Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Wasn't the whole point that we bring in a Director of Football from outside as internally a lot of bad decisions have been made?

Years of asking for that and we get John Murtough......someone already at the club?!

Sigh
No that wasn't the point and he has been key in overhauling the youth side of things which has been a massive success.

Let's do some background work before we moan for no reason.

Dan_F

There would not be a single Football Club where Director of Football would be top most in Organisational Hierarchy . Off course they would report to Ceo or equivalent position directly or Indirectly.
Top? Obviously not. I would have thought it would make sense to report to a board, rather then one individual (unless it was the owner).

As an example, the person in an equivalent job at Chelsea would report to Abramovic, not someone else in between them.

Woodward (non football background) is still going to have the final say on football related decisions. Although you would hope that he is now going to be better informed by this change.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like it. Time will tell what impact it has, but I'd say we've been on a steady upswing for a couple of years already. We've done great work with the women's teams, we've brought a focus back to the youth teams and we've seen a good amount of top prospects in and around the first team actually getting that opportunity the last couple of years.

The manager is at the end of the day still the most important job at the club in terms of getting performances and results on the pitch, so no matter the structure you have to get that right. Moyes/Van Gaal/Mourinho were not right, regardless of structure behind them. The process of selecting these managers should be better, and maybe it is, but you can't tell in a short period of time. For now everything is going well with Ole so he'll stay until that turns.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Meh. People already at the club getting a different job title. I'll save my excitement until we see actual signs and results of these structural changes.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I have a feeling that this is another trial and error thing that we are doing. Similar to our appointment of managers post SAF.
of course it is, would have been the same had we brought in one of those sexier names people were claiming to know all about

You've got to start somewhere though

Oldyella

Intriguing. At least we are seeing some development of our internal structure. I doubt we will notice any significant change outside of the club.

Re Fletchers role, my understanding was that Butt was in charge of this up till now, or am I mistaken?

Greck

Well a couple of our previous managers would disagree that it is a myth.
Woodward flipflops every summer on this depending on how we're doing. He confidently spoke about vetoing Jose then backtracked when he saw the blowback. Under Ole he said he was no longer involved but after a few successful signings came out to talk about how our scouting database and new transfer committee he implemented were actually behind it

JJ12

Stride in the right direction. I feel as though the club has slowly (very slowly) started moving in the right direction over the last year or 2. Lets hope this works out as we all wish.

clarkydaz

:eek: I'm in shock that we actually went ahead and did it. To the people now moaning that we didn't appoint the right people, let's see how it goes first before writing them off yeah? I'd much rather appoint a DOF who gets us as a club and is in it for the long haul as opposed to fancy import who's just a mercenary for hire until his job. It seems Murtough has been involved at more of an academy level for some time now, and no one could argue against the quality of Academy signings in the last few years. If we can bring that sort of quality recruiting to the first team, we'd be in very decent hands. Also we've wanted football people in positions for a long time, now we have Fletcher in there with a direct line to the DOF. Yes he has no experience at that level but there's also no reason he couldn't pick things up quickly. He's always come across well and he probably already has a decent handle on the state of our squad having been involved in some way at coaching level since January.
this is who we are now

Zoo

Is Fletcher still going to be on the training pitch with Ole and the rest of the staff?

Matt851

Seems like he's done the job in truth since 2014. And he's clearly done a decent job - our recruitment record is much better. So hopefully it will continue in that vein.

Edit: this, presumably, is just to allow him to get more info the public eye and deflect criticism of our processes which are clearly more robust than "Ed Woodward is God and decides everything"! (And I love Ed, so I'm definitely in the tiny minority there ha ha)
You actually think our transfer record improved post 2014?

As others have mentioned just seems like we are hiring yes men for ed

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You got it wrong, sorry to say that. DoF is the single most powerful position, even the vice president who actually created that role and appointed DoF should report to DoF.
What club does it that way? The CEO is always in charge of the club as a whole, and the DoF is hired by him to run the footballing side of things. The DoF still has to report to the CEO and show that he is doing that job well, and ultimately if he's not doing it well the CEO will fire him and hire a new person for that role.

