Manchester United officials looking at plans to expand Old Trafford capacity to 88,000 | Scrapped?

What will happen first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stu1975

I can’t see how we would have to leave to increase the B.C. stand when we could play there when every other stand was extended especially when technology and engineering has improved.

Yes O.T. is going to be left behind when we see other great stadiums being built but I wouldn’t want to leave for another when all we need is less money to be spent to bring it up to scratch.

As for the naming thing.....No !!!

stevoc

would not need to leave OT, The only real option I can see is , if they want a new stadium and I believe we do if we dont want to be left behind, is to buy up enough land , to build a new one and still use OT as it is being built. Massive task and mega money but look at Spurs new stadium , state of the art
I'm not sure i'm following you here mate. If the club built a new stadium that would surely involve leaving Old Trafford once the new stadium is built would it not?

Hal9000

Can we not just take a hit on not using the stand for a year?
Would imagine as there is not much room, due to the train line/housing, any construction equipment/materials would need to be placed pitch side. You'd certainly cut off certain access points around the east and west stand either side.

stevoc

I can’t see how we would have to leave to increase the B.C. stand when we could play there when every other stand was extended especially when technology and engineering has improved.

Yes O.T. is going to be left behind when we see other great stadiums being built but I wouldn’t want to leave for another when all we need is less money to be spent to bring it up to scratch.

As for the naming thing.....No !!!
Yeah that sound like a bit of an excuse to be honest. We didn't have to leave in 1995 and the north stand was completely bulldozed. There isn't as much access on that side of the stadium because of the rail track. But the club own all the land to the left of the south stand so there is access. It would probably take longer than it would if it was on the other side of the stadium but it's certainly possible.

stevoc

Yes , I ment has the new one was being built.
I don't think the club want to build a new stadium. I don't see how it makes sense financially when we have a 75,000 seater stadium that could be renovated for maybe half the price of a new one.

Real and Barca both went down the renovation route, because they have famous stadiums also. The Nou Camp and Santiago Bernabeu were only built in the 50's i think, OT is over 100 years old. Theres a lot of history there, too much to chuck away for a new template stadium.

Last edited:

Rafaeldagold

I would hate us to ever leave Old Trafford. It’s a part of our identity, history and part of what makes Manchester United. So I’m all for expanding it as much as we can, even if it’s not brand new and shiny. Pretty soon we’ll be the only big club left with a historic stadium with Arsenal, City, Spurs, Chelsea and potentially Liverpool all moving- we’ll be unique and that’s a good thing.

Stu1975

I would hate us to ever leave Old Trafford. It’s a part of our identity, history and part of what makes Manchester United. So I’m all for expanding it as much as we can, even if it’s not brand new and shiny. Pretty soon we’ll be the only big club left with a historic stadium with Arsenal, City, Spurs, Chelsea and potentially Liverpool all moving- we’ll be unique and that’s a good thing.
Liverpool won’t leave for the same reasons we won’t.

stevoc

Anyone know anything about temporary stadiums made from scaffolding?

Could building a temporary modular stadium on the land beside OT be an option while OT is being renovated?

I've seen smaller stadiums being built for olympics etc. and theres that giant stand they built in Russia for the world cup.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Could building a temporary modular stadium on the land beside OT be an option while OT is being renovated?

I've seen smaller stadiums being built for olympics etc. and theres that giant stand they built in Russia for the world cup.

Looks awful. The people at the top of that stand won't be able to see shit.

cyril C

If we had a new stadium with say 100,000 capacity then clawing the money spent on it would not take too long
OK let's do the maths. Adding 24K seats could mean 24K x 500 GBP p.a. on additional season tickets, say 12m. More executive box and cup matches might bring this up to 20m p.a.

Now look at the cost - 1b, and let's ignore cost during transition period. 1B means annual interest of 60m, hence sucking up 40-80m of current resource in order to pay off interest and pay back the principle in 25 years time.

But the original discussion was about increasing it to 88K seats, which means additional seats is halved to 12K, hence revenue also halved to less than 10m p.a.

Or the Club can raise the season ticket to 1000 pound matching Arsenal's.....

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

No way would that work in Manchester. Everyone would die from either drowning, hypothermia or a gust of wind blowing the whole thing down.

stevoc

Looks awful. The people at the top of that stand won't be able to see shit.
Yeah a bit like the 3rd tier of the north sand at OT. I think they just threw that up to meet a capacity limit for the world cup though.

stevoc

No way would that work in Manchester. Everyone would die from either drowning, hypothermia or a gust of wind blowing the whole thing down.
I would think a complete stadium like that would have to be smaller in scale. So i don't know maybe 40-50,000 capacity with some sort of roof cover.

I don't see renting another stadium for a year being an option, theres none close to manchester that makes sense either from a capacity point of view or logistics. The City stadium would obviously be perfect but i doubt United would want to go down that route.

Lennon7

OK let's do the maths. Adding 24K seats could mean 24K x 500 GBP p.a. on additional season tickets, say 12m. More executive box and cup matches might bring this up to 20m p.a.

Now look at the cost - 1b, and let's ignore cost during transition period. 1B means annual interest of 60m, hence sucking up 40-80m of current resource in order to pay off interest and pay back the principle in 25 years time.

But the original discussion was about increasing it to 88K seats, which means additional seats is halved to 12K, hence revenue also halved to less than 10m p.a.

