Manchester United are being left behind in youth development - Andy Mitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

datura

The big question is, what is the club doing to correct these shortcomings ??

Is there a plan to improve the youth system ?

IIRC, LVG said that he was asked to improve the Academy when he was appointed.
Moyes apparently was looking to overhaul the academy too. I would guess the replacement of McClair critical. Would hope for an experienced person maybe with an ex player helping him to give some succession planning.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

Ringo 07

It's very hard to bring players through no matter how good your academy is but with Timothy Fosu Mensah coming through you feel there is at least one player that can make the grade.......Callum Gribbon looks great but there's been many like him over the years that looked nailed on and didn't make the grade like Lee Martin, Ravel, Fraizer Campbell, Tunnicliffe etc Van Gaal is the right man to revamp the youth system though

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think it's just part of a cycle. SAF's initial redevelopment of the youth structure gave us a crop of great young players in the 90s. By 2000 that structure needed updating and Meulensteen was hired to help with the younger ones. It's time for a revamp/relaunch with whatever now constitutes best practice.

To do it, we may need to buy in, if not a DoF then a DoYouthFootball and it may take more than just a budget change to hire a few more local scouts or better coaches. I don't think it's a conscious act by United to let it fall behind other clubs, rather it's the lack of strong voices, ideally ones who know what other clubs in Europe are doing, in the youth management structure.

AkaAkuma

I think that’s being a bit kind to us, to be honest. The likes of Giggs, Beckham and Scholes were all technically in the youth development stages of their careers just over 20 years ago now, with Beckham and Scholes largely starting to get some first team chances at that point. We had a golden era at that point, but it’s our utter failure since then which is quite worrying.

The likes of O’Shea, Fletcher and Brown were all great servants and offered a lot to us, but they were often squad players, and weren’t really world class as such. Again, Welbeck is a decent player, but he’s not top class. If he was, we wouldn’t have sold him. He’s done nothing to make it look like getting rid of him was a bad idea, either.

Granted, the Premier League has been fairly poor in general with youth development, but that’s not something we should really use to defend our own development. Chelsea, for example, have been the 2nd most successful English club behind us in the past 10 years, but their record is absolutely horrendous. If we’re having to use them to defend our own poor record, then something’s gone wrong.

Other top clubs like Barca and Bayern have shown that it is possible to build a side with top youth prospects in them. Barca are the most successful example, and Bayern follow behind them. Obviously it’s difficult to emulate that, but we need to make a better effort than we currently are.
I think your missing my point.

Using the last 20 years as a sample shows that elite English & foreign clubs have primarily had to use the transfer market to create their teams. Occasionally a club will get a rich crop of youth players, but on the whole its not a consistent return on investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.