Manchester United charged with failing to control players against Newcastle - Klopp charged too. Blames the wind.

mu4c_20le

That's not how VAR works though, they're constantly checking everything. We just don't hear about it until they ask the referee to stop play to give them more time to analyse an incident or to tell him to go to the monitor. To say VAR wouldn't have checked that handball without us approaching the referee is just plainly false.
This is what they want you to believe

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The thing is, if our players don't surround the ref when he's made a blatant error, then we run the risk of VAR ignoring it. You saw it with the blatant foul on Mctominay vs Palace (a) that wasn't given as a penalty. If our players had surrounded the ref after Mctominay went down then I guarantee VAR would've spent longer looking at the incident.

This all circles back to the incompetency of the refs on the pitch and at Stockley Park. If they did their jobs properly then none of this would be an issue.

RedDevil@84

Haven't a few clubs done the same thing and nothing happened? Thinking City v us went mad Didn't they?
It doesn't matter what Liverpool or City do. FA doesn't care about what they do. They can headbutt the ref and get away with it.

JB7

To be fair they've got us bang to rights with this charge. There's a good five or six of our players surrounding the ref. Not to shit on Maguire but in those situations he should be pulling our players back - he's the only one who is allowed to actually discuss these decisions with the ref anyway.

Having said all of that; you can see an identical situation like this every single week but I won't be surprised if nothing happens to whichever team does it next.
Literally the other end of the pitch until the ref was already surrounded by 4/5 players. When he got there he put himself between the other players and the ref. What do you suppose he do, go full Stretch Armstrong to move the players away before he arrived on the scene?

PSV

Also is "quarter of a dozen" a translation of some Norwegian say of saying three or what's going on there? :lol:
Sounds more Danish than Norwegian. I've never heard it before.

For what it's worth I think the charge is okay. What Sancho and Antony is doing is fine, but look at Wout's arms. If someone threw their arms around that close to my face that's a casus belli.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Also is "quarter of a dozen" a translation of some Norwegian say of saying three or what's going on there? :lol:
No, I was going to write 'they had about dozen players players sent off' but thought quarter of a dozen was more accurate :lol:

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
No, I was going to write 'they had about dozen players players sent off' but thought quarter of a dozen was more accurate :lol:
:lol:

(ps. thread title change could be handy here)

Andy_Cole

The thing is, I guess, is that the players should know that VAR is going to check an incident like that. Surrounding the referee doesn't change that. I repeat though, what we did on Sunday is no worse than 99% of these incidences.
Wrong
Thing is that if there is no complaint, VAR often doesn't actually check.
Correct
That's not how VAR works though, they're constantly checking everything. We just don't hear about it until they ask the referee to stop play to give them more time to analyse an incident or to tell him to go to the monitor. To say VAR wouldn't have checked that handball without us approaching the referee is just plainly false.
Wrong again. They’re feckin idiots and only take notice if players kick off.

Nick7

Fair enough, only caught the Mitro and Silva charges the other day. Still it's wildly inconsistent when other teams get away with this every week.
They don't. These charges have been incredibly common this season.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Who cares?

Stop with this whole idea that we’re being picked on.

The players won’t ever stop doing it, which I’m fine with but genuinely, who cares if we get charged for this?
It builds a narrative on referees eyes we're wrong and makes them less likely to give us decisions. Luke Shaw said himself, a referee said to him once he can't give the penalty because people will talk about it after.

Looks what's happened since the Bruno goal v City. At least half a dozen decisions not gone our way, game changing decisions, because of how much that was spoken about. This charge adds to it.

And the worst thing is, others do the same and don't get charged. It happens regularly enough.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Literally the other end of the pitch until the ref was already surrounded by 4/5 players. When he got there he put himself between the other players and the ref. What do you suppose he do, go full Stretch Armstrong to move the players away before he arrived on the scene?
Did he though? Seemed like he was just joining in with the argument as far as I can see.

It's not his fault though, they were all doing it. Which is exactly why we've got in trouble.

K Stand Knut

It builds a narrative on referees eyes we're wrong and makes them less likely to give us decisions. Luke Shaw said himself, a referee said to him once he can't give the penalty because people will talk about it after.

Looks what's happened since the Bruno goal v City. At least half a dozen decisions not gone our way, game changing decisions, because of how much that was spoken about. This charge adds to it.

And the worst thing is, others do the same and don't get charged. It happens regularly enough.
So, it’s always happened!!! And will probably continue to happen.

We aren’t hard done by and if people want it to stop happening, Ten Hag needs to deal with it in-house.

This one is indefensible and we shouldn’t be surrounding the referee like we do but players will do it because it’s human nature and I don’t mind it. If the referees were competent, it wouldn’t happen

This idea that rhe FA pick on us is very small-time. I’d expect it from clubs like city, who unsurprisingly go on about it all the time; every time they are accused of breaking a rule.

RuudTom83

This season more than most seem to be a terrible advert for the standard of referring in England.

Pixel fecking the life out of the live games, only for the outcome to be inconsistency and bizarre ruling.

48 hours

Someone has to fund the FAs Christmas bonus…and Easter bonus, summer bonus, Monday bonus

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s a joke how we always get fined. What do they expect us to do roll over and do nothing when we constantly get shite decisions against us! I’ve seen city players surround the ref loads of times and nothing gets happened. Same with klopp he gets away with murder. And arteta mocked the ref… did anything happen?

lex talionis

Footballers get away with too much harassment of the referee. A serious conversation needs to happen with the various league governing bodies to address this. To me the answer is pretty straightforward, but would require a significant change in what is punished and how it’s punished.

caid

Footballers get away with too much harassment of the referee. A serious conversation needs to happen with the various league governing bodies to address this. To me the answer is pretty straightforward, but would require a significant change in what is punished and how it’s punished.
They could just enforce the rule. Consistently. They wont, they'll pick the odd high profile game (ie every match were involved in) and punish randomly

Doracle

It’s really weird. I’ve honestly no idea what he’s complaining about.
Maybe he didn’t see the red card the ref brandished to Mitrovic and thought he’d got away with it? Only thing I can think of. Seems to lose interest pretty quickly, probably when the ref says he has actually sent him off.

lex talionis

They could just enforce the rule. Consistently. They wont, they'll pick the odd high profile game (ie every match were involved in) and punish randomly
They could just enforce the rule, but a yellow card is a nothing penalty and a red card + going down to 10 men is too harsh. My proposal is to give a player who crosses the line with a ref a straight red but allow the manager to bring in a new player for that red-carded player -- but make that "substitution" count against the 5 sub limit. That would tamp down dissent without risking giving the other team too much of an advantage by virtue of that team going to 10 men.

stevoc

A much better standard of refereeing would help also.

Edwards6

Same thing happened twice in the England game tonight, it also happens all the time in the Premier league but there's no consistency in clubs getting charged every time. The ref gave a corner when there was a clear handball on the goal line do they really expect players not to protest such an obvious mistake?