Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

Alfie092

No idea how he will do but at least we have finally created the position we have been crying out for for several years...

United have appointed football directors? Looking outside now to see if hell froze over!

Don’t know what to think of the appointments, they are obviously not the experienced names we wanted but will give them the chance and hope they know what they’re doing.
None of the names we hyped started off as “experienced DoF” all have followed similar trajectories as Murtough. They joined in different roles and got promoted within.

VDS started off working in Ajax’s marketing department, the most none football role you can think of.

While I’m not saying these appointments are good or bad. Could very easily be Woodward hiring puppets or could be Woodward hiring the one he feels is best for the job.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That means nothing. Woodward has already specifically said he plays no part in transfers other than signing off the money. He’s still CEO and still oversees all large expenditure. His role in transfers will stay the same, minimal.

Hopefully that line will shut up the idiots who think Woodward goes around scouting his own players and making signings though.
That will make this worth it alone!

jackal&hyde

The academy has been going a lot better with recruitment over the last few years and the first team signings are also much better then in the past. If this guy was involved then maybe he really knows what he's doing.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
This is nothing but positive assuming Woodward will no longer be involved in high-end footballing decisions. Took them long enough but I am very happy with this development, really did not see it coming either.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
What’s his actual football background? He still reports to Woodward, I’m not sure an actual director of football at other clubs would do that.
He's been at the club since 2014 dealing with recruitment. He's more than capable.

He's the 2nd highest football man at the club now.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
My take as well. It is progress.

I don't know anything about him, but I'm sure more information will flood the forum soon enough. Having been with United during these years in the doldrums doesn't really promote the idea that he's the best in class. But who knows, it's been Ed and Matt running amok wasting money left, right and centre and being a complete shitshow.

The timing is good though. 3 months preparation for doing ambitious business in the summer.
To be fair I was only joking. I have no idea how good this guy is. Could be the best suited for the job no matter what his experience at the role is.

Good stuff though. If he's great then we keep him, if not then he was a stepping stone to a better outcome that had to start somewhere anyway.

marktan

Just puppets for Woodward.

What does Fletcher know about being technical? He had 1 decent season with us.

(In all honesty the signings since Ole came in have been in the right direction, including the 2 young RW options. Fletch was very impressive on Motd so I believe he'll help us a lot too with his opinion.)

Devil81

No disrespect to John Murtough but what I've just read sounds like it's a promotion to shut the media up. Just sounds like a yes man to me, how on earth can you go from looking after the players and women's team to director of football!!!!

Disgusted if I'm honest.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Doesn't seem bad at all, at least at first glance. No random guy from the outside who might have an own agenda because he would be expected to 'deliver some quality', which would be my biggest fear. I've seen it quite often at so many clubs that a manager has been doing one thing for a year or two and has certain wishes about players, then some new fancy DoF is brought in who feels he needs to make name for himself and uses his own network to bring in players that the manager didn't really want, and then eventually when results are bad there's some kind of implosion.

vodrake

Spend years tantruming about needing a director of football, then tantrum when we get one because it's not one of the 2 DOF's you actually know the name of

Greck

None of the names we hyped started off as “experienced DoF” all have followed similar trajectories as Murtough. They joined in different roles and got promoted within.

VDS started off working in Ajax’s marketing department, the most none football role you can think of.

While I’m not saying these appointments are good or bad. Could very easily be Woodward hiring puppets or could be Woodward hiring the one he feels is best for the job.
Plus Fletcher hadn't even been at the club longer than 3 months. Woodward realistically won't hand over key executive duties to a newbie (I wouldn't even want him to). It reeks of empty ceremonial appointment.

Dante

Average bang
Not sure about appointing two foreigners to the roles. Fletcher is Scottish and Murtough is scouse.

Nikelesh Reddy

One less word, feels significant.
The club statement says “John will have overall leadership and responsibility for operations and strategy across all football functions”....and Murtough in his statement said”Its an honour to LEAD the football department”...
So I think it’s pretty clear that he’s basically like a director of football...

ex and

I hope that Fletcher can be as good as Van de Saar is doing at Ajax.
I would imagine that Woodward is now freed up from daily problems and can gallivant up and down to London, which I think he prefers!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Silly question but I wonder if they go about their transfer business in the coming season with the strategy set out by the new hires, or if they run with what they had prior to making them formal now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know I’ve banged on, but I am sceptical as to how much will change, bar a job title. If Murtough has been so amazing and done great yourh, recruitment work etc so far - then we were obviously getting the benefit of these services just under another job title.

Judas

Open to offers
Just puppets for Woodward.

What does Fletcher know about being technical? He had 1 decent season with us.

(In all honesty the signings since Ole came in have been in the right direction, including the 2 young RW options. Fletch was very impressive on Motd so I believe he'll help us a lot too with his opinion.)
:lol: bloody hell. Maybe worst question I've ever seen asked on here.

jackal&hyde

Be interesting to see what this really means and what difference it'll actually make going forward.
What I hope is that we will not completely change strategies of recruitment and philosophies every time we make a manager change. Going from SAF to Moyes to Mourinho! and back has really killed the first team.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
What’s his actual football background? He still reports to Woodward, I’m not sure an actual director of football at other clubs would do that.
Wait what?

In which club do you think the DOF won't report to vice president etc?

Zen86

I'll be disappointed if I don't see a John Murtough thread in the Player Performances forum getting a bump every time we lose.