Some DoF's have 100% control of all footballing decisions (although the CEO still has to sign off on the financial side of things), some have a bit less. Murtough seems to be the latter since it sounds like he's working alongside Ole rather than truly above him.

JJ12

Meh. People already at the club getting a different job title. I'll save my excitement until we see actual signs and results of these structural changes.
Murtough in particular has been doing a very good job in his previous role. Lets see if it translates to the first team.

UpWithRivers

I dont get it. He sounds good in all aspects except what I thought was the main reasons for a DOF - To have a deep football knowledge and contact network so attract the right first team players (not just youth players). Plus he should have a major say in hiring the right managers.
Plus selling players.
Can he do that?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Intriguing. At least we are seeing some development of our internal structure. I doubt we will notice any significant change outside of the club.

Re Fletchers role, my understanding was that Butt was in charge of this up till now, or am I mistaken?
Yeah he was but Butt is leaving the club in the summer so they promoted Fletcher to take over.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
:lol: Yes! Has anyone seen @devilish ? I think I just heard his head explode.
Moyes man as director of football flanked by someone whose got around 100 hours of coaching training as technical director. This club is hilarious. :lol:

I can't understand why you're putting focus on me though. Surely I am not the only one who'll complain about it and considering my wife will be working in Covid-ITU from tomorrow I was hoping that I'll be out of the limelight for the time being. Oh well.

bsCallout

Am i in a bad dream or something? The guy was doing podcasts at the start of the season and he's now being given a role that we've been asking to transform the club. Do woodward and the glazers even take this club seriously?
What does it matter that he was doing podcasts(interviews)?:houllier:

Infra-red

'Cautious optimism' is probably the appropriate reaction.

Even though it's an internal appointment, it is a positive sign that 'football men' will be making the key decisions with regards to football and that Matt Judge will report into Murtough, rather than his old mate Woodward.

Our first team player recruitment has largely been appalling for nigh on a decade - hopefully this shake up might lead to better outcomes for us in the transfer market.

Tony247

These guys must be unofficially playing the roles so far, it's just made official, I guess.

More than DoF, I was expecting reshuffle in transfer roles. Except for Bruno our recent transfers are more or less stop-gap solution or failures. Every window gone, gone is the opportunity to strengthen the squad. It delays the process by at least 6 months, worse case 1 year.

Nothing new it seems. Just carry on with the business as usual it seems.

Greck

Not sure you're being serious claiming that Darren Fletcher who's been at United since he was 11 years old as only being around the club for a few months
so you really couldn't tell that I was referring to his coaching and executive credentials?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
At least the position is there now, by the way. We have an appointed director of football, which means they can change should a big name in that field come along. We haven’t had this before. It’s a step in the right direction.

JJ12

Yeah he was but Butt is leaving the club in the summer so they promoted Fletcher to take over.
Where is Butt going? Is it to do with him and the domestic violence incident?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Top? Obviously not. I would have thought it would make sense to report to a board, rather then one individual (unless it was the owner).

As an example, the person in an equivalent job at Chelsea would report to Abramovic, not someone else in between them.

Woodward (non football background) is still going to have the final say on football related decisions. Although you would hope that he is now going to be better informed by this change.
In a normal company structure, everyone reports to the CEO.

There can be unspoken exceptions or agreed on exceptions to the rule, for example that the position reports to the board.

Abramovic is a outlier in the sense that he's both owner, god and king in Chelsea. The Manchester United ownership places all operational powers in Ed Woodward and only Ed reports to the board. Really all it depends on is the organizational structure.

Football clubs are a bit different since they have 2 major fields of operation: Sport and Commercial, so depending on ownership, structures will vary.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Yep. This is the key for me. If this means we stick to a certain direction now with how we go about our business, style etc. then its long overdue. We can't keep chopping and changing directions spunking millions in the process.
Agreed. I'd like us to be looking at the bigger picture, have a plan that fits with the club ethos, like a proper club.

#oleout

Oldyella

Ah right. Wasn't aware of that. Glad Fletcher is getting the role, always liked the guy and seems to talk common sense. Hope he's a success.