Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Silly question but I wonder if they go about their transfer business in the coming season with the strategy set out by the new hires, or if they run with what they had prior to making them formal now.
Given it's an internal appointment, you'd imagine there'll be very little disruption to current plans.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Sounds as though we're splitting the magical DoF role into three parts:
  • Football Director who oversees all operations as more of an operational strategy kind of boss
  • Technical Director who looks at things from a football perspective
  • Director of Negotiations who sits down with other teams' representatives
Then above them, you've got Woodward who runs the business as a whole.
There's a logic to this at least. Not sure if it will be successful but glad to have a football opinion for once in our transfer strategy.

Nori-

Wasn't the whole point that we bring in a Director of Football from outside as internally a lot of bad decisions have been made?

Years of asking for that and we get John Murtough......someone already at the club?!

Sigh

Chairman Steve

Remember when Arsenal appointed Sven Mislintat (Dortmund’s chief scout) and how that turned out? Or when Monchi went to Roma?

External appointments will be high risk and risk upsetting the apple cart. We should follow the Bayern model and have guys who’ve played for us, understand the club and have something about them in their post playing career, whether it’s a good eye for a player, contributions to style of play or man-management.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wasn't the whole point that we bring in a Director of Football from outside as internally a lot of bad decisions have been made?

Years of asking for that and we get John Murtough......someone already at the club?!

Sigh
No that wasnt the whole point

jackal&hyde

I know I’ve banged on, but I am sceptical as to how much will change, bar a job title. If Murtough has been so amazing and done great yourh, recruitment work etc so far - then we were obviously getting the benefit of these services just under another job title.
With the youth maybe but not at the first team level if the managers had much more power. LVG and Mourinho clearly did whatever they wanted and that's why we are where we are for 7 years. Hopefully that will not happen again.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Wait what?

In which club do you think the DOF won't report to vice president etc?
This forum things a DOF is a magic wand to save all of our woes and make everything better again or in their eyes the head of the table. Which it clearly isn't

Ludens the Red

That means nothing. Woodward has already specifically said he plays no part in transfers other than signing off the money. He’s still CEO and still oversees all large expenditure. His role in transfers will stay the same, minimal.

Hopefully that line will shut up the idiots who think Woodward goes around scouting his own players and making signings though.
Ive never believed that to be honest. I think he had a huge say in our transfers especially the more ‘galactico’ signings. It cannot be a coincidence that since he came in we suddenly started making big money, big name signings and big wages. It was definitely his directive.

I’m pretty sure fans did not believe Woodward was literally going around scouting his own players ffs :lol:
People are aware transfers go through many channels. The criticism of him was due to him as you said signing off on rubbish and clearly pushing for the galactico approach.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Given it's an internal appointment, you'd imagine there'll be very little disruption to current plans.
Yeah I thought as much. Always wonder with Ed running the show, though.

Judas

Open to offers
What I hope is that we will not completely change strategies of recruitment and philosophies every time we make a manager change. Going from SAF to Moyes to Mourinho! and back has really killed the first team.
Yep. This is the key for me. If this means we stick to a certain direction now with how we go about our business, style etc. then its long overdue. We can't keep chopping and changing directions spunking millions in the process.

Devil81

Not much I'm guessing. Fletcher right now at least doesn't have the experience for the role. Woodward and Judge will probably remain key figures in transfers. Right now it feels like a way to appease fans while retaining old powers under a new structure
That's exactly what it is, promotion from within to keep the media at bay and divert the attention away from Woody.

I've just read he was responsible for meeting and greeting new signings, basically running about keeping them happy. United could have done better than this, do they think we're stupid.

saivet

I'm a bit sceptical that there will be much change but this is better than nothing, so let's see how things go over the next couple of years.

tomaldinho1

This is nothing but positive assuming Woodward will no longer be involved in high-end footballing decisions. Took them long enough but I am very happy with this development, really did not see it coming either.
Woodward is not involved on the footballing side - this myth truly needs to die a death now - it's even been explained in official club communications

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wait what?

In which club do you think the DOF won't report to vice president etc?
You got it wrong, sorry to say that. DoF is the single most powerful position, even the vice president who actually created that role and appointed DoF should report to DoF.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I know I’ve banged on, but I am sceptical as to how much will change, bar a job title. If Murtough has been so amazing and done great yourh, recruitment work etc so far - then we were obviously getting the benefit of these services just under another job title.
Am I right in thinking Matt Judge previously reported directly to Woodward but now reports to Murtough, who in turn reports to Woodward?

Even with internal appointments, I would think adding a new layer of oversight at the level above the Director of Negotiations should have some material impact. It's one thing for a title to change but it's another for a new layer of management to be introduced.

Dan_F

He's been at the club since 2014 dealing with recruitment. He's more than capable.

He's the 2nd highest football man at the club now.
Yeah I know, I read the article. I was wondering what his background what has been pre 2014.

peridigm

Football Director rings like "Assistant to the Assistant Regional Manager".

RedDevilzFox

Wish both of them luck but this feels "yes men" being put in key positions.

I don't know anything about Murtough but what creds does fletch have of being a 'technical director of football' other than the fact he played for United?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Not much I'm guessing. Fletcher right now at least doesn't have the experience for the role. Woodward and Judge will probably remain key figures in transfers. Right now it feels like a way to appease fans while retaining old powers
Fletch is NOT dealing with transfers and only seeing if players have the cojones and mentality to play for Man Utd from the academy to the first team.

Judge answers to Murtough.

Woodward Main Man at the top
Murtough - 2nd Highest Football man at the club
Judge - Answers to Murtough.

if I'm reading this correctly and I'm confident that I am essentially Judge has now got another boss to deal with

stu_1992

:eek: I'm in shock that we actually went ahead and did it. To the people now moaning that we didn't appoint the right people, let's see how it goes first before writing them off yeah? I'd much rather appoint a DOF who gets us as a club and is in it for the long haul as opposed to fancy import who's just a mercenary for hire until his job. It seems Murtough has been involved at more of an academy level for some time now, and no one could argue against the quality of Academy signings in the last few years. If we can bring that sort of quality recruiting to the first team, we'd be in very decent hands. Also we've wanted football people in positions for a long time, now we have Fletcher in there with a direct line to the DOF. Yes he has no experience at that level but there's also no reason he couldn't pick things up quickly. He's always come across well and he probably already has a decent handle on the state of our squad having been involved in some way at coaching level since January.

kthanksbye

We could've saved this announcement for when we lost a big game, just like all the rumors of appointing a DoF have been coming after we lose games.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Sigh
The decision-making at the club does seem to have been improving the last couple of years, and it appears Murtough has been having an increasingly strong say in those decisions during that time. So the hope is that a lot of the good work is coming from him and this promotion (if it is an actual promotion and not just rebranding what he was already doing) allows him to continue improving things further.

Greck

Not much I'm guessing. Fletcher right now at least doesn't have the experience for the role. Woodward and Judge will probably remain key figures in transfers. Right now it feels like a way to appease fans while retaining old powers under a new structure
That's exactly what it is, promotion from within to keep the media at bay and divert the attention away from Woody.

I've just read he was responsible for meeting and greeting new signings, basically running about keeping them happy. United could have done better than this, do they think we're stupid.
Sorry reposting as I deleted the original while trying to edit

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Presumably if we were to get rid of Solskjaer and hire a new manager at some point, it would be the responsibility of this duo to identify the right candidate?

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I have a feeling that this is another trial and error thing that we are doing. Similar to our appointment of managers post SAF.

Jericholyte2

I now fully expect Haaland, Rice and a top CB to be wearing United kits before we come back for pre-season!