Maguire and McFred starting against Brighton though if they're not ready, which shows our struggles in the transfer market.
Absolutely no chance

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Whilst it’s obviously not as exciting as seeing the new guys and I can understand the disappointment with this line up, I do think it is interesting to see Erik basically picking last years team in these games. I find it encouraging that we are seeing improvements in our play and we are still to add some exciting players into the mix. Bodes well.

Fooza

Today doesn't matter, but come start of the season and we don't get results, it's going to get so bad

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Varane injured again? We are never going to get the best out of him and have him starting every week are we? As much as I don't like Maguire at least he is nearly always fit to play.

I take it Martinez is behind Lindelof and Maguire fitness wise due to less pre season, being the reason he isn't starting today and will start tomorrow instead?

Is Shaw injured?

We still need another attacker, because my biggest worry going into next season is Elanga starting when one of the following gets injured; Martial Rashford, Sancho or Ronaldo (if he stays).

James35

Expected the new guy’s to start but regardless we do really have a weak squad. Should be good enough to get us 6th though.

Hopefully we don’t see Bruno subbed for Eriksen, as hoping ETH will play him deeper and play instead of McTominay.

Maybe Sancho will start tomorrow if well? This line up against Brighton though I’d be worried.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What the feck has happened in here :lol:

Some people need to step away from their phones/keyboards and get a grip!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Varane injured again? We are never going to get the best out of him and have him starting every week are we? As much as I don't like Maguire at least he is nearly always fit to play.

I take it Martinez is behind Lindelof and Maguire fitness wise due to less pre season, being the reason he isn't starting today and will start tomorrow instead?

Is Shaw injured?

We still need another attacker, because my biggest worry going into next season is Elanga starting when one of the following gets injured; Martial Rashford, Sancho or Ronaldo (if he stays).
Yep. ETH said most of the players today need to play 90min because it's the last game before the real thing starts and Martinez/Eriksen aren't ready for 90min yet.