Or the Club can raise the season ticket to 1000 pound matching Arsenal's.....
500 quid? The average adult season ticket price is £740, and there’s already some seats that go for close to a grand. The only ones close to £500 are up in the clouds, which a south stand second tier wouldn’t be. Infact, a second tier in the south stand would go for £798-836 if they’d be similar prices to the north stand T2.

Jacko21

Comes down to cost.

Too often the club are guilty of being reactive rather than proactive.

Don't think they'll act until their hand is forced - as in, the demand for corporate hospitality is such that expansion becomes imperative. After all, this discussion is only resurfacing because of the reduced capacity to accommodate additional disabled seating.

Lennon7

I would think a complete stadium like that would have to be smaller in scale. So i don't know maybe 40-50,000 capacity with some sort of roof cover.

I don't see renting another stadium for a year being an option, theres none close to manchester that makes sense either from a capacity point of view or logistics. The City stadium would obviously be perfect but i doubt United would want to go down that route.
I don’t think it’s feasible to have 50,000 people pile into a scaffolding stadium for a whole season. Health and safety wouldn’t allow it for starters.

stevoc

I don’t think it’s feasible to have 50,000 people pile into a scaffolding stadium for a whole season. Health and safety wouldn’t allow it for starters.
That would obviously depend on how it is designed. I'm sure if United hire a company to design a short term stadium then obviously it will meet all required health and safety standards. They aren't going to throw up something dodgy and hope for the best. West ham currently have large scaffolding stands in their stadium, so it seems perfectly feasible.

Lennon7

That would obviously depend on how it is designed. I'm sure if United hire a company to design a short term stadium then obviously it will meet all required health and safety standards. They aren't going to throw up something dodgy and hope for the best. West ham currently have large scaffolding stands in their stadium, so it seems perfectly feasible.
Don’t you think building a huge temporary stadium that’s sturdy enough to last a whole season would be extremely pricey though? Businesses like United unfortunately are have to take in the whole value of the project into account and generally won’t go for it if they’re losing money overall. Hundreds of million for a temp stadium + hundreds of million for the renovation wouldn’t make sense.

Stu1975

Jezz...imagine bouncing up and down with thousands at the back of that thing...no thanks.
In reality,that type of stand isn't going to happen.

stevoc

Don’t you think building a huge temporary stadium that’s sturdy enough to last a whole season would be extremely pricey though? Businesses like United unfortunately are have to take in the whole value of the project into account and generally won’t go for it if they’re losing money overall. Hundreds of million for a temp stadium + hundreds of million for the renovation wouldn’t make sense.
I'm no expert on the matter mate but i doubt renting a temporary stadium would cost hundreds of millions. There are companies that will design and build them for you.

This is the temporary stadium Cagliari are using this season. 16,000 Capacity and built for a reported 6-7m euros.

stevoc

Jezz...imagine bouncing up and down with thousands at the back of that thing...no thanks.
In reality,that type of stand isn't going to happen.
Why?

They are built all the time, there are two (smaller) ones in West hams ground right now. This one was built in New Zealand for the Rugby world cup

Lentwood

Knock it down, re-build it somewhere in the Didsbury area. Install Lay Z Boy's for every fan. Hand out free slankets. Start serving Dixy Chicken in the Kiosks. Let us drink beer in view of the pitch.

I'd probably turn up then instead of letting half my tickets go to waste :)

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
This. Maybe if the club were going to build a smaller stadium on the surrounding land next to OT for the reserves and/or the women's team then we could move the first team there for a season, but that obviously would either be a fraction of OT's attendance for that season, or that stadium would be emptier than City on a Champions League group stage night when our other teams played there.

Stu1975

Why?

They are built all the time, there are two (smaller) ones in West hams ground right now. This one was built in New Zealand for the Rugby world cup

It’s a big enough job with the limited space without building a temporary stand there while works completed that’s why.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The financial payback would not be worth it considering the financial opportunity costs and the fact that the matchday revenue is an ever-diminishing portion of our total revenues.

stevoc

It’s a big enough job with the limited space without building a temporary stand there while works completed that’s why.
Ok i might be wrong here mate but it seems like you weren't following the conversation. No one is suggesting building a temporary stand onto Old Trafford. I was suggesting building a temporary stadium on the land next to OT.

This is supposed to be the amount of land United now own around Old Trafford. Don't think it's 100% accurate but it gives us an idea.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
We need a full revamp more than anything. The stadium is a shit hole. I can’t think of another giant club that hasn’t had some sort of major revamp or a new stadium in the past 10 years.

We’re always the last to make changes to anything we do.

Jacko21

The financial payback would not be worth it considering the financial opportunity costs and the fact that the matchday revenue is an ever-diminishing portion of our total revenues.
It's more about the additional corporate hospitality that the club would benefit from. An extra tier and two new quadrants would give them ample space to include new, best-in-class hospitality - an area in which they are falling behind.

Stu1975

Ok i might be wrong here mate but it seems like you weren't following the conversation. No one is suggesting building a temporary stand onto Old Trafford. I was suggesting building a temporary stadium on the land next to OT.

This is supposed to be the amount of land United now own around Old Trafford. Don't think it's 100% accurate but it gives us an idea.

I was following it as temporary stands were suggested.
A complete temporary stadium is a worse idea imo.

Why would you go to the hassle and cost of that venture when all needs done is an extension and some upgrades?
Both feasible without moving or building an extra stadium.

Last edited: