Manchester United Hospital

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Manchester United hope new medical centre will help address their recent injury problems

The facility is expected to fast-track Sir Alex Ferguson’s players back to fitness and ensure quicker, and more private, injury diagnosis on site rather than rely on nearby hospitals.

The medical centre, which will be supplied with CT and MRI scanners and other cutting-edge equipment as part of a five-year agreement with the Japanese company Toshiba, is set to be the first of its kind in the Premier League, with Manchester United planning to emulate the physiological and sports science benefits enjoyed by AC Milan at their world-renowned Milanello complex.

Research carried out at the end of last season by the sports injury website physioroom.com showed that United suffered the worst injury list in the Premier League during the 2011-12 campaign, with the club suffering 39 significant problems – those lasting for at least two weeks – which amounted to a total 1,681 days lost to injury by Sir Alex Ferguson’s squad.

In comparison, champions Manchester City suffered just seven significant injuries, costing Roberto Mancini’s squad a total of 186 days lost to injury.

United manager Ferguson issued a staunch defence of the club’s medical team last season following criticism from former midfielder Owen Hargreaves over his treatment during lengthy injury problems, with the Scot insisting “some of the best sports medical staff in world sport” are employed at Old Trafford.

But with United believing the club has now outgrown the existing medical facilities at Carrington, which opened in July 2000, plans were drawn and approved last year to build the new complex.

United have cited the rapid advancements in sports science and medicine and Ferguson’s demand for the club to possess a competitive advantage in the field of rehabilitation and fitness as the justification for the medical centre.

Having targeted an opening date at the end of 2012 for the centre, United are now planning for it to open its doors in two months.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...elp-address-their-recent-injury-problems.html

Chabon

Dave is convinced that Tevez fecking off for half a season to play Golf because he's a twat counts as a serious injury.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Where is it located? Inside Carrington?

Bread

I wonder if you will have to opt in for check ups at the start of the season if you want to apply for prescriptions.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If there's an intensive therapy unit they should dedicate it to Owen Hargreaves.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Or we have been doing something very wrong!

My Italian colleague who is from and lives and breathes AC Milan credits there medical facility, noted in the article in he OP, as the key reason why Milan players manage to continue playing en masse way into their mid 30s.

I think its great as its an investment that SAF will not necessarily benefit from, but long after he is sadly gone, the club will continue to benefit from his legacy. If players like DDG, Welbeck, Cleverley, Jones etc are able to fulfil their potential and become Manchester United quality players, as long as they look after themselves and keep away from the beer and pies, they can look forward to very very long careers.

Giggs would probably have lasted until he is 45 had he benefitted from the future of sports medicine which will be practiced in a facility like this.

Crustanoid

Tbf our injuries have been on a ridiculous scale for a few seasons now in comparison to other clubs. I guess that what comes of putting Phelan in charge of our Medical division

Denis' cuff

one or two seasons bad injuries can be put down to bad luck but we've had at least three bad seasons and this one isn't shaping up much better - about time they've tried to do something about it. Will it be the same staff with new equipment? Can we trade our "best medical staff in the world" for Wigan's and throw in Bebe?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's really a very odd situation. Every bloody season we have some sort of injury crisis. Whether Carrick in defense or Rooney in midfield, it's gotten ridiculous.

Denis' cuff

There was actually a league table of injuries for clubs, which I can't find. I'm pretty sure we were bottom and Ciddy top.

Devilton

At some point you have to look at our training methods and question what we're doing with our midfielders and defenders that they keep dropping like flies every single season.

Donut

How will the bestest hospital help? Maybe it can shorten the recovery time, but the actual injuries are surely due to the training methods or just pure bad luck.

Traub

How will the bestest hospital help? Maybe it can shorten the recovery time, but the actual injuries are surely due to the training methods or just pure bad luck.
But maybe we are getting players to train when they have small knocks of which we are unaware etc. There are definitely preventative measures available through monitoring of players.

Claymore

Right now we have a bit of an injury epidemic like Newcastle hadnunder Glenn Roeder. We've got a big squad yet seem to be the only ones playing CM in defence its mental.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
But maybe we are getting players to train when they have small knocks of which we are unaware etc. There are definitely preventative measures available through monitoring of players.

We don't seem to be aware of these measures! :nervous:

I can't see that tbh, if we have some of the best medical people in the world, and an ongoing annual injury crisis, then surely they must have considered that forcing injured players to train, could possibly be contributing to our misfortune! :D

So we either haven't got the best medical people in the world, or it's something else. What worries me is that once players get injured for us, it' seems to take an absolute age for them to fully regain both form and fitness.

TC was out injured last year, supposedly for a month or 2. Yet we brought him back, he broke down, then again. In the end he was out for almost the whole season. Anderson too. Even Nani was injured and simply never recovered the type of form he had before he was injured. All very confusing, and more worrying that we seem no closer to sorting it out.

Sir A1ex

United suffered the worst injury list in the Premier League during the 2011-12 campaign, with the club suffering 39 significant problems – those lasting for at least two weeks
I was thinking about this, and 39 is a pathetic total, reckon we can smash that this season. By my reckoning we've already got 8 in the bag:

Rio
Evans
Jones x2
Smalling
Fletcher
Rooney
Young

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
My friend who is a sports scientist nut said that he was reading a paper on how stretching to prevent injuries actually does very little. We all took the piss out of him, and I said imagine the millions wasted on sports science if that was true.

Today he came back with the paper: http://andrewvs.blogs.com/files/stretching-to-prevent-injury.pdf

Over stretching aids?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Does anyone know when the hospital will open?

With the injuries mounting up we probably need a few more Wards opening to accommodate the increasing number of